Ironmind bending certs

John McCarter

9 minutes ago, slazbob said:

We don’t know. But on the other hand, Randall looks worse having someone who berated him and his company, now the face of his bending certification. Even though this is speculative.

Randall should have the right to do what he’s doing. Just like Derek has the right to voice his opinion on the company. 
what would Bill do in the instance of someone bashing him and the board but signs up for the MM cert? Would they still let them? He should have the right to reject them without judgment.
again, just speculation. But if you feel that happened to you, because of hard feelings, in the back of your mind, you knew this day would come…or it would have never crossed your mind it was intentional.

We don't have to speculate on what could/may happen with Bill, the MM certs, and someone running their mouth. Bill's on the board and can answer directly what he will do in that situation. Remember the name Silverback Grip? Man bad mouthed the board, wasn't in good standing and flat out was told he couldn't do the MM certs. Over time, that changed, there was talk about letting Silverback attempt the certs, but the gripper could not be sent to him and another member of the board, who be sent the gripper and must send it back, would be a witness. 

If I was the head of a company, knew a person wanted to attempt what we offer, because of the said history, I deny them flat outright. I be clear on my stance and state my reasons to them on the why and how, afterwards I move on. 

1 minute ago, slazbob said:

Did he actually get the nail sent and certified, but they failed it? Is there a video?

Derek is going onto the podcast "Beyond the Bend" to discus the topic. He can clear the air on the subject.

I send IronMind an e-mail on one thing they can do with their certifications and world record attempts. Have videos covering all the rules in a visual format. At that point there be no confusion on what they are looking for on these attempts. 

9 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

We don't have to speculate on what could/may happen with Bill, the MM certs, and someone running their mouth. Bill's on the board and can answer directly what he will do in that situation. Remember the name Silverback Grip? Man bad mouthed the board, wasn't in good standing and flat out was told he couldn't do the MM certs. Over time, that changed, there was talk about letting Silverback attempt the certs, but the gripper could not be sent to him and another member of the board, who be sent the gripper and must send it back, would be a witness. 

If I was the head of a company, knew a person wanted to attempt what we offer, because of the said history, I deny them flat outright. I be clear on my stance and state my reasons to them on the why and how, afterwards I move on. 

Derek is going onto the podcast "Beyond the Bend" to discus the topic. He can clear the air on the subject.

I send IronMind an e-mail on one thing they can do with their certifications and world record attempts. Have videos covering all the rules in a visual format. At that point there be no confusion on what they are looking for on these attempts. 

Very good. At the end of the day, it comes down to respect. Just because you own a company, and have certifications, doesn’t make you a pin cushion to anyone. 

I have been vilified a ton over the years which is what happens when you are in a position of leadership. It comes with the territory.  There is always another side of the story or often people will "complete the story" in their heads and let me tell you it is never positive.  I have been bashed too many times to remember in the last twenty years. :) 

In addition, what you will often see is the whiners and complainers being the most vocal or having the most objections in public.  People can seem entitled to be on what is in reality a private medium.  I am not saying this is the case here, but I am just telling you my experience of running this forum for 2 decades.  

Often times in sport there are what I would call "triggers" or "events" that cause a rule change. Or, we just learn something needs to be improved.  It's as simple as that. I guess that's too boring.  It has to be some personal vendetta or conflict, etc.

As far as triggers, does anyone remember the new swimsuits in swimming where all the records all of a sudden were being literally obliterated?  What happened there?  Well, they then had to backtrack ban them.  There are plenty of other examples of rule changes in other sports that happened due to these triggers or events.     

• Like 4

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

Not sure, but that was a year ago.

I think Derek certified on the Red. Then Randall found out he was 16 or 17 years old and took him off the list because " No kid could bend that bar". At least that's what I heard. We'll probably get a better explanation if he goes on beyond the bend podcast this week. 

Again, that's just what I heard so take it with a grain of salt. 

37 minutes ago, stranger said:

I think Derek certified on the Red. Then Randall found out he was 16 or 17 years old and took him off the list because " No kid could bend that bar". At least that's what I heard. We'll probably get a better explanation if he goes on beyond the bend podcast this week. 

Again, that's just what I heard so take it with a grain of salt. 

It’s all new to me this area of bending and what’s what. The guy obviously works hard at his craft…hate to see it. But maybe a little bit of emotion got to him or is holding a grudge. Or maybe Randall had it coming…who knows. 
you can’t possibly think that you could post a video like above…ending with a “F U Randall!” And the guy not wanting you on his company list. If, in fact, that’s what really is going on here. We could be way off.

14 hours ago, slazbob said:

It’s definitely bad ass to do it that way. Has anyone?

How? By bending the red lower on the chest? Lower on the chest would be easy. It’s just a sub-optimized form of DO. It’s really not going to be the challenge you think it is.

The hand and wrist position would be the same. Yes, your chest, lat and shoulder engagement would be a few percent less. But that doesn’t mean that your wrist and forearms will have to compensate. It’s still a DO bend so the mechanics will be the same. If anything it’ll require less strength from your hands, wrists and forearms since your upper body will produce less force that your wrist have to control and transfer into the steel.

You seem to think this would be a major change in what you could bend but it’s not gonna be a big difference. Maybe more for some than others for the first few weeks due to the awkward factor. But after a few sessions it should be no problem. If you can bend a 6.5” red at chin height, you might have to drop down to a 7” red nail doing it lower on your chest. It’ll be like having to drop from 315 in bench down to 295. It’s a difference yes, but it’s still in the same ballpark. I would not recommend bending lower on your chest though. The few guy’s I’ve seen tear their pecs from bending steel did it by bending lower on their chest. But that could just have been due to mobility issues which didn’t allow them to get higher. And the mobility issues could have been the major part of why they got injured.

Now, Brookfield was allegedly bending with a different style than he was in the video you referred to. When Brookfield sent photos to Ironmind showing how he bent he would grip the bar lower at his waist. He’d keep the elbows closer to his body and bend with supination. This was actually dubbed “Brookfield style”. Bending in this way would be INCREDIBLY difficult and very few would be able to bend a red this way. I’m not 100% sure Brookfield himself could bend a red in that fashion. This is NOT what he is doing in Blueprint for grip strength. He’s doing a regular DO with a little sub-optimized form. From peoples reports after seeing Brookfield bend in person they’ve said that Brookfield did not bend as in the photos he sent to Ironmind. But those observations was many years after so who knows what Brookfield did or didn’t do when he bent the red back in the 90’s.

• Like 6

Imagine if Ironmind changes the rules to where you just have to bend a little lower on your chest. And then Derek certs the gold anyway like the next week in accordance to their new rules 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/22/2022 at 4:54 PM, Cannon said:

Who is derrick?

Graybill? I'm questioning it because IM did not capitalize the name and Graybill's name is D-e-r-e-k as far as I know. 

Very late to this, but a derrick is a piece of construction equipment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick

Wouldn't put it past Strossen to be making what he imagines to be a clever pun.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, David_wigren said:

How? By bending the red lower on the chest? Lower on the chest would be easy. It’s just a sub-optimized form of DO. It’s really not going to be the challenge you think it is.

The hand and wrist position would be the same. Yes, your chest, lat and shoulder engagement would be a few percent less. But that doesn’t mean that your wrist and forearms will have to compensate. It’s still a DO bend so the mechanics will be the same. If anything it’ll require less strength from your hands, wrists and forearms since your upper body will produce less force that your wrist have to control and transfer into the steel.

You seem to think this would be a major change in what you could bend but it’s not gonna be a big difference. Maybe more for some than others for the first few weeks due to the awkward factor. But after a few sessions it should be no problem. If you can bend a 6.5” red at chin height, you might have to drop down to a 7” red nail doing it lower on your chest. It’ll be like having to drop from 315 in bench down to 295. It’s a difference yes, but it’s still in the same ballpark. I would not recommend bending lower on your chest though. The few guy’s I’ve seen tear their pecs from bending steel did it by bending lower on their chest. But that could just have been due to mobility issues which didn’t allow them to get higher. And the mobility issues could have been the major part of why they got injured.

Now, Brookfield was allegedly bending with a different style than he was in the video you referred to. When Brookfield sent photos to Ironmind showing how he bent he would grip the bar lower at his waist. He’d keep the elbows closer to his body and bend with supination. This was actually dubbed “Brookfield style”. Bending in this way would be INCREDIBLY difficult and very few would be able to bend a red this way. I’m not 100% sure Brookfield himself could bend a red in that fashion. This is NOT what he is doing in Blueprint for grip strength. He’s doing a regular DO with a little sub-optimized form. From peoples reports after seeing Brookfield bend in person they’ve said that Brookfield did not bend as in the photos he sent to Ironmind. But those observations was many years after so who knows what Brookfield did or didn’t do when he bent the red back in the 90’s.

So, I was correct all along…it’s harder.

31 minutes ago, slazbob said:

We never said it wasn't harder. You claimed it was harder on your wrists, which its not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

In other news, water is wet.

And like Bruce1337 said, we never claimed it wasn’t harder. I don’t think you are getting what we are trying to say.

• Haha 2

I don't know if this is off topic, but I put together a little horseshoe tutorial tonight.

asf11151.jpg

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

I don't know if this is off topic, but I put together a little horseshoe tutorial tonight.

asf11151.jpg

This is funny on so many levels!

”Courtesy of Anton Sidén” 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slippery Pete said:

asf11151.jpg

Amazing technique. Must be super hard on your wrists. I wonder if you take the horseshoe under your chin will allow for more arms and chest to help bend bigger shoes?

• Haha 3

You guys are too funny… under the chin is easier, like I’ve been saying. You claimed I didn’t know what I was talking about, and now you agree with me…and you guys are laughing at me? 

13 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Amazing technique. Must be super hard on your wrists. I wonder if you take the horseshoe under your chin will allow for more arms and chest to help bend bigger shoes?

Yes. It's hard. I like to pass on the original spirit of horseshoe bending.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

Yes. It's hard. I like to pass on the original spirit of horseshoe bending.

If you can bend a paperclip like that...

2 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

asf11151.jpg

Heres your sign.

also your wraps are clearly tempered… and adding leverage

Edited by BottledCitrus
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, slazbob said:

You guys are too funny… under the chin is easier, like I’ve been saying. You claimed I didn’t know what I was talking about, and now you agree with me…and you guys are laughing at me? 

Wasn’t your point that you wanted the red nail cert to be more dependent on wrist strength? Now it seems that you want just a slightly less efficient double overhand. Either you are absolutely clueless or I am, because I don’t understand your reasoning. To me it seems like you have now suddenly switched to not caring about wrist strength when it previously was the main motivation of your argument.

• Like 1

Why even have bending to measure who has the strongest wrists? 

Why not have a sledge levering cert. Way more wrist strength there than bending.