One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

• 4 weeks later...

Haha, thanks guys, although I think that both of you are stronger than I am in proportion to bodyweight! Got a new phone recently which has a useable camera (my old blackberry was useless) so should be able to get some footage of training in the gym with weighted pull-ups as well as in my room.

Can I get opinions on this: one arm isometric lat-pulldowns from top, middle, and bottom positions... purely for the connective tissue conditioning and the contractile abilities. Obviously this will not going to build coordination.

p.s.- thanks patrick, but aren't you like 190lbs-200lbs?

Edited by hellswindstaff

Can I get opinions on this: one arm isometric lat-pulldowns from top, middle, and bottom positions... purely for the connective tissue conditioning and the contractile abilities. Obviously this will not going to build coordination.

Yeah, I weighed 93kg last time I got on the scales - but I hate it when people use their weight as an excuse for not being able to do bodyweight feats so I try and avoid doing that. I have as much respect for a 120lbs guy doing a OAC or a planche or whatever as I do for a 250lbs guy. Both had to train hard to get the feat, and for most people being heavy is a lifestyle choice. Its not like I'm 7 feet tall and have 160lbs of skin, bones, organs and connective tissues!

With the lat pull-down thing, I guess that it would be better than nothing, especially if you were going to be using a significantly lighter weight than bodyweight. But if you were going to be using a weight fairly close to bodyweight then I think you'd be better off doing the isometrics (which i think are great for getting through sticking points) with a belt or rope over the bar tied to a dumbbell or something. Just because when I do one arm lat pull downs the elbow position feels quite different, so not sure it would stress the tissues in the same way.

But don't think it would do any harm at all, so maybe try it and report back?

Yeah, I weighed 93kg last time I got on the scales - but I hate it when people use their weight as an excuse for not being able to do bodyweight feats so I try and avoid doing that. I have as much respect for a 120lbs guy doing a OAC or a planche or whatever as I do for a 250lbs guy. Both had to train hard to get the feat, and for most people being heavy is a lifestyle choice. Its not like I'm 7 feet tall and have 160lbs of skin, bones, organs and connective tissues!

With the lat pull-down thing, I guess that it would be better than nothing, especially if you were going to be using a significantly lighter weight than bodyweight. But if you were going to be using a weight fairly close to bodyweight then I think you'd be better off doing the isometrics (which i think are great for getting through sticking points) with a belt or rope over the bar tied to a dumbbell or something. Just because when I do one arm lat pull downs the elbow position feels quite different, so not sure it would stress the tissues in the same way.

I feel you on the thing about heavier people, but I think that makes the BW feats that you do even more incredible. I agree with the second statement too, but I would like to extend it to say that I respect the shit out of anyone out there trying to ACTIVELY get better at anything... especially under their own volition. I remember Bud Jeffries talking about doing pull-ups at 300lbs+... Konstantine can do over 70 kipping chins in one set... he's like a giant!

The thing is... I have so many goals right now which all COULD be rough on the elbows, but I'm trying to moderate those and I can do a lock-off with one arm and assistance from the fingers of the other hand, but that in itself is pretty rough on the elbows and finger's connective tissue. I'm not strong enough at the moment to do a lock-off with no assistance. The mechanics are pretty similar to the towel chin right, albeit some more stabilization going on??? My idea was to use a ring and pull it down to position with both hands, let go with one hand so;

a) to use supramaximal loads isometrically

b) to replicate the position

Are you saying that the position won't be replicated by using a ring?

Edited by hellswindstaff

Why don't you set up a pulley system to deload yourself?

If been using mine inconstently for years, with some decent progress.

(1RM from -20kg to -6.25kg)

I feel you on the thing about heavier people, but I think that makes the BW feats that you do even more incredible. I agree with the second statement too, but I would like to extend it to say that I respect the shit out of anyone out there trying to ACTIVELY get better at anything... especially under their own volition. I remember Bud Jeffries talking about doing pull-ups at 300lbs+... Konstantine can do over 70 kipping chins in one set... he's like a giant!

The thing is... I have so many goals right now which all COULD be rough on the elbows, but I'm trying to moderate those and I can do a lock-off with one arm and assistance from the fingers of the other hand, but that in itself is pretty rough on the elbows and finger's connective tissue. I'm not strong enough at the moment to do a lock-off with no assistance. The mechanics are pretty similar to the towel chin right, albeit some more stabilization going on??? My idea was to use a ring and pull it down to position with both hands, let go with one hand so;

Not exactly, just saying that I can't say with confidence that it will be exactly the same. If you're doing lots of things that stress the elbow then I would say that it's definitely a good idea to use less resistance, and the lat pull-down is the easiest way to go about that. I think that for anyone the key is that if you train regularly and avoid elbow tendonitis then you'll get there in the end - provided you don't have a completely silly regime. For me, if i hadn't messed up my elbow a bit I'm sure I would have a OAC by now, I've only just started to get close to how strong I was 9 months ago - where this felt really, really easy, could have stayed up at the top for twice as long if I'd wanted:

I guess what I'm saying is that if you think that lat pulldown isometrics will be better for your elbows than assisted chins on a bar at this stage, then do them. Suppose what I have learned is that training is a marathon more than a sprint.

Not exactly, just saying that I can't say with confidence that it will be exactly the same. If you're doing lots of things that stress the elbow then I would say that it's definitely a good idea to use less resistance, and the lat pull-down is the easiest way to go about that. I think that for anyone the key is that if you train regularly and avoid elbow tendonitis then you'll get there in the end - provided you don't have a completely silly regime. For me, if i hadn't messed up my elbow a bit I'm sure I would have a OAC by now, I've only just started to get close to how strong I was 9 months ago - where this felt really, really easy, could have stayed up at the top for twice as long if I'd wanted:

I guess what I'm saying is that if you think that lat pulldown isometrics will be better for your elbows than assisted chins on a bar at this stage, then do them. Suppose what I have learned is that training is a marathon more than a sprint.

Have you thought about lowering and raising the ring to the appropriate height so that you can just lift up your feet? Yeah what I'm thinking with the one arm lat pull-downs is that it's really not going to give me the coordination at all but should give the strength when the weight gets heavy enough... it'll just be something that I cycle in and out anyways. And ty for the advice.

Anytime, hope that it proves somewhat helpful. Sadly I don't have that room any more, I live in university accommodation and my room changes every year. Last year I had a big beam that I hung my rings on, but this year I have no beam so I have to make do with a doorway pull-up bar.

Anytime, hope that it proves somewhat helpful. Sadly I don't have that room any more, I live in university accommodation and my room changes every year. Last year I had a big beam that I hung my rings on, but this year I have no beam so I have to make do with a doorway pull-up bar.

That's a bummer. I really don't like student boarding, I'm very thankful that I dont have to live in it... at least for now.

This 1AC business has proven to be more of a challenge that I previously thought. In the beginning, I thought that the road to it would be simple and at first I saw good progress, but then gains went stale even though I put forth efforts to avoid accommodation. It has been humbling to say the least and I think that you're right when you said, "I think that for anyone the key is that if you train regularly and avoid elbow tendonitis then you'll get there in the end."

If you find that too stressful on your fingers, some type of strap like eagle loops will help bc it won't be as stressful on your fingers due to the more closed position of the hand. What musician is that btw?

Edited by hellswindstaff

If you find that too stressful on your fingers, some type of strap like eagle loops will help bc it won't be as stressful on your fingers due to the more closed position of the hand. What musician is that btw?

Thanks for the advice, think I'll stick with doing this for now - it was a bit uncomfortable, but that gave me an incentive to put as much weight as I could on my working arm with every rep. If I start having problems with my fingers I'll invest in some strapping.

Music is Shook Ones Part II by Mobb Deep

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Talked to Michael Hann at the Show of Hands comp, and he posed a question about achieving a 1APU.

Am I doing this for the status achievement of the feat, or for the strength gains?

After considering that, I've found that I can pull off a cheated one armed chin from a small hop.

Right only. Left is coming along.

For the past months, I've switched it up and am training weighted pull ups.

7 weeks into an amended Starting Strength program, and here is my result.

Previously: +79lbs for one rep.

Now: +63lbs for 5 reps.

UPDATE

Talked to Michael Hann at the Show of Hands comp, and he posed a question about achieving a 1APU.

Am I doing this for the status achievement of the feat, or for the strength gains?

After considering that, I've found that I can pull off a cheated one armed chin from a small hop.

Great stuff Yori, and nice to hear that you've achieved a pretty cool feat - not many people can do a OAC even with a hop! Personally I'm doing it partly for the status of the achievement, and partly because of the personal challenge, I'm trying to tick off all the skills on BeastSkills.com.

Really impressive gains in the last couple of months - what's your training frequency like? My problem is that I can't really train heavy chins more than once a week at the moment because my elbows don't like it. Definitely limiting progress. I might try jumping into the OAC next time I work them. (I'll need more than a hop I think!) I don't think it will be as helpful for me, because I can break the deadhang fairly easily, but can't work my way up through 90 degrees - the top of the movement is much weaker.

Another thing I wanted to throw out to the board was a training issue - I feel that my right arm is making some progress, but my left is standing still, I fear that when I train weighted chins/pull-ups, my right is working harder than my left and preventing it from developing. Anyone with any tips for pulling equally with both arms, or should I just work on the left arm in isolation to help it along with finger assists etc.?

Thanks Pat! The beastskills site has some beastly feats. I commend you for tackling them.

My training frequency is once a week for weighted pulls. I usually do them on friday or saturday, and will go AW on sunday.

I feel as if this may be counterproductive because of the lack of rest, but it's been working for me and I've made big gains in both.

(This may be because of my need to focus on technique in AW if I'm already exhausted in strength)

I think a hop will help you power through the sticking points. The bottom and the top are both very difficult, but not unbearable with momentum.

Finally, I share that problem when I do any sort of exercise... My left arm is a whole inch longer than my right.

(My leg also, which sucks when deadlifting. Even if I wear a height insole in one shoe to match leg length, the lockout is thrown askew.)

If you're doing pull ups to get stronger at them (no matter which arm you lean on more) the result will be an increased ability to pull.

I think the problem about asymmetrical loading is more about asthetics-in a bodybuilding sense. Or maybe you do sports which an arm is isolated from the other (AW, rock climbing) in which case you'd want to have a matching strength level.

My answer to this has been to lean on the unfavored side (for me, my right) during the light warm up sets, to get the body conditioned to the movement.

If you take adequate (2-5mins) rest between sets, the extra work on the weak limb will not hinder your performance in the all important work sets.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE

Great stuff Yori, and nice to hear that you've achieved a pretty cool feat - not many people can do a OAC even with a hop! Personally I'm doing it partly for the status of the achievement, and partly because of the personal challenge, I'm trying to tick off all the skills on BeastSkills.com.

Really impressive gains in the last couple of months - what's your training frequency like? My problem is that I can't really train heavy chins more than once a week at the moment because my elbows don't like it. Definitely limiting progress. I might try jumping into the OAC next time I work them. (I'll need more than a hop I think!) I don't think it will be as helpful for me, because I can break the deadhang fairly easily, but can't work my way up through 90 degrees - the top of the movement is much weaker.

Another thing I wanted to throw out to the board was a training issue - I feel that my right arm is making some progress, but my left is standing still, I fear that when I train weighted chins/pull-ups, my right is working harder than my left and preventing it from developing. Anyone with any tips for pulling equally with both arms, or should I just work on the left arm in isolation to help it along with finger assists etc.?

Something that I've been playing with is standing on a bathroom scale while setting the ring height to the height that I'm attempting to train and pulling to a certain poundage[allows for adjustments in intensity] at that joint angle for time.

UPDATE

Something that I've been playing with is standing on a bathroom scale while setting the ring height to the height that I'm attempting to train and pulling to a certain poundage[allows for adjustments in intensity] at that joint angle for time.

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a go over the summer when I get home in a June. (I don't have an easy place to set up rings/scale at University.) Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I am now able to pull my feet off of the ground for approx .5sec in the top, middle, and bottom positions. In another month or two I should be able to isometrically hold the three positions for time... at that point I will make a video.

I've improved.

First, I've been greasing the groove with 1apu because I'm taking it easy in the weighted department.

This has me doing 3 reps on top position 1apu whenever I feel like it... Started off doing it from a 60 degree arm angle and am now up to 110 degrees.

My sticking point seems to be the lower middle. I can start the movement but it gets lost right after that if I'm doing it strict. Lockout is no longer a problem.

Another update, and this one is exciting for me.

Getting a 6x6 storage unit in my apartment I'll be moving in next month. This is very small, but will be able to fit squat stands, bench, and a 5ft axle.

I'll be more regular when this happens.

PS. I'm now almost able to lock out a pull up weighted with my girlfriend (100#s) on my back.

This has been a goal of mine for 2 years, crossing this off will be great. Video soon.

I've improved.

First, I've been greasing the groove with 1apu because I'm taking it easy in the weighted department.

This has me doing 3 reps on top position 1apu whenever I feel like it... Started off doing it from a 60 degree arm angle and am now up to 110 degrees.

My sticking point seems to be the lower middle. I can start the movement but it gets lost right after that if I'm doing it strict. Lockout is no longer a problem.

Another update, and this one is exciting for me.

Getting a 6x6 storage unit in my apartment I'll be moving in next month. This is very small, but will be able to fit squat stands, bench, and a 5ft axle.

I'll be more regular when this happens.

PS. I'm now almost able to lock out a pull up weighted with my girlfriend (100#s) on my back.

This has been a goal of mine for 2 years, crossing this off will be great. Video soon.

6x6 is way too small. You still have to change plates. I have a pretty small storage unit that I train out of 14x10 and it's still really cramped with just a power rack, weights, bars, and small shelf. There isn't that much room to change the plates.

Damn, maybe I have to go for 4.5 ft or something ridiculous then.

One difference is that I'll only have a set of stands, no rack. I think this will make a big difference. I won't have anywhere to do pull ups off of though.

I'll try to figure out a solution for the weights.