One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

A 25lb counterweight... is that accurate? I mean, that's roughly equivalent to having to increase your two arm) weighted chin by 50lb. Pretty far away--not to mention that since you seem pretty good at the towel variety you should be able to do a one-armer with less than 25lb assistance. idk.

I have a sort of mini-article that I wrote up for the bwc website about my OAC work, if you guys want some extra ideas in here....

I didn't really max out, just threw a 25lbs plate on it... it was hard, although I don't think that it was max. Oh and I've had virtually no elbow pain or shoulder pain ;).

Edited by hellswindstaff

I've reached the end of the towel... and no success at the one arm chin. I'm going to cycle backwards on the towel and drop once a week switching hand positions everyday until I can achieve it.

I've reached the end of the towel... and no success at the one arm chin. I'm going to cycle backwards on the towel and drop once a week switching hand positions everyday until I can achieve it.

What do you mean by cycling backwards?

going to an easier progression... because gains arent linear they are cyclical.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Not all the way just a few notches. It's like going from 100% 1RM back to 70% 1RM then moving back up to 100% over a certain period of time.

so like...

week1 @ 70% 1RM

week2 @ 80%1RM

week3 @ 90%1RM

week4 @ 100%1RM

note: those are just arbitrary percentages and I have no idea what percentage going up one notch on the towel is except that the farther up I go the easier it gets.

p.s. - Of course my goal is to get the one arm chin, but at this point I kind of want to show that g2g and the towel method will get you there and without using weights.

Well if you've gotten to the bottom of the towel but it hasn't done anything why would you try to succeed just by cycling back to where you are now?

If 100% on the towel doesn't bring you success this time why would be any different next time....

If you're adamant on continuing with this progression (and I do believe it can work--my two arguments are that the towel isn't as efficient as weights/partials, and that you cannot GTG only-one-arm-on-a-bar progressions unless you can do OACs and are very strong with them already) ... you need a new plan of attack.

As long as you're cycling back, maybe use a longer towel this time, or only hold onto the towel with 2-3 fingers, or something like that. Anything to make it harder so that 100% this cycle is more than 100% last cycle.

Well if you've gotten to the bottom of the towel but it hasn't done anything why would you try to succeed just by cycling back to where you are now?

If 100% on the towel doesn't bring you success this time why would be any different next time....

If you're adamant on continuing with this progression (and I do believe it can work--my two arguments are that the towel isn't as efficient as weights/partials, and that you cannot GTG only-one-arm-on-a-bar progressions unless you can do OACs and are very strong with them already) ... you need a new plan of attack.

As long as you're cycling back, maybe use a longer towel this time, or only hold onto the towel with 2-3 fingers, or something like that. Anything to make it harder so that 100% this cycle is more than 100% last cycle.

lolz

lolz

Something funny there bud? Care to share?

I tried doing muscle-ups today.

I've tried doing them once before, but because I was isolating in fashion of pull ups, I couldn't do any before.

But today, I learned to swing more and could pull off 5 reps.

I'm still far from doing 1APUs but getting stronger.

I've tried doing them once before, but because I was isolating in fashion of pull ups, I couldn't do any before.

That rules. You'll be competing with Hannibal soon!

I just read something stating that weight 2ACs emphasis the lats to a much larger degree, but 1ACs emphasize the arms to a much greater degree, and there isn't as much of a carry-over between the two as most people think. Can anyone that has achieved the 1AC attest to any of this?

Awesome!

Once you get a bit stronger with weighted chins (close to oac), you should be able to do musclups without any swing....

I just read something stating that weight 2ACs emphasis the lats to a much larger degree, but 1ACs emphasize the arms to a much greater degree, and there isn't as much of a carry-over between the two as most people think.

...Short answer, yes. (ime)

Edited by demarcoa

Yeah, I can almost make the movement while isolated but can't clear the top of the bar yet.

This reminds me, I've seen a crazy video on youtube of a gymnast going from a one arm muscle up to a one arm handstand!!

Yeah I like that website, Matt.

That's how I first came upon the idea that I should learn 1APUs.

Yeah... site rules.

On a side note: His idea is that horizontal holds should be mastered in this order.

Back Lever => Front Lever => Planche

interesting....

Yeah I remember Jim saying that... I wonder why, I think coach summers advises people to start working on front lever+planche at the same time.

The one arm musclup+one arm handstand video is awesome.

[media=]

^I heard someone say he posts on here....

Edited by demarcoa

The person in the second video posts here under the name Ivarboneless. He has a long log dating back to 2006 with detailed training information.

This is my favorite pullup video

Yeah I remember Jim saying that... I wonder why, I think coach summers advises people to start working on front lever+planche at the same time.

The one arm muscle up+one arm handstand video is awesome.

The beastskillz guy says that is the order of difficulty of the moves. My assumption would be that the prime movers adapt to that level of tension in a similar range of motion... although the force is obviously applied completely differently. So the easier move aides in completing the more difficult moves.

The person in the second video posts here under the name Ivarboneless. He has a long log dating back to 2006 with detailed training information.

[media=]

How is it there not a crowd of people around him? Even if I saw him in the gym everyday, I still think I'd have to stop. That's just sick.

[media=]

How is it there not a crowd of people around him? Even if I saw him in the gym everyday, I still think I'd have to stop. That's just sick.

^My thoughts exactly.

[media=]

^My thoughts exactly.

Because it's not flashy, and people don't understand real talent unless it's embellished on tv.

That is pretty flashy (imo) but I'm sure the people around him are purposely ignoring him. I've had people glance at me while doing heavy chins and purposely look away and ignore me, same for the guys at my gym who pull and squat heavy. It's almost like they think we're looking for attention and try not to give us any, haha.

Here's a good one. He claims 15 straight one arm pullups, the video shows 12. Apparently he can also do a single rep with +80lb.

I think he's right up there with Jasper Benincasa and Gilbert Neville in terms of chinning strength.

http://vbox7.com/play:338352a4e2

If he can do a single 1APU rep with 80#s, he's as strong on 1APUs as I am on my normal ones...

I have a lot of catching up to do with these guys.