Ironmind bending certs

John McCarter

1 minute ago, slazbob said:

That’s fine…people that believe in Bigfoot also don’t like it when I tell them the truth. I’m talking about hand and wrist strength not a shoulder and chest feat. What are you defending here, actually? I never said anything about steel benders being weak …it’s just become more and different than it was set out to be. What’s wrong with that? You talk about people hurting their wrist doing DO bending…that’s a strength issue, not an technical issue. Has anyone hurt their wrist bending an coat hanger? No. 

I just injured myself by smashing my testicles with a brick. I guess my testicles just aren’t strong enough! I should smash them more so they get strong!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, David_wigren said:

I hate olympic weightlifting. Way too much technique! They should focus on getting stronger instead of improving technique to lift those weights! 

I’m gonna join a weightlifting forum and remind them on how they’re all doing it wrong!

You’re correct…they move weight with momentum and technique that other-wise their muscles  cannot bare. You have to have good technique with so many moving parts …like golf- technique makes the contact better and the ball goes further than some amateur who tries to muscle the ball. 

4 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I just injured myself by smashing my testicles with a brick. I guess my testicles just aren’t strong enough! I should smash them more so they get strong!

Use a pillow…

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

That’s fine…people that believe in Bigfoot also don’t like it when I tell them the truth. I’m talking about hand and wrist strength not a shoulder and chest feat. What are you defending here, actually? I never said anything about steel benders being weak …it’s just become more and different than it was set out to be. What’s wrong with that? You talk about people hurting their wrist doing DO bending…that’s a strength issue, not an technical issue. Has anyone hurt their wrist bending an coat hanger? No. 

Yeah bending a gold nail in IMPs has nothing to do with wrist and hand strength. Its just a chest and shoulder feat. Gold nail rates around 550lbs so any big guy who can bench press big weights should be able to bend it no problem.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Yeah bending a gold nail in IMPs has nothing to do with wrist and hand strength. Its just a chest and shoulder feat. Gold nail rates around 550lbs so any big guy who can bench press big weights should be able to bend it no problem.

So you’re saying someone who can bend the gold has the strongest wrists? Basically no one has certified yet, but you’re saying they have the best wrists in the world. Remember I’m talking about under the chin bending with wraps you’re pulling down on. 

isometric hand and wrist strength is needed …of course but nothing world class as far as wrist feats we know of. Unless you know a gold nail bender that can radial lever a 20lb sledgehammer and are holding out on us?

Guys, take it private or move on with the argument. I want this thread to remain open.

1 hour ago, John McCarter said:

Guys, take it private or move on with the argument. I want this thread to remain open.

Geez we’re just talking, John. Is it not a forum anymore? 

6 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Geez we’re just talking, John. Is it not a forum anymore? 

Look at your comments and how others have responded.

Discussing the finer points of steel bending, what tolls it takes upon the body, and certifications, those are all fine points. 

1 minute ago, John McCarter said:

Look at your comments and how others have responded.

Discussing the finer points of steel bending, what tolls it takes upon the body, and certifications, those are all fine points. 

I agree bending is brutal on the body. I can’t control how they respond to my comments. Bill already spoke his peace about that. 
they seem to be offended that the technique of under the chin and pulling down on the wraps is not really in the spirit of the origins of the idea. It’s a feat in a different light…but still a feat of strength. It’s fine if I’m wrong, but I’m not so insecure to verbally try and talk like some have. 
I believe I’m right tho. What’s wrong with iron mind trying to change things for the better? I don’t always agree with things they do; I still think Mike Burke dropped that Axel…But, I trust iron mind will make it something to be proud to accomplish, even more.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, slazbob said:

This just proves you know diddly.

You are most certainly not pulling on the wrap to bend the material in DO. You are pushing on the ends of the bar. DU you are pushing down and in. And the same wraps are used for both. Reverse is possibly the only style besides snapping and med/long braced bending that has any pulling. DO still has wrist involved, maybe not as much as the other two but its there. The fact you are arguing these points with one of the strongest long time benders around is astonishing to me. This is making no sense.

what randell is doing is wrong. Simple as that. No one is cheating by chalking their wraps.  no one is cheating by using DO the way it is now. He is crapping on his own brand and ruining the prestige of red/gold nail certification because he has an axe to grind.  

The only thing Randell bends is peoples patience

Edited by BottledCitrus
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

You are most certainly not pulling on the wrap to bend the material in DO. You are pushing on the ends of the bar. DU you are pushing down and in. 

Right, using chest way more than wrists. I just always thought of it as a wrist feat.

I’ve certainly watched a few bend videos…and the elbows are the indicator of where the force is coming from. Thanks for explaining better than I did.

43 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

You are most certainly not pulling on the wrap to bend the material in DO. You are pushing on the ends of the bar. DU you are pushing down and in. And the same wraps are used for both. Reverse is possibly the only style besides snapping and med/long braced bending that has any pulling. DO still has wrist involved, maybe not as much as the other two but its there. The fact you are arguing these points with one of the strongest long time benders around is astonishing to me. This is making no sense.

what randell is doing is wrong. Simple as that. No one is cheating by chalking their wraps.  no one is cheating by using DO the way it is now. He is crapping on his own brand and ruining the prestige of red/gold nail certification because he has an axe to grind.  

The only thing Randell bends is peoples patience

David has the strength I’m referring to. I’d just like bends to be at chest height or a little lower. But guess that’s not what other people want. It means it’s harder for sure, but it brings the wrist in heavily. 
maybe iron mind isn’t even thinking of going down that path and are looking at pads only and not technique.

3 hours ago, slazbob said:

David has the strength I’m referring to. I’d just like bends to be at chest height or a little lower. But guess that’s not what other people want. It means it’s harder for sure, but it brings the wrist in heavily. 
maybe iron mind isn’t even thinking of going down that path and are looking at pads only and not technique.

In case you didn’t know, what Brookfield did in Blueprint for grip strength was actually a normal double overhand bend. The fact that he was lower on the chest does not change the fact that it was a double overhand bend. He hade the same hand placement and utilized the same type of inward forces as in a normal double overhand bend.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

So you’re saying someone who can bend the gold has the strongest wrists? Basically no one has certified yet, but you’re saying they have the best wrists in the world. Remember I’m talking about under the chin bending with wraps you’re pulling down on. 

isometric hand and wrist strength is needed …of course but nothing world class as far as wrist feats we know of. Unless you know a gold nail bender that can radial lever a 20lb sledgehammer and are holding out on us?

Wrist and grip strength is very specific. I’m sure there are 70kg Bulgarians who could, even in Brookfield’s prime make his hands and wrists appear to be made of butter on an armwrestling table. Not because of technique but because their hands, wrists and forearms are simply alot stronger in the positions they need to be. Yet they’d appear quite average if they attempted to lift sledgehammers or similar events where Brookfield excels.

Bending a gold nail double overhand would without a doubt require world class wrist, grip and forearm strength. But being able to do one thing doesn’t automatically mean you can do everything else. There is carryover yes, but only to a degree.

3 hours ago, slazbob said:

The thing is, if this were to be just a test of wrist strength the DO would have been taken away even before the gold nail was added to the certification. Not many have certified the Red Nail Reverse/DU and then add the gold nail to the challenge which obviously inspired people to bend harder stuff because it was possible with the DO style. So it's contradicting. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, David_wigren said:

In case you didn’t know, what Brookfield did in Blueprint for grip strength was actually a normal double overhand bend. The fact that he was lower on the chest does not change the fact that it was a double overhand bend. He hade the same hand placement and utilized the same type of inward forces as in a normal double overhand bend.

I know. What do you mean by normal…under chin? 

6 hours ago, Lennix said:

The thing is, if this were to be just a test of wrist strength the DO would have been taken away even before the gold nail was added to the certification. Not many have certified the Red Nail Reverse/DU and then add the gold nail to the challenge which obviously inspired people to bend harder stuff because it was possible with the DO style. So it's contradicting. 

It isn’t really…take the chin tuck out and a lot of people will have to drop their DO bends resistance down. I understand it’s a great adaptation to getting around the force of bending, but you don’t go around for strength feat’s imo. 

4 minutes ago, slazbob said:

It isn’t really…take the chin tuck out and a lot of people will have to drop their DO bends resistance down. I understand it’s a great adaptation to getting around the force of bending, but you don’t go around for strength feat’s imo. 

Wait, what do you think happends under the chin?.. 

7 minutes ago, slazbob said:

and yes people will bend less heavy, but why is there a gold nail that is like 10x harder then a red nail? Sure I could have chased the red cert for 5 months instead of 4 but then I would have been done with ironmind. 

48 minutes ago, slazbob said:

I remember a conversation I had with a guy from work years ago who argued that your bodyweight should be subtracted from your deadlift. Because all you had to do was to squat down and then lean back and your bodyweight would pull the weight up. Needless to say this person wasn’t a lifter. He was just a regular bloke with an opinion.

I tried to explain to him why his opinion wasn’t correct. At first I tried to use my experience of lifting weights as an argument of authority, sort of like I’ve-done-this-a-million-times-so-therefore-I-know-this-better-than-you-because-you’ve-never-even-set-foot-in-the-gym type argument. Unfortunately that didn’t help to convince him that he was wrong. I then tried to use physics to explain to him why he was incorrect. Still, he didn’t change his mind. 

You remind me alot of that guy.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I want to hear this aswell. What does Slazbob think happens under the chin.

6 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

54 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Clearly this is happening under the chin

10-laws-of-strength-from-louie-simmons_graphics_met-rx-5.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I remember a conversation I had with a guy from work years ago who argued that your bodyweight should be subtracted from your deadlift. Because all you had to do was to squat down and then lean back and your bodyweight would pull the weight up. Needless to say this person wasn’t a lifter. He was just a regular bloke with an opinion.

I tried to explain to him why his opinion wasn’t correct. At first I tried to use my experience of lifting weights as an argument of authority, sort of like I’ve-done-this-a-million-times-so-therefore-I-know-this-better-than-you-because-you’ve-never-even-set-foot-in-the-gym type argument. Unfortunately that didn’t help to convince him that he was wrong. I then tried to use physics to explain to him why he was incorrect. Still, he didn’t change his mind. 

You remind me alot of that guy.

But that doesn’t explain what you quoted me saying. Lennix already said what I’ve been saying…it’s easier up under the chin using more muscle of the upper body and less wrist than if out in front. I’m not quoting him here, he just said that you would not be able to bend what you normally bend in that high chin stuff as out in front. 
why is this so hard to admit? 

just like the deep set guys getting upset with ccs and reasonable people said if you can ccs set a trainer, you can do the same with a no.3 

same goes for this…if you can bend an iron mind yellow out in front of you you can do a red.

like I mentioned last night tho, iron mind May only be looking at pads and other little things, and not the technique.

17 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

It’s as high as you could go without putting on top of your head for your chest and other big muscles to get leverage. Watch the old Worlds Strongest Man videos of them bending bars…putting it on top of their heads because they couldn’t bend it.  

• Haha 1

I get it’s a great idea to overcome a challenge and people will always advance things with ideas and technique. But if it’s a hand and wrist feat, I think it should be kept that way.