Boneless' Bodyweight Training

Ivarboneless

Went to compete against OU in an NCAA gymnastics meet. I'm not in the best shape right now, my right shoulder is injured. I'm basically taking an extended rest and then I'm going to come out training primarily armwrestling. I had to keep up the gymnastics training for OU, but now I'm free. I got put on conduct probation at school, so I can't compete for the gymnastics team anymore for the duration of the sanction.

So, just trying to get this injury to go away...then it's time to FINALLY get back down to business. Injuries have held me down for too long. Now they're all in control except the right shoulder, so if I can heal that up I can come forward 100%.

I'm thinking of sizing up to 175lb or so. I'm still gonna win my world title at 154, but I think I'm going to accomplish it with a drastic weight cut rather than staying light. The 154 class seems manageable to win, but if you feel the 165 guys you don't want none of that. We'll see what happens...my self image continuously holds me back when I'm on the weight gain. I see myself as a lighter guy, so I regularly fail to commit to gaining size.

I'm not going to the Arnold. Too expensive and right around my exams. Of these guys:

Brad Spine/ Chris Phillips/ Brent Norris/ Vazgen Soghoyan/ Rick Soliwoda/ Willie Lambert/ Corey Miller/ Simon Berrichoa/ Michael Hann/ Mike Surplus/ Norm Devio/ Tom Simko/ Kris Mikels/ Maksim Khodau/ Marlon Hicks/ Mike Weitzel/ Scott Cusitan/ Chris Burk, Jr/ Tim Inman/ Jordan McGuire/ Terry Spine/ Joel Wickizer/ Josh Handeland/ Alan Berget/ Matt Wiggins/ Dan Bellefuille/

I'm not sure who's going and Roman isn't on there, but assuming that UAL was a qualifier...then Roman is going to win, with Corey taking second (assuming he's 54), and Vazgen taking 3rd and Dan Bellefuille 4th

If no Corey, then Roman...Vazgen...Dan Bellefuille...Kris Mikels

Kris is kind of interesting. He's strong, but not near Corey, Roman or Vazgen (he's around my level). He could make his way to the top three depending on the draw. He's good inside and up top which makes him an interesting candidate. I'm not super familiar with the Canadians, but I think Kris can beat Tim Inman, Spine, Norm, Surplus, and probably the Canadians except Dan and Matt. Historically Dan has been the best in Canada righty...recently Wiggins looked like a beast, but I'm going to give the nod to Dan here and assume he was out of shape or injured or something.

The Arnold is freaking impossible to predict because you NEVER know who's going to be there.

Crap, just saw Rick in the mix. Put Rick where Dan is in all my predictions assuming he shows up.

Final prediction (if all show up and Corey not there): Roman, Vazgen, Rick, Dan

What got you on probation, dude? You stop posting for what seemes like a decade and then you skip the BEST parts??? You MUST tell us. Or we'll all stop reading this log. I check it everyday, when when under the title it says "last post january 15th" or whatever, I say "hell, that could be a glitch in the Gripboard, maybe he just wrote something". And I never lose hope even after dozens of days of this happening... sometimes multiple times a day. I'm sure others do it too, but are afraid to show their love for ya bro. :tongue

So what was it??? they caught you colorado-ing off a 120 foot tree? You slept with the dean's daughter? What??? Come on!!

• 3 weeks later...

That's some funny sht Arturo :D

It was mostly an over reaction on the part of the University in my opinion. We went to UT (rival school) and we were causing a bit of mayhem over there and my friends got detained by les flics. They didn't want to take the heat so they scapegoated me and I came back and took the heat when I had originally escaped because I wasn't an idiot and didn't stand around waiting for the bastards to get too close. UT campus PD didn't think too much of it and let us go, but informed A&M of the incident and A&M FLIPPED THE F OUT. I got hit with all kinds of insane sanctions.

A&M is losing what made it special these days...pretty soon it's going to be a mediocre university in the middle of nowhere.

I've been injured. I'm getting some much needed rest to my armwrestling parts (elbows and shoulders). I have an injured subscapularis which is impeding my training. I'm eating everything in sight that's healthy and my weight is about 165lb. I've been training forearms and chinups like crazy. My hand/wrist is in excellent shape right now and my back is in PR form.

Everything feels pretty good if only I could train it. I'm eating right and training forearm, back, legs and stomach (which has remained uninjured). I can't do pressing exercises because they aggravate the injury. I've recently become capable of doing some tricep press isometrics and possibly basic pushups without pain, so this week I will implement those into my training.

Perhaps another month and I'll be able to train hard again. I'm starting to be able to put sidepressure without pain....at the start of my rest period even an EASY stretch band would cause pain if I used sidepressure....this was the shape of my arm at nationals and worlds.

Thanks for caring guys! I cannot promise to post here often anymore, but I will do my best. If you keep up with the sport of armwrestling you'll be hearing about me a lot over the next few years.

2010 GOALS

Hand:

MM0 cert.............................(FAILED...BUT I CAN CLOSE MY #3 ANY TIME, SO UNOFFICIAL SUCCESS)

5 sec one arm chin isometric from rolling 2 3/8" PVC (MUCH harder than rolling thunder)......(FAILED...that's freaking hard)

climb consistent v6 (be able to flash) and/or climb a v6 outside....(SUCCESS)

improve armwrestling handstrength......(SUCCESS)

Body:

Planche........................(FAIL)

improve inverted cross.................(It gets credit)

improve maltese........................(SUCCESS)

improve butterfly cross................(FAIL)

one arm tricep press isometric.........(MASSIVE SUCCESS)

5 front lever pullups..................(SUCCESS)

6 one arm chins........................(FAIL. 5 or one + 35lb)

15 handstand pushups...................(FAIL. 14 damnit)

Leg:

Dunk a basketball..........(FAIL. easy rim grab gotta work my dribble)

Competition:

Do well at my gymnastics meets and qualify where needed/desired...........(SUCCESS)

place top 10 at gymnastics nationals.......................................(SUCCESS. 9th)

armwrestling national champion.............................................(FAIL. 2nd twice)

Qualify for WAF in USA......................................................(IMPRESSIVE SUCCESS)

make my armwrestling competition presence as good as I am at practice.......(SUCCESS)

That's how 2010 worked out for me. I'm carrying numerous injuries so I'm having a hard time getting those gymnastics strength skills. I guess I may have "improved" them, but hell I want to actually compete those moves.

I always end up training things that aren't on the list which is why a lot of stuff gets failed. Grip went through the roof. I failed to get my MM0 done, but as of right now I have closed every single #3 that I've ever touched including one that Paul Knight said is the toughest 3 he's ever felt. So I'm satisfied with my grippers for the year despite not actually getting my MM0.

Grip was hitting PRs everywhere this year...I think largely because grip isn't injured. Everything else on me seems to keep carrying injuries. Stomach, back, shoulder elbows etc. They all bother me.

I'll update later this week with goals.

So an invertet cross is easier for you, than a planche?

I would've never thought that.

Best of luck with your armwrestling!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a straddle planche is much easier for me than an invert. However, a straight body planche is much harder for me than an invert. I think it has to do with leverage. Crosses aren't affected by my height as much as lever skills are.

As of late:

BW: 162lb

Chinups:

Been training one arm stuff hard. I've also started working all hand positions. I used to just use a neutral grip to do one arm chins, but now I can do reps in all hand positions. A typical chin workout looks like the one I did last night:

2X1 one arm chins (neutral)

2X4 one arm chins (neutral)

2X2 one arm chins (supinated)

1X1 one arm chins (supinated)

5X1 one arm pullups

3X30 chin/pullups (1 each hand position)

3X10sec isometric one arm chin hold at top (supinated)

Most of the time I do my chins with my wrists hooked over the top of the bar which is a spinning 2 3/8" PVC. This time I didn't so that I could push my numbers.

My hand is doing well. I'm squishing the #3 any day of the week, and my wrist strength is on point. I can do a one arm lockoff from spinning 2 3/8" PVC which is SUPER HARD.....ie much harder than a one arm chin from a RT. 45hex work is at PR level.

Core appears to be healed up because I've started training it again with no problems.

My primary goal right now is to dunk a basketball. My bball playing friends say that I'm getting plenty of height, but my ball handling skills have decreased to a quite amazing degree since when I used to play. I've been doing a lot of leg work and I've started doing a lot of ball handling drills so that I can dunk that sht.

Watch some Spud Webb videos and you'll gain at least 6" on your vertical, you'll dunk it in no time Ivar.

I went out to the courts yesterday to work on my ball handling skills. Did that stuff for three hours or so, it came back pretty quick. I'm still not as good as I used to be, but now I don't look like a complete fool with the ball.

I asked my father to come out there and help me out. I had him alley oop it to me and you know what happened? YOUR BOY DUNKED SON! Jammed that sht TWICE then my father left to do some work.

March 15, 2011 will forever stand as the day that I dunked for the first time. Childhood dream fulfilled baby!

That was the major story of the day. I'm close dribbling it up there myself, but I always end up botching some portion of it. My steps will be off, I'll get a bad jump, I'll lose the ball midair etc. It'll happen soon though. Has to be a legit solo dunk to really count, but at least I can alley oop now.

I also did some tricep stuff and abs. Did some single rafter pinch grip hangs.

Did a set of 6 one arm chins with both hands a few days ago. Big PR...been chasing that for a while. Neutral grip.

I've been training all 3 grips (pronated, supinated, neutral). I can do 3-4 in the other two grips, much stronger at neutral...but then again I always trained that way before.

When I'm armwrestling once a week (3hr practice) I can boulder hard three times a week.

When you first get started tendonitis will be a major concern so I would ease into such an intense schedule. For a beginner I would suggest armwrestling practice on Saturday/Sunday and boulder on Wed/Thurs. That will give your tendons ample recovery time, then after a few months you can start doing the armwrestling and boulder 3X/week.

• 1 month later...

Probably the Europa supershow in Dallas.

Been busy guys, but now:

Fightin Texas Aggie Yellowpot for T.O. Walton Hall

A-WHOOP!

Build the Hell Outa Bonfire and Load the Hell Outa Trucks!

Been training, eating right etc. Little out of shape, but it comes back quick. Hand is still in good shape.

Still training. Will start to update the log again after my finals. I'll probably be posting regularly again in three days. Been climbing a lot of V5s and V6s. Currently working on a V7 pocket problem that is AWESOME! I can link the bottom to the crux and finish after the crux, but the crux move is insane....the reach is incredible and I may have to dyno the move. The entire route is basically shallow two finger pockets. I alternate using middle and ring with middle and index to keep my hand as fresh as possible, but that damn crux move is insane.

Hope everyone elses training has been going well.

BW: 163.3lb

Alright. Back.

Hand:

6X10sec armwrestling position hold #1 closed (ie wrist slightly flexed)

5X20 #1 TNS reps

5X5sec one arm hang from 3/4" ledge

the two arm chins and pullups done from 3/4" ledge

Chin/pullups:

2X1 one arm chin (neutral)

1X3 one arm chins (neutral)

2X2 one arm chins (supinated)

1X1 one arm chin (supinated)

2X2 one arm pullups

1X1 one arm pullup

1X30 neutral chins

1X30 chinups

1X30 pullups

Front Lever:

3X3sec front lever

6X10sec pull straddle lever

Handstand:

4X30sec handstand

Leg:

Played basketball for 2.5 hours. Numerous rim grabs etc

Core:

5X30sec L hang

3X1:00 side hollow hold

2X2:00 arch hold

Stretched for a couple hours. Pretty tight, but I'm loosening up quick.

I feel pretty good for sitting around 6 months. I dabbled a bit with chins for a week or so, then I messed around with dunking but other than that I literally ate ice cream the whole time. Bodyweight stayed the same and I'm probably good for 5 one arm chins right now!

I'm going to take a couple weeks to get back in peak general shape then start armwrestling training full bore. Yes, David Rue that means HEAVY and low rep with WEIGHTS instead of bodyweight AND armwrestling specific movements.

Thanks!

Hand:

10X10sec hold #1 closed inverted in armwrestling position

5X20 #1 TNS inverted

Tricep:

a few sets of 20 slow dips (aggravated shoulder, so I didn't do the usual amount)

4X25 pushups

5X30sec handstand

3X10sec one arm tricep press isometric

3X1:00 tricep press isometric

That's it. Pretty sore from the pullup day and pressing aggravates my shoulder so I had to take it light. Easing back into it this week. God forbid I have any more injuries! Taking a rest day tomorrow (might go running) then back at it on Thurs. Trying to take it slow the first couple weeks and then get back to work.

Crazy that you stay at the same weight while eating whatever! Wow. I wish I were naturally lean like that. :tongue

Hit some weights Ivar. And eat for crying out loud. Are you 20 yet? For what we know you might still be growing so limiting food intake could hinder you for life, I'd love to see how strong you get by eating hardand Lifting hard too! Sounds like you'll lift soon, which is awesome news! Time to get super strong :)

Been eating. 4 big meals a day. Don't forget I'm in a weightclass sport so I can't get too crazy...the weight I put on has to be high quality weight.

I'm 21 now. I'm the shortest male in my family including grandparents etc (5'11") so I probably did mess myself up limiting food intake in highschool.

Took Tues as a rest day to recover a bit.

Wednesday:

Hand:

some 1 arm hangs from 3/4" ledge

all chins done with bent wrist

6X10sec hold #1 in armwrestling position (3 invert, 3 normal)

5X20 #1 TNS (3 invert, 2 normal)

Back:

1X1 one arm chin (neutral)

1X4 one arm chins (neutral)

2X1 one arm chin (supinated)

1X3 one arm chins (supinated)

2X1 one arm pullup

1X3 one arm pullup

3X30 chinups (1 set in each hand position)

5X5 straddle front lever pullups

3X5sec pull straddle lever

Core:

5X30sec L hang

1X20 alternating hanging side crunches

Been stretching and walking. I haven't been posting that. I wake up and do 1hr of stretching straight away. I'll start running next week I believe....I will start I just REALLY don't want to start now. I'm pretty good at running (6 min mile) but I hate it....that feeling just sucks. I prefer a sprint stop sort of deal...like playing football.

Got lazy with the grip stuff. Was going to do 2HP but did grippers again instead so that I could go to my friend's house to watch a movie. I will train Thurs and then take a rest Friday.

Well if you're 21 you still might grow a little bit more, nobody knows. I wouldn't say you "messed yourself up" by eating at a caloric deficit (while also working out like mad!) during your teen years. But maybe you would have been a bit bigger, yeah, I guess we'll never know unless you have a long lost twin that ate like a horse and trained for strength and is benching 650 in a basement somewhere, standing 6'4" 325# with at least a visible "4-pack". LOL. :upsidedwn

L-hangs are for p***ies Ivar! :D I thought someone at your level would certainly devote their time to L-sits instead of L-hangs. :whistel:tongue

I feel like I would have been at least 6'1" if I had eaten correctly. Oh well, maybe it's better...cause now I fit into a lower weightclass and still have large hands/feet etc.

Thursday:

10lb sledge. All measures from front of hand

Hand:

5X1 sledge front weaver deadlift 20" from head (front of hand)

5X5 hammer curls 18" from head (front of hand)

5X5 sledge rotations 10" from head

3X10 rear weaver levers 20" from head

Tricep:

6X1:00 handstand

3X10sec one arm tricep press isometric

3X1:00 tricep press isometric starting with 10 reps

Core:

2X2:00 arch hold

5X30sec L SIT ON RINGS (ATTN ARTURO!!)

3X1:00 side hollow

Pushup variations were giving me pain so I didn't do them. Experimented with some cross work....slight pain didn't push it. Did a lot of stretching as usual stayed active throughout day. I hate injuries.

Friday: REST

Nice!! I am now intrigued by honk's post. I'm curious, how do you compare the 30 seconds L-hang to the 30 seconds L-sit on rings? To me the L-sit is a lot more difficult. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Also is that "stomach injury" you've mentioned in the past fully healed?