One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

I've improved.

First, I've been greasing the groove with 1apu because I'm taking it easy in the weighted department.

This has me doing 3 reps on top position 1apu whenever I feel like it... Started off doing it from a 60 degree arm angle and am now up to 110 degrees.

My sticking point seems to be the lower middle. I can start the movement but it gets lost right after that if I'm doing it strict. Lockout is no longer a problem.

Another update, and this one is exciting for me.

Getting a 6x6 storage unit in my apartment I'll be moving in next month. This is very small, but will be able to fit squat stands, bench, and a 5ft axle.

I'll be more regular when this happens.

PS. I'm now almost able to lock out a pull up weighted with my girlfriend (100#s) on my back.

This has been a goal of mine for 2 years, crossing this off will be great. Video soon.

Really nice, my progress has slowed down a lot lately because of exams - but less than two weeks until I'm done, so hopefully I'll get back on track afterwards. Managed 3 x 3 chins w/50kg recently, wasn't actually feeling very strong so hoping that when fresh my 1RM has progressed a little, perhaps to 58 or 60kg. It doesn't help that I've put on 2-3kg recently because my diet has been rubbish and I haven't had time for any cardio.

Sounds like you're gradually increasing the ROM, won't be long until you bust through that sticking point. Girlfriend on back is pretty awesome. Especially given you're not a great deal heavier than she is like:

Damn, maybe I have to go for 4.5 ft or something ridiculous then.

One difference is that I'll only have a set of stands, no rack. I think this will make a big difference. I won't have anywhere to do pull ups off of though.

I'll try to figure out a solution for the weights.

The biggest problem isn't the rack itself, it's the length of the my bar. If you're only going to use an axle... one that you're cutting short then you maybe able to make it work... I'm using standard powerlifting bar. Just remember that the room that you're going to have to put plates onto the bar, you will have to divide by 2 because you have to load both ends.

I've improved.

First, I've been greasing the groove with 1apu because I'm taking it easy in the weighted department.

This has me doing 3 reps on top position 1apu whenever I feel like it... Started off doing it from a 60 degree arm angle and am now up to 110 degrees.

My sticking point seems to be the lower middle. I can start the movement but it gets lost right after that if I'm doing it strict. Lockout is no longer a problem.

Another update, and this one is exciting for me.

Getting a 6x6 storage unit in my apartment I'll be moving in next month. This is very small, but will be able to fit squat stands, bench, and a 5ft axle.

I'll be more regular when this happens.

PS. I'm now almost able to lock out a pull up weighted with my girlfriend (100#s) on my back.

This has been a goal of mine for 2 years, crossing this off will be great. Video soon.

Really nice, my progress has slowed down a lot lately because of exams - but less than two weeks until I'm done, so hopefully I'll get back on track afterwards. Managed 3 x 3 chins w/50kg recently, wasn't actually feeling very strong so hoping that when fresh my 1RM has progressed a little, perhaps to 58 or 60kg. It doesn't help that I've put on 2-3kg recently because my diet has been rubbish and I haven't had time for any cardio.

Sounds like you're gradually increasing the ROM, won't be long until you bust through that sticking point. Girlfriend on back is pretty awesome. Especially given you're not a great deal heavier than she is like:

LMAO! At first I watched the video first and was thinking "I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but something about you looks different from you since your last video Patrick". Then I actually read the post.

That guy is displaying some impressive strength.

My rep stop exactly where his does on the video. Maybe there's a difficulty in going any higher when a person is inhibiting the motion up top.

About to go do some more weighted pulls today so I can join the 200 club doing 5 reps.

Haha, if only I was as strong as this guy! He can do 5 or 6 OACs each arm at 220lbs. Pretty incredible.

Dude, saw the video just now. Insane!

He's as strict as possible on them too, mad respect.

Now, I can't let this dude out BW-ratio me.

Haha, if only I was as strong as this guy! He can do 5 or 6 OACs each arm at 220lbs. Pretty incredible.

Yeah dude... mad respect. You know him? You should see if he could give us all pointers on achieving the 1AC.

He just does tons of weighted. There's videos of him 5 and 6-repping 180#s at 220BW or so.

He tried the one arms just because, and got strict reps at them.

Freakishly strong. Should be an AWer.

No I don't know him sadly, like Yori said I think that he just did a lot of weighted pull-ups and got multiple OACs on his first try. Pretty amazing. I'll message him on YouTube about what sort of training he did in the weighted pull-up department and see if he responds.

• 2 weeks later...

Did he respond with any tips?

Sadly not, he doesn't seem to be that active on YouTube, so that might explain why. Or perhaps he doesn't bother with personal messages.

Did he respond with any tips?

Sadly not, he doesn't seem to be that active on YouTube, so that might explain why. Or perhaps he doesn't bother with personal messages.

bummer

Neutral grip chinned from a dead hang my girlfriend, almost to the very top last night.

Got stuck at the last 5% of the ROM, but this feat is about to go down.

And based on the progress I'm seeing from all my weighted pulls, consistently adding weight to your 5RM seems to be the way to go with this 1APU monkey business.

Helps with both the maximum contraction and the stamina to grind through the most difficult parts.

MY GOODNESS!!!!

This really, really impressed me! Just WOW. That dude is on a very, very unique and elite level.

After browsing the internet for years and watching this type of stuff, I have to say I am no longer THAT impressed (but still very impressed) when a 150# gymnast cranks out a few one armers.... But when I see a big dude, over 200#, doing reps without super kips (or wild leg kicks).... that is insane. His regular weighed pull-ups (with two hands) are off the freakin chars. He reps 180# like most grown men (who workout) rep a 45# plate. Are you serious?? Wow. This guy is an absolute beast! thanks for sharing his channel/videos.

Neutral grip chinned from a dead hang my girlfriend, almost to the very top last night.

And based on the progress I'm seeing from all my weighted pulls, consistently adding weight to your 5RM seems to be the way to go with this 1APU monkey business.

Helps with both the maximum contraction and the stamina to grind through the most difficult parts.

Nice job, I'll had a go with the 5RM stuff, I've also decided to throw in some wide grip stuff because I've realised that I'm a lot weaker going wide and chest to bar because my mid-back is weak compared to my lats. Be sure to post up a video when you get it!

MY GOODNESS!!!!

This really, really impressed me! Just WOW. That dude is on a very, very unique and elite level.

After browsing the internet for years and watching this type of stuff, I have to say I am no longer THAT impressed (but still very impressed) when a 150# gymnast cranks out a few one armers.... But when I see a big dude, over 200#, doing reps without super kips (or wild leg kicks).... that is insane. His regular weighed pull-ups (with two hands) are off the freakin chars. He reps 180# like most grown men (who workout) rep a 45# plate. Are you serious?? Wow. This guy is an absolute beast! thanks for sharing his channel/videos.

Yeah, it takes a lot to really impress now that so many strong people are posting up on YouTube, but this guy is really something else. He actually replied to my message this morning:

"I have no problem helping others with training tips. I do pull ups twice a week and i do them when i train back and again when i train biceps as a warm up. I will have to make a vid of my whole workout so ppl can see that its not just pull ups that i do. Back day i do weighted pull ups wide grip then on bicep day i do it close grip."

Nice job, I'll had a go with the 5RM stuff, I've also decided to throw in some wide grip stuff because I've realised that I'm a lot weaker going wide and chest to bar because my mid-back is weak compared to my lats. Be sure to post up a video when you get it!

>MY GOODNESS!!!!

Yeah, it takes a lot to really impress now that so many strong people are posting up on YouTube, but this guy is really something else. He actually replied to my message this morning:

"I have no problem helping others with training tips. I do pull ups twice a week and i do them when i train back and again when i train biceps as a warm up. I will have to make a vid of my whole workout so ppl can see that its not just pull ups that i do. Back day i do weighted pull ups wide grip then on bicep day i do it close grip."

That's awesome. I'd love to see those as well. I wonder what his training age is?

So do you work up to a 5RM?

I very recently did:

BWx5, BWx5 (easy warmup)

+15x5, +30x3, +45x2 (form, working up)

+60x5, +60x5, +60x5 (maximal)

It's the same structure as what the Starting strength program recommends.

Been seeing great gains on it, I'm working with 65#s now but I originally started 12 weeks ago with only 45#s.

Got a ton closer to 1APU too.

• 2 weeks later...

I can currently hit 10lbs consistently while isometrically pulling from top, middle, and bottom positions from a bathroom scale. However, it is beginning to hurt my shoulder and elbow as I am training in that manner, so I am switching to finger assisted pullups off of a pair of eagle loops. I am currently getting singles with assistance from any one finger on both sides.

You're going with the Dragondoor one arm chin guide, correct?

Finally had a chance to read through it.

Anyways, good job man!

I've been resting up from pull ups as much as possible.

I'll be moving out of my apartment in a two days, and I need some strength for that.

You're going with the Dragondoor one arm chin guide, correct?

Finally had a chance to read through it.

Anyways, good job man!

I've been resting up from pull ups as much as possible.

I'll be moving out of my apartment in a two days, and I need some strength for that.

Well I'm not strictly following it, I've taken a number of great ideas from it though.

This sucks. I've moved and gotten the gym together, but don't have a good place to do weighted pull ups from anymore.

I could do them with my squat rack but can't maintain a good grip. (Imagine holding bodyweight and change for time on a wet axle)

I'm thinking about reps with pulley from my squat stands, as this would be easier.

This sucks. I've moved and gotten the gym together, but don't have a good place to do weighted pull ups from anymore.

I could do them with my squat rack but can't maintain a good grip. (Imagine holding bodyweight and change for time on a wet axle)

I'm thinking about reps with pulley from my squat stands, as this would be easier.

What do you mean change for time on a wet axle? You don't have a regular sized barbell, only an axle? Just go to hardware store and purchase narrower piping and use that, shouldnt run you more than ten bucks.

I have a space issue so opted just to get a 5ft axle. Though it would be nice to get a thinner bar to hang off, now that you mention it.

I meant that a working set I'd do with 70#s added would work out like this:

BW 130+70= 200.

5 pull ups=20 seconds

Climate in storage: hot and slightly humid

So I mean to say that given the circumstances, my working sets on my setup would be akin to holding 200#s on a slightly wet axle for 20 seconds.

I have a space issue so opted just to get a 5ft axle. Though it would be nice to get a thinner bar to hang off, now that you mention it.

BW 130+70= 200.

5 pull ups=20 seconds

So I mean to say that given the circumstances, my working sets on my setup would be akin to holding 200#s on a slightly wet axle for 20 seconds.

BW 130+70= 200.

5 pull ups=20 seconds

• 2 weeks later...

(Journeyman) Reporting back with my first real (pronated) one arm pullup. Got the OAC about one year before this, and haven't worked on it much since then... getting the OAPullup, with my right arm at least, makes me want to progress more with these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTZF5hKE-4

Here's the old video again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGV9yf_Kyfk

At the time of writing, I haven't really done any pullups in the past 2 months, just haven't bothered--been focusing on deadlifts. But just now I hit my normal 'baseline' of 20 deadhang strict pullups so the base is still there... looking to get 5 OAPullups each arm by the end of the year.