Georges Training Log

Geo

Been sick this week. Started to feel better today. I did train grippers last Saturday but not much as I was coming down with the sickness.

#3 CCS

6 attempts

Went from about 8mm to 3mm however the best attempt was so close I couldnt see if it was closed or not. Think it was a mm out.

Using the bigger grippers and the strap holds seem to be essential for the CCS for me. There is a little movement with my wrist I have found to do half way through the close that REALLY helps the leverage on the close. Heath sexton referred to this "cocking" of the wrist, however this was said in reference to before the gripper is squeezed and not half way through.

Did 3 negatives with the Elite held it closed on the first one

1 neg with RB300

Edited by Geo

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geo

• BigT

• pdoire

• DuTCH

Top Posters In This Topic

Must of done something to my knee cos it hurts. Couldnt squat today, so took my grippers to the gym and did a workout there. PR's

Strap hold #3 -lifting strap

5kg broke it off the bench held for a second or two then dropped. PR

5 kg miss

3.75kg - 10 seconds PR!

Elite attempts - x4

RB300 negs x2

Didn't look here for a while, but very nice on the strapholds man!!

Maybe back it off indeed with the weight. At this comp last year, i had #3 with 2,5 kg for 15 seconds i think.. So you pretty much beat me there! :rock

Didn't look here for a while, but very nice on the strapholds man!!

Maybe back it off indeed with the weight. At this comp last year, i had #3 with 2,5 kg for 15 seconds i think.. So you pretty much beat me there! :rock

Nice of you to say so Dutch! :D But I think you definately can do more than me. As yet I am still to close my Elite in a choker. Hey!, howabout you see what you can do now (straphold) and report back :) ?!

I use a steel rule on some occasions and on others I use a lifting strap. They both have their pros and cons. I find with the rule you can accidentally cheat yourself by tilting the gripper so that the angle the rule is inserted into the gripper handles is what is keeping it there. The lifting strap is good because you cant do this, however its easier to accidentally get the strap caught under the thumb pad or something daft like that!

Cant wait for tomorrow. Get my new grip toy!

I'll see what i can do! Nice to do them for a change!

Trained with Mobster at his strongman gym. It was very good. Mobster had some good grip tips to pass on and trying my hand at the different events was fun.

two hand pinch

went up to 82.5kg for singles. - This lift proved to be my best today (out of the other events I tried. Not bad seeing as I only trained pinch for about 6 weeks about a year and half ago.

Rolling thunder

This was tricky. Did about 5 sets of this cant remember the weight. Nothing special thoough.

Grippers

Oh dear, by this point my hands felt quite knackered and my crush just wasnt there today.

Mobsters #3 is a complete monster! Its like my Elite!!! Its a early 90's version I think and its very stiff. Didnt actually manage to close it. Did about 5 sets or so of grippers. Bah, its annoying when your crush deserts you! However on the positive side Mobster did give me some good tips on the grippers.

Thick handled dumbell

tried fourty kg to get the hang of it. Like the RT this lift feels tricky. Then went up to eighty. With training I should be able to get this. I felt the DB just move a tiny bit off the floor and then I lost it.

All in all a great workout.

Edited by Geo

It was nice to share the tips and considering Geo doesn't train his pinch I'm just glad mine was at it's best in a long time otherwise I'd have been well embaressed.

:tongue:D

Bah you absoloutely smoked me on everything else so I think Ive still got a little more catching up to do to get anywhere near your level :D !

Nice that you got a chance to workout with Steve..must have been a blast for you!

Paul - Yeah it was great. Seeing a super Elite mashed like steve did is a sight to behold!

Sprained litttle finger on right hand last week. Did some training on Friday but very brief.

5 attempts on my choked Elite.

2 were very very close. 1mm from closed! I had to turn the gripper in my hand to see if it was closed or not and it was a paper thinness away from touching. On the right track.

Watsons have said my replacement grip machine will be with me on Thursday or Friday. So at last I will be able to take it for a spin.

5 attempts on my choked Elite

All of them were very very close.from 1mm to 2mm away.

On the last one I forced it closed and held it there for 10 seconds.

Been looking at houses as we want to move very soon. Just viewed one with a fantastic grip training area -Garage. :D

ELITE CLOSED! - in a choker at 34mm (just over 1 1/4 ")

5 elite attempts

First one closed! WOO HOO!

Second attempt was a paper thinness away

Sunday

Tried my new grip machine for the first time. :blink:blink:blink

Im not exactly sure how to train with this thing yet, I need to do some digging using the search function on the GB. IE :Palms down to grip it or palm up like Joe Kinney is doing in the Photo in the COC book? Also full range reps, Negatives, holds etc. I need to work out something that will suit me.

Everything was performed palms facing down.

I opted for a couple of full range singles, and was amazed at how brutal it was! I loaded the machine to 40kg and did two singles. Yowza !

OK from here I went up for some Negs. I loaded the machine to 80kg and with the other hand squeezed/pulled the handle up so that it was touching and then let go so one hand was holding the bars together. Good grief!!! this was starting to feel like a proper workout! I did 2 sets of these.

Loaded the machine to 100kg and half deadlifted/half squeezed with both hands the handles together and let go with 1 hand holding on. Yikes! what a BRUTAL piece of kit!!! I did 7 sets at this weight before I called it a night.

I will use the machine once a week and see how it goes.

Hands a little tired from Sundays session with the machine. :flame

Elite attempt

x3

CC set #3

This came very easily! However I thought it was closed and I turned my hand to see if it was and there was that accursed paper thinness of light showing through the gripper handles! Easier and easier though.

RB300 attempt

This is coming along nicely.Gotta love those RB's! :)

Deadlifting today. Not sure its a good idea to wait until sunday to do my weekend grip training. Deadlifting knackers me out! Anyway so a small workout again.

Elite with choker removed

6 attempts very close on the first 3. Got to within 3mm with a MM set

Putting my super elite in a choker this afternoon. :flame

ARGGGG!!! Grip machines are EVIL! - and they must be punished with heavy negs! :devil

Put my Super Elite in a choker on Sunday. Ive only got standard hose clips and they fail when the poundage increases on them beyond a certain point. Ive got the SE set at 33mm which is a good working distance in my opinion for training the close.

Choked Super Elite

5sets - force close and a neg

Grip machine

40kg 1 rep

80 kg 1 hold

100kg - 8 negatives with a 3 second hold at the top

2 hands - reps - Not sure if these are productive or not but thought I would experiment

80kg

3 reps

4 reps

6 reps

Not sure about these as it seems very easy to cheat these somehow.

120kg negative attempt - Get out of here! The apparatus crashed back down as soon as I had the thing hoisted up!

Nice PR George!!

Elite attempts MM set

1 with a forced close and hold. Held for 5 seconds

RB300 attempts

RB260 close - quite pleased that I could still do this after all the other attempts

Super Elite Negs

3 sets - did these ala paul doire's method where the gripper is forced shut then when the it starts to open again force it shut again and repeat.

#4 negs

2 sets

Kin ell its hot :whacked Supposed to hit 99 degrees here tomorrow.

Grip Machine

The more I use this machine the more I get used to it. I have been experimenting with the different ways of using it. Tonight I found a really good way to get to use more weight for negatives. I found this out after doing a two hand attempt at a negative and I was struggling with the concentric movement and I put my knee and leg under the handles and assisted with my leg. This was very successful and I found that the working hand wasnt knackered when it got to the working part of the movement.

warmed up

1 hand negs

40kg

80kg

100kg x 10 sets

120kg 2 sets

2 hand negatives

120kg

140kg

not sure if these are beneficial or not just thought I would give em a whirl.

Did two hand squeeze to the top with 100kg then finished off with 5 reps each hand with just 40kg on.