Wes's Training Log

Wes

I also replied to ya on the bending page, if your checking this one first. Absolutely sick bend man. I up here killing myself with measly 3/16 square and your tearing that stuff up!!! Very nice work.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wes

• unseenbeat

• Alawadhi

• don chi

I also replied to ya on the bending page, if your checking this one first. Absolutely sick bend man. I up here killing myself with measly 3/16 square and your tearing that stuff up!!! Very nice work.

Thanks don, I've been reading your log, and you seem to be making good progress as well :rock

Edited by Wes

Some awesome lifting Wes, the amount of seriously strong people on this board is scary. Especially when they're a year or so younger than me! :help . You still aiming for a one arm pullup? Not seen much training for it in your log.

Any idea what grade your climbing at?

Some awesome lifting Wes, the amount of seriously strong people on this board is scary. Especially when they're a year or so younger than me! :help . You still aiming for a one arm pullup? Not seen much training for it in your log.

Any idea what grade your climbing at?

I'm going to do weighted pullups to try and get there, but I'm doing 20 rep squats and heavy compound exercises to increase my weight to around 240 for wrestling, so it's gonna take a lot longer, if at all. I really have no idea what I climb, as all we have are indoor gyms here in FL, but I just try and follow the taped routes.

Edited by Wes

You still aiming for a one arm pullup? Not seen much training for it in your log.

We do bouldering pretty much solely, Wes has done hard V2's.

And note that just b/c it's not in the log, doesn't mean he hasn't done it. For example, Wes had actually been bending for quite sometime, but he'd do it like once every week-and-a-half or something, and at times longer than that.

You gotta let me try them wraps Wes. What's funny, is that I kinked a Grade 5 harder than you did at my house last weekend with my IM wraps. Maybe your right, and leather will make a bug difference.

Yeah, leather helps a lot, but what really helped was spreading my fingers out on the bar more, not just trying with 2 on the ends.

Did some 2 hand plate pinch, I suck horribly at these, might have something to do with rarely training pinch. :laugh

95x 5 secs

115 x 3 secs

135x 3 secs

140 x 3 secs

145 x 3 secs PR for me, even though my hands were shot when I started.

Earlier while I was still warm from pinching, I took a 35 that I use for hubbing and added 2 5 lb plates with a pin and 'biner and hubbed it to full lockout for a total of 45lbs, which is a PR for me!

Did some Inch handle and gripper work

2.4 Gripper

10 no set singles either hand

2006 #3 CCS attempts, made it down to paper width :cry

Loadable Inch Handle (off-center, 2.5x4 inch handle)

60x3

90x3

120x3

140x2

160x1

The handle was wet from tropical storm Alberto, so mabye I had another 5 lbs or so in me, this handle is so much friggin' harder than my PVC rolling thunder! It just wants to roll out like a mother.

Inch Handle Clean and strict press

35x10

45x5

60x5

Since Tropical Storm Alberto is raining like hell outside, I loaded the handle up to 70 lbs and left it in my room and cleaned and strict pressed 70lbs which is a big PR. About every 15 minutes I'll walk back and clean and press it, probably 20 or so times so far.

Was that Pat Gansel?

Edit: NM, answered my own question, I just didn't know he'd done it outside of a choker.

Edited by unseenbeat

Was that Pat Gansel?

Edit: NM, answered my own question, I just didn't know he'd done it outside of a choker.

Yep, strong ass dude. Did a lot of crazy volume work. Oh yeah, I ordered the get a grip video by joe kinney, should be here within a couple of weeks. :rock

I was screwing around, choking my #4 and my best effort was 1/4''. I felt it move down, but I don't know if it cleared the choker tho'. Hopefully I can work something out with Climber511 and have a secret weapon, and then I'll start doing lots of negatives with it and the 4.

Edited by Wes

wow!!!!!!!!!!!! the #4 was nothing to him! who is he? i mean what is his background in grip?

wow!!!!!!!!!!!! the #4 was nothing to him! who is he? i mean what is his background in grip?

He's no set a 3, repped a 4 in a choker, pinched 2 45's, closed an elite and a super elite. I've seen his name in a few grip comps as well.

Here is his old log, look where he is closing a 3 upwards of 400 times a day, and 1270 reps with the 2 a day and 2000 full range with the trainer a day!

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=14502

Edited by Wes

Awesome workout today! Well, not really a workout, more like a short screw around session, as the total time was like 3 minutes :D

Did 2 2.5 closes to warm my hands, they were pretty warmed already from waxing the underside of a boat earlier tho', which took a couple of hours.

Did some 3 closes, paralell set about 4 total. Did 2 paralell reps with no chalk.

I've been screwing around on the #4 a lot, I chalked up like a mother, set it to paralell and grabbed the spring with my left hand and squeezed HARD. I got it down to about 5/8th's of an inch. It's going down within a couple of months :mosher

Edited by Wes

I got it down to about 5/8th's of an inch.

Loser.

:flame:flame:flame:flame:flame:flame:flame

Which is about as far as U get my 3!! :D

Your #3? You mean my warm-up gripper? :tongue

I ain't touched your three in quite sometime, so who knows. Though that's probably true still, as the previous statement is exactly why. I'm messin with the grippers still, but open-hand strength is more what I've been looking for.

I ain't touched your three in quite sometime, so who knows. Though that's probably true still, as the previous statement is exactly why. I'm messin with the grippers still, but open-hand strength is more what I've been looking for.

I'll have to loan you my hard ass 2 and let you try and TNS it. Even I can't close that thing all the time. So far it's been filed both sides, shortened, and the checkering has been sanded off. It's about a 2.4-2.5 now. That sanding made it slippery as hell.

I'll have to loan you my hard ass 2 and let you try and TNS it. Even I can't close that thing all the time. So far it's been filed both sides, shortened, and the checkering has been sanded off. It's about a 2.4-2.5 now. That sanding made it slippery as hell.

I don't think training to smash slippery grippers is very conducive to training with stuff that is checkered. It just seems like it would make closes more random.

And has it been shortened anymore? Because when it first got shortened, I remember me and Joel not actually finding it any harder. I think I almost no set it back then. I always found that #2 easier thna the one I have, maybe after all the stuff you've done to it, it is harder.

Did a bending workout today, my hands are too sore from the 20+ #3 attempts at the cert, and the closes on mine afterward to work grippers or pinch

-Bent 2 60d nails and did some sledgehammer levering as a warmup

-Bent a 5.5'' inch grade 5 bolt (1/2'' off center), I would try a 5'', but I'm out of Gr5's

-Bent one of my mutant 6'' Grade 2's. I bought these at a flea market, and they are almost exactly the same as a 6'' Grade 5. I think they were mispackaged in china or wherever they were made.

-Bent 5 60d's as a warm down.

-Did some more levering

Pinc and crush workouts will come tom. if my hands feel good, or the day after if not.

Edited by Wes