Getting back into grip.

mcalpine1986

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Good luck... Deep down, everyone who trains.. their goal is gain muscle and loose fat. I'm sure your wrist will get better. I stretch them every morning on my hands and knees in various positions...  It does help.

Thanks man. Ive done phases of  bodybuilding before and enjoy it until i get bored and change to something else. I just love training full stop whatever iam doing. My genetics are more suited for bodybuilding, i have tiny joints but a big ribcage and wide clavicles. Yes that is true, every man wants more muscle and less fat, i eat pretty strict anyway bit im cutting the booze back to once per week now lol. Before covid i was very lean and i do want to get back nearer what i was then while im still in my 30s, the older you get the harder it is.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man. Ive done phases of  bodybuilding before and enjoy it until i get bored and change to something else. I just love training full stop whatever iam doing. My genetics are more suited for bodybuilding, i have tiny joints but a big ribcage and wide clavicles. Yes that is true, every man wants more muscle and less fat, i eat pretty strict anyway bit im cutting the booze back to once per week now lol. Before covid i was very lean and i do want to get back nearer what i was then while im still in my 30s, the older you get the harder it is.

you'll feel better cutting back on booze... Best thing i've ever done... I wont lie, I love beer, but the whole getting older thing makes you prioritize things.  I respect BBers, its just not for me. I love food too much, but I do stay pretty lean, just a little gut that i'm ok with.

I might have a date this weekend though so i'm eating light this week, I gotta not be bloated!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Just a little update. 

Ive just had a week off on holiday and now im back to training ill no longer be recording my workouts on here. I have started a bodybuilding training phase for a change of pace and get back in shape. I feel its not the place for it being the gripboard. 

Since ive been back at a gym ive done less and less grip and gravitated towards more regular training and although i always will still train my grip itll be on a small scale and not worth recording.

I just love all kinds of training and have always went through different trainibg focuses over the years. Ive done a solid 2.5 year of grip and have enjoyed every minute of it and no dount i will get seriously back into one day but im enjoying the more well rounded training atm and ill stick with this for the time being.

Sounds good man!

I also had many type of training phases. The point is that the grind never stops. Good luck with your goals,  I'm sure you will get them!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, matek said:

Sounds good man!

I also had many type of training phases. The point is that the grind never stops. Good luck with your goals,  I'm sure you will get them!

yup, keep pushing till your pushing up daisy's... That's what I say.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

you'll feel better cutting back on booze... Best thing i've ever done... I wont lie, I love beer, but the whole getting older thing makes you prioritize things.  I respect BBers, its just not for me. I love food too much, but I do stay pretty lean, just a little gut that i'm ok with.

I might have a date this weekend though so i'm eating light this week, I gotta not be bloated!

Im sure i will but Its not like i was getting drunk or anything. Id have 3-4 beers or a bottle of red wine 1-2 nights per week during the week. I dont get hangovers and it didnt stop me getting up for training at 5am or anything but its not good for getting lean. Its a habit i started in the first lockdowns tbh.

Good luck on the date 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Im sure i will but Its not like i was getting drunk or anything. Id have 3-4 beers or a bottle of red wine 1-2 nights per week during the week. I dont get hangovers and it didnt stop me getting up for training at 5am or anything but its not good for getting lean. Its a habit i started in the first lockdowns tbh.

Good luck on the date 👍

Thanks.  Not looking to rush into anything but I hope it goes good, I’m getting older and if im gonna have little gripsters  of my own, I need to get the “balls” rolling so to speak. 😂

whiskeys always a good option if your trying to stay lean.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, matek said:

Sounds good man!

Thanks, yes over the years i have training in allsorts of training, Obviously grip but also Bodybuilding, powerlifting, sandbag lifting, kettlebells, bodyweight training, medicine ball training, resistance bands, crossfit type training.

You name it ive probably done it lol. I just love it all. To me training is a basic need i have to do, like therapy. Its as much mental as physical of for me and its got me through a lot of bad stuff. 

Yes it never stops, ive been going 23 years now and i will never stop until i physically cant when hopefully im a VERY old man haha .

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks.  Not looking to rush into anything but I hope it goes good, I’m getting older and if im gonna have little gripsters  of my own, I need to get the “balls” rolling so to speak. 😂

whiskeys always a good option if your trying to stay lean.

Haha yes get going and Im sure things will all fall into place if its meant to be 👍

I hate whisky tbh but into rum. Red wine is a drink i enjoy so ill probably stick to that on a saturday night. I track cals and macros so i just add the drink in and eat less on that day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks, yes over the years i have training in allsorts of training, Obviously grip but also Bodybuilding, powerlifting, sandbag lifting, kettlebells, bodyweight training, medicine ball training, resistance bands, crossfit type training.

You name it ive probably done it lol. I just love it all. To me training is a basic need i have to do, like therapy. Its as much mental and physical of for me and its got me through a lot of bad stuff. 

Yes it never stops, ive been going 23 years now and i will never stop until i physically cant when hopefully im a VERY old man haha .

I'm not doing it for that long (although about 15-16 years with a few years of pause), but what I can say we are very similar. I did gymnastics, long distance running, calisthenics focused training, swimming, bouldering, fitness and bodybuilding, powerlifting, general strength training, and I also always loved to work with resistance bands. And now my new thing is grip, although still very new. 

Definitely a therapy for me as well. That's why it's so easy to overdo it. 

• Like 2

Either of you guys ever get into stone lifting? I’ve always wanted to try it and yesterday at work I dug up a stone. Probably 150-200lbs. I picked it up, but it was a little challenge. It’s going home with me though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, matek said:

I'm not doing it for that long (although about 15-16 years with a few years of pause), but what I can say we are very similar. I did gymnastics, long distance running, calisthenics focused training, swimming, bouldering, fitness and bodybuilding, powerlifting, general strength training, and I also always loved to work with resistance bands. And now my new thing is grip, although still very new. 

Definitely a therapy for me as well. That's why it's so easy to overdo it. 

I was also into bouldering but just indoors. Yes its easy to overdo it but as long as recovery is managed its all good. I still use resistance bands and will always use them. This morning i used them for a barbell wrist roller. My forearms were pumped up crazy after only 3 sets. I find it better than normal wrist rollers.

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Either of you guys ever get into stone lifting? I’ve always wanted to try it and yesterday at work I dug up a stone. Probably 150-200lbs. I picked it up, but it was a little challenge. It’s going home with me though.

Not natural stones but ive done a bit of strongman before and lifted some atlas stones but just the odd time here and there.

That sounds good though and there is something primal and manly about lifting stones. Getting out into nature and lifting stuff is good for testosterone levels as Studies have shown. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

No, but only because I never had the chance to get into it. Maybe next time I go to the mountains I'll try to pick up one😄

Good job picking up that stone!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, matek said:

No, but only because I never had the chance to get into it. Maybe next time I go to the mountains I'll try to pick up one😄

Good job picking up that stone!

Thanks. Not sure what it weighed but I have 160 and 180lbs sandbags and this felt similar. I need to find a way to weigh it.

• Like 2

I'll miss your presence on the board bro. But I understand sometimes we need a change to help reignite the spark. Looks like you're accomplishing a great deal doing powerbuilding style training 💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 5:27 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

I'll miss your presence on the board bro. But I understand sometimes we need a change to help reignite the spark. Looks like you're accomplishing a great deal doing powerbuilding style training 💪

Appreciate it 👍 im still doing a bit of grip but mainly bodybuilding style training to gain some size and get back in better shape. Ill still be checking in on here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update on my bodybuilding phase.

Im now weighing 79kg/174lbs, on a very slow cut so i can gain muscle and still lose fat. Im still doing a little bit of grip. A bit of pinch, wrist curls, wrist rollers and lots of back work including thick bar pullups. 

I hope everyones training is going well and is hitting their grip goals.

Here is a rear lat spread just for fun.

20220627_084747.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, mikhael said:

Wide Back you have.

Thank you. For the past 6 weeks or so ive been training purely for hypertrophy so it has grown nicely even though im cutting weight. Im blessed with wide clavicles and a small hip stucture though. Im still leaning down and when im down to 75kg/165lbs i should have lost another couple of inches off my waist so it should be looking freaky in a lat spread. Thats the plan anyway lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thank you. For the past 6 weeks or so ive been training purely for hypertrophy so it has grown nicely even though im cutting weight. Im blessed with wide clavicles and a small hip stucture though. Im still leaning down and when im down to 75kg/165lbs i should have lost another couple of inches off my waist so it should be looking freaky in a lat spread. Thats the plan anyway lol.

Keep up the good work man!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Keep up the good work man!

Appreciate it man. Im enjoying the process. Ive still a long way to go but its a marathon not a sprint. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update. 

I'm 12 weeks into my cut doing mainly bodybuilding training but a little bit of grip here and there. lots of wrist curls for the forearms and lots of grip heavy back work. 

I've lost a stone in weight(we measure bodyweight in stones here in the UK) That's 14lbs. I've went from 182lbs/82.6kg down to 168lbs/76.2kg and ive lost 4"/ 10cm from my waist. 

Come the autumn(fall) I'll be doing more strength work and more grip so I will start posting my workouts again.

I hope everyone's training is going well.

IMG_20220723_112126_146.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

Looking good man! 10 cm is a lot, I bet it feels really good!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, matek said:

Looking good man! 10 cm is a lot, I bet it feels really good!

Thanks man. Yes I feel so much better. I had really let myself get in pretty bad shape before i rejoined the gym. Too much booze and junk food with all the covid lockdowns and lack of activity. Once I settled back into the gym and training properly again i got my head in gear and decided to get back in good lean shape and stay that way. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3