Getting back into grip.

mcalpine1986

Here is some of the grip stuff I've been doing in the past couple months.

28kg circus press

40kg bottoms up clean

+90lbs weighed towel grip Chinup

Feet elevated ring grip pushups(very difficult)

One arm towel grip dead hang X 35 secs

375lbs - 2" thick bar hold X 32 seconds 

7.5kg macebell finger walks

Ome arm inverted ring row(very grip heavy)

All This has built a nice base for grippers.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

28kg circus press

40kg bottoms up clean

All great stuff, really strong pulling!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

28kg circus press

40kg bottoms up clean

Lookin great man. Nice work all around.

• Like 2

Welcome back Paul! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, matek said:

I would either break my arm or give myself a concussion try some of these things.  Nothing short of amazing.

• Like 1

Supper cool videos , very impressive 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, matek said:

20 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Lookin great man. Nice work all around.

19 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Welcome back Paul! 

7 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I would either break my arm or give myself a concussion try some of these things.  Nothing short of amazing.

6 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Supper cool videos , very impressive 

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words and welcome back. I've never stopped training grip but I've been big into it lately so thought I better get my arse back on here. 

My hand are feeling the strongest they have been so hopefully that will continue as training is going well.

• Like 4

I've just bought a pair of 1.5" thick Manilla ropes to train weighted rope pullups and other grip lifts with. They are natural hemp so not harsh on the hands with a soft eye end so I can easily loop them over any bar quickly without having to tie knots. They have heat shrunk ends so the rope ends won't fray. I can't wait to try these out. 

IMG_20230831_164116.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice pice of equipment 

Thanks man, I've always loved grip heavy pull-ups variations like thick bar, towel grip or rope grip. They are tough but underrated for building grip strength I think. 

These were just under £40 delivered so to me a bargain as the rope is very good quality.

I'm going to be testing these out soon in my workout. I might just stick with bodyweight only today though as my forearms and hands muscle are still sore off the other day. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

BW 75.5kg

Rope grip pullups - 1.5" thick 

*Weights not including belt which is just over a kilo but I count it as 1 kilo.

BW 2 x 3

+10kg X 3

+15kg X 2

+20kg X 1

+25kg X 1

+30kg X 1

+35kg X 1

+40kg X 1

+20kg X 6

BW X 15

These ropes are very tough on the grip, tougher than using towels that for sure. They felt awesome though. 

• Like 4

Way cool .

supper strong grip.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool .

supper strong grip.

Thanks man, 90lbs was all I could manage yesterday. I had been pretty sore still from my previous workout and I haven't added weight on pullups in 2 months, I think fresher I could pull 100lbs.

These ropes felt awesome, today my whole back, rear delts, biceps, brachioradialis, my whole forearms and hand muscles especially the thumb pad are very sore. In a good way. 

I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck with thes rope pullups. 

They will be Great for looping though a Kettlebell for hammer curls as well which will really hit the forearms, wrists and whole grip. 

I'm a minimalist when it comes to training and like too focus on a few core moves at a time so it's good when you find a lift that hits so many aspects of grip and arm strength.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

These ropes felt awesome, today my whole back, rear delts, biceps, brachioradialis, my whole forearms and hand muscles especially the thumb pad are very sore. In a good way. 

I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck with thes rope pullups.

I have a short 2" rope I used to throw over my pull-up bar maybe a year or so ago.  Reading your posts and thinking I need to dig it out and start using it again.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2023 at 1:37 PM, Douglas Carney said:

I have a short 2" rope I used to throw over my pull-up bar maybe a year or so ago.  Reading your posts and thinking I need to dig it out and start using it again.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

That's awesome man, 2" will be even tougher. I'm sure they will help all your other grip work. Mine are 1.5" which I picked because that is 38mm which is to get same with as 2 COC handles as they are 19mm wide so I think it will have the best carryover to grippers.

Any kind of ropes are excellent for grips and arm work, it might be very old school but it works.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Thanks 1

BW 75kg

Feet elevated pushups

BW 4x 10

Grippers* all set to roughly parallel

COC T X 3 L+R

COC 1.5 X 1, 1 L+R

COC 2 x 1 L+R

COC 2.5 RGC 126lbs R

3, attempts down to about 4mm, the best I've ever done.

https://youtube.com/shorts/yMFOskmsK_4?si=bE2ntUf3Uq7Z2Cnb 

COC 2 

3 attempts down to 1mm L

Straps hold with a kilo weighted added

COC 2 x 8 secs R

COC 1.5 X 10 sec L

https://youtube.com/shorts/L8U8m3KlUk8?si=BZxjoUh4bM87m6Fj

Rope pullups

BW X 5

+10kg X 5

+15kg X 5

+20kg X 5

+10kg X 8

Pics of my 3 attempts on the Coc 2.5, I'm only 2 weeks back on grippers after a year's break so this is a good sign.

IMG_20230904_094956_660.jpg

IMG_20230904_094956_770.jpg

IMG_20230904_094956_829.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

That's awesome man, 2" will be even tougher. I'm sure they will help all your other grip work. Mine are 1.5" which I picked because that is 38mm which is to get same with as 2 COC handles as they are 19mm wide so I think it will have the best carryover to grippers.

Any kind of ropes are excellent for grips and arm work, it might be very old school but it works.

I had to go back to September 2021 to find the last time I did the single 2" rope fairly regularly (along with 3" grenade balls and 5" cannonball grips).

I also bought a pair of 1.5" ropes at some point so I could do more of a shoulder-width/neutral grip but work/life happened and I fell off the pullup (and deadlift) wagon for nearly two straight years.  Need to get back into it.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I had to go back to September 2021 to find the last time I did the single 2" rope fairly regularly (along with 3" grenade balls and 5" cannonball grips).

I also bought a pair of 1.5" ropes at some point so I could do more of a shoulder-width/neutral grip but work/life happened and I fell off the pullup (and deadlift) wagon for nearly two straight years.  Need to get back into it.

Things often get in the way and we end up not trained certain moves. Great to hear you are going to get back into it, I've alway valued towel and rope grip pullups and other work. 

Rope are great for hammer curls as well, ethier through a plate or looped around a Kettlebell handle. It makes them very wrist heavy and also trains crush as you have to squeeze or it will drop. 

• Thanks 1

BW 75.1kg

Rope plank walking*

* In a plank position walk your hands up and down the rope, a very brutal exercise that is very arm and core heavy.

4 sets of 1 up/down

Bodyweight tricep extension using a rope grip *much tougher than using a bar to lean on

BW X 3, 3, 5, 5

Arms outstretched plank rope grip* very difficult 

BW 4 sets of 8-12 seconds 

A solid session, my abs feel like I've done 1000 situps. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Killer

Thanks man, this was a very tough workout. These all involved a lot of grip using the ropes. I'm quite a minimalist when it comes to training and like to incorporate grip work into my other training.

9 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

BW 75.1kg

Rope plank walking*

* In a plank position walk your hands up and down the rope, a very brutal exercise that is very arm and core heavy.

4 sets of 1 up/down

Trying to picture exactly what "rope plank walking" looks like...

I bought a 6' x 1.5" climbing rope back in May 2021 and used it a few times to pull myself up from laying down to standing up--hand over hand--while trying (not 100% successfully) to keep my body straight.  Is that similar?

6' climbing rope.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Things often get in the way and we end up not trained certain moves. Great to hear you are going to get back into it, I've alway valued towel and rope grip pullups and other work. 

Rope are great for hammer curls as well, ethier through a plate or looped around a Kettlebell handle. It makes them very wrist heavy and also trains crush as you have to squeeze or it will drop. 

I may need to mix in ropes for hammer curls.  I mainly do them with a tricep bar and 3" grips from Iron Bull Strength.  But the flexibility of the rope may add different dynamic compared to the bar.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Trying to picture exactly what "rope plank walking" looks like...

I bought a 6' x 1.5" climbing rope back in May 2021 and used it a few times to pull myself up from laying down to standing up--hand over hand--while trying (not 100% successfully) to keep my body straight.  Is that similar?

6' climbing rope.png

That's looks a great exercise but not what I was doing.

It's hard to describe, so like in a plank position, arms straighter at the top of the rope, walk your hands down the rope to the bottom so you end up in a position like the pic below, then back up to the top. It's brutal. My abs in particular are very sore today.

9 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I may need to mix in ropes for hammer curls.  I mainly do them with a tricep bar and 3" grips from Iron Bull Strength.  But the flexibility of the rope may add different dynamic compared to the bar.

Give them a try, they do have a different feel, I used to use towel through a Kettlebell but ropes feel better and more wrist heavy.

IMG_20230905_084747.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

That's looks a great exercise but not what I was doing.

It's hard to describe, so like in a plank position, arms straighter at the top of the rope, walk your hands down the rope to the bottom so you end up in a position like the pic below, then back up to the top. It's brutal. My abs in particular are very sore today.

Give them a try, they do have a different feel, I used to use towel through a Kettlebell but ropes feel better and more wrist heavy.

WOW!  That does sound brutal!

Realizing now I was barely scratching the surface of rope variations.

• Like 1