Getting back into grip.

mcalpine1986

22 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

WOW!  That does sound brutal!

Realizing now I was barely scratching the surface of rope variations.

ya ropes can be used for so many different things. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

WOW!  That does sound brutal!

Realizing now I was barely scratching the surface of rope variations.

Oh yeah, they were very difficult. At the bottom like in the pic I uploaded above it was insane, I had to really tense my whole core, lats Triceps and grip. I'm very sore today in my abs 😩

53 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

ya ropes can be used for so many different things. 🤣

Indeed 😂 I plan to use these for lots of exercises but mainly weigted pullups, rows and hammer curls

• Like 1

BW 74.7kg

Lift grippers, working on setting technique.

Rope grip barbell hammer curl

22kg X 8

32kg X 6

42kg X 3

37kg X 7

One arm rope grip hammer curl

17kg X 8, 8 L+R

Macebell fingers walks

A great session, the hammers using a rope were brutal, they just want to snap your wrist back and you have to fight to keep radial deviation whilst having to squeeze like hell to keep the weight from dropping, my forearms were pumped up crazy after this.

IMG_20230908_100255.jpg

• Like 7

BW 75kg

Grippers working on setting

8 sets various coc T to 2.

Macebell fingers walks*

* The handle is 37" long but I train these to 32" to keep the distance consistent as it varies depending on the plates added.

3.5lbs X 1 L+R

18lbs X 1 L+R *P.R.

14lbs X 1 L+R

12lbs X 1 L+R

Finger walks the "hard" way 

9lbs X 1 L+R

• Like 6

BW 75KG. 

Pushups 

2 x 15

Chinups 

2 x 5

One arm Dumbbell curl

10kg X 5, 5 L+R

15kg X 3 L+R

20kg X 1 L+R

22.5kg X 1 L+R

28KG Antique Globe solid cast iron DB 

3 singles Right 1 single left*

*Not super strict but not bad, I've only curled once in months and globe bells feel heavier than normal DBs as they just want to roll out of your hand. Very tough.

I'm starting a thumb pad and hand muscles specialization phase as I need more hand thickness to help with grippers, I plan to do this 3 times per.

Grippers

COC S X 15 L+R

COC T X 25 , 22 L+R

Thumb strap pronation thumb flexion*

*I dont know the proper name but you have a strap over your thumb and pronate and flex your thumb pad each rep. These pumped up my thumbs like balloon's.

1kg X 25 L+R

2kg X 25 L+R

3kg X 25 L+R

2kg X 25 L+R

Thumb flexion with strap on weight stack Machine

5kg X 11, 10 L+R

IM Extensor bands 

Green X 25 L+R

Yellow X 25 L+R

• Like 6

nice work. I'd love to get a set of globe dbs... up to 100lbs or something. They are so cool.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

nice work. I'd love to get a set of globe dbs... up to 100lbs or something. They are so cool.

Thanks man, unfortunately this one isn't mine. A PT in the gym Brought it in and set a challenge to curl it so I had to have a go, it's ancient this thing and he claims it's french from an old gym Serge Nubret trained at. Solid cast iron Globe bells behave differently to Normal DBs, they just want to roll out your hand so are tough to lift compared to an equivalent normal Db. 

They are very cool, I just love the look and feel of them. I bought this old pair of very rare Golds gym DBs last year, they are about 45-50 years old I believe, weighs 20kg each and have 45mm thick handles. They feel awesome, a nice addition to my collection.

IMG_20230614_125234.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man, unfortunately this one isn't mine. A PT in the gym Brought it in and set a challenge to curl it so I had to have a go, it's ancient this thing and he claims it's french from an old gym Serge Nubret trained at. Solid cast iron Globe bells behave differently to Normal DBs, they just want to roll out your hand so are tough to lift compared to an equivalent normal Db. 

They are very cool, I just love the look and feel of them. I bought this old pair of very rare Golds gym DBs last year, they are about 45-50 years old I believe, weighs 20kg each and have 45mm thick handles. They feel awesome, a nice addition to my collection.

IMG_20230614_125234.jpg

Thats why they are so cool. I wish a company in the US would manufacture them.

I like the fact they wanna roll out of your hands. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

That’s way cool 

Thanks and yes globe bells are very cool, this 28kg/62lb one the trainer brought in was ancient but felt great to lift. It's rare you see them these days. 

BW 74.7kg

Pushups

BW 4 x 12

Rope grip pullups

BW X 5

+10kg X 3

+20kg X 1

BW X 17

Grippers

COC S X 10 L+R

COC T 3 X 25 L+R

Thumb flex strap pronation

1kg X 25 L+R

3kg 3 x 25 L+R

Thumb flexion for The Adductor pollicis 

2kg 4 x 25 L+R

IM Extensor bands

Green X 25 L+R

yellow 3 x 20 L+R

I'm loving these hand muscle workouts, my hand muscles pumped up crazy. Especially the Adductor pollicus meat between my index finger and thumb and my Interossei muscles between my index finger. My hands looks deformed after this 😂

IMG_20230918_084926_339.jpg

IMG_20230918_084926_452.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Great work! 

Thanks, I've started a hand thickness specialization phase to gain beef up my palms and thumbs to help with grippers. These exercises pump up my hand crazy. 

BW 74.4kg

Pushups 4 x 15

Towel grip pullups

BW X 5

+10kg X 3

+20kg X 1

BW X 18

*I so wanted 20 reps but only got 18 and a 19th that was only 90% ROM. 

Grippers

COC S X 10 L+R

COC 1 X 15 R x 10 L

COC T X 30 right X 35 L

COC T X 25 R X 32 L

Thumb pronation with strap

5 kg 4x25

Thumb Adduction with strap

1.5-4kg 4 sets of 15-50 reps

IM bands

Green X 20 L+R

Blue 2 x 25 L+R

Yellow X 40 L+R

Another crazy hand pump, my Adductor Pollicus muscles get blown up form these thumb exercises. My Adductor was bulging out like an egg was put in there.

IMG_20230922_101611.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 7

BW 75.1kg

Pushups

BW X 18, 18, 18, 15

INVERTED Grip rope pullups*

*My first time and these are insanely difficult compared to a normal grip. They require much more radial wrist strength and you are gripping mainly with your ring and pinkie..

BW X 6, 6, 6

+10kg X 5

+20kg X 3

Arm wrestling specific top half ROM grip inverted rope pullups*

BW X 20

* A local arm wrestling club has just started up and I think I'm going to try out.

Grippers

COC S X 10 L+R

COC 1 X 15, 15, 18 R 

COC 1 X 12 , 8 L

COC T X 40 L

Thumb isolation pronation

1kg X 25 L+R

5.5kg 3x 25 L+R

Thumb Adduction with strap

1kg X 25 L+R

4kg 2 x 25 L+R

3kg X 25 L+R

IM Extensor bands

Green X 20 L+R

Blue X 25 L+R

Thumbless IM Extensor bands

Blue X 25 L+R

Yellow X 25 L+R

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 4:37 AM, mcalpine1986 said:

Another crazy hand pump, my Adductor Pollicus muscles get blown up form these thumb exercises.

What are you these thumb exercises? Do you have any videos or examples? Please & Thank you.

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Harrison said:

What are you these thumb exercises? Do you have any videos or examples? Please & Thank you.

Hey man. 

Well the first one is simple, it's just a pronation with added weight but light using pretty much purely you thumb to flex. I copied Chris Drummond the arm wrestler in this video. Have a watch it's pure gold, it's the first lift he does. I actually use a dog lead as a strap and it works very well. 

He does a second exercise for specific Adductor Pollicus growth using an ivanko supergripper with a spring removed. I do actually own one but IMO the ROM isn't big enough.

So I do a different strap exercise where the strap is looped over the end of the thumb with the weight hanging by my side and using pure thumb Adduction only lift the weight. It pumps up my hand crazy. It's kind of hard to describe in detail so I'll make a video and post it on here when I'm done so you can see. 

I hope that helps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Thank you!!! I greatly appreciate this.

No worries. I'm glad I can help, this hand size specialization I'm going is working well so far. I'm only 5 workouts in but I can see a difference already. 

• Like 3

You are doing it right. Staying lean and gaining strength. I might start taking some notes from you.  Its not an easy thing to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Hey man. 

Well the first one is simple, it's just a pronation with added weight but light using pretty much purely you thumb to flex. I copied Chris Drummond the arm wrestler in this video. Have a watch it's pure gold, it's the first lift he does. I actually use a dog lead as a strap and it works very well. 

He does a second exercise for specific Adductor Pollicus growth using an ivanko supergripper with a spring removed. I do actually own one but IMO the ROM isn't big enough.

So I do a different strap exercise where the strap is looped over the end of the thumb with the weight hanging by my side and using pure thumb Adduction only lift the weight. It pumps up my hand crazy. It's kind of hard to describe in detail so I'll make a video and post it on here when I'm done so you can see. 

I hope that helps.

Ok since it was a rest day anyway, I tried the exercises he suggested/showed. 
Dude I've never felt this in my thumb pad 😐. Not from blobs, or anything. I'm actually really glad you shared this video because this seems like a cheat code for fast gainz. Thanks! 

Btw those inverse grip rope pullups look sick👍

ft.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, matek said:

Ok since it was a rest day anyway, I tried the exercises he suggested/showed. 
Dude I've never felt this in my thumb pad 😐. Not from blobs, or anything. I'm actually really glad you shared this video because this seems like a cheat code for fast gainz. Thanks! 

Btw those inverse grip rope pullups look sick👍

ft.jpg

Yeah I really might give these a go also. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You are doing it right. Staying lean and gaining strength. I might start taking some notes from you.  Its not an easy thing to do.

Thanks man, I'm trying to maintain and gain strength yeah and it's working, I don't like to get too heavy and feel best around the 75kg/165lbs mark. I'll probably gain upto 170lb by winter but not any heavier.

I'm quite disciplined with my diet but my weakness is beer lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man, I'm trying to maintain and gain strength yeah and it's working, I don't like to get too heavy and feel best around the 75kg/165lbs mark. I'll probably gain upto 170lb by winter but not any heavier.

I'm quite disciplined with my diet but my weakness is beer lol

Keep it up, its working... I wish i could be disciplined with my diet.  I don't do sweets to much or snacks, i just love meat, pizza and bread..I take responsibility for it but construction just doesn't encourage a healthy life style..  I actually have more energy and recover better now that i'm 15lbs heavier and i'm probably leaner than I was at 170lbs but overall i felt better being lighter. Sorta a catch 22

Beer is my weakness too but I think i gotta cut back again. Getting back to my old habits🤣 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1