Wes's Training Log

Wes

Tried to film a CCS today, but the first attempt was about a paper width from closed and you couldn't see the number on the film, so it got deleted. Unfortunately the later attempts were close but no cigar. I was screwing around with a #4 the day before, so that messed me up.

Barbell Curls (strict)

95x2

110x2

115x2

120x1

Reverse Barbell Curl, oddly enough I do much better on these with a EZ curl bar(+20lbs)

95x1 (max)

Military press

95x10

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wes

• unseenbeat

• Alawadhi

• don chi

4-9-06

Starting a 20 rep squat routine

135x20 just to get the feel of things

Some singles with my 2.4

4-10-06

Little bit of bending today, probably won't do any more for a while

3 - 6''x1/4'' CRS

5.5''x1/4'' CRS

5''x1/4'' CRS, this was really painfull using my wraps (a handkerchief) but a PR

wobbled a Gr5 6x1/4

Oh yeah, forgot to add, BW is 200 lbs starting the 20 reps squat program. Height is 6'5 so I am stretched pretty good. Next year I will have to wrestle heavyweight compared to 189

Edited by Wes

if you can CCS the #3 then go for the certification :rock ! you will be the youngest ever to certify under the new rules (i guess!!!? :erm )

Edited by Alawadhi

if you can CCS the #3 then go for the certification :rock ! you will be the youngest ever to certify under the new rules (i guess!!!? :erm )

I never thought about being the youngest, I guess I would be under the new rules. I still can't beat Mike Sanderson though, he was 14 :blink I'll give it a few weeks to get consistent though before I cert. B-day is in june, so I got a little while.

Good luck :D

one of these days, If I ever got a squat rack, I'd try the twenty-rep squat system/ You are doing the pullups and stuff afterwards right? I couldn't remember if you were doing the program or just the squats.

one of these days, If I ever got a squat rack, I'd try the twenty-rep squat system/ You are doing the pullups and stuff afterwards right? I couldn't remember if you were doing the program or just the squats.

Ha, you oughta make a ghetto rack out of 2x4's leaned on a fallen tree like mine :cool Right now it is just the squats and a bit of pressing. When I get some more weights, I'm going to work in 5x5 sets of bent over rows, deadlifts, overhead presses, straight bar curls and benches if I can get a hold of a bench. Not to mention the atlas stones if I ever get round to molding them. I'm also planning on making a yoke as well.

Actually, I meant pullovers, since those are kind of essential to the program.

Yeah I'm doing those too, but I'm doing the version where you grab something above your head instead of using weight.

Yeah I'm doing those too, but I'm doing the version where you grab something above your head instead of using weight.

Ya, using a 45 would probably cause your abs and stuff to contract, so that;s better.

Just some deadlifting today, didn't have time for anything else- No rest in between these, just the time it took to change plates. I figured out what was wrong with my technique, and am doing a bit better with these.

140x2

190x3

205x3

230x3

250x3

270x2

280x2

295x1 PR Not quite a max, just the first time I've tried higher weight. I seriously suck at these and being 6'5 with really long legs doesn't help any. Plus it started to rain like a mother.

Busted a blob about a 1/4'' off the ground. Leaving it ouside in the rain and letting it rust a bit helped a lot.

Yesterday I put 80 on a 2 inch wrist roller (my old olympic barbell about chest high)) and it came up easy. Put on 120 right after and it took a bit of effort, but not a max.

Arm wrestled some people at my high school today (There were about 6 people who actually are somewhat strong in my class), beat everyone but one huge kid who weighs about 280 at 5'9 and he only got me right handed. I even beat our school power clean record holder (340 at 190BW) right and left handed really easy. There was a guy that used to be able to beat me when I had sorry technique, But I can own him now in the toproll, which kinda gives you that fuzzy feeling inside :laugh All in all decent day except for this damn 90 degree weather and constant rain.

PS- I'm grounded and have to sneak on the computer, so I proabably won't be updating my log very much for the next week.

Edited by Wes

I can still beat you lefty! :tongue

Since Wes shouldn't be updating his log cuz he's grounded (tho obviously, he's been getting on) I'll add some armwrestling he did today.

He armwrestled me three times today. First was left, but he pulled my elbow up, so we quit and went to right. He got me off the start, and slowly pulled my arm down in a hook, but couldn't pin me. After about thirty seconds I quit. We went lefty again, and I almost got him off the start, but he managed to pull back over and win eventually. I was proud that even tho he won, It took him a long time to get aywhere. I'm one of the only ppl in my school who give him any problems armwrestling, and I'm almost 50 pounds lighter! :rock

But ya, he won. :blush

Since Wes shouldn't be updating his log cuz he's grounded (tho obviously, he's been getting on) I'll add some armwrestling he did today.

He armwrestled me three times today. First was left, but he pulled my elbow up, so we quit and went to right. He got me off the start, and slowly pulled my arm down in a hook, but couldn't pin me. After about thirty seconds I quit. We went lefty again, and I almost got him off the start, but he managed to pull back over and win eventually. I was proud that even tho he won, It took him a long time to get aywhere. I'm one of the only ppl in my school who give him any problems armwrestling, and I'm almost 50 pounds lighter! :rock

But ya, he won. :blush

Hah, my parents aren't home... Yeah you give me a lot of trouble on the bottom. We need to find some junior competitions and compete, you'd give some people a whuppin' in your class.

Well, I'm only gettin stronger biceps/lats wise, but I'm slackin off on my wrists and forearms. Need to do some bending this week, and start workin hammer curls in as well.

Well, I'm only gettin stronger biceps/lats wise, but I'm slackin off on my wrists and forearms. Need to do some bending this week, and start workin hammer curls in as well.

You might want to try reverse curls and wrist rolling

I've never liked wrist rolling, maybe in the future, it just is not a movement I'm interested in. And as you know, I don't have enough small plates to get a good workout in the revers curl, b/c I have nothing to bridge the gap inbetween 70 and 95 pounds. I'ma just stick with what I'm doing, pullup work, power cleans, dumbbell pressing, and bodyweight exercises, and throw in some thick handle hammer curls and wrist curls.

Edited by unseenbeat

I've never liked wrist rolling, maybe in the future, it just is not a movement I'm interested in. And as you know, I don't have enough small plates to get a good workout, b/c I have nothing to bridge the gap inbetween 70 and 95 pounds.

You might want to warm up with 70 and try for singles with 95. I remember you getting 95 without much difficulty. What would be better is we picked a couple of days a week to pull and work your workouts around them.

I've never liked wrist rolling, maybe in the future, it just is not a movement I'm interested in. And as you know, I don't have enough small plates to get a good workout in the reverse curl, b/c I have nothing to bridge the gap inbetween 70 and 95 pounds.

You might want to warm up with 70 and try for singles with 95. I remember you getting 95 without much difficulty. What would be better is we picked a couple of days a week to pull and work your workouts around them.

I never got 95 in the reverse curl. I'm not even that close. And well man, pulling against a guy stronger than you is all fine and dandy, but I'd be going to failure multiple times, not something I'd want to be doing more thna once a week.

I "missed" the bus this morning, so I spent the day by myself pondering life and lifting weights.

Huge step in pinch-

I lifted the blob50 with athletic tape on it to a full deadlift with no chalk. I am nearing my goal of lifting the blob and it is a great feeling.

Did 1 hand deadlifts

-Got 250 using 1 inch pipe for a handle, no hook

-Got 200 using a revolving 2 inch pvc handle

Greased the groove with pullups, did mabye 200 throughout the day.

Did many of them on 1 or 2 fingers using straps

Did a lot of uneven grip pullups with 1 finger on the strap

Made a rock climbing hangboard out a a 2x6 with 1, 2, 3 and 4 finger pockets. I plan to add some store bought holds to this and really work on my climbing skills, front levers and one armed pullups.

Bodyweight- 200

Okay, screw the 20 rep squats, If I want to get better a rock climbing, I'll have to drop weight.

Biked 8 miles. Suprisingly, this was real easy, considering I haven't biked for a LONG time. I used to do 20 miles a day.

2 inch wrist roller chest high

Warmup -Wrist rolled 70x2

max attempt, 150. Got it all the way to the top and about halfway to the bottom when it slipped and tore off a penny sized chunk of skin on my left hand near my thumb. Well, there goes any thumb exercise for the next few weeks. Like a dumbass, I made this my first exercise so I can't really do anything now with my left hand for a few weeks unless I tape it. Oh well, it happens.

One arm pullup holds, it never made any sense to me why you would want to do one arm chinups with your hand facing you. When are you going to need to pull yourself up with one arm with your palm facing towards you? I'm really developing this skill for rock climbing, so training it with a palms away grip is much more practical, albeit harder. The way I do these is I grab the pullup bar with one arm, palm facing away and let the side of my body touch the doorway. The contact between my pants and the side of the doorway gives just enough friction for me to hold a half way one arm pullup. I do a hold for about 3-4 seconds and rest a bit and then I do a couple more sets. Only did these righty.

Checked my height, it is 6'4 without shoes.

In light of the recent inspiring lifting vid on the GR forum, I was inspired to compare my weighted pullups with the weightlifting master only known as "Joey" :D

BWx5 (total of 200 lbs)

BW+35x3 (total of 235)

BW+60x1 (total of 260)

BW+70x1 (total of 270)

BWx5

Had to stop, my hand was killin' me!

First time doing weighted pullups. I've done weighted chinups before, but never got around to doing pullups. I'm setting a goal to do a pullup with 100 lbs of extra weight. Seems achieveable, I'll try and do it by my birthday, june 20. Oughta transfer to rock climbing well.

Edited by Wes