One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

Hellswindstaff: Congrats on finishing exams, always a great feeling to walk out of the last one!

Yuri: really cool idea with the scale, you're getting mighty close to the unassisted OAC.

As far as my own training goes, I've been unable to do much over the last couple of months due to working circumstances etc, but I'm back home now and looking forward to getting back into training. Hopefully I haven't regressed in the meantime, and it should have given my elbows some time to fully heal up.

You've been taking a long break from exercise, man. I'm always better after a two week rest but I'm not sure how a few month rest will do.

Hopefully you didn't regress. Were you doing any maintenance work for your workouts?

A little bit. I was living in a different city with no regular access to a proper training facility (ie a pull-up bar). But I did do some work in a gym once or twice a week, but no weighted pull-ups or muscle ups etc. I'm pretty sure that after a couple of weeks I'll get back to a similar level of strength as I was before.

Good to hear. Did they send you away in an undercover assignment?

No lol, I was doing an internship at a law firm in London.

Closing in on an OApullup now. Started doing pulley assisted reps cause I haven't tried them before, feels pretty good. Up to 2 reps each arm with a 10lb pulley, and a finger assisted rep with every finger but my pinky. Getting close....

Closing in on an OApullup now. Started doing pulley assisted reps cause I haven't tried them before, feels pretty good. Up to 2 reps each arm with a 10lb pulley, and a finger assisted rep with every finger but my pinky. Getting close....

You already got them with both arms, no?

I should try for reps soon.

Got an OAC with each arm, not for reps though.

When I tried the OApullup right after first getting the OAC, I felt that I was only about 80% there. I can get off the bottom no problem, but the top half is much much harder with palm facing away....it feels like it's almost entirely bicep/brach from the halfway point on up. Apart from the bottom third, oapullup is even more arm-dominant than the OAC ime.

Okay I get it now. I didn't realize you differentiated between the 1APU and 1ACU.

I'll be going in the gym briefly tomorrow to see if I can get a legit 1APU this time. Think I'll have the camera rolling just in case.

Got an OAC with each arm, not for reps though.

When I tried the OApullup right after first getting the OAC, I felt that I was only about 80% there. I can get off the bottom no problem, but the top half is much much harder with palm facing away....it feels like it's almost entirely bicep/brach from the halfway point on up. Apart from the bottom third, oapullup is even more arm-dominant than the OAC ime.

That's actually interesting... I've never trained 2A weighted chins, so about a month ago, I maxed at 50lbs when that was my previous max before I began training for the 1AC and I'm closer than ever to a 1AC. I've noticed that myself, as well, that the top half of an overhand 1AC that there is little bicep involvement. Strangely enough, I think that I find parallel grip to me the strongest out of the three hand positions.

"Up to 2 reps each arm with a 10lb pulley, and a finger assisted rep with every finger but my pinky."

I believe that you had previously stated that I had to have ridiculous development in my pinky due to my ability to chin with only pinky assistance so early on in my 1AC training. I just blew that off, but I'm now beginning to realize it and I'm going to contribute it to fingertip supports.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Parallel grip is easiest for me too, with an OAC my body normally twists so that my hand is in a neutral position. That's one reason why the OApullup is harder I guess. And there's definitely bicep involvement still, as any one arm chin/pull seems to be more arm dominant than a two arm weighted chin or pullup. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because you can't really arch your back to get your lats pulling more efficiently, when you're hanging by one arm.

Last night I got to the halfway point of a one arm pullup with my right arm and held at parallel for a couple of seconds, but seriously it was like I hit a wall there. I'll keep doing the pulley work as well as some heavier arm training, I think.

As for the pinky thing, you probably do have rather strong fingers, it might also just be the case that I have weak ones. For me, a pinky assisted full rep is pretty darn close to an unassisted rep, with either OAC or OApullup. Another factor might be how short my pinky is (small hands and relatively short fingers even comparatively) which means I can't really get much help from my pinky on most bars.

Either way, all this stuff is highly individual... one of my friends was asking about the pulley assist and I had to tell him that where he grabbed the rope, what sort of rope it was, and how easily it slid over the bar would all be important aspects so we couldn't really compare in terms of poundage assistance.

This is where I'm at right now, constructive criticism appreciated.

Disregard the left arm attempt, it's shot right now.

My bodyweight is 61kg/135#s, and can do weighteds with about 40kg/90#s.

The hardest part of the movement for me is the beginning part.

Without assist, I can't get the motion started from dead-hang.

You would be a beast climber. You look like you're at least 5'8'' and 61 kg is super light for that height. The ability to close a #2 at your weight and height would put you at a fairly advanced level of climbing right off. The one hand pull up would help enormously too. Let me put it this way, I'm 5'3'' and weigh what you do and I can only crush a trainer and I climb at around the 25th to 30th percentile or 5.11a.

Thanks man! I really appreciate the input.

Like you guessed, I'm 5'9, and currently I'm about 58 kgs.

Climbing is something I've always been pretty interested in, but haven't made the move on it yet bc it seems very expensive and time consuming.

How do you like climbing? Are there competitions with prize money involved?

• 2 weeks later...

I received a present in the mail from Yuri today and to say the least it was quite humbling. 60lbs to go on the 1AC.

I'm betting you've got a lot less to go than that.

Since you can do it with a 30# counterweight, I think you'll be able to do it with as little as 25# of assistance as soon as you get used to the different way of pulling.

You grippo'ed (gripper typo) are you talking about the AG5? It's a monster.

As far as the 1APUs, since you now have a better way of measuring your progress, I think that improvements will come faster!

Yeah I meant the AG5. The spring is about 1.5cm wider than my coc#4. Crazy...

I hope so man... I dont think that I've made bad progress since the beginning of this year considering that I started with basically zero pull-up strength. I think at that time I could do roughly 3-5 pullups and now 10-15 without even training them and barely having the grip strength to hang from the bar with one hand...

Edited by hellswindstaff

Yeah that spring is massive. It rates the same as the average #4 though.

What's your training for the 1APU looking like lately?

Also, I just realized that when I used the scale the most, the part that was marked, was at my weakest point in the 1AC. touche

See, I think you typoed again, but I'm glad that you're pulling 5-10 erotic single ladies every day.

Using a counterweight now, or still bottom of towel?

I haven't yet... I'm refreshing myself on java because I have to take another java course starting next week.