Getting back into grip.

mcalpine1986

15 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work man. Keep it up.

I think we got similar builds but i might be little bigger framed and an inch taller. But I really wish i could stay around 165-170lbs.  

Ive put on 13lbs and and about 183ish now. Calisthenics are actually easier and i'm leaner but i just feel so much better around 165-170.  Really impresses me your gains while maintaining.

But i dont think i'm lifting the inch under 180lbs.... Maybe someday when i get  the strength it i can cut down.. 

Thanks man. I'm going to keep going.

I have a weird build, tiny arm and leg bones but big hand and feet yet wide clavicles and big rib cage. My chest is 44" relaxed and at 165lb I'd say that's a decent size. I'm all torso 😂

I'm still nursing a mild rotator cuff strain but it's getting a lot better. I'll be back to more pushing soon and may gain Weight, my glute tear although healed has stopped me with heavy lower lifting so that's why I've been maintaining my weight. I know at Xmas I'll probably gain some lbs. 

I hear you on bodyweight stuff being easier when lighter. Even just 5lb extra makes a difference.

Being heavier will help you with the inch sure, mass moves mass. If you look at all the people who can lift the inch, the majority are bigger guys at least 180lb but more often 200lbs+. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man. I'm going to keep going.

I have a weird build, tiny arm and leg bones but big hand and feet yet wide clavicles and big rib cage. My chest is 44" relaxed and at 165lb I'd say that's a decent size. I'm all torso 😂

I'm still nursing a mild rotator cuff strain but it's getting a lot better. I'll be back to more pushing soon and may gain Weight, my glute tear although healed has stopped me with heavy lower lifting so that's why I've been maintaining my weight. I know at Xmas I'll probably gain some lbs. 

I hear you on bodyweight stuff being easier when lighter. Even just 5lb extra makes a difference.

Being heavier will help you with the inch sure, mass moves mass. If you look at all the people who can lift the inch, the majority are bigger guys at least 180lb but more often 200lbs+. 

Its way healthier way to be and easier on the joints.  Keep doing what your doing.

But yeah, the more and more i train the more i realize i need mass.  I dont care about 6 packs or any of that but i always preferred being lighter for those reasons.  My frame can handle 200lbs, i dont like going over that though.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Its way healthier way to be and easier on the joints.  Keep doing what your doing.

But yeah, the more and more i train the more i realize i need mass.  I dont care about 6 packs or any of that but i always preferred being lighter for those reasons.  My frame can handle 200lbs, i dont like going over that though.  

Thats true man yes, the older I get the lighter I like to be. Years ago I was powerlifting and 200lbs. I didn't like it although I was strong. 

I always feel the best between 165-170lb myself. With my small joints it's best for me. As long as you are healthy though weight doesn't matter too much within reason.

Edited by mcalpine1986

BW 75kg

Med ball slam

5kg 4 x 10

Rope pushdowns

10kg X 15

25kg X 8

40kg X 10, 8

Grippers*fatigued from yesterday but I like to train when not fresh so it's tougher.

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc 1 2 x 1 CCS L+R

Coc 2 x 1 X just missed left CCS

GHP 5 RGC 113lb CCS - 2 attempts down to about 4-5mm. I've never closed this with a CCS before but if fresh and rested I think I would get it now.

COC 1.5 X 15, 10 R

Coc 1 3 x 8 L

Cable Riser curls over knuckles

10kg X 8 L+R

20kg X 8 L+R

25kg X 8, 6 L+R

4" cupped wrist curls

15kg X 10 L+R

25kg 3 x 10 L+R

Thumb Adduction

Stress ball X 60, 40 L+R

IM Extensor bands thumbless

Green X 20 L+R

Red X 60 L+R

Green X 100 L+R

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 5

BW 76kg.2 Holding water from weekends booze. 

Med ball slams 

Various to warm up. 

My Rotator cuff strains feels pretty much healed now, it's been 8 weeks ns pushing wise all I've done are pushups. The gym bought new Dip bars so I tested them out today and no pain or strain. Woohoo.

Bar dips

BW 2 x 6

+10kg X 5

+20kg X 5

+30kg X 5

+40kg 2 x 5

+20kg X 12

In other news My 2 new Standard Gold and Platinum Grippers From cannon power works arrived here on Saturday, that's from Minnesota in USA to Newcastle upon Tyne in England in a record 6 days! I couldn't believe how fast it's been as normally at least 2 weeks. I can't wait to try these beauties out. 

IMG_20231106_101801.jpg

IMG_20231106_101748.jpg

• Like 7

That is fast . Nice grippers

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

That is fast . Nice grippers

Thanks and yes, under a week from the States to here is unheard of lol. 

That was normal USPS first class as well which is the same as I've always used in the past. CPW are fast at shipping them out but it's never normally that fast with USPS or our Royal mail post office here ethier. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

BW 75kg *chest very sore from dips yesterday.

Band rows

Black band 4 x 10

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc 1 X 1 L+R

Standard gold 92rgc X 1 L+R

Coc 2 102lb x 1 R

Standard platinum 119Rgc 3 attempts

close but struggled setting today as my chest is ridiculously sore and I just felt weak.

*Regardless of that I'm still going to keep at it with lighter grippers and build back up to that level, at the minute I can can close my GHP 5 113 at any time but need submaximal work to build the strength to move up in gripper strength. I must be patient. Lots of work in the 70-85% range has always worked in nicely.

Standard gold x 1, 0, 0 TNS R

Standard gold x 4, 3 L

Coc 1 X 8 L

Cable riser curl over knuckles 

10kg X 8 L+R

20kg X 6 L+R

30kg X 6 L+R

25kg X 8 L+R

Cable Thumb Pronation, strict braced against a bench 

5kg X 25 L+R

10kg X 25 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

15g X 25 R X 20 L

10kg X 35 L+R

Cable supination, strict braced against a bench

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 25 L+R

15kg X 25kg L+R

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work

Thanks, it was a good workout. I've ran out of reactions to like your comment today. 

BW 75.5kg

Med ball slams

Various to warm up

*My Rotator cuff feels healed so I trialled overwork pressing today and it felt fine so I'm buzzing about that. So pleased as I was getting bored with just pushups for 2 months. 

BU presses are excellent for rotator cuff health and one of my favourites.

Kettle Bell Bottoms up press

12kg X 3 L+R

16kg X 3 L+R

20kg X 3 L+R

24kg X 2, 4, 6 L

24kg X 5, 5 ,5 R

*24kg wide competition bell

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc 1 X 4, 6, 8, 12 L X 1 R

standard gold 92RGC 3 x 1 TNS closes

Standard gold 92RGC X 6, 3 R

Strict cable thumb pronation 

5kg X 25 L+R

15kg 2 x 25

10kg X 25, 20

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

So yesterday a local pharmacy were doing free health checks, I decided to get my cholesterol checked out of curiosity as I've not had it done in 15 years. 

The results were very good then and are still very good now. That's good to know, this was taken within an hour of eating 100 Grams of Edam cheese so obviously a non fasted test result. They said my levels could be higher than normal, especially My triglycerides but they tested absolutely excellent. 

I eat half a pound of medium or hard cheese per day and in a week eat Dozens of eggs, lots of beef, Dairy, Dark chocolate and just eat a lot of saturated fats in general. I always have done forever as an adult, yet these foods and saturated fats are always demonised by the mainstream Media and our NHS, they say to avoid these foods, don't eat saturated fats, eat lots of seed oils and eat margarine instead of real butter. No thanks.

It's all about balance though, I avoid processed foods, seed oils and polyunsaturated fats that you find in most processed foods, I eat tonnes of fruit, dark Rye bread and get lots of fiber. I limit alcohol and avoid sugar. 

IMG_20231108_174127.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

LOOKING GOOD 

I like your diet 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

LOOKING GOOD 

I like your diet 

Thanks man.

I like to eat natural food and try and be healthy so it's nice to see some figures blood wise. 

I just love Dairy and meat, especially cheese. I eat tonnes of it 🤣

• Like 1

I know what you mean milk & cheese are my favorite foods

• Like 1

BW 76kg

Med ball slam

Various to warm up

Rope grip BW rows

BW 2 x 8

Single arm Rope grip BW rows*

BW X 8, 11 L X 7, 6 R

*These are ridiculously tough, with how hard you have to grip and all the full body tension they made me feel nauseous.

Rope pushdowns

20kg X 8

30kg X 8

40kg X 8

30kg X 15

Cable riser curls over knuckles

10kg X 10

20kg X 15, 12

15kg X 12

Cable supination strict braced against a bench

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 25 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

15kg X 20 L+R

Thumb Adduction pinch

Stress ball 2x failure (+50 reps)

Coc S gripper X 75 R x 70 L*

*These burned! 

IM Extensor bands thumbless

Green X 20 L+R

Red x 50 L+R

Green 2x 50 L+R

IM Extensor band with thumb 

Green X 25 L+R

Hands still growing, my palms are nicely thicker and thumb pad up in size 

IMG_20231110_085921.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 5

BW 76kg.

Dips

BW 2 x 6

+10kg X 6

+20kg X 6

+30kg 2 x 6

Rope pullups

BW X 6

+10kg X 3

+20kg X 3

+30kg X 3

Grippers

Coc S X 10

Coc 1 X 3 L+R

CPW Std Gold 92rgc 5 x 5 R

CPW Std Gold 92rgc X 5, 5, 3, 4 L

Coc 1 X 5 L

Power setting

Coc 2.5 126 RGC 3 x 3 R

Coc 2 102RGC 3 x 3 L

Cable riser curl over knuckles 

10kg X 8 L+R

20kg X 6 L+R

30kg X 8 L+R

20kg X 13 L+R

Cable thumb Pronation, strict braced against bench

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 20 L+R

15kg X 20 L+R

10kg X 25 L+R

IM Extensor bands Thumbless

Green X 20 L+R

Red X failure,  70 ish L+R

Blue x failure 2 sets to 50 ish L+R

• Like 6

BW 75.8kg

Various warm up lifts

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc T X 3 L+R

Coc 1 X 1 L+R

STD gold 92RGC X 1 L+R

Coc 2 5 x 1 L X 1 R

Coc 2.5 126RGC 5 attempts R*

* I was still sore from 2 days ago so could have been fresher but I wanted to see where I'm at with the 2.5 and I'm closer than I was last time I tried so very pleased with that. 

Cable thumb Pronation strict against bench

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 20 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

10kg X 30 L+R

Cable thumb Pronation strict against bench

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 20 L+R

15kg X 30 L+R

IMG_20231115_123908.jpg

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work!

Thanks man, it's progress. I still need more time and patience and must keep at it with submaximal work on grippers before my next max attempt. Consistency band patience is key for me with grippers. 

12 minutes ago, alan_fra said:

Great Job Paul , 

That looks like 3 mm away from a Coc 2.5 close.  What has helped you the most in your progress ?

Thanks Alan.

I'd say not attempting any heavier grippers like this often and focusing on more volume with lighter grippers. 

I started training them again about 9 weeks ago but just light high reps stuff like the trainer upto a 1.5. I did that for about 6 weeks to build some work capacity and endurance.

Then about 3 weeks ago I stated heavier work but nothing heavier than a COC 2. I'm just working on quality sets and reps with a CPW standard gold which is like a lighter coc 2 and some sets with the Coc 2 for now. In the coming weeks I'll move up to my GHP 5 rated 113lb. 

• Like 1

That's interesting Paul. So light high reps can improve the tendon strength in the long run ! Yeah , I also have been doing quality sets with a Coc . I'm trying to build up to 10 reps but have only managed to accomplish 6 so far. GHP 5 sounds great for a slight upgrade above the Coc #2. When I need an upgrade from the Coc # 2 I use the Elite 5 which is an average of 119. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alan_fra said:

That's interesting Paul. So light high reps can improve the tendon strength in the long run ! Yeah , I also have been doing quality sets with a Coc . I'm trying to build up to 10 reps but have only managed to accomplish 6 so far. GHP 5 sounds great for a slight upgrade above the Coc #2. When I need an upgrade from the Coc # 2 I use the Elite 5 which is an average of 119. 

Building up the reps is a good idea. My best is 10 with a COC 2 but that was ages ago. I'm focusing on doing quality reps and really controlling them. 

GHPs are awesome, they make an equivalent COC feel easy. GHPs all have about a 3" 76mm spread. I've just bought digital calipers and measured the spread and all my 3 GHP are in-between 75-76mm. I've done 4 reps nearly 5 with my GHP 5 but that was over a year ago, I need to get back to that level and more. 

The GOG elite 5 I have 2, rated 116 and one rated 117 plus it's filed by 5mm. They are so narrow though I find they don't really carry over well to cocs. As my elite 5 is 60mm and the filed one is 65mm. Like i can bang out sets of 5 easily with my elites as they are so narrow depsite a higher RGC. 

My coc 2 and 2.5 are both about 70mm. Wider spreads are harder.

• Like 3

Yeah, 10 is a great rep amount with the Coc 2. I watched your video when you did it and the sets were mm size , meaning like 20 mm closes , mini reps. I do wide sets only with the Coc 2 so that means setting the gripper so it barely gets on with the pinky and going the whole way. I've managed 6 doing it that way.

Interesting that GHP's are easier for you than a COC equivalent. 76 mm is very wide. You know , my COC 2 , 2.5 and 3 are all in the 75 to 76 mm range so that makes them harder. I still have the feeling that my COC 2 is like 119 lbs. because it's so difficult to close relative to the GOG elite 5 which is easy to do 5 reps on without much effort. Yeah , the narrow handles sure make the elite series easy. I wish I had a COC 2 and 2.5 that was 70 mm. That is my next goal... to have them at that level because it's more of a struggle with the 75 mm versions that I have now. My 2.5 feels like a 130 RGC in part due to that 75 mm width. IT is a big long challenge.