Ironmind bending certs

John McCarter

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Would it be possible to DU just slightly away from the body?

Negative not without a good amount of loss. Even arguably the greatest DU bender used some body in his bends.

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

Bat’s barehanded bend would not qualify according to these rules. Bat is baracing his hands against his chest hard. And he also holds the bar higher than his sternum at times.

Haha yes I actually forgot about that part. Just a bunch of weak men on their site now. Better to just look for other places to certify :)

1 hour ago, stranger said:

Exactly. 

Again, there's other channels. Bending will of course live on, with or without IM.

I bent a Red last night without clamping down the pads because I thought it would be harder than the new rules. How wrong I was. 

• Like 2

Please keep things in perspective without bashing.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

I think with these rules changes, they should have someone to demonstrate how to legitimately bend the red nail under cert conditions. 

This is a great suggestion. 

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I don’t think anyone can cert the red right now with their current rules. But a few guys could with training. But I don’t see the point for anyone to do so. It has become a bit of a circus trick now so I would liken it being able to juggle something really heavy. Impressive sure, but those of us who care about actually being strong will move on to other challenges.

David, I'm currently recovering from another bout of heart failure...but not too long ago, i could have "new" certed easily enough. Although this change makes it more difficult,  it's kind of like adjusting to bending the red without rubber bands.  Itll be awkward as hell at first, but people will learn to adjust to these "new cert" conditions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stranger said:

I bent a Red last night without clamping down the pads because I thought it would be harder than the new rules. How wrong I was. 

Red nail cert would have been a joke for you. Set your sights on bigger and better bends now 👍

• Thanks 1

I figure the best way to cert will be to roll it in one pad, reverse it to 40-60 degrees. Then DU it away from your body down until the bar is about 3.5-4” and then finish DO away from body by just interlocking your fingers and using your extensor muscles to crush it down.

Total circus. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, anwnate said:

David, I'm currently recovering from another bout of heart failure...but not too long ago, i could have "new" certed easily enough. Although this change makes it more difficult,  it's kind of like adjusting to bending the red without rubber bands.  Itll be awkward as hell at first, but people will learn to adjust to these "new cert" conditions.

How would you approach it with the new rules?

20220308_100413.thumb.jpg.82840884d71955ac44da10dc68a4a141.jpg

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

How would you approach it with the new rules?

Ok...I just monkeyed with it.  I shouldn't have...and am going to pay for it later...but what bender doesn't?

I really like min-wraps, so I imagine a single wrap would be a reasonable way to go...however not many people do.

I just bent a 7" "K" 0-1 DR...DO with quartering the wraps.  I did not warm up, fold carefully or use chalk at all. I used brand new IMPs which were very slippery. It was ridiculously easy so did an "L" (.290) next...DO also.  This was not so easy.  It's difficult to say how much my heart came into play, but it definitely did.

Observations:

New IMPs are slick.  It really makes holding hotdog style a pain.  But if Randall wants it more gripcentric...he's got it.

Keeping it from touching your neck is easy...from bumping into your chest is hard.  I settled on an upright but leaning forward position.

Incidental contact will be key on a DO cert.  I am assuming we wont get dinged if we are adjusting wraps or grip and we touch our chest...because we are not putting any force in the nail.  I suspect if we adjust, the move out from the body, that will be fine.

I had to constantly stop myself from getting into the most advantageous positions to avoid contact. Obviously we have the most leverage close to the body, regardless if its unbraced or not.

All in all, i think DO is still doable.  I think benders should train normally, but if they want the Red cert, should master it, then specifically train the wraps and body position separately.  Id guess the changes add between 2-5 months to the DO Red Nail journey.  I don't think it makes it prohibitive.

Edited by anwnate
forgot pic
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, anwnate said:

20220308_100413.thumb.jpg.82840884d71955ac44da10dc68a4a141.jpg

Ok...I just monkeyed with it.  I shouldn't have...and am going to pay for it later...but what bender doesn't?

I really like min-wraps, so I imagine a single wrap would be a reasonable way to go...however not many people do.

I just bent a 7" "K" 0-1 DR...DO with quartering the wraps.  I did not warm up, fold carefully or use chalk at all. I used brand new IMPs which were very slippery. It was ridiculously easy so did an "L" (.290) next...DO also.  This was not so easy.  It's difficult to say how much my heart came into play, but it definitely did.

Observations:

New IMPs are slick.  It really makes holding hotdog style a pain.  But if Randall wants it more gripcentric...he's got it.

Keeping it from touching your neck is easy...from bumping into your chest is hard.  I settled on an upright but leaning forward position.

Incidental contact will be key on a DO cert.  I am assuming we wont get dinged if we are adjusting wraps or grip and we touch our chest...because we are not putting any force in the nail.  I suspect if we adjust, the move out from the body, that will be fine.

I had to constantly stop myself from getting into the most advantageous positions to avoid contact. Obviously we have the most leverage close to the body, regardless if its unbraced or not.

All in all, i think DO is still doable.  I think benders should train normally, but if they want the Red cert, should master it, then specifically train the wraps and body position separately.  Id guess the changes add between 2-5 months to the DO Red Nail journey.  I don't think it makes it prohibitive.

And you had the nail between the sternum and waist? 

14 minutes ago, Lennix said:

And you had the nail between the sternum and waist? 

I cut off at the collarbone as my sight point. I think thats where the sternum ends and could be considered "roughly".  If raising above and then lowering before "hitting" is illegal, i would definitely failed.  Itll be a long time UNtraining a practiced movement.

Or maybe it’s not that difficult to DO the bar with it at waist level? I might experiment a little my next session and see if I can DO fold with pure inward force and minimal wrist engagement at belly level. 

1 minute ago, anwnate said:

I cut off at the collarbone as my sight point. I think thats where the sternum ends and could be considered "roughly".  If raising above and then lowering before "hitting" is illegal, i would definitely failed.  Itll be a long time UNtraining a practiced movement.

My guess enterpretation is that it should be below the sternum, meaning that no part of the hands or nail should be over nipple height.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David_wigren said:

My guess enterpretation is that it should be below the sternum, meaning that no part of the hands or nail should be over nipple height.

So now we gotta bend shirtless

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

So now we gotta bend shirtless

How else would you see where the sternum ends? Surely those over at Ironmind thought of this? They can’t be so dumb as to miss such a thing? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Well then...i either misread...or read what i wanted to. Lol.

My apologies...bending solely down there is a completely different feat.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Okay I tried 😂 first Red nail and failed and then a 7mm nail and failed. 

https://youtu.be/dUatH4QhZQk

https://youtu.be/H-363Ha5aG4

Are those pads considered to have been tempered with now? Since using them over time tempers them and makes them easier. When are the pads no longer new? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Well then...i either misread...or read what i wanted to. Lol.

My apologies...bending solely down there is a completely different feat.

It seems even though we are experienced steel benders almost everyone in this thread has made a different interpretation of their new rules. I wonder how a non bender would fair at interpreting those rules. My guess is that they would not fair very well at all.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

It seems even though we are experienced steel benders almost everyone in this thread has made a different interpretation of their new rules. I wonder how a non bender would fair at interpreting those rules. My guess is that they would not fair very well at all.

I would accept the colored area/wrap difference as a rule changes that makes the challenge more difficult and significantly slow certifications. 

Screenshot_20220308-112715_Firefox.thumb.jpg.c6cf67dc4362af6198765082aa7f215e.jpgBelow it...completely changes the feat. More like 3.5coc credit card cert territory.

Edited by anwnate
forgot wraps