Getting back into grip.

mcalpine1986

7 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

*right tendons still sore

Incline Dumbbell press(first time in 2 years)

*Weight each side

10kg  x 6

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

30kg x 6

35kg x 6

32.5kg x 6

Grippers (right only)

Coc T x 3

Coc 1 x 2

Cox 1.5 x 1

Coc 2 x 1

Coc 2.5 down to 4mm

GoG 5 x 2, 1, 1

Plate curls

5kg x 5

5kg full size bumper x 5

10kg full size rogue bumper x 3, 3

Im extensor bands thumbless

Red x 40, 40, 40

Nice workout man! Do you notice  that plate curls increase your gripperwork?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Sam is one of the worlds strongest men no doubt and he would be top 5 id say in grip. No many men can equal brian shaw on all things grip.

His hands are crazy thick and also 8.5" long what is huge for 5ft 8ish.

Chad woodall was amazing. Sam is right up there. 

😮 8.5" hands@ 5'8 lol those are crazy stats. Not everyday you hear something like that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

😮 8.5" hands@ 5'8 lol those are crazy stats. Not everyday you hear something like that. 

Yeah its mad. He weighs 300lbs as well. You should see how thick his hands are though, just crazy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Nice workout man! Do you notice  that plate curls increase your gripperwork?

Thank you. Yeah i find they really do as plate curls really increase finger strength and thumb strength in a very similar position to the final close of a gripper. Plus the really hit the wrists. Strong wrists are vital for transfering power to your hands from you forearms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bw 83kg. * time to get leaner 💪

*quads still damn sore.

Squats

60kg x 3

75kg x 3

90kg x 3

100kg x 6* just stopped at 6 to keep soreness down as im essing back into them. RPE 5

Seated cable rows(1st time in 2 years)

40kg x 6

50kg x 6

60kg x 6

75kg x 6

90kg x 6

100kg x 8* entire stack

Overhead rope Tri extentions

20kg x 8

30kg x 8

35kg x 8

40kg x 8

Alternate hammer curls

*weight each side

10kgs x 20

15kg x 16

20kg x 8

25kg x 10

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Bw 83kg. * time to get leaner 💪

*quads still damn sore.

Squats

60kg x 3

75kg x 3

90kg x 3

100kg x 6* just stopped at 6 to keep soreness down as im essing back into them. RPE 5

Seated cable rows(1st time in 2 years)

40kg x 6

50kg x 6

60kg x 6

75kg x 6

90kg x 6

100kg x 8* entire stack

Overhead rope Tri extentions

20kg x 8

30kg x 8

35kg x 8

40kg x 8

Alternate hammer curls

*weight each side

10kgs x 20

15kg x 16

20kg x 8

25kg x 10

Strong ass rows dude!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Strong ass rows dude!

Thanks man. Ive always been strong on back stuff. Ive done rows on a barbell 100kg for 10 before. Its been 2 years since ive done any of these though. Its a shame the stack only goes upto 100kg lol. I need to get back to weighted pullups as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks man. Ive always been strong on back stuff. Ive done rows on a barbell 100kg for 10 before. Its been 2 years since ive done any of these though. Its a shame the stack only goes upto 100kg lol. I need to get back to weighted pullups as well. 

Strict barbells rows with 100kg for 10 is very strong!

The fact that you are still able to row this kind of weight after such a long layoff is super impressive.

Weighted pull ups are awesome I could only do assisted ones haha.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, DevilErik said:

Strict barbells rows with 100kg for 10 is very strong!

The fact that you are still able to row this kind of weight after such a long layoff is super impressive.

Weighted pull ups are awesome I could only do assisted ones haha.

Thanks. Whem i first started training as a teenager i focused on legs and back and they became strong points. Most others teens were just chest and arm "Bros", Not me lol.

Ive found since i got into grip my upper back is thicker from all the unilateral thick bar lifts so back wise its been getting trained juat not in a normal way and very little lat work but before covid i spent 20 years of heavy rows, weighted pullups with upto an extra 50kg, heavy power cleans upto 100kg nd lots of deadlifts. You dont lose that kind of strength base fast. 

In this next year i plan to become the strongest ive been accross all lifts. Muscle memory will make me gain muscle back fast and the strength will come with it.

As for weighted pullups. Dont do assisted but do slow negatives instead. Much better for strength gain.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks. Whem i first started training as a teenager i focused on legs and back and they became strong points Most others teens were just chest and arm "Bros", Not me lol.

Ive found since i got into grip my upper back is thicker from all the unilateral thick bar lifts so back wise its been getting trained juat not in a normal way and very little lat work but before covid i spent 20 years of hwwvy rows, weighted pullups with upto an extra 50kg, heavy power cleans upto 100kg nd lots of deadlifts. You dont lose that kind of strength base fast. 

In this next year i plan to become the strongest ive been accross all lifts. Muscle memory will make me gain muscle back fast and the strength will come with it.

As for weighted pullups. Dont do assisted but do slow negatives instead. Much better for strength gain.

Same here sadly I have never been able to train my hamstrings properly due to major back issues.

I love training legs lol I don't understand these gym bros.

That's awesome man.

That also means that I might be able to rebuild my back once I get my loading pin and plates because deadlifts train the entire body.

Awesome man I admire your dedication!

Heavy rows, pull ups,power cleans and deadlifts are all great exercises.

Muscle memory is great.

Thanks for the tip.

Hopefully I can start training again one day but for now it's just grip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Same here sadly I have never been able to train my hamstrings properly due to major back issues.

I love training legs lol I don't understand these gym bros.

That's awesome man.

That also means that I might be able to rebuild my back once I get my loading pin and plates because deadlifts train the entire body.

Awesome man I admire your dedication!

Heavy rows, pull ups,power cleans and deadlifts are all great exercises.

Muscle memory is great.

Thanks for the tip.

Hopefully I can start training again one day but for now it's just grip.

Thanks. Ive always been super motivated to train and its more mental than physical. A month before my 14th birthday at the start of high school my father died in a truly awful way and to cope with it i just trained. Every day id just train away my toubled mind and it helped me cope with it. To me training is a basic need just like eating or drinking. 

Ive always been into the big compound lifts. Much more result producing. Try and work around your back. What kind of problem is it, disc related? 

17 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks. Ive always been super motivated to train and its more mental than physical. A month before my 14th birthday at the start of high school my father died in a truly awful way and to cope with it i just trained. Every day id just train away my toubled mind and it helped me cope with it. To me training is a basic need just like eating or drinking. 

Ive always been into the big compound lifts. Much more result producing. Try and work around your back. What kind of problem is it, disc related? 

I don't really know what to say man I am so sorry to hear that.

I am glad that training helped you cope with it.

I have been through a lot myself so I understand  what training can do for you mentally.

It's the same to me I was just forced to quit which hit me pretty hard but if I have to choose between an abscess every 3 weeks and training or a lot less abscesses and no training I pick the latter.

I agree man I also love the compound lifts I used to do as little fluff and pump as possible.

I can't work around my back.

I have a whiplash I am pain free but my neck and back are pretty much destroyed.

I get major dizzyness from training my back and things like hyperextensions make my entire lower body go numb.

I have neglected my hamstrings for years because good mornings and deadlifts make me super dizzy and are pretty painful.

I have tried building my hamstrings with banded good mornings but they pretty much gave me permanent back pain I was in pain every single day because I was training my hamstrings and lower back.

Once I quit training all of my pain went away.

I also can't handle any axial loading.

I am pain free but my body is weak and there is no way to fix that.

I could have been dead, wheelchair bound or a vegetable so I am grateful that I am still alive.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I don't really know what to say man I am so sorry to hear that.

I am glad that training helped you cope with it.

I have been through a lot myself so I understand  what training can do for you mentally.

It's the same to me I was just forced to quit which hit me pretty hard but if I have to choose between an abscess every 3 weeks and training or a lot less abscesses and no training I pick the latter.

I agree man I also love the compound lifts I used to do as little fluff and pump as possible.

I can't work around my back.

I have a whiplash I am pain free but my neck and back are pretty much destroyed.

I get major dizzyness from training my back and things like hyperextensions make my entire lower body go numb.

I have neglected my hamstrings for years because good mornings and deadlifts make me super dizzy and are pretty painful.

I have tried building my hamstrings with banded good mornings but they pretty much gave me permanent back pain I was in pain every single day because I was training my hamstrings and lower back.

Once I quit training all of my pain went away.

I also can't handle any axial loading.

I am pain free but my body is weak and there is no way to fix that.

I could have been dead, wheelchair bound or a vegetable so I am grateful that I am still alive.

Unfortunately that was the first of lots of close deaths and bad shit but ill not get into that. The way i look at it is, there is always people worse off than you. Training is like.therapy i think. Ill train in some way until i kick the bucket lol.

Man that is rough but at least you are alive, i was nearly ran over in a motorbike accident so i know where you are coming from. Could of been worse right? 

At least you can train grip. Have you tried static isometric exercises or even using EMS machines? 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Unfortunately that was the first of lots of close deaths and bad shit but ill not get into that. The way i look at it is, there is always people worse off than you. Training is like.therapy i think. Ill train in some way until i kick the bucket lol.

Man that is rough but at least you are alive, i was nearly ran over in a motorbike accident so i know where you are coming from. Could of been worse right? 

At least you can train grip. Have you tried static isometric exercises or even using EMS machines? 

I agree man there's always people worse off than you you have to make the best of it.

Training is great therapy.

same here man I am going to train grip until I am dead.

Yeah it could have been worse.

no I haven't but isometrics are terrbile for hypertrophy and are usually very joint angle specific as well so I don't think they are useful.

I have never tried isometrics for pure strength though but I am sceptical.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I agree man there's always people worse off than you you have to make the best of it.

Training is great therapy.

same here man I am going to train grip until I am dead.

Yeah it could have been worse.

no I haven't but isometrics are terrbile for hypertrophy and are usually very joint angle specific as well so I don't think they are useful.

I have never tried isometrics for pure strength though but I am sceptical.

Isometrics are not great for size no but strength absolutely. They have been used for decades. 

Back in the 1960s the old american Olympic weightlifters used to use them. A guy called Bill march used them and did very well. Ive used them in the past. 

I wonder if you could do weighted hangs from a bar for support grip, foreams and Lats?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Isometrics are not great for size no but strength absolutely. They have been used for decades. 

Back in the 1960s the old american Olympic weightlifters used to use them. A guy called Bill march used them and did very well. Ive used them in the past. 

I wonder if you could do weighted hangs from a bar for support grip, foreams and Lats?  

That;s awesome.

yeah I can do those they are also great for shoulder health.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

That;s awesome.

yeah I can do those they are also great for shoulder health.

Awesome. They really are a good move and an underrated one at that.

You could also do hanstands and work to handstand pushups, no back stress at all yet build upper back. 

Another good one is a dip hold. Do imagine the top of a parallel dip. Hold that between 2 chairs or bars. Hits the chest, lats triceps and abs very well. You can also progress to doing L sits. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Awesome. They really are a good move and an underrated one at that.

You could also do hanstands and work to handstand pushups, no back stress at all yet build upper back. 

Another good one is a dip hold. Do imagine the top of a parallel dip. Hold that between 2 chairs or bars. Hits the chest, lats triceps and abs very well. You can also progress to doing L sits. 

Thanks for the tips man I really appreciate it!

An L sit at my weight would be pretty impressive lol.

We'll see I shouldn't exert myself too much because that tends to flare up my acne so I will have to see what I can and can't do.

Singles don't seem to flare up my acne whatsoever.

Triples do however so it is pretty complicated.

I haven't tried isometrics though so I should give them a try.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Bw 82kg* lost 1 kg last week 👍

Squat

60kg x 5

75kg x 3

90kg x 2

100kg x 1

110kg x 1

115kg x 1

120kg x 1

125kg x 1

Grippers

Coc T x 3, 3

Coc 2 x 1 L+R  RGC 102lbs

Right hand

Gog elite 5 x 4* R  RGC 116lbs 

(missed 5th by 1mm) 

Coc 2 x 5

Coc 2 x 8+hold final rep R

Left hand *ive stopped using left turns for now

Coc 2 x 1 L

Gog Elite 5 x 0, 0 * missed by 1-2mm

Coc 2 x 1 L

Coc 2 gripper hold x 10 seconds L 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

Bw 82kg. 

For the past 2 years ive barely done any pressing work and next to no horizontal pressing so this is a tester session to see where iam at. 

Bench press(previous time was mid 2019)

60kg x 3

70kg x 3

80kg x 2

85kg x 1

90kg x 1

95kg x 1

100kg x 1

105kg x 0

Incline press

60kg x 3

70kg x 3

80kg x 1

90kg x 1 , 1

80kg x 3

• Like 4

BW 82KG

Deadlift test day*

*ive done none in 2 years but have done axle deads upto 130kg but only about 8 times total.

Deadlift - all double overhand.

60kg x 3 , 3

100kg x 2

110kg x 1, 1

120kg x 1 

130kg x 1

140kg x 1

145kg x 1

150kg x 1

155kg x 1

160kg x 0

Single arm row

*weight each side

25kg x 5 L+R

35kg x 5 L+R

45kg x 5 L+R

55kg x 5 L+R

60kg x 5 L+R

Hang from bar(to decompress spine)

Bw x 30 seconds

*notes.

Even though my deadlift strength is not surprisingly way down my support grip has increased for sure. I could of held onto way more double overhand. It felt solid on the rows as well. 

• Like 5

Extremely strong db rows 😲 given your size this is quite a feat of strength! I thought your reps would at least be sloppy to move that much weight but your form was great!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Extremely strong db rows 😲 given your size this is quite a feat of strength! I thought your reps would at least be sloppy to move that much weight but your form was great!

Thanks, Appreciate it man. 👍 ive always had decent back strength. Ive rowed 70kg for 3 in good form before in the past. Ive not done any of these in 2 years apart from a few times on my 50mm handle. Ive never seen the point in people heaving weight up in sloppy form as you are just cheating yourself. My back is smoked today. Lats and traps on fire 😂

All the grip work has at least maintained my back strength. Last week at this gym i rowed the whole stack of 100kg for 8 reps on seated cable rows what surprised me as ive done very little actual row work in my 2 year gym break. Ill have to test my barbell rowing strength. I used to do 100kg for 10 when my deadlift was at its highest. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

*VERY sore back hamstrings and forearms as expected. 

I need to pinch this week though to get some work in.

60mm steel block pinch

12.5kg x 3, 3 L+R

15kg x 2 L+R

18kg x 1 L+R

20kg x 1 L+R

22.5kg x 1 L+R

25kg x 1 L+R

27.5kg x 1 L+R

30kg x 1 L 0* air right

32.5kg x 1 L 

33.5kg x 0, 0 L * maybe 6 inch of air

30kg x 1 L

28kg x 3 L x 2 R

25kg x 3, 3 R

30kg x 3 sec hold L

28kg x 5 sec hold L

Alternate hammer curls

*weight each side

10kg x 10/10

15kg x 10/10

20kg x 10/10

12.5kg x 20/20

Hex dumbbell hold(rubber coated)

12.5kg x 20 seconds

Standing Db wrist curl

25kg x 35 L+R

• Like 3

Bw 82.1kg

Bench press(wider hand placement, i ussually close grip bench)

60kg x 3

65kg x 3

70kg x 3

75kg x 3

80kg x 3

85kg x 3

90kg x 3

Close grip bench

90kg x 3

85kg x 3

80kg x 5

Squat

60kg x 5

75kg x 5

90kg x 5

Hip belt squat

Machine weight? X 5

+40kg x 5

+50kg x 5

Glute hame raise(1st time in about 10 years)

Bw x 3, 3, 3 to 45°* could not go any lower and get back up.

Overhead tricep rope extensions

20kg x 8

30kg x 8

40kg x 8

50kg x 8

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3