One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

Hardgainers do exist, because metabolisms differ. I've netted 4000 cals a day on average when I try to gain, without avail. My body fat is 3%, with or without exercise.

The only way I've gained weight in my history of training is through taking in lots of fatty foods. Currently I'm drinking at least a half gallon of whole milk every day. It works for me.

It's Common- The People

I think there are 'hardgainers', but of course they can get bigger too, it just takes more effort. For me, I don't really put on any weight unless I'm getting a lot of sleep (9+ hours in a day) drink a ton of milk, especially chocolate milk, and stuff myself with food constantly throughout the day.

I don't know that anyone other than competitive bodybuilders has 3% bodyfat, but I am pretty lean even when I eat a bunch of fattier foods.

In other news--got the OAC with my left arm. Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfbNQQqVSI

3%BF? I once read this:

In naturals, at 3-4% BF level, testosterone levels have bottomed out (often at castrate levels), so sex drive would be at zero, thyroid levels are bottomed out, sns output is down (calorie and fat burning are down, hunger IS WAY UP), cortisol is through the roof. Your body is turning off every system (immune, metabolic, reproductive), to keep you alive. You are basically starving to death, so however you think a starved child in africa would feel, that's how you should have felt.

At 3%BF you would have striated GLUTES. Now, I don't want pictures or proof of this (LOL), but are you really going around claiming 3%BF? ;)

At 3%BF you would have striated GLUTES. Now, I don't want pictures or proof of this (LOL), but are you really going around claiming 3%BF? ;)

I've met him, and he definitely has a really low BF %. But seriously, I promise you that you will gain size if you constantly shovel (good) food in your mouth all day every day. It is physically impossible for you to not gain size doing this, unless you literally crap out the same amount you just ate after every meal.

Edited by thewalrus

Then perhaps tentaclegrip is a good candidate to try out Dave Tate's famous method. Google Dave Tate Pizza Story.

Man I wish I had that "hardgainer" issue. :-)

3% BF?!?!?!??! You're spinal cord probably doesn't even have the protective fat!!! That's ridiculous.

Agreed with thewalrus...

"It is physically impossible for you to not gain size doing this, unless you literally crap out the same amount you just ate after every meal."

If you're literally taking in 6000calories/ day and you recently started, judging by your bodyweight, then I bet you have severe stomach aches and a ton of gas. If you're not taking a food log this you really aren't going to know. Also, if you don't gradually increase your caloric intake then you'll be bloating and gassy.

You should check out Mike Mentzers "Heavy Duty Nutrition". If there is one thing that bodybuilders know how to do, it's to gain and lose weight.

I think there are 'hardgainers', but of course they can get bigger too, it just takes more effort. For me, I don't really put on any weight unless I'm getting a lot of sleep (9+ hours in a day) drink a ton of milk, especially chocolate milk, and stuff myself with food constantly throughout the day.

I don't know that anyone other than competitive bodybuilders has 3% bodyfat, but I am pretty lean even when I eat a bunch of fattier foods.

In other news--got the OAC with my left arm. Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfbNQQqVSI

Great work, man! I agree with what you're saying there.

I've met him, and he definitely has a really low BF %. But seriously, I promise you that you will gain size if you constantly shovel (good) food in your mouth all day every day. It is physically impossible for you to not gain size doing this, unless you literally crap out the same amount you just ate after every meal.

@Arturo, maybe 3% isn't correct but it's the number my health prof in high school gave me after measuring me with calipers, since body fat scanners never work on me from being too low in BF. She tried admitting me to the nurse for anorexia, but the problem is, I eat like a mofo.

@David I've been gaining, been eating as much as possible. Did you go to the Texas State comp?

Hellswindstaff, not 6000, 4000.

I should definitely check out that book.

Btw wasn't Bruce Lee at 1%?

Bruce Lee at 1%? You'd have some sort of skin condition at that level of bodyfat. And since there are leaner bodybuilders and none of them have ever claimed 1%, no, he wasn't.

Bodyfat is a weird thing, especially now with everyone wanting to be "Under 8%" or "6%" or whatever, and with several different ways of measuring it. But really what's the purpose of measuring anyway? I don't get it....

@Arturo, maybe 3% isn't correct but it's the number my health prof in high school gave me after measuring me with calipers, since body fat scanners never work on me from being too low in BF. She tried admitting me to the nurse for anorexia, but the problem is, I eat like a mofo.

@David I've been gaining, been eating as much as possible. Did you go to the Texas State comp?

Anorexia, lol dude, really I wish I had that problem. It seems "hardgainers" are the guys who have the most success getting huge and staying lean :D

Hellswindstaff, not 6000, 4000.

I should definitely check out that book.

Btw wasn't Bruce Lee at 1%?

Dude, come on! I'm not hatin' I was just trying to educate a bit on the subject. People going around claiming 2-3% BF on a daily basis have no idea. At 5% you'd have ripped GLUTES. Does your lower back and butt look like this? http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ioIB99jtAnY/S7JnoGnZTlI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/B_QgG4gqeoQ/s320/ripped+glutes.jpg

And yeah those calipers are never 100% accurate. I'm not saying you're something like 12% but believe me, chances of anyone walkign around living life normally at 3%BF are slim to none.

Arturo... agreed.

TentacleGrip. I used to weight 145 and currently weigh 180-185. That is the book that helped me get there. Also, in the book he uses a ridiculously small caloric increase, but you don't have to do that just take the principle and run with it. I'm 100% positive that there is a pdf or two floating around online.

p.s.- I just did grip GPP and jesus christ its hard to type!!!

Arturo... agreed.

TentacleGrip. I used to weight 145 and currently weigh 180-185. That is the book that helped me get there. Also, in the book he uses a ridiculously small caloric increase, but you don't have to do that just take the principle and run with it. I'm 100% positive that there is a pdf or two floating around online.

p.s.- I just did grip GPP and jesus christ its hard to type!!!

Thanks for the info brother, I'll see if I can download the book.

What's the GPP workout?

Everyone who recently responded to this thread:

I'm quite ignorant about training and strength still, and don't have too much knowledge about it. Sorry for the stir.

Complaining about weight gain isn't going to get me anywhere, so I'm gonna quit bitchin' and go eat a pizza and a cow now.

I'll be back when I've actually made some progress in my 1APU. Thanks.

Also, a 13 pound increase since January is decent progress...Didn't you start at like 120? Gaining size just takes time and dedication...when you work hard good things happen. To me it doesn't sound like you're a "hardgainer" (not that I really believe these exist without hormone issues), you probably just didn't eat much before. You've already made some good progress by the sounds of it, just keep it up.

13lbs in 2-3 months is pretty good man. Don't be put off if you get some fat... not a ton but some fat. You can just shed it off later.

GPP means general physical preparedness. Basically it's just a small workout to increase blood flow... thus recovery.

As far as mass gaining goes, i put on weight a little too easy for my liking, but in order to gain mass and maximise the effect of your workouts, make sure that you get some protein and carbs in immediately after you workout. Its not just about how much you eat, when you eat is crucial too.

• Like 1

Patrick... that's what they say but then again I gained 40lbs while intermediate fasting (fruit for breakfast and huge meal at night) and no food only liquids on sundays. I think that's an old wives tale tbh.

He's hiding his hand... FAKE! That pull up bar has been tampered with!!!

[obvioiusly that's sarcasm and reference to grippers.]

I'll be moving down the towel again by one fist in the next week or so with no signs of having to take a break.

Had a go at maximum reps for pull-ups a few days ago for the first time in a long time, i managed to get about 16 good reps followed immediately by 4 reps with a bit of a kip to make it up to 20. Might have managed a couple more, but form would have gone totally out of the window. Interesting to see that my max reps is increasing with my max strength, despite no endurance work, presumably due to the fact that each bodyweight rep is getting further and further below my max strength output and so it is becoming easier to do multiple reps with no additional weight.

On the training front, i've been on holiday recently in the states, and haven't been able to train much, but my one arm hangs are definitely improving, when i manage to get to 10 second hangs on both arms i'll start some work with a towel.