• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wes

• unseenbeat

• Alawadhi

• don chi

Wes, I guess being 6' 4" helps out your climbing huh? Real nice work on the pullups.

Thanks, being 6'4 does give you a hell of a reach, but there are times I wish I didn't weigh 200 :happy Sometimes you just want to be 5'6 and 120 with small hands that make small holds seem huge :D That pump starts to set in real quick when you weigh twice what some of the other climbers weigh, I just have to make up for it.

Edited by Wes

Checked my height, it is 6'4 without shoes.

In light of the recent inspiring lifting vid on the GR forum, I was inspired to compare my weighted pullups with the weightlifting master only known as "Joey" :D

BWx5 (total of 200 lbs)

BW+35x3 (total of 235)

BW+60x1 (total of 260)

BW+70x1 (total of 270)

BWx5

Had to stop, my hand was killin' me!

First time doing weighted pullups. I've done weighted chinups before, but never got around to doing pullups. I'm setting a goal to do a pullup with 100 lbs of extra weight. Seems achieveable, I'll try and do it by my birthday, june 20. Oughta transfer to rock climbing well.

What do you mean you've done weighted chinups before but not pullups? And ya bein 6'4" definately doesn't help your climbin, but if you wanna do it, you'll just have to adjust. My thing is Wes, you wanna do too many things. You can't go and try to do so much at once, as you often do, as it impedes your progress in everything. I'm not speakin about anythin in general, just takin note of your goals and interests from various websites.

Edited by unseenbeat

Checked my height, it is 6'4 without shoes.

In light of the recent inspiring lifting vid on the GR forum, I was inspired to compare my weighted pullups with the weightlifting master only known as "Joey" :D

BWx5 (total of 200 lbs)

BW+35x3 (total of 235)

BW+60x1 (total of 260)

BW+70x1 (total of 270)

BWx5

Had to stop, my hand was killin' me!

First time doing weighted pullups. I've done weighted chinups before, but never got around to doing pullups. I'm setting a goal to do a pullup with 100 lbs of extra weight. Seems achieveable, I'll try and do it by my birthday, june 20. Oughta transfer to rock climbing well.

What do you mean you've done weighted chinups before but not pullups? And ya bein 6'4" definately doesn't help your climbin, but if you wanna do it, you'll just have to adjust. My thing is Wes, you wanna do too many things. You can't go and try to do so much at once, as you often do, as it impedes your progress in everything. I'm not speakin about anythin in general, just takin note of your goals and interests from various websites.

Over at your house I've done weighted chinups (palms facing me). I've never tried weighted pullups (palms away). Your right about me not makin up my mind, I do all kind of random crap, and no two workouts are the same. But I've kinda decided that right now I want to improve my climbing and wrestling, so I'm gonna do lots of one arm work, cardio, deadlifts, weighted chins, hand work and core. I've been neglecting my other aspects of grip, so I'm gonna try and improve them too.

Oh, I forgot you distinguish between pullups and chin-ups. I hated being restricted to one style, and personally, I've been doing all my chins with a neutral grip anyway via natural rotation ( like on rings), so I jut have gotten used to interchangeing the words.

Greasing the groove with pullups every day. I'll do 5 explosive pullups from the dead hang to the bar touching just above my sternum. Not gonna do any chinups anymore, because they really don'thave much of an application, other than getting strong biceps. On these I usually average 100-150, but sometimes I get to 200. Doing them explosively really has helped my strength. Did some one legged squats today, about 20 per leg. I spent some time thinking up some goals and here they are-

-one arm pullup by the start of the next school year

-pullup with 100 lbs of weight by my b-day, june 20th

-by the end of next year, do a pullup with bodyweight strapped to my back (probably 180-190lbs by then)

-one finger pullup (of each hand) with 30 lbs of weight

-rafter pullup

-standing long jump of 9 feet. I was reading about the russian spetsnaz record was 11.5 feet :blink Sickness

Anyway, may the games begin :mosher

Greasing the groove with pullups every day. I'll do 5 explosive pullups from the dead hang to the bar touching just above my sternum. Not gonna do any chinups anymore, because they really don'thave much of an application, other than getting strong biceps. On these I usually average 100-150, but sometimes I get to 200. Doing them explosively really has helped my strength. Did some one legged squats today, about 20 per leg. I spent some time thinking up some goals and here they are-

-one arm pullup by the start of the next school year

-pullup with 100 lbs of weight by my b-day, june 20th

-by the end of next year, do a pullup with bodyweight strapped to my back (probably 180-190lbs by then)

-one finger pullup (of each hand) with 30 lbs of weight

-rafter pullup

-standing long jump of 9 feet. I was reading about the russian spetsnaz record was 11.5 feet :blink Sickness

Anyway, may the games begin :mosher

Measured my standing broad jump, and hit an all time PR of 8 feet, 3 inches. 9 feet isn't far off!

Like I say, get stuck to doing pullups one way, and you're asking for muscular imbalance. I actually activate my lats better with a supinated grip. I think you can build up the strength to do stuff in any manner, as long as you learn how to apply that strength to your given goal.

Also, that one-arm pullup goal is pretty out of reach. I had a goal with a date similar to thta one, and I wasn't even that close when I reached it, I was pulling maybe 160% BW, and I started out with a little more pullup strength than you have. I'd set it to say, by the end of high school.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! Had a crapload of homework lately, and haven't been able to work out.

Pullups

BWx50 over the course of the day

BW+25x5

BW+35x2

BW+60x2

IM#2 x2 No set Warmup

IM#3 x5 singles paralell set

IM#4 attempts x3 getting it almost paralell now

Made a spotting system for the bottom position bench press (more like a floor press) out of cinder blocks and 2x4's. On these I use a bit narrower than shoulder grip. I've never trained bench presses, and this is mostly the result of pushups.

135x5

155x2

185x2

205x2 PB, 10 lbs over BW, but I did arch.

Just for the hell of it, I tried using a collar to collar grip, got 155.

One hand deadlifts with 2 inch revolving handle. Got 200 righty, didn't have time for left.

nice work with that #3 and #4 keep it up

Went to prom last night with trancaso and some other buddies.. It was a good night, even tho' my date wouldn't dance :ohmy

Funny story, yesterday I had 200 lbs on my chest high 2 in wrist roller and got it about 8 inches off the ground when WHAM!!! The 'biner I was using straightened out like it was coathanger wire and the 200 lbs of plates came crashing to the ground, narrowly missing my foot. That woulda really sucked if it didn't miss :D

Starting a pushup program to get to 100 pushups-

http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/Field/4992/100push.html

POSITION #1

Triangle push-ups (you should touch your thumbs to your xiphoid process

(lightly!) when trying to touch your chest to the ground)

5 partials

5 complete

7 partials

7 complete

rest 90 seconds

POSITION #2

Move hands to shoulder length apart (the tips of your fingers should be

aligned with the tops of your sholders)

5 partials

5 complete

7 partials

7 complete

rest 90 seconds

POSITION #3

Move your hands out until, during mid rep, your upper arms will be

perpendicular to your forearms. The hands should remain in the same

position relative to the shoulders (ie move them "out" in a straight

line)

5 partials

5 complete

7 partials

7 complete

This program takes a while and I will track my progress in this log.

Hope you stick with it.

But flabber^gasten^poopy that.

Edited by unseenbeat

Ran 4 miles

GtG with pullups, about 50 today

Burst my first can today, this is a pretty cool trick.

Oh yes, it is with great sadness I report to you that today I was bested in an arm-wrestling match by a fellow schoolmate. He is one of the football players and a good body-builder as well, not to mention benching 325 as a sophmore :blink at around 170 BW. However, I had arm-wrestled 3 or 4 strong people previously (including unseenbeat), and didn't have much rest. Apparently he has done competitive arm-wrestling in the past as well. Hah, I'm at least proud of the fact that I gave him a run for his money :D

Edited by Wes

Ya, Troy is TOO strong! And when I said competetive, he's just done a little bit in Panama City. Troy is just real dedicated to strength stuff, and he loves that kinda stuff. Have you ever givin him the #2, I remember you said he closed the #1 pretty easy.

Screwed around today, I'm probably gonna go rock climbing this weekend-

One hand deadlift (really a lockout, about the same ROM as a Rolling thunder) with a 2 inch revolving handle

90x2

135x2

180x2

205x2 PR

I decided what the hell and put on 10 more-

215x2 HUGE PR

I was actually using chalk on this, which helped a lot on that slippery PVC handle.

Jesus H. Christ I've gotten lazy! I tried some good old fashioned burpees today, and got like 20 before I was winded- I used to be able to do pyramids of 20 (20-rest-19-rest-etc..) I'll have to start working on conditioning more.

I'll probably do some gripper work later-

Range of motion as Rolling Thunder? They don't have a set ROM lol. What do you mean?

Range of motion as Rolling Thunder? They don't have a set ROM lol. What do you mean?

If you use an IM loading pin they do-

As many rounds in 20 mins of:

Pull-ups x 5,

Burpees x 15,

Jumping Jacks x 20

Don't know how many I got, but after halfway, I wasn't paying attention any more. I think I'm gonnna DIE!!

Edited by Wes

Got kinda bored sitting around so I went and set up some sawhorses for lockouts (about 3 in ROM)-

225x1

315x5

385x5

435x3

480x4

500 for 10 singles

These were all double overhand on an oly bar. Even with jeans on, my thighs are pretty sore from getting scraped on the way up.

If you had armwrestled 3 or 4 people & felt decently fatigued I encourage you to ask that guy for a rematch. I have had this embarassment happen to me only to find out that a couple days later when I was fresh it was no contest. If he still wins at least you have a new goal. :tongue

Keep us posted!

nice work on them rack pulls

If you had armwrestled 3 or 4 people & felt decently fatigued I encourage you to ask that guy for a rematch. I have had this embarassment happen to me only to find out that a couple days later when I was fresh it was no contest. If he still wins at least you have a new goal. :tongue

Keep us posted!

Well... Wes' hadn't struggled with any of the ppl he armwrestled. He armwrestled three ppl with his right and wasn't tired, and got to rest for awhile anyway. Troy is brutally strong, so I think Troy just got the upper hand and won. And I think beating Troy before he graduates is a goal of his anyway, and a good one at that. :laugh

it's kinda funny how it goes, you've beat me before and curtis has beat me before, and that thomas kid was fairly strong too- I just think my technique has gotten much better

Edited by Wes

Devane is a weak bitch, I just thought you always said he had good technique.