Getting back into grip.

mcalpine1986

2 hours ago, alan_fra said:

Yeah, 10 is a great rep amount with the Coc 2. I watched your video when you did it and the sets were mm size , meaning like 20 mm closes , mini reps. I do wide sets only with the Coc 2 so that means setting the gripper so it barely gets on with the pinky and going the whole way. I've managed 6 doing it that way.

Interesting that GHP's are easier for you than a COC equivalent. 76 mm is very wide. You know , my COC 2 , 2.5 and 3 are all in the 75 to 76 mm range so that makes them harder. I still have the feeling that my COC 2 is like 119 lbs. because it's so difficult to close relative to the GOG elite 5 which is easy to do 5 reps on without much effort. Yeah , the narrow handles sure make the elite series easy. I wish I had a COC 2 and 2.5 that was 70 mm. That is my next goal... to have them at that level because it's more of a struggle with the 75 mm versions that I have now. My 2.5 feels like a 130 RGC in part due to that 75 mm width. IT is a big long challenge.  

Yes they were mms reps, I can TNS my 2 no problem so I don't always train MMS but it's the fastest way to gain strength I think. 

You 2.5 is very wide if it's 75mm, a COC 3 is normal though at that width. Did you use digital calipers or a tape measure? I found with a tape measure I was getting a measurement about 1-2mm bigger than the calipers. 

No GHPs are harder for sure, way harder. Than an equivalent COC. I have a GHP 6 rated 125 that is much tougher than my COC 2.5 rated 126lb..

There is no way your coc 2 is 119lb, like I said on IG your method of measuring is not accurate at all. The heaviest coc 2 every rated was 117lb and that's as rare as hens teeth.

Width doesn't always collerate to RGC strength as it all depends on the spring mount. There is plenty of info on the subject on here. You can have ones with stiffer springs that a narrower but higher RGC and vice versa. Wider always feels harder though. You may have a harder 2.5 but once you receive you 2.5 from kevin rated 127lb you will be able to compare a real rated by Cannon power works 2.5 compared to yours. 

2.5s have been as low as 110lb and as high as 140lb but the average is 126lbs.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

Great point that you found mms is the fastest way to gain strength.

Yeah , I have used a tape measure for the COC grippers so they might be slightly less wide than I thought. I would really like the digital caliper method if I had that instrument.

I know my method is not as accurate. I put 119 lbs on and the closest the COC 2 got was 2 mm to closing. Based on the statistics that is basically not possible if the highest ever rated is 117 rgc. 

I can't wait to get the 2.5 from kevin that is rated 127 lbs. Then I will actually be able to compare it to the COC 2 and COC 2.5. I will be able to tell the difference more then for sure. 

Yeah, It's a huge difference between COC 2.5 lowest RGC and highest RGC rating. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alan_fra said:

Great point that you found mms is the fastest way to gain strength.

Yeah , I have used a tape measure for the COC grippers so they might be slightly less wide than I thought. I would really like the digital caliper method if I had that instrument.

I know my method is not as accurate. I put 119 lbs on and the closest the COC 2 got was 2 mm to closing. Based on the statistics that is basically not possible if the highest ever rated is 117 rgc. 

I can't wait to get the 2.5 from kevin that is rated 127 lbs. Then I will actually be able to compare it to the COC 2 and COC 2.5. I will be able to tell the difference more then for sure. 

Yeah, It's a huge difference between COC 2.5 lowest RGC and highest RGC rating. 

You are from England like me yes?

Lidl were selling off the Digital Calipers for only £7.99.  Real Bargain, it's worth a look to see if any are left. 

Yes once you get the rated 2.5 you be able too gauge your others grippers much better, especially your 2.5. 

All grippers vary a lot but the Coc 2.5 seems to have vary one of the most when you look at the CPW Data sheet. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man, it's progress. I still need more time and patience and must keep at it with submaximal work on grippers before my next max attempt. Consistency band patience is key for me with grippers. 

So you’re attempting to get your first close on a COC #2.5 rated 126? Funny thing is, I’m in the exact same situation! haha I also have a 126 I haven’t quite closed yet. 

Great work, keep it up! :) How have things been going for you with your training? 

• Like 3

Paul,

I'm from Poland and live in here but was raised in the USA. The digital calipers from lidl might be a good price but I hav'nt seen them where I live yet. 

Yes, It's amazing that the 2.5 has such a huge RGC difference. The weakest at 110  could fit into the mid range COC 2.0  and the strongest 138  could fit into the weakest COC 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan_fra said:

Paul,

I'm from Poland and live in here but was raised in the USA. The digital calipers from lidl might be a good price but I hav'nt seen them where I live yet. 

Yes, It's amazing that the 2.5 has such a huge RGC difference. The weakest at 110  could fit into the mid range COC 2.0  and the strongest 138  could fit into the weakest COC 3

I see, I thought you were English for some reason. You written English is excellent.

Yes it's crazy how much they vary tbh. 

12 hours ago, IzzyGrasp said:

So you’re attempting to get your first close on a COC #2.5 rated 126? Funny thing is, I’m in the exact same situation! haha I also have a 126 I haven’t quite closed yet. 

Great work, keep it up! :) How have things been going for you with your training? 

Yes that's my goal, at least for the shorter term. I've been focusing on grippers for about 2 months, I could close my GHP rated 113 for a wide set rep then. I went back to the drawing board though and I decided to start just training light high rep work with the trainer moving upto a 1.5 then in the past few weeks have focussed on heavier work with my Std Gold rated 102 and my coc 2 rated 102. Volume there. 

That's cool you also are going for a 126lb 2.5 as well. I wish I had a lighter 2.5 around 120lb to see if I could close it. I think I'm around that area for a max ATM since I'm about 4mm away from my 126lb.

How is your training? I see you have started a workout log on here, I'll be following along. Your collection is awesome. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

Paul,

I'm an American Citizen. I grew up  in the USA and spent several years there as an adult before moving back.

Thanks. My English seems to always have been above par. I also went to a University and majored in English so my English is excellent. 

Yes, the COC 2.5 range is crazy. That's why getting rated grippers is critical. I even think my COC 2 is 115 lbs. or so because it took me 6 months before I could rep it several times.

• Like 1

*it turns out I've developed a strain of my Rib cartilage called Costochondtis which causes horrible random sharp pain in the sternum, thoracic back ache and abdominal discomfort so I'm going to have to take it real easy for a couple of weeks. Luckily I can do grippers and light arm stuff whilst it heals. 

BW 75.4kg

Various warm ups

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc S X 3 TNS L+R

Coc T X 2 TNS L+R

Coc 1  3 x 1 L TNS X 1 R

Stn Gold 92lb RGC 3x1 TNS R

Stn Gold x 8 R

Coc 1 X 8 L

Cable thumb Pronation strict braced against a bench

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 20 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

10kg X 50 L+R

Cable thumb supination strict braced against a bench

10kg X 30 L+R

20kg X 30 L+R

15kg X 30 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

Strict wrist riser, forearm testing on bench 

5kg 2x failure, at least 50 reps

IM Extensor bands 

Green 2x failures, at least 70 reps

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

*it turns out I've developed a strain of my Rib cartilage called Costochondtis which causes horrible random sharp pain in the sternum, thoracic back ache and abdominal discomfort so I'm going to have to take it real easy for a couple of weeks. Luckily I can do grippers and light arm stuff whilst it heals. 

BW 75.4kg

Various warm ups

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc S X 3 TNS L+R

Coc T X 2 TNS L+R

Coc 1  3 x 1 L TNS X 1 R

Stn Gold x 8 R

Coc 1 X 8 L

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 20 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

10kg X 50 L+R

10kg X 30 L+R

20kg X 30 L+R

15kg X 30 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

IM Extensor bands 

hope that heals up soon.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

BW 75.4kg

Various warm ups

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc S X 3 TNS L+R

Coc T X 2 TNS L+R

Coc 1  3 x 1 L TNS X 1 R

Stn Gold x 8 R

Coc 1 X 8 L

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 20 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

10kg X 50 L+R

10kg X 30 L+R

20kg X 30 L+R

15kg X 30 L+R

15kg X 25 L+R

IM Extensor bands 

Hopefully it heals soon.

Focusing on grippers meanwhile sounds like a fun idea to stay active

• Like 3

PAIN is no fun . a couple weeks off will do your body good , for your body and mind

two weeks of grip , sounds good to me

I hope you feel better soon 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, matek said:

Hopefully it heals soon.

Focusing on grippers meanwhile sounds like a fun idea to stay active

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

PAIN is no fun . a couple weeks off will do your body good , for your body and mind

two weeks of grip , sounds good to me

I hope you feel better soon 

Appreciate it guys, I've possibly done on weighted dips but can be certain. At least I can do something as I hate not training, it drives me mad lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

hope that heals up soon.. 

Thanks man, it's annoying but hopefully will clear up fast. I'm glad I can still do grippers and light arm work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man, it's annoying but hopefully will clear up fast. I'm glad I can still do grippers and light arm work.

Yup there is always something to improve on...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Yes that's my goal, at least for the shorter term. I've been focusing on grippers for about 2 months, I could close my GHP rated 113 for a wide set rep then. I went back to the drawing board though and I decided to start just training light high rep work with the trainer moving upto a 1.5 then in the past few weeks have focussed on heavier work with my Std Gold rated 102 and my coc 2 rated 102. Volume there. 

That's cool you also are going for a 126lb 2.5 as well. I wish I had a lighter 2.5 around 120lb to see if I could close it. I think I'm around that area for a max ATM since I'm about 4mm away from my 126lb.

How is your training? I see you have started a workout log on here, I'll be following along. Your collection is awesome. 

The 120 RGC range has been tough to get my hands on as well! I have a gap from 117-123 in my collection. I’m not entirely sure when I’ll close my 126, but hopefully soon! I have two workout days per week but sometimes I’ll get impatient and mess around with a gripper on an off day, which is probably a poor idea since my best shot would be after resting fully. lol

It’s been going well, but my routine has changed quite a lot very recently and it will take some time to see all the benefits of my changes! I have gotten a much larger variety of gripper resistances as well as finally getting them all rated which should be very beneficial! I appreciate it, thanks! 

• Like 3

you will get there.

hard work always pays off, just stick with it

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 4:58 PM, IzzyGrasp said:

The 120 RGC range has been tough to get my hands on as well! I have a gap from 117-123 in my collection. I’m not entirely sure when I’ll close my 126, but hopefully soon! I have two workout days per week but sometimes I’ll get impatient and mess around with a gripper on an off day, which is probably a poor idea since my best shot would be after resting fully. lol

It’s been going well, but my routine has changed quite a lot very recently and it will take some time to see all the benefits of my changes! I have gotten a much larger variety of gripper resistances as well as finally getting them all rated which should be very beneficial! I appreciate it, thanks! 

CPW standard platinum come in that range, I have 2 at 119lbs. They are wide compared to cocs though. My new platinum is over 76mm/3" spread. I don't know about you but I struggle more with setting grippers very wide.

Twice per week is a good sweet spot for most,  I'm going down to twice per week now I'm onto heavier grippers. I've just managed to luckily bag a GHP 5 rated 107lb which is exactly the rating I've been after to go up 5lb from my Coc 2 at 102lbs. I also have another GHP 5 already at 113lb so that's a great in between gripper and training on GHPs makes coc's feel easy. GHP's feels about 5-10lb heavier than Their rated RGC. 

Good luck with the 126lbs man, hopefully we can both close ours soon.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 9:33 PM, John Knowlton said:

you will get there.

hard work always pays off, just stick with it

Thanks man, Im determined. I'm not going to let any injuries stop me, luckily my main goal is grippers ATM so I'm thankful I can train them.

On 11/17/2023 at 4:29 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup there is always something to improve on...

Oh yeah man, I always train around any injuries. There is always something you can do, Training keeps me sane 🤣

2 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man, Im determined. I'm not going to let any injuries stop me, luckily my main goal is grippers ATM so I'm thankful I can train them.

Oh yeah man, I always train around any injuries. There is always something you can do, Training keeps me sane 🤣

Sane and out of trouble!

• Haha 1

Pushdowns 

10kg 2x 10

20kg X 8

30kg X 8

40kg X 8

45kg X 8

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc T X 3 L+R

Coc 1 X 2 L+R

STD gold 92 RGC X 1 L+R

Coc 2 102 RGC X 3 , 4, 5 R

STD gold 92 RGC X 3, 4, 5, 6 L X 8 R

Cable riser curls over knuckles

10kg X 8 L+R

20kg X 8 L+R

30kg X 8 L+R

25kg X 12 L+R

Cable thumb Pronation, strict against bench 

10kg X 25 L+R

20kg X 20 L+R

15kg X 40 L+R

15/10kg drop set X 32 / 12 L+R

IM Extensor bands thumbless

Green X 20 L+R

Red X failure

Blue x failure

Green X failure 

• Like 4

BW 75.8kg

20" Box step ups

BW 2 x 20

Light Seated cable rows

40kg X 8

60kg X 8

Grippers

Coc S X 10 L+R

Coc 1 X 2 L+R

STD gold X 1 L+R 92lbs

Coc 2 x 1 L+R 102lbs 

STD Platinum X 0, 0, 0 R 119lbs

Coc 2 x 4*, 3, 3 L a rep P.R left, I almost had 5 reps. Woohoo

Camry Hand Dynamometer(first time in about 18 months)

5 attempts each side, on left I hit a new P.R of 71kg/156.5 lbs which I'm very pleased about. Previously my best left was about 67kg. 

Right hand was terrible today though, I felt weak on grippers and was only getting a terrible 45-55kg score which is very low for me, I'm normally high 60s and I've hit 70kg right before so I'm ethier not recovered enough, burnt out on the platinum attempts or my right rotator cuff which is way better but still not 100% yet is holding back from me activating full power. 

71kg may not be good to some of the beasts on here but it's good for me and my light bodyweight, that does play a factor. I hope to hit 80kg in the near future and one day max this thing out at 90kg with the error code. 

IMG_20231123_100152_278.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 7