One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

That is pretty flashy (imo) but I'm sure the people around him are purposely ignoring him. I've had people glance at me while doing heavy chins and purposely look away and ignore me, same for the guys at my gym who pull and squat heavy. It's almost like they think we're looking for attention and try not to give us any, haha.

Here's a good one. He claims 15 straight one arm pullups, the video shows 12. Apparently he can also do a single rep with +80lb.

I think he's right up there with Jasper Benincasa and Gilbert Neville in terms of chinning strength.

http://vbox7.com/play:338352a4e2

I remember before I began training. I had a friend that could 1AC, what must have been 10 solid reps each hand, with completely control on the spin and from what I remember kept his body relatively square... and my basic attitude was like... okay. I had no idea and didn't recognize the talent.

In my experience... it's not like that in the gym at my school, although I'm not doubting you for one second. I remember doing a walk out with 500lbs, people almost shit themselves, and I would hear people talking about it everytime I went back in there... a walk out, not even a 1/4 squat. Then again these are the guys that bench 135lbs every day for like a zillion reps then curl themselves to death.

All of those vids are pretty incredible. The explosive quickness of the first couple of reps of the last video... :blink

I find that when i do explosive muscle-ups or weighted chins with 2 or 3 kettlebells hanging from a belt, i get a lot of people staring at me. If i do slow muscle-ups or adv tuck FL pull-ups, i get fewer stares. Go figure.

As regards progression of FL, BL and PL. Coach Sommer suggests that you start with the BL and then once you have a good base with that (not necessarily the full BL, but at least a good German Hang) then you can start with planche and FL progressions - the BL work helps to prep the elbows, helps them deal with the stresses of PL in particular, and the PL and BL help prepare elbows for the cross... not that i would have any experience of that lol :blush

Im currently doing an internship, so training is having to take a backseat - i don't have access to a proper gym, so continuing to work volume pull-ups - nowhere to do muscle ups sadly.

That is pretty flashy (imo) but I'm sure the people around him are purposely ignoring him. I've had people glance at me while doing heavy chins and purposely look away and ignore me, same for the guys at my gym who pull and squat heavy. It's almost like they think we're looking for attention and try not to give us any, haha.

Here's a good one. He claims 15 straight one arm pullups, the video shows 12. Apparently he can also do a single rep with +80lb.

I think he's right up there with Jasper Benincasa and Gilbert Neville in terms of chinning strength.

http://vbox7.com/play:338352a4e2

I remember before I began training. I had a friend that could 1AC, what must have been 10 solid reps each hand, with completely control on the spin and from what I remember kept his body relatively square... and my basic attitude was like... okay. I had no idea and didn't recognize the talent.

In my experience... it's not like that in the gym at my school, although I'm not doubting you for one second. I remember doing a walk out with 500lbs, people almost shit themselves, and I would hear people talking about it everytime I went back in there... a walk out, not even a 1/4 squat. Then again these are the guys that bench 135lbs every day for like a zillion reps then curl themselves to death.

Pretty much the same at my school especially cause we don't have a football team. One of my friends does a lot of musclups and for some reason that always gets the most attention. But still, people will look then look away like they don't want to get caught... lol.

It's hilarious, before I got my power rack. I would sometimes go in for two deadlifting sessions; one before my classes began then after my classes for the day. I swear to god... there was a guy in there that had been doing curls for the entire three hours that I wasn't there and was still curling when I left after the second session... LOL!!!

Edited by hellswindstaff

After neglecting pre-hab exercises for about 2 weeks, my left elbow is feeling a bit beat up. I'm taking a de-load week from all max and circa-max work and going to do a bunch of pre-hab... hopefully when I come back then I will have supercompensated, but we will have to see. So demarco, you were right that I would have to take one, but I still think that it can be done if pre-hab is never neglected... because the volume is 35 reps a week and that's doable right?

As regards progression of FL, BL and PL. Coach Sommer suggests that you start with the BL and then once you have a good base with that (not necessarily the full BL, but at least a good German Hang) then you can start with planche and FL progressions - the BL work helps to prep the elbows, helps them deal with the stresses of PL in particular, and the PL and BL help prepare elbows for the cross... not that i would have any experience of that lol :blush

Do you know a system of progression for the cross?

After neglecting pre-hab exercises for about 2 weeks, my left elbow is feeling a bit beat up. I'm taking a de-load week from all max and circa-max work and going to do a bunch of pre-hab... hopefully when I come back then I will have supercompensated, but we will have to see. So demarco, you were right that I would have to take one, but I still think that it can be done if pre-hab is never neglected... because the volume is 35 reps a week and that's doable right?

Short answer is no.

Long answer is that once you really have the BL down to a tee and have worked on it for a while to get the strength of elbows and bicep tendons up, you should also have some good lat strength from FL, and PL work (and weighted/OApulls in our case). The first step is to watch a video on hand, elbow, shoulder positioning, which is not intuitive as far as a can tell - YouTube search about a bit. As far as the actual skill itself is concerned, the three progressions that i'm aware of are thus:

1) Start out with inverted cross-pulls and partials with dumbbells hanging upside down from a bar. Use dumbbells that you can handle a bit of volume with to begin and work up until you can do perform a negative and hold at 90 degrees for 10-15 secs with 40% BW in each hand.

2) Start to do partial negatives on rings - go down as far as you can control, and hold for time, gradually go lower as you get stronger.

3) Full cross work, using elbow supports and/or therabands to decrease the load enough for you to do the motion.

Those would be my suggestions based on what i know, in order of increasing difficulty. However, the cross isn't even on my radar yet, need to spend some more time in the BL and get my FL and adv tuck PL first, so i'm no expert. If you're thinking about training for it, my advice is to head over the GymnasticBodies forum, loads of great advice over there.

That guy, the armwrestler doing the reps with his left arm.... he does the fastest one armers I've ever seen. The first few reps, thes speed during the ascent is just ridiculous.

Short answer is no.

Long answer is that once you really have the BL down to a tee and have worked on it for a while to get the strength of elbows and bicep tendons up, you should also have some good lat strength from FL, and PL work (and weighted/OApulls in our case). The first step is to watch a video on hand, elbow, shoulder positioning, which is not intuitive as far as a can tell - YouTube search about a bit. As far as the actual skill itself is concerned, the three progressions that i'm aware of are thus:

1) Start out with inverted cross-pulls and partials with dumbbells hanging upside down from a bar. Use dumbbells that you can handle a bit of volume with to begin and work up until you can do perform a negative and hold at 90 degrees for 10-15 secs with 40% BW in each hand.

2) Start to do partial negatives on rings - go down as far as you can control, and hold for time, gradually go lower as you get stronger.

3) Full cross work, using elbow supports and/or therabands to decrease the load enough for you to do the motion.

Those would be my suggestions based on what i know, in order of increasing difficulty. However, the cross isn't even on my radar yet, need to spend some more time in the BL and get my FL and adv tuck PL first, so i'm no expert. If you're thinking about training for it, my advice is to head over the GymnasticBodies forum, loads of great advice over there.

It's not even on my long term goal list yet. LOL. I'm still kind of pissy about the planche!

That guy, the armwrestler doing the reps with his left arm.... he does the fastest one armers I've ever seen. The first few reps, thes speed during the ascent is just ridiculous.

That video with Georgi? Yeah his speed is frightening. Of course, he claims he's done 15 and someone who can do 15 pullups can bang the first few out pretty quickly.

He might be able to do more one arm pullups than anyone else, ever. I think that Jasper Benincasa did 20something but those were chins and he switched arms every rep. Still awesome though.

One of my friends used to do 'iron cross dips' on the rings--go from the top position of a dip down to a cross position, then back up--with his feet in front of him on a box (legs perpendicular to torso and parallel to the floor). I think this would be a useful exercise for iron cross prep. Maybe over time one could progress to doing the same thing but standing on a resistance band, then slowly decrease band assistance?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm posting a video I made here later tonight or tomorrow morning... youtube permit.

It's definitely something to look forward to as it's the video I promised oh so long ago, about my secret weapon that's given me so much progress.

In addition to that, I'll show my progression thus far.

Hope I get to put it up asap. The video is already done, and it's a bit rushed, but you'll get some great info about a great training tool for this.

Cheers!

dude that is a really good idea... much better than my bathroom scale idea.

5lbs?!?!?! You're probably ultra-close now... like one week away or something. How long have you been training for this?

You're looking pretty swole btw.

Yeah I've actually tried the bathroom scale too, but it never worked since I had a digital one. Staying in place for 5 secs while doing a 1APU is hard. :glare:

Honestly, the 5lbs was just because I didn't reset the scale prior, since I thought I would be using more help than that anyways.

In reality I was surprised because I felt myself barely even using help at all, maybe a pound or two at most. It was my best attempt so far, but I hope I can top it real soon with a legit 1APU.

I find this funny because I am 60 pounds heavier than him, and he called me skinny, lol

• Like 1

Not in a few years. It really is a pretty elusive feat, although it seems that once you gain the ability, you retain it.

I find this funny because I am 60 pounds heavier than him, and he called me skinny, lol

Thanks for pointing that out, I do see the humor in it.

Of course, to put it into context, you are a beast, David.

Edited by TentacleGrip

have you even been training the 1AC as of late?

If this was adressed to me, I haven't been training at all for about two weeks, and even before then I was not doing 1APU specific workouts, although I did do many pull ups.

I contribute my success to losing weight, but still working my pulling from regular pull ups and AW practice/training.

Last but not least is the 2 weeks of rest I got. Rest always seems to do me great.

Thanks for pointing that out, I do see the humor in it.

Of course, to put it into context, you are a beast, David.

@thewalrus: I dont remember calling anyone skinny, and if I did then I'm sure that I didn't mean it offensively. He put on some muscle since we first talked... from what I remember.

yes... and by "he put on some muscle" I meant tentaclegrip

Edited by hellswindstaff

so dead after that final... don't even care... I'll check later. I know it's at least a week or two