Wes's Training Log

Wes

Alawadhi, a CCS is easier, but it just feels awkward. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks Ben :mosher:

Don, If it's convienent for Tommy, I will try the inch when I'm up in Virginia. Kinda doubt I'd lift it, but it never hurts to try :D

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wes

• unseenbeat

• Alawadhi

• don chi

Right now it's just negatives and singles with grippers that are near max combined with plenty of rest in between workouts. Something I found that really helps a lot if you have the time is to space out the different exercises in your workout. So I would do grippers, wait a couple hours and do my wrist rolling and then do my dynamic pinch on the TTK before I go to bed. This allows you to give your best efforts on the different exercises, instead of not being able to give 100% because you are tired from something else.

Wes, When and where are you gonna be in Virginia?

I'm going on vacation with my mom July 31st- August 5th and we're driving up to Virginia and we'll probably camp out most of the way. If it's good with Tommy, we'll make it up to Front Royal and shoot the breeze with him. Hopefully, I'll be bringing one of my friends with me as well.

Edited by Wes

I'm at my grandads house for the week, and I brought my grippers with me Turns out, my grandad has a webcam, so I'll be able to do a vid. If my hands are feeling better by monday, I'll try and start with that freakish elite, and then I'll try a TNS of the 3. Oughta make for a good vid. :rock

Don't know how I missed this?? Nice job with that Elite Wes! Looking forward to the video !!

I'm at my grandads house for the week, and I brought my grippers with me Turns out, my grandad has a webcam, so I'll be able to do a vid. If my hands are feeling better by monday, I'll try and start with that freakish elite, and then I'll try a TNS of the 3. Oughta make for a good vid. :rock

Wes had probably been messin with stuff when we came by yesterday, and he was very close on a TNS of his #3 and to closing that elite. I'm sure he will be able to close them Monday, and vid them.

Oh yea, Wes, Blane closed that "2.4-5" TNS for three easy, loud clicks. When I get a #3, I'm going to take it to him. He acted like it was nothing, but it makes him feel good to know that he's strong, that he's still young enough to roll with the boys.

That dude is a FREAK! Didn't he used to lift a lot of weights, or did he do a lot of manual labor? That 2 is awkward as hell since I sanded off the knurling, and shortened it.

Edited by Wes

That dude is a FREAK! Didn't he used to lift a lot of weights, or did he do a lot of manual labor?

Neither, he's just always been big and strong. He has been a mechanic for most of his life, but he doesn't actually do the grunt work anymore, he just manages and oversees the work mostly, and handles electronic stuff, and detail.

Edit: It's not that the #2 is really that much harder, if you set it. I can't close it no-set, it's a lot harder to no set, even though it's easier to position in your hands.

Edited by unseenbeat

Who knows, mabye he'll be the next tracy craven.

? What do you mean?

Tracy Craven was a firefighter who had never trained grip and closed a #3 on his first try. He had the thickest hand and wrists of anyone I've ever seen. I think he basically did a lot of manual labor, and that was what made him so strong.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album149

Edited by Wes

That dude is a FREAK! Didn't he used to lift a lot of weights, or did he do a lot of manual labor?

Neither, he's just always been big and strong. He has been a mechanic for most of his life, but he doesn't actually do the grunt work anymore, he just manages and oversees the work mostly, and handles electronic stuff, and detail.

Edit: It's not that the #2 is really that much harder, if you set it. I can't close it no-set, it's a lot harder to no set, even though it's easier to position in your hands.

That was the point. (to make it harder to no set)

Tracy Craven was a firefighter who had never trained grip and closed a #3 on his first try. He had the thickest hand and wrists of anyone I've ever seen. I think he basically did a lot of manual labor, and that was what made him so strong.

I think a lot of big strong people could close a #3. But, people like Blane think it's kind of wierd, that is training your grip. To them, lifting big things should give you a strong grip, so why specifically train it? Still, he'll mess with the grippers cuz with him, it's kind of a test.

I think a lot of big strong people could close a #3. But, people like Blane think it's kind of wierd, that is training your grip. To them, lifting big things should give you a strong grip, so why specifically train it? Still, he'll mess with the grippers cuz with him, it's kind of a test.

I don't know about "a lot" considering that I can only think of like 5 off the top of my head. Josh, Magnus, Brian, Tracy and Ken. And probably Ronnie Coleman, so thats 6. I'm sure there are more, but there definitely not "a lot". I imagine there are many who could, with less than 6 months of training, but grippers work your hand in a way that not much else does, so not many have enough carry over from something else.

Edited by Wes

I don't know about "a lot" considering that I can only think of like 5 off the top of my head. Josh, Magnus, Brian, Tracy and Ken. And probably Ronnie Coleman, so thats 6. I'm sure there are more, but there definitely not "a lot". I imagine there are many who could, with less than 6 months of training, but grippers work your hand in a way that not much else does, so not many have enough carry over from something else.

I said could, not have. You look at that list of #3 crushers, I wonder how many only took a couple weeks to get it closed, at least in the earlier years. I read about Tracy, he didn't close a #3 first time he tried. Came close, but did not close it. I don't recognize all of those names you listed, maybe b/c you listed only first names, and mostly common ones, but I believe that many men, say north of 250 lbs. who handle heavy weights on a regular basis, or work construction, or etc could close a #3 with a couple weeks of specialization. That simple.

I said could, not have. You look at that list of #3 crushers, I wonder how many only took a couple weeks to get it closed, at least in the earlier years. I read about Tracy, he didn't close a #3 first time he tried. Came close, but did not close it. I don't recognize all of those names you listed, maybe b/c you listed only first names, and mostly common ones, but I believe that many men, say north of 250 lbs. who handle heavy weights on a regular basis, or work construction, or etc could close a #3 with a couple weeks of specialization. That simple.

I got my #3 down to 1/2" on the first day I bought them, and closed it for the first time 12 days latter. :D

I guess that is what happens when you've been splitting firewood since you were 7, every winter.

Edited by Timmy

I got my #3 down to 1/2" on the first day I bought them, and closed it for the first time 12 days latter. :D

I guess that is what happens when you've been splitting firewood since you were 7, every winter.

Timmy, isn't this a case of just getting used to how the gripper feels? You probably had the strength to close it when you picked it up. You couldn't possibly have gained much strength within 12 days aside from the benefits of resting.

I agree with Wes that there are not many people who have never worked with grippers who could pick up a #3 and mash it shut. At best, they'll be like you, Timmy, and need a couple of weeks to figure out the mechanics. They would have had the strength all along.

At best, they'll be like you, Timmy, and need a couple of weeks to figure out the mechanics. They would have had the strength all along.

Interesting enough, this is exactly my point. Many men are strong enough to close one, I believe, they would just need a little time to allow their hands to get used to closing them.

...but I believe that many men, say north of 250 lbs. who handle heavy weights on a regular basis, or work construction, or etc could close a #3 with a couple weeks of specialization.

I'm tryin' to bring my left hand up to speed, on a good day, I can hold a 3 shut lefty, but closing it's a different story. After watching Kinney's vid, I decided to go with his advice and do a crapload of negatives. I taped the finger side handle of my #3 with electrical tape, which makes it a so the knurling won't chew the skin off your hand.

#3 Negatives Lefty x36. I'm shooting for 60, which is the least amount Joe did in a workout. He said he often did 100-110. Wow.

I've always had good results with negatives, any kind of isometric work really gets you where you're going safer and faster than you would normally.

Seems like kinneys video is amazing! I ordered one not long time ago and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I've been doing the grippers for only a couple of weeks.. my little finger is the only one hetting hurt. Is it a good idea to use electric tape on one side of the handle? (the one in the fingers?), or does it make it more slippery?