One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

Cool. Well now that I'm a starbucks person I can tell you that the coffee from Asia is particularly refreshing because of the floral, earthy taste that African and S.American coffees don't have.

Also, the green unroasted coffee beans are more popular now due to the media propagating their supposed weight loss effects, they also come with more caffeine and less flavor though.

You have to remember to smell, sip, locate, then describe what you're tasting, in that order. This is important especially for coffee tastings.

Good luck on your class in java!

I still like the building part more than the programming part of robotics.

Cool. Well now that I'm a starbucks person I can tell you that the coffee from Asia is particularly refreshing because of the floral, earthy taste that African and S.American coffees don't have.

Also, the green unroasted coffee beans are more popular now due to the media propagating their supposed weight loss effects, they also come with more caffeine and less flavor though.

You have to remember to smell, sip, locate, then describe what you're tasting, in that order. This is important especially for coffee tastings.

Good luck on your class in java!

I still like the building part more than the programming part of robotics.

I'm more of a tea drinker myself... I've been making sun tea as of lately; chamomile and sencha green tea are amongst my favorites sun teas. I feel that it brings out a different flavor than steeped in hot water... hot water teas; lavender and catnip is really good.

Well...technically I'm in an artificial intelligence program, but I was considering robotics... how awesome would it be for this to be your job?

Edited by hellswindstaff

Heading off to Europa now but I gotta check out that video when I got time.

Wish me strength! I go to bust suckas.

Interesting development with the luggage scale that Yuri sent to me. Apparently I get A LOT more assistance while using my full hand. I attempted a 1AC, using only my thumb as assistance using the luggage scale and only received an extra 30lbs assistance, but was able to (mostly) complete a rep, though it took around 5 seconds to do. This is in comparison to my full hand in which I receive an extra 60-70lbs assistance.

This thing rules... thank you so much Yuri

No problem man, I had to move on from it to make sure I worked on a few bigger things. More info on that later, but you of course were the one I most wanted to give it to.

PS. I should correct you now before it catches on... My name is spelled with an o (Yori). Lol

No problem man, I had to move on from it to make sure I worked on a few bigger things. More info on that later, but you of course were the one I most wanted to give it to.

PS. I should correct you now before it catches on... My name is spelled with an o (Yori). Lol

Have I been spelling it wrong this whole time or just that once?

Whole time.

Haha everybody calls me that for some reason, but I was like "hey maybe I should tell people so it doesn't stick"

I do get asked if I'm Russian sometimes.

Yeah but Yuri (spelled as Uri) is a super russian name.

With pronounciation comes etymology...

Ahh makes sense now.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to GTG with one arm negatives? I know that sounds horrible, but I'm a climber so my tissues are already pretty strong and my joints can probably handle the volume better than most..

Is it possible to GTG with one arm negatives? I know that sounds horrible, but I'm a climber so my tissues are already pretty strong and my joints can probably handle the volume better than most..

Anything is possible... but the real question would is; Would it be effective? Would it result in injury? If you can squat 300lbs then would you load the bar up to 400lbs everyday failing the lift and expect to become stronger?

• 1 month later...

Wanted to check back over in this thread.

I've been taking my training a lot more seriously lately after I made daily routines for everything I do. It seemed that I really needed more structure in my life, so I did. I hope this lasts a long time.

Last night, I worked on my pull ups for the first time in forever with a new weight belt I made.

I did 10 reps with a plate, which is a PR in weighted pulls for me. I'm still working towards being able to do +100x1, but based on my numbers it may be very possible soon.

I'll keep at it and see how it goes. Keep ya guys posted.

I may start a training log so I can stay on top of all my goals too.

I've been taking my training a lot more seriously lately after I made daily routines for everything I do. It seemed that I really needed more structure in my life, so I did. I hope this lasts a long time.

Last night, I worked on my pull ups for the first time in forever with a new weight belt I made.

I did 10 reps with a plate, which is a PR in weighted pulls for me. I'm still working towards being able to do +100x1, but based on my numbers it may be very possible soon.

Sounds good, I'd like to follow your log if you make one. I've had some shoulder and elbow issues over the past couple of months, but I'm feeling a lot better now, so will be resuming my pull-up training. Hopefully I haven't lost too much strength.

Training logs are always a great idea. You can see trends in your training and understand how to tweak your training more specifically. You can also easily see how far that you've come in a given amount of time.

• 2 months later...

Making some progress with the weighted pull ups.

I'll be attempting 80#s tonight, with my previous max being 75#s.

Will check back later on this.

Glad to people still making progress, I'm just getting back into training after quite a while out because of injury/work commitments. First goal is to get back to being able to do weighted chins without elbow pain. Going to start with 5 sets of 8 reps with 5kg extra. Do that for 3 workouts, then move to 10kg using same formula and keep adding 5kg every three workouts until I hit 25kg. Then I'll start lowering the reps slightly as the weight increases. Hopefully this will get me back to chinning with an extra 50kg within a couple of months.

New PR! Hit a 206# pull up today with 80#s weight and 126 BW.

Hope they accept the attempt as valid over at the pull up contest thread, it's not the best video ever but it was a legit rep.

Next attempt will be 85#s weighted for a total of almost 100 kilos!

Glad to be getting my strength back up.

Nordic Power!

it was this one I was supposed to share.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. That guy is an absolute machine. Both in terms of hand/grip strength and pure pulling power. I'm still easing myself back into training, and had an unexpected but very welcome surprise yesterday. Thought I'd try a OAC on my doorway pull-up bar, which is chromed and not particularly easy to grip. For the first time I managed to go from deadhang and actually start the pulling movement rather than just dangling helplessly. Got my arm to about 90 degrees and could hold that position but go no higher. Will post a video of my next attempt in a few days. Anyone else find the second half of the chin the hardest? And anyone got any advice on how best to strengthen this part - I was thinking of doing some weighted half reps, focussing on the second part of the movement, bit worried that it's going to be rough on my elbows though.

Start with a lock off hold. Two hands to the top then gently release one and with a strong position hold the top position with one arm. Get good and comfortable with these then work on lowering to the 90. 30second lock off hold is decent target with bodyweight. Just as you said part of this is for joint conditioning. Also remember what the rest of your body is doing, don't leg your legs flail all loose on you.

Start with a lock off hold. Two hands to the top then gently release one and with a strong position hold the top position with one arm. Get good and comfortable with these then work on lowering to the 90. 30second lock off hold is decent target with bodyweight. Just as you said part of this is for joint conditioning. Also remember what the rest of your body is doing, don't leg your legs flail all loose on you.

Thanks very much for the advice! I'll start with the lock off work on alternate sessions with weighted pull-ups. Judging by your profile image you have some kind of circus training? Looks very cool.

Thanks! I have a bit not too much actually. Mostly self taught with advice from a couple friends who have more training than me. I'm hoping to take more in the future once funds allow. Until then, practice, practice and more practice. I do a lot of gymnastic strength style training.

The picture is a meathook done on a ring, my extension has improved since that was taken.

Edited by NBranson

Thanks! I have a bit not too much actually. Mostly self taught with advice from a couple friends who have more training than me. I'm hoping to take more in the future once funds allow. Until then, practice, practice and more practice. I do a lot of gymnastic strength style training.

The picture is a meathook done on a ring, my extension has improved since that was taken.

Is this THE nordic viking?!?!??!