One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

Unofficial state record, it wasn't done in a full meet, haha. And no, always wanted to try axle DL but never had the chance. There was a fat bar at york barbell, actually, where that meet was held, and I wanted to max out on it after competing but they moved it during setup :/ Double overhand I'd probably fail miserably because I have smallish hands, but with a mixed grip and chalk I could definitely do 335+ I think.

Get one. $35 at Home Depot, they'll cut it for you.

1.5" ID conduit pipe.

So, I actually got a one arm pull-up earlier this week...

I got sick of not getting one, and the video of Boris Terry repping them out motivated me to go back to weighted pulls.. except I did them bulgarian style, every day (100#+, 1-3 reps, bodyweight 175), for a month.. I also added in 2-3 overhead press workouts throughout the week. I've also been climbing 2-4 hours every day for the past month, and my tendons feel BETTER than climbing 2x a week.

Interesting, I would recommend it for anyone with a few years training experience under their belt.

No elbow problems either, only if I way over do it with a crazy workout (like 10-20 sets of 90% 1 rep max)..

I dont get it... I attempted weighted chins and my max went DOWN! I can now pull to about 20lbs from 180lbs standing on a scale with one arm with no issue. Is there no carryover from 1AC to weighted chins? If I cannot pull this off by September then I think that I'm just going to go Yori's route and just go with weighted chins until I'm knocking out one arm chins, as it is the most obvious and surefire way to achieve this skill.

Edited by hellswindstaff

That'll happen--just the way specific training goes. I'd say keep doing whatever's working, but start doing some weighted chins in addition to your specific one arm work, if possible.

If not, just keep progressing and once you get a full OAC, if you want to mix weighted stuff back in you can. Even if it's gone down, once you get accustomed to it again you'll probably surpass your previous bests fairly easily.

• 2 months later...

I forgot if I ever updated with my last bit of progress...

I've become able to do 1APUs with the right arm, starting with an elbow just bent.

Can't do it deadhang yet, but can complete a rep with this modification.

Ran into a few scheduling difficulties, and my training had stalled for the past month.

I just started getting back on the groove again, and am training weighted pull ups on a ladder scheme and GOMADing.

Have a bunch of goals to achieve in short order, so I'll see how it all fits.

I forgot if I ever updated with my last bit of progress...

I've become able to do 1APUs with the right arm, starting with an elbow just bent.

Can't do it deadhang yet, but can complete a rep with this modification.

Ran into a few scheduling difficulties, and my training had stalled for the past month.

I just started getting back on the groove again, and am training weighted pull ups on a ladder scheme and GOMADing.

Have a bunch of goals to achieve in short order, so I'll see how it all fits.

My weighted pull up training is the same... except I'm adding some 1/4 chins at the end, going to increase ROM to 1/2 chins

when I hit goal weight in the 1/4 chins

What kind of weight are you working with?

10lbs on the full ROM and 40lbs on the 1/4 ROM. My 2 arm vertical pulling strength went down significantly after spending 6 month (ish) on the one arm isometrics. I'm hoping that it will come up quickly considering that was about to generate approximately 140lbs of force in all angles on the 1A isometrics... I really have no clue what was up with that huge difference in poundages.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Nice job, I'll had a go with the 5RM stuff, I've also decided to throw in some wide grip stuff because I've realised that I'm a lot weaker going wide and chest to bar because my mid-back is weak compared to my lats. Be sure to post up a video when you get it!

MY GOODNESS!!!!

This really, really impressed me! Just WOW. That dude is on a very, very unique and elite level.

After browsing the internet for years and watching this type of stuff, I have to say I am no longer THAT impressed (but still very impressed) when a 150# gymnast cranks out a few one armers.... But when I see a big dude, over 200#, doing reps without super kips (or wild leg kicks).... that is insane. His regular weighed pull-ups (with two hands) are off the freakin chars. He reps 180# like most grown men (who workout) rep a 45# plate. Are you serious?? Wow. This guy is an absolute beast! thanks for sharing his channel/videos.

Yeah, it takes a lot to really impress now that so many strong people are posting up on YouTube, but this guy is really something else. He actually replied to my message this morning:

"I have no problem helping others with training tips. I do pull ups twice a week and i do them when i train back and again when i train biceps as a warm up. I will have to make a vid of my whole workout so ppl can see that its not just pull ups that i do. Back day i do weighted pull ups wide grip then on bicep day i do it close grip."

At first, I wasn't that impressed with this guy, cuz he seemed to be just doing partial range of motion on his pull-ups, but when I dug deeper into his channel and saw his weighted pull-ups with 135# - the ROM looked very good.

• 1 month later...

Update--got 2 OAC with my right arm this evening, both reps from a dead hang, no swinging or kipping. Not sure if I got my chin *over* the bar on the second, it was more like 'chin to bar', but I'm counting it anyway. Also got a full one arm pullup with my left arm for the first time... no go on a double OAC, though >__<

...Started doing more OAC work back in September. Man, after getting the first one (March 2012), progressing from there is really tough.

I think it would've been easier with weighted work but my university gym no longer has a weight belt, and the pullup bars are the wrong height to hold a dumbbell between my feet. I got a martial arts belt from my house, though, so I'll jury-rig something for weighted pulls soon enough.

And I do agree with the above poster that OACs aren't as impressive for dudes 150lb and under (much like a 500lb deadlift isn't impressive if you're over 180 or over, imo). I won't be happy until I can do at least 5.

Georgi Garydarzhiev has done 17 one arm pullups in a single set, and Jasper Benincasa did like 27 OACs (alternating arms each rep). That Shoffner dude on youtube is pretty badass too--I'd love to get to that level someday.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Update--got 2 OAC with my right arm this evening, both reps from a dead hang, no swinging or kipping. Not sure if I got my chin *over* the bar on the second, it was more like 'chin to bar', but I'm counting it anyway. Also got a full one arm pullup with my left arm for the first time... no go on a double OAC, though >__<

...Started doing more OAC work back in September. Man, after getting the first one (March 2012), progressing from there is really tough.

I think it would've been easier with weighted work but my university gym no longer has a weight belt, and the pullup bars are the wrong height to hold a dumbbell between my feet. I got a martial arts belt from my house, though, so I'll jury-rig something for weighted pulls soon enough.

And I do agree with the above poster that OACs aren't as impressive for dudes 150lb and under (much like a 500lb deadlift isn't impressive if you're over 180 or over, imo). I won't be happy until I can do at least 5.

Georgi Garydarzhiev has done 17 one arm pullups in a single set, and Jasper Benincasa did like 27 OACs (alternating arms each rep). That Shoffner dude on youtube is pretty badass too--I'd love to get to that level someday.

I think that most people are stopped with trying higher volume because of the torque on the elbow. I think that rings or eagle loops could be of assistance to that goal... if you are not currently using them.

Hey, some tips

-Do static holds for your grip. Just hang on the bar for time. Wrap a towell around bar to make it thicker.

-Do top of the bar holds for time, then slower lower.

-Do Ecentric Only training, just lower yourself slowly

-Wrap a towell around the bar and let it hang and grab it with your other hand, while your other hand is on the bar to do 1 arm style. This works great for 1 arm chins and ecentric style as well.

I think that most people are stopped with trying higher volume because of the torque on the elbow. I think that rings or eagle loops could be of assistance to that goal... if you are not currently using them.

That's probably a factor, yeah. And just lack of specific focus, or lack of interest (heck, most folks seem interested in the OAC just as a 1RM 'stunt' and don't even bother with strict form/full ROM) but there are still beasts out there.

Anyhow, I still have a decent OAC but am focusing on weighted chins for a bit instead.

• 1 month later...

I finally got my first satisfactory one-armer last night.

Bodyweight was 132#.

Started out with a dead hang. Held position for one second, and pulled my chin over the bar in an extended effort.

Body English was there, but none of it helped me lift off.

I've been really lazy the past two weeks, but I guess that helped me in the form of a deload

I was only able to do it left handed, so both hands is my next goal.

• Like 1

Thanks man! It took me a long time to achieve.

This thread was started 2 years ago, and at that point I could already knock out 5 reps using one arm and the tip of a finger as assistance.

Glad to finally cross this off my list.

Thanks man! It took me a long time to achieve.

This thread was started 2 years ago, and at that point I could already knock out 5 reps using one arm and the tip of a finger as assistance.

Glad to finally cross this off my list.

Agreed this one is taking a lot longer than I originally planned. It may elude me this year as well, but my weighted chins are moving on up!

Good luck man, haven't talked in a while!

Yesterday I finally did both arms, back to back.

I wonder if it was my tendons progressing so slowly?

• 3 weeks later...