Arnolds Sorinex Mighty Mitts It's On!

1stCoC

It is still very much a thickbar contest. Hopefully we will see pinch lifting featured as an event in its own right (eg farmers walk with 45's).

Thickbar c. 55%

Wrist c. 25-30%

Pinch c. 11-12%

Crush c. 3%

Vertical c. 3%

And it is logical that so many thick bars. In the Golden Age of Strong's most competitions were with thick bars, and bending, there was little pinch. This competition is consistent with the spirit of the era. David Horn is actively developing its grip pinch, and competition based on it, and quite a lot in a year - and these events provide thick bar, and they occur once a year, so everything is harmonious.

the events are also appealing to an audience. this wasn't suggested but could you imagine watching the euro 2hp if you had no idea what it was or how hard it was? people want to see big weights lifted and fatbar lends itself to that.

Edited by bubba29

there's no way on earth 2hp could be done as it is in NAGS grip comps. however, there could be the farmers with 2x45(good idea). there could also be a pinch deadlift for reps on a saxon bar. the saxon bar would be easy for the crowd to see what it was.

there's no way on earth 2hp could be done as it is in NAGS grip comps. however, there could be the farmers with 2x45(good idea). there could also be a pinch deadlift for reps on a saxon bar. the saxon bar would be easy for the crowd to see what it was.

What about passing 2-45's back and forth around your body as many times as possible, do you guys think the audience would like this? Obviously using two 45's that competitors could get, not those Very Fat ones that few men can even get off the ground. I really dislike events where most competitors just fail and can't even get a good rep (Like the Monster barbell).

If you can't do farmers walk with 2x45's in each hand you have no place in the toughest grip comp on the planet. Passing 45's around the body is hard but looks a bit ...

You would think that the winner of Arnold's should have the strongest allround grip rather than having the strongest thickbar strength. Jedd for example is probably never going to beat Andrew as the competition does not emphasize thumb strength to a great degree.

And it is logical that so many thick bars. In the Golden Age of Strong's most competitions were with thick bars, and bending, there was little pinch. This competition is consistent with the spirit of the era. David Horn is actively developing its grip pinch, and competition based on it, and quite a lot in a year - and these events provide thick bar, and they occur once a year, so everything is harmonious.

there's no way on earth 2hp could be done as it is in NAGS grip comps. however, there could be the farmers with 2x45(good idea).

Yeah, that was a good idea (Mikael). Has this ever been done before in a contest?

Despite the leaning towards Thickbar, let's face it, this time it was many steps closer to traditional tests of "grip", and was a fine contest.

The Pinch farmer's walk would indeed be nice now that I think of it. And hopefully everyone can walk with them, itwould be sad if the pinch itself wasso hard that 2 out of 10 men actually took 1 step with them.

If that was the case then it would confirm what some of us suspect. I have competed against a fair number of strongmen in grip and in general thickbar is their best event.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

If you can't do farmers walk with 2x45's in each hand you have no place in the toughest grip comp on the planet. Passing 45's around the body is hard but looks a bit ...

Yes, its hard. Only two mens maybe possible this. Shaw and Snook. Shaw lift 3 35-lbs plate one hand, Snook easy snatch 30 k blob, and double lift 30 k blobs. Also Chad, Wade and Jedd maybe, but i dont know.I would be very interesting to see this exercise in some competition.

Edited by Kashtan

I am finally able to focus after endless 14 hour days getting ready for this event and expanding our business at the same time. Every bit was fun, challenging, and exciting. I can't say enough about the quality of the compertitiors their effort and how WELL the contest was received by thousands. More thousands came through our booth to see, touch, and feel the event and other grip tools and to talk training with the aspiring to become brothers and sisters in grip. My crew, in particular my son and resident stud horses Jason Cyborg Lawson and Joe "Bosco" Wilson and an his loveley #2 certified wife Adriane all gave it their best to welcome the throngs. A real highlight was when Arnold "just appeared" with his extensive security with his tall actor friend Rolf Mueller (giant in movie Gladiator) spotted our Monster bell and came over to see, touch, and comment on the value of old time equipment,grip strength, and training. He floored us when he sugessted we take a group picture something I just don't see him do . Beyond gracious! Then, in a flash he was whisked away by his securityu to a secreted location.

We are inspired and in awe of each and every Mighty Mitts competitor , the improved balance of the events and seeing some things done that seemingly are easy now appreciated a bit more by the competitors AND crowd alike. The Millstone something I never saw fully one hand lifted was doable in my estimation but stopped them ALL. The Blobs (standard Fatmen) seemed to give everyone "a fit" and my easy feat when I trained it, the York hub turned out to be a total "bear". My thanks to one and all for all they did to help the sport we all care so much about to move forward in a positive way on a worldwide platform. If I have the ability next year it will get bigger, AND better. Many thanks to Jedd, and Wannagrip for videos. We will be putting up literally hundreds of photos and vid loops on a site we are creating Mightymittscontest.com My deepest thanks to one and all that made this happen ! Richard Sorin

• Like 1

I am finally able to focus after endless 14 hour days getting ready for this event and expanding our business at the same time. Every bit was fun, challenging, and exciting. I can't say enough about the quality of the compertitiors their effort and how WELL the contest was received by thousands. More thousands came through our booth to see, touch, and feel the event and other grip tools and to talk training with the aspiring to become brothers and sisters in grip. My crew, in particular my son and resident stud horses Jason Cyborg Lawson and Joe "Bosco" Wilson and an his loveley #2 certified wife Adriane all gave it their best to welcome the throngs. A real highlight was when Arnold "just appeared" with his extensive security with his tall actor friend Rolf Mueller (giant in movie Gladiator) spotted our Monster bell and came over to see, touch, and comment on the value of old time equipment,grip strength, and training. He floored us when he sugessted we take a group picture something I just don't see him do . Beyond gracious! Then, in a flash he was whisked away by his securityu to a secreted location. We are inspired and in awe of each and every Mighty Mitts competitor , the improved balance of the events and seeing some things done that seemingly are easy now appreciated a bit more by the competitors AND crowd alike. The Millstone something I never saw fully one hand lifted was doable in my estimation but stopped them ALL. The Blobs (standard Fatmen) seemed to give everyone "a fit" and my easy feat when I trained it, the York hub turned out to be a total "bear". My thanks to one and all for all they did to help the sport we all care so much about to move forward in a positive way on a worldwide platform. If I have the ability next year it will get bigger, AND better. Many thanks to Jedd, and Wannagrip for videos. We will be putting up literally hundreds of photos and vid loops on a site we are creating Mightymittscontest.com My deepest thanks to one and all that made this happen ! Richard Sorin

thx for all your time and efforts. i am curious how many people tried to qualify as the dark horse.

All went well, Richard. A great event with excellent exercises. Dark Horse had to compress the dynamometer? What he has shown? And I am very interested in exactly how much distance Participants were with dumbbells inch, and who showed how to Wrist Roller.

I am finally able to focus after endless 14 hour days getting ready for this event and expanding our business at the same time. Every bit was fun, challenging, and exciting. I can't say enough about the quality of the compertitiors their effort and how WELL the contest was received by thousands. More thousands came through our booth to see, touch, and feel the event and other grip tools and to talk training with the aspiring to become brothers and sisters in grip. My crew, in particular my son and resident stud horses Jason Cyborg Lawson and Joe "Bosco" Wilson and an his loveley #2 certified wife Adriane all gave it their best to welcome the throngs. A real highlight was when Arnold "just appeared" with his extensive security with his tall actor friend Rolf Mueller (giant in movie Gladiator) spotted our Monster bell and came over to see, touch, and comment on the value of old time equipment,grip strength, and training. He floored us when he sugessted we take a group picture something I just don't see him do . Beyond gracious! Then, in a flash he was whisked away by his securityu to a secreted location.

We are inspired and in awe of each and every Mighty Mitts competitor , the improved balance of the events and seeing some things done that seemingly are easy now appreciated a bit more by the competitors AND crowd alike. The Millstone something I never saw fully one hand lifted was doable in my estimation but stopped them ALL. The Blobs (standard Fatmen) seemed to give everyone "a fit" and my easy feat when I trained it, the York hub turned out to be a total "bear". My thanks to one and all for all they did to help the sport we all care so much about to move forward in a positive way on a worldwide platform. If I have the ability next year it will get bigger, AND better. Many thanks to Jedd, and Wannagrip for videos. We will be putting up literally hundreds of photos and vid loops on a site we are creating Mightymittscontest.com My deepest thanks to one and all that made this happen ! Richard Sorin

It would be easy to write up a page on MM this year but I'll just say a great big Thank You to Richard and all involved for everything that was done for the sport of grip.

There were quit a few legit guys trying for the dark horse about a dozen had an initial dyno squeeze from 90 to 120 kilo which gave them" a chance" to try several other pieces that were there "pre event". There was a huge am. strongman that said he would try but didn't show in time. All were quite pleased with the darkhorse. He "could" have piled up near 5000.00 if he had actually won when it was all said and done.A shame Laine Snook was not in the building he would have been most welcome. Several asked about the millstone (weighed 150), and what pattern was on the 160lb. Circus Bell it was our "mustache logo camo pattern". The blobs were both "Fatmen" first generation Yorks. I had a call from "the powers that be" today and said they were VERY pleased on how the Mighty Mitts was received by the crowd and organizers of the Arnold's Expo. R. Sorin

• Like 2

There were quit a few legit guys trying for the dark horse about a dozen had an initial dyno squeeze from 90 to 120 kilo which gave them" a chance" to try several other pieces that were there "pre event". There was a huge am. strongman that said he would try but didn't show in time. All were quite pleased with the darkhorse. He "could" have piled up near 5000.00 if he had actually won when it was all said and done.A shame Laine Snook was not in the building he would have been most welcome. Several asked about the millstone (weighed 150), and what pattern was on the 160lb. Circus Bell it was our "mustache logo camo pattern". The blobs were both "Fatmen" first generation Yorks. I had a call from "the powers that be" today and said they were VERY pleased on how the Mighty Mitts was received by the crowd and organizers of the Arnold's Expo. R. Sorin

great to hear how well received it was. would be kinda cool to get some body builders up there to try some stuff right before the competitors (of course it may be hard to find volunteers for humiliation). i bet most would humbled by all the contestants including the dark horse. it is hard for some to appreciate how really hard that stuff is. for instance, i have never tried levering. i tried to reproduce the lever in the medley with my 8 pound wood maul. damn was that hard.

Edited by bubba29

There were quit a few legit guys trying for the dark horse about a dozen had an initial dyno squeeze from 90 to 120 kilo which gave them" a chance" to try several other pieces that were there "pre event".

Wow. Those were some pretty strong Hombres! Very impressive.

I am guessing it was Brad Ardrey. He has a big time grip.

I am guessing it was Brad Ardrey. He has a big time grip.

He was one of them.

Yes, after what sounds like such a great event it's a shame the full results don't seem to be available over a week later.