Ironmind bending certs

John McCarter

The rules and referee form still has the old rules. Quick! Everyone go and cert before they change it!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

The rules and referee form still has the old rules. Quick! Everyone go and cert before they change it!

I put in for it two days ago. Now I know why they didn't answer. 

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

Is this what red nail bending would look like now? This cert is truly horrifying. This is an 8mmx178mm "ARF SILVER" bar from Armlifting Russia.

Josh goldthorp says it is slightly harder than Red nail here:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CapP90PFx1O/?utm_medium=copy_link

Nope, it's harder than that. Your pads wasn't new, you were over the time limit and you braced your hands/bar against your body on several occasions.

Great bend by the way. But not good enough for IM cert.

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

Nope, it's harder than that. Your pads wasn't new, you were over the time limit and you braced your hands/bar against your body on several occasions.

Great bend by the way. But not good enough for IM cert.

Man this is awful lmfao 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

Is this what red nail bending would look like now? This cert is truly horrifying. This is an 8mmx178mm "ARF SILVER" bar from Armlifting Russia.

Josh goldthorp says it is slightly harder than Red nail here:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CapP90PFx1O/?utm_medium=copy_link

Strong stuff! But I was under the impression that arf silver is HRS?

Edited by bruce1337

Just now, bruce1337 said:

Strong stuff! But I as under the impression that arf silver is HRS?

AddText_03-08-05.45.25.jpg

To be quite honest, I am unsure. I just used Josh goldthorp as a reference, just going off what he said

5 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

To be quite honest, I am unsure. I just used Josh goldthorp as a reference, just going off what he said

If its truly harder than a red nail then you could absolutely cert it with some tweaking to your technique. Have you tried any red nail yet?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

Man this is awful lmfao 

Yes. Just as awful as the stupid CCS rule is. Actually maybe even more awful.

Only positive I can find is that it's still at least hand size neutral.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

If its truly harder than a red nail then you could absolutely cert it with some tweaking to your technique. Have you tried any red nail yet?

I have not unfortunately. I have videos of me bending equivalents and some slightly harder stuff in IMP's with rubber bands. I was going to bend a red in old cert conditions at Don Cumming's place next weekend, but idk if there's any point to bending it like that now...

3 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

I have not unfortunately. I have videos of me bending equivalents and some slightly harder stuff in IMP's with rubber bands. I was going to bend a red in old cert conditions at Don Cumming's place next weekend, but idk if there's any point to bending it like that now...

You can do it for style points and bragging rights 

12 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

I think with these rules changes, they should have someone to demonstrate how to legitimately bend the red nail under cert conditions. 

Like this

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Like this

This is the way. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 5:14 PM, Allen Heineck said:

I'm quite sure David Horne is younger than that.

Who with 30 seconds experience has bent the red?

👋🏼 

Okay I made it to page 6.

skipping the rest and just gonna get to the meat and taters.

don’t like the new rules. They were just fine the way they were.

but this is not the first time it’s happened. Eric Milfeld was actually the 1st real red nail cert under the rules as we knew them. He submitted a cert bend in a beach towel, was added to the list, then some cry babies had his name pulled over alleged extra leverage from the beach towel. They then implemented the imp rule and invented imps. Eric then answered back with the very first red nail bend in imps.

that said, in honor of my homie Eric, I intend to do the same.

im down to pursue the red cert and recertify under the new rules. Let’s talk about the best way to do that.

im thinking 1 pad, reverse, and low sternum?

it can be done.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And it makes perfect sense to me to throw my hat in the ring. Not only is Eric a homie, but he’s a Texas guy. Through and through. That said, I sort of feel like this one belongs in Texas.

stand tf by. I’m comin in hot.

• Like 3

To reverse the red to 60ish degrees will be the easy part. The tricky part will be to go from 60 degrees and down to where you can interlock your fingers and crush with your extensors. I recon at about 4” you can interlock your fingers somewhat and then finish it. But from 60ish degrees and down to 4” will be a bit of a balancing act. Perhaps if your arms are strong enough you can “push” and “pull” the ends together all the way down to the crush down. Sort of reverse bending the bar all the way down to 4ish”. 

Haha, just thinking about it makes you realize what an absolute circus Ironmind has turned their cert into. They really have no clue of what they’ve done. However, I think the realistic outcome is that their cert will now be judged very inconsistently where some will accidentally touch their torso and fail where others might even actively brace against their belly and then pass.

One thing’s for sure and that if they intend to actually enforce the rules as they are stated, then the judging will be even harder than the cert itself.

• Like 2

I might try it for shits and giggles. But if I’m successful I’m not going to justify their change by submitting a cert. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

To reverse the red to 60ish degrees will be the easy part. The tricky part will be to go from 60 degrees and down to where you can interlock your fingers and crush with your extensors. I recon at about 4” you can interlock your fingers somewhat and then finish it. But from 60ish degrees and down to 4” will be a bit of a balancing act. Perhaps if your arms are strong enough you can “push” and “pull” the ends together all the way down to the crush down. Sort of reverse bending the bar all the way down to 4ish”. 

Haha, just thinking about it makes you realize what an absolute circus Ironmind has turned their cert into. They really have no clue of what they’ve done. However, I think the realistic outcome is that their cert will now be judged very inconsistently where some will accidentally touch their torso and fail where others might even actively brace against their belly and then pass.

One thing’s for sure and that if they intend to actually enforce the rules as they are stated, then the judging will be even harder than the cert itself.

Yes, that part is insanely hard. Tried with some 7 mm nails now and holy crap. Trying to bend like that, so low and with absolutely no contact with the body is crazy hard. Maybe if you can strictly lever a 20 lbs sledge you can bend a red like that?

55 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I might try it for shits and giggles. But if I’m successful I’m not going to justify their change by submitting a cert. 

The big question as I see it, are they going to make a new list? If I'd accomplish to bend a red like this I would never want to be on the same list as previous certificates. This is so much harder, it's like comparing a #3 cert to a #3.5 cert IMO.

18 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

Thats like batman using superman as a gauge to determine whats easy. Erm…something like that lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

Thats like batman using superman as a gauge to determine whats easy. Erm…something like that lol

I trust his judgement regarding how tough the piece is, just his words that it's red level

On 2/22/2022 at 5:17 PM, Fist of Fury said:

What they are describing is bending using only wrist strength. The rules like they are now is perfectly fine. Bending a steel bar at waist level with a double overhand grip is just as hard or harder than reverse and DU.

It's a completely different feat. If they stick with this they are essentially doing the exact same thing as they did when they introduced the CCS rule for grippers.

I am not surprised at all, this was very expected. That's how it goes when people who haven't acomplished anything themself makes up the rules. You get crap rules. But if they actually make a seperate list this time I guess it's okay. One thing is for sure tho, we will not see many red certs anymore and we will never see anyone cert the gold.

I had the pleasure of refereeing a Red Nail bend before the pandemic started at Iron Sport Gym in Glenolden, PA. The bender arrived on time, did a warmup with a yellow or blue nail, quickly wrapped a Red Nail, and bent it like it was a paperclip in about 30 seconds. It was very impressive and fund to watch.

Perhaps Ironmind could have separate divisions for unbraced (DO, DU, and Reverse) bending and the braced at the chin DO versions. For the unbraced versions of bending, there is no reason to bend the nail until the ends are ≤2 inches apart. Find an adequate bending distance or angle for each style and make those distances or angles the requirement.. Nail bending is not a sporting event, so there is no reason to insist upon the aesthetic u-shape of the nails at the end of the bend.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, heathdwatts said:

I had the pleasure of refereeing a Red Nail bend before the pandemic started at Iron Sport Gym in Glenolden, PA. The bender arrived on time, did a warmup with a yellow or blue nail, quickly wrapped a Red Nail, and bent it like it was a paperclip in about 30 seconds. It was very impressive and fund to watch.

Perhaps Ironmind could have separate divisions for unbraced (DO, DU, and Reverse) bending and the braced at the chin DO versions. For the unbraced versions of bending, there is no reason to bend the nail until the ends are ≤2 inches apart. Find an adequate bending distance or angle for each style and make those distances or angles the requirement.. Nail bending is not a sporting event, so there is no reason to insist upon the aesthetic u-shape of the nails at the end of the bend.

You are correct. Every other steel bending certification has a separate division for reverse and DU. And in both of those you only need to bend the bar past 40 degrees.

It seems like Ironmind are stuck in their old ways and will most likely not add new brackets to their cert list simply because they are too lazy to enforce different rule sets.

• Like 2

Just for the heck of it I just tried a Blue Nail under the new rules - brutal!  No go at all with what I would call DO from the start.  I then did reverse to around the 40 degree mark and then switched to low DO - with zero contact at stomach level and the stupid loose wraps all I did was spin across (couldn't get stable) - as soon as I made contact with my abs I was able to finish but it was WAY harder.   I've not been bending but it was a Blue Nail - not exactly a normally tough bend in any fashion.  The position does make it tougher but I think I could adapt to that somewhat - but the new wrapping method really sucked.  It wasn't the length as much as the looseness.  I tried to do the bend at "stomach" level as a test - up higher would no doubt help.

Edited by climber511