Getting back into grip.

mcalpine1986

47 minutes ago, matek said:

Ok since it was a rest day anyway, I tried the exercises he suggested/showed. 
Dude I've never felt this in my thumb pad 😐. Not from blobs, or anything. I'm actually really glad you shared this video because this seems like a cheat code for fast gainz. Thanks! 

Btw those inverse grip rope pullups look sick👍

ft.jpg

Awesome man, that's one thick hand. The pumps are insane. If you check out Chris Drummonds Instagram he he as some thumb and hand pics and the thickness is insane.

The first pronation one especially is amazing, the trick it seems is to really focus on using the thumb alone and not just the pronator muscles as you add weight, mine has visibly grown in under 2 weeks.

I do own a ivanko supergripper but I felt the ROM wasn't big enough so I do another lift that I felt more effective which I shall make a video and show you and the other Harrison guy who asked above. 

I actually took a series of hand and thumb measurements before I stared using a tape measure and also measuring my Adductor pollicus thickness using calipers. When researching I found that the caliper Adductor pollicus measurement is a standardized test that doctors use on patients. The average thickness for adult men in studies have shown to be 12-15mm.

Mine was 21mm left and 22mm right so I'm glad I was above average to start. 

Thanks, the inverted grip pullups are very difficult but pumped up my pinkie pad which felt great. They really increase Brachioradialis activation.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Keep it up, its working... I wish i could be disciplined with my diet.  I don't do sweets to much or snacks, i just love meat, pizza and bread..I take responsibility for it but construction just doesn't encourage a healthy life style..  I actually have more energy and recover better now that i'm 15lbs heavier and i'm probably leaner than I was at 170lbs but overall i felt better being lighter. Sorta a catch 22

Beer is my weakness too but I think i gotta cut back again. Getting back to my old habits🤣 

Thanks, yes I'm on a nice steady phase gaining nicely in strength which I plan to ride out as long as I can. 

Yes pizza is also a weakness of mine so I hear you there 🤣

• Like 2

The thumb work is crazy, i get absolutly stupid pumps and it legitimatly feel like my thumb pad is gonna rip in half and it just keep going and going.

Learned about those from the devon belt lifts, before i only ever worked the thumb through pinch and while it give you great strain in the hand muscles it doesn't work the same parts of the thumb and you "feel" it less in your thumb pad compared to direct thumb isolation with bands and belts

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Apneaa said:

The thumb work is crazy, i get absolutly stupid pumps and it legitimatly feel like my thumb pad is gonna rip in half and it just keep going and going.

Learned about those from the devon belt lifts, before i only ever worked the thumb through pinch and while it give you great strain in the hand muscles it doesn't work the same parts of the thumb and you "feel" it less in your thumb pad compared to direct thumb isolation with bands and belts

Agreed. In the past I've done load of pinch and thick bar lifts etc, they might all hit the thumb but not build it to me. Static lifts don't build size for me personally, I need dynamic moves. 

I started doing loads of macebell finger walks months ago and saw some nice thumb and pinkie pad growth but kicked it up a notch with these strap lifts and it's paying off. Hopefully I'll have a turkey leg looking thumb soon.

BW 74.9kg

*note that back in may I tore my right hand side glute deadlifting so since then all I've done is rehab work and very light lower body work. It feels fully healed now so I'm slowly reintroducing strength work for lower. I've started training box jumps as i find them low impact and they build power.

45° Hyperextensions

BW 4x10

Standing Box jumps. 

12" 2x5

20" 2x3

26" 2x2

32" 2x1

36" 2x1

38" 10 attempts, not quite. A mental block.

36" 5x1

38" 4 attempts, close but no cigar.

38" X 1 I was about to give up but finally made it on my 15th try. Woohoo! 

I landed well but did have to steady myself as these boxes are spongey and also on a 2" thick spongey floor mat which wobble all over when you land lol.

38" is A good start and not too bad for my height of 5ft 8.5" tall but nothing special ethier. Once my lower body power comes back I should be getting 40"+

Edited by mcalpine1986
Mistakes
  • Like 5

BW 74.4.

Trying some AW lifts today just for fun as a new Arm wrestling club has opened that I plan to try out once my shoulder fully heals.

Towel pullups

BW 2x 6

Static pronation (Devon larratt style)

12kg x 5 L+R

16kg X 3 L+R

20kg x 2 L+R

24kg X 2 L+R

26kg X 1 L+R

28kg X 1 L+R

30KG X 1 L+R

Static Riser lift(Devon style)

12kg x 5 L+R

16kg X 3 L+R

20kg x 1 L+R

22kg X 1 L+R

24kg X 1 L+R

25kg X 1 L not quite with right hand

20kg x 5 L+R

A real fun session trying these. I don't plan to keep doing these as it's best to train pronation and riser with lighter variations, bigger ROM and higher reps. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

BW 74.4.

Trying some AW lifts today just for fun as a new Arm wrestling club has opened that I plan to try out once my shoulder fully heals.

Towel pullups

BW 2x 6

Static pronation (Devon larratt style)

12kg x 5 L+R

16kg X 3 L+R

20kg x 2 L+R

24kg X 2 L+R

26kg X 1 L+R

28kg X 1 L+R

30KG X 1 L+R

Static Riser lift(Devon style)

12kg x 5 L+R

16kg X 3 L+R

20kg x 1 L+R

22kg X 1 L+R

24kg X 1 L+R

25kg X 1 L not quite with right hand

20kg x 5 L+R

A real fun session trying these. I don't plan to keep doing these as it's best to train pronation and riser with lighter variations, bigger ROM and higher reps. 

Nice work man... I bet once you get the technique down you'll be a good arm wrestler.. You have the strength.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work man... I bet once you get the technique down you'll be a good arm wrestler.. You have the strength.

Thanks man.

I'll probably get my arse handed to me at first as like you say it's all about technique but have strong fundamentals helps. 

I've got a right hand size rotator cuff niggle atm though so I'm waiting until that heals fully first as I don't want any shoulder injuries. 

I'm just buzzing that a local club has opened up as before now the nearest was about 100 miles Away. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man.

I'll probably get my arse handed to me at first as like you say it's all about technique but have strong fundamentals helps. 

I've got a right hand size rotator cuff niggle atm though so I'm waiting until that heals fully first as I don't want any shoulder injuries. 

I'm just buzzing that a local club has opened up as before now the nearest was about 100 miles Away. 

You are doing the smart thing. I was planning on going to my club soon, just to mess around on the occasional Sunday. Me and my ex girl had plans to go as she lived right near there.

She turned into a monster out of no where last week I cant go in her vicinity.   I now know she has some form of a personality disorder. My dad told me never trust someone that doesn't drink, and i'm starting to believe that. 🤣

I'll check out the club in time though, as the next nearest one is like 60 miles from me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You are doing the smart thing. I was planning on going to my club soon, just to mess around on the occasional Sunday. Me and my ex girl had plans to go as she lived right near there.

She turned into a monster out of no where last week I cant go in her vicinity.   I now know she has some form of a personality disorder. My dad told me never trust someone that doesn't drink, and i'm starting to believe that. 🤣

I'll check out the club in time though, as the next nearest one is like 60 miles from me. 

Yes being injury free is my number one priority with anything training related so once I'm fully healed. Rotator cuffs are delicate and mine is getting better but not ready yet. 

Oh man that's sounds a nightmare tbh, some women are good at hiding stuff personality wise at first but once you really get to know them the dark side becomes apparent and some will end up Batsh*t crazy 🤣

60 miles is still quite a hike but I suppose in the USA not bad. Here that's classes as far away. This local club is ran out of a gym less than 10 miles away so I'm lucky.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Yes being injury free is my number one priority with anything training related so once I'm fully healed. Rotator cuffs are delicate and mine is getting better but not ready yet. 

Oh man that's sounds a nightmare tbh, some women are good at hiding stuff personality wise at first but once you really get to know them the dark side becomes apparent and some will end up Batsh*t crazy 🤣

60 miles is still quite a hike but I suppose in the USA not bad. Here that's classes as far away. This local club is ran out of a gym less than 10 miles away so I'm lucky.

You should get some Indian clubs if you don't already use them. They are great for shoulder health.  60 miles isn't that bad. But the city its in is very sketchy.

She either is a narcissist  or has borderline personality disorder. I'm lucky I got out as clean as i did because people like that can cause serious trauma if you are around it long enough.  Maybe i'll talk about everything that happened here someday. Just to warn others. It seriously went from amazing to that bad in less than 24 hours. Shes going to do what she did to me to the wrong dude and get herself killed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You should get some Indian clubs if you don't already use them. They are great for shoulder health.  60 miles isn't that bad. But the city its in is very sketchy.

She either is a narcissist  or has borderline personality disorder. I'm lucky I got out as clean as i did because people like that can cause serious trauma if you are around it long enough.  Maybe i'll talk about everything that happened here someday. Just to warn others. It seriously went from amazing to that bad in less than 24 hours. Shes going to do what she did to me to the wrong dude and get herself killed.

It sounds pretty messed up but maybe a blessing in disguise, It sounds like you have Dodged a bullet in the long run.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

It sounds pretty messed up but maybe a blessing in disguise, It sounds like you have Dodged a bullet in the long run.

Dude, I wouldn't buy her ex husband a beer. I'd buy him an open bar

• Haha 1

BW 74.7kg

Pushups

4 x 18

Riser curls(strap over knuckles)

8kg X 10 L+R

12kg X 10, 10, 9 L+R

Rope grip pushdowns

10kg X 10

25kg X 10

40kg X 10, 8 

Thumb pronation with strap

2kg X 25 L+R

6kg 3 x 30 L+R

Thumb Adduction with strap

1kg X 25 L+R

5g X 25 L+R

5kg X 50 L  57 R

5kg X 50. L+R

@Harrison

@matek

Guys This is the Adductor pollicus exercise I was on about, to me these work better than using a Ivanko supergripper like Chris Drummonds video. You get a bigger ROM with these and it pumps up my hands crazy. I get carried away with the reps 🤣

M extensor bands thumbless

Green X 25 L+R

Blue X 25, 25, 30 L+R

Grippers

COC T X 30 L+R

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

BW 74.7kg

Pushups

4 x 18

Riser curls(strap over knuckles)

8kg X 10 L+R

12kg X 10, 10, 9 L+R

Rope grip pushdowns

10kg X 10

25kg X 10

40kg X 10, 8 

Thumb pronation with strap

2kg X 25 L+R

6kg 3 x 30 L+R

Thumb Adduction with strap

1kg X 25 L+R

5g X 25 L+R

5kg X 50 L  57 R

5kg X 50. L+R

@Harrison

@matek

Guys This is the Adductor pollicus exercise I was on about, to me these work better than using a Ivanko supergripper like Chris Drummonds video. You get a bigger ROM with these and it pumps up my hands crazy. I get carried away with the reps 🤣

M extensor bands thumbless

Green X 25 L+R

Blue X 25, 25, 30 L+R

Grippers

COC T X 30 L+R

Looks killer! I bet you got a sick thumb pump. Forearm looks great as well👍
I tried it. For this movement, the super gripper works the best for me (better than the pony clamp as well). With the belt, I think I'm 'cheating' more than I want to. 😅

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, matek said:

Looks killer! I bet you got a sick thumb pump. Forearm looks great as well👍
I tried it. For this movement, the super gripper works the best for me (better than the pony clamp as well). With the belt, I think I'm 'cheating' more than I want to. 😅

I do, I know what you mean with cheating as it obviously involves some ulnar deviation as well but it's still a heavy focus on the Adductor pollicus. Man these blows my thumbs and Adductors up crazy. 

I don't know why, maybe it's my thumb length or anatomy of my hand but the supergripper just doesn't feel right and work as well for me. I don't like the feel of a pony clamp ethier

Everyone is different though and has different hand anatomy so it's about what works for you. Ethier way hopefully we can all build John Brzenk like thumbs as his are absolutely massive, the whole thumb, Adductor and hypothenar muscles and just insane.

• Like 3

BW 74.9kg

Pushups

4x20

Inverted grip towel pullups

BW X 6, 8, 8, 8

Rope pushdowns

20kg x 10

30kg X 10

40kg X 10, 10

Riser hammer curls

8kg X 8 L+R

12kg X 8 L+R

16kg X 6, 7 R x 7, 8 L

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc 1 X 18, 15, 12 R X 8 L

Coc T X 30, 20 L

Thumb pronation

1kg X 25 L+R

7Kg 3x25

Thumb Adduction on cable stack with strap

5kg 4x 25 L+R

IM extensor band thumbless

green X 25 L+R

Red 3 x 25 L+R

• Like 4

BW 74.5kg

45° Hypers

BW X 10, 10, 12, 12

Box jump

14" X 5, 5

22" X 3, 3

26" X 2, 2

30" X 1, 1

34" X 1, 1

36" 5 x 5

Single leg box jump

20" X 1 L+R

26" X 1 L+R

24" X 3, 5, 5 R X 1, 1 L

12" X 5 L

• Like 6

BW 163lbs

Pushups

4 x 22 reps

Towel pullup

BW 2x 6

Pronator curls

25lb X 5 L+R

35b X 3 L+R 

45lbs x 8 L+R

50lb X 8 L X 7 R

45lb X 8 L+R

Cupped Wrist curls on 2" Dumbbell

35lb X 5 L+R

45lb X 5 L+R

55lb X 3 L+R

70lb X 2 L+R

80lb X 5 L+R

68lb X 8 L+R

* My first time doing any wrist flexion work in about a year so I'm very pleased with my wrist strength. All the rope pullups have had carryover.

Thumb Pronation

2kg X 25 L+R

8kg 3 x 25 L+R

Thumb Adduction with resistance band

Red 2x50

IM Extensor bands thumbless

Green X 20 L+R

Red 3 x 30 L+R

• Like 5

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

WAY COOL

Thanks man, I'm loving these workouts that are mainly aimed at building my hand muscles but as a bonus my forearms are growing as well. Check out how pumped my hands were this morning after this workout. 

Relaxed on the left and fist clenched to the right. The top part of my thumb muscle, the Adductor pollicus has grown nicely in 3 weeks since I started this protocol. 

IMG_20231004_125932.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

BW 74.7kg

Pushups X 25, 25, 25, 20

Inverted grip rope pullups

BW X 6, 11, 8 , 4

Rope pushdowns 

20kg x 8

30kg X 8

45kg X 8

40kg X 8

Grippers 

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc 1 X 20, 20, 15 R     x 12 L

Coc T X 40, 30 L

Resistance band Supination*

2 x 50

Resistance band pronation*

2 x 50

*These are an excellent recovery and elbow health exercise that I like when sore from the previous session but you still want to do something grip, these will benefit anyone into grip or arm training. it's also great for a pump without zero stress on the joints.

Set a light resistance band up across a rack around waist height and wrap the middle with a towel, grip the middle then Supinate and pronation each side. I like sets of 50 reps or so. It flushes blood into the muscles.

The supination feels the best to me and they make my elbows and wrists feel great. I used to do these years ago after grippers or on rest days, I've always been into using towels for grip work. I recently reintroduced them since I've been doing so much grip volume and they help me reduce soreness and recover.

thumb Adduction

red resistance band X 50, 35, 25, 15 L+R

IM extensor bands thumbless

Green X 20 L+R

red 3x 35 L+R

• Like 3

Nice work!
I have a forearm/recovery day today, will try these high-rep supinations and pronations because my left elbow is fried from the Wrist Developer.  

You should try armwrestling. I bet you would be a killer in your weight category (maybe even above) in no time. I'll try it one day as well, I'm injured all the time ayways 😂

• Like 1