Arnolds Sorinex Mighty Mitts It's On!

1stCoC

As in years prior in early March a grand meeting of men with the the strongest hands in the world will be invited by invitation preceded by a resume supplied to and evaluated by Richard@Sorinex.com. The contest will be a two day affair of one hour sessions being contested in front of on main stage with thousands of eager Arnold's Sport festival onlookers. The contest events will be varied addressing the various components of hand strength. Several events will contain historical based challenges but, with some new and unique. The specific events and the competitor package soon to be announced. There will be 8 total competitors with one of them being a "dark horse" free card offered to the strongest visitor to the sports festival as determined at the Sorinex Mighty Mitts booth. So, even if that one man always "overlooked" will be given a chance at being right in there with the "big boys" perhaps proving HE has the strongest hands in the world. Sorinex will provide additional information on the total purse offered, travel allowance, per diam food expense , room accommodations, meet shirts, and for the overall winner a sponsor bonus package. The contest package will I hope in a fair way generate interest, and supply support for "the best" to prove that they are. Support and a portion of the total prize funds will be given to each and every invited competitor (7) with prize money and sponsor package opportunity allowed for the dark horse as well.. The added support efforts being supplied by Sorinex Mighty Mitts committee to help offset the usual "problems" incurred by attending and traveling to a premier contest. Hopefully,This is still another positive step for the thing we all love to do to be brought into the world wide spotlight of interest and acceptance. Richard Sorin

• Like 1

Great news Richard. This all sounds amazing! Thanks for posting.

Jedd

Looking forward to seeing the events for this year!

I am looking for this to be an entertaining overall test. We are really thinking long and hard on tests of true grip might and crowd interest and support. Any suggestions are very welcome! RS

Hopefully the holiday season has been good for everyone but time "marches" on. We have received several requests for consideration and will conclude the selection process as soon as possible. It is difficult in a way because each year we(grip men/women) do change in our training and specific strength levels and this must be considered as well to have the very best at the time be given a chance.Repeat,!!! if you think you or an associate is truly worthy of competing on this level you must contact us quickly to allow proper evaluation/ selection and allow max training time for all to prepare. In the maintaining of a "history" of the Mighty Mitts the consensus is to have a double Inch Bell deadlift and carry, A deadlift rep with the 500lb, 2" handle Monster bell ( this will be more strictly judged as to be closer during the pulling phase to a powerlifting type deadlift) We are going to involve the Jowett Anvil lift but likely as part of a varied medley of which it is part of but not an entire event. Lastly, depending on stage time a wrist roller based activity will be included as a separate event or depending on time allocation, be part of the "big" medley. In the medley there likely will be pinching ,tearing,twisting, supporting, and crushing strength "tests" included. Some trials that all present should be capable of and "some" well, we hope to see someone do. Any suggestions will be welcome and considered to make this a great experience for competitor and crowd alike. Demonstrating your special skills in front of a crowd of thousands at the largest sports festival in the world (more participants than the Olympics) and being one of the very, very few events with a prize package attached should quicken anyone's pulse! I urge everyone to attend to add their support in an effort to continue to grow interest in grip. RS

Further information (with more unfolding) Sorinex guarantees as the Sponsor of the Mighty Mitts competition a minimum 5000.00 prize to be divided between the 8 competiors, Top winner to have an additional 1500.00 value sponsorship offer from sorinex aiding with , future entry, travel, and equipment, clothing costs associated with furthering their grip career,Travel for each of the 7 competitors invited will each receive 300.00 in travel expense, and 200.00 food expense (100.00 each day) reimbursement. and a reserved room paid for ( double occupancy with another Sorinex Mighty Mitts competitor in the "competing athletes" hotel ( all the who's who in strength) for 2 days. Bus travel direct from hotel to venue usually provided by the Arnolds festival show. Few if any events of the dozens of festival events have sponsors giving anything in the way of support or prizes so we do feel if ever a grip man wants to" make their bones" this IS the opportunity! More to follow! RS

Further information (with more unfolding) Sorinex guarantees as the Sponsor of the Mighty Mitts competition a minimum 5000.00 prize to be divided between the 8 competiors, Top winner to have an additional 1500.00 value sponsorship offer from sorinex aiding with , future entry, travel, and equipment, clothing costs associated with furthering their grip career,Travel for each of the 7 competitors invited will each receive 300.00 in travel expense, and 200.00 food expense (100.00 each day) reimbursement. and a reserved room paid for ( double occupancy with another Sorinex Mighty Mitts competitor in the "competing athletes" hotel ( all the who's who in strength) for 2 days. Bus travel direct from hotel to venue usually provided by the Arnolds festival show. Few if any events of the dozens of festival events have sponsors giving anything in the way of support or prizes so we do feel if ever a grip man wants to" make their bones" this IS the opportunity! More to follow! RS

This is all very outstanding and welcomed. Thank you for your continued efforts.

A very large Thank You Richard for stepping up in such a generous manner. The future is coming!

Richard, this is amazing. You are doing an amazing job putting true support behind a contest. It is amazing. Thank you.

I am not done yet..... there is rising interest in the "private/business" sector that may add to the opportunity provided.RS

It did occur to me this morning if there is a man to close and certify on the #4 at the Arnold's as many have hinted, That would be a great "dark horse" opportunity for him to do the 4 , be #1 to qualify at the Sorinex dark horse( crush being a main considered test), Then, prove his might, win some money, and get even more famous on the Arnold Mighty Mitts stage! RS

I propose to use in medley PDA 3-inch handle dumbbell 181 lbs and Circus dumbell 202 lbs. Also use the MDB. Millennium dumbell.

Ok, As it stands the gentlemen we wish to have at the Mighty Mitts Sorinex contest at the Arnold's sports festival are as follows in no specific order. Wade Gillingham, Odd Haugen, Tex Henderson, Jeremy Hogg, Chad Woodall, Andrew Durnait, Jedd Johnson,Rich Williams and the one "walk on" dark horse qualifier that will be given a quick grip dyno test for max squeeze and from results of those who try on Friday morn before 11 at the show in the Sorinex booth will be given their chance for grip fame.The is likely going to be an ongoing dyno testing through the weekend to determine the highest overall squeeze even after the dark horse selection to as according to the Hand Surgeons Society will scientifically "identify" the world's strongest hands . I know there are power lifters, arm wrestlers, strongmen,crossfitters , bodybuilders and purported #4 closers lurking about that can now all have 'their" chance. The events will be Friday and Saturday afternoon with the Inch Bell carry,and Monster Bell Axle deadlift on Friday , On Saturday the medley, ( plate pinching, anvil loading , hub pinch, Blob load,Grip machine crush close, millstone pinch,tearing phone books,Weaver stick rear style hammer lever, and high pull load of a 3'' handle "light" Circus Bell. The finisher event will most likely be a ratchet roller that lifts a progressive heavier load. Thankyou, RS

The hub pinch will be a 45lb old York Olympic plate to be lifted by fingertips and loaded onto a waist/mid chest high(aprox) box. The Blobs will be Original York Fatman which weigh about 52.5 each. Points will be in a "bonus order" for this if the Blobs are loaded one, one right then one left , OR for max points both gripped at same time and loaded together on a lockout height box will offer a point spread to break a potential tie situation. The phone book tear will be a "normal" thick phone book perhaps a Columbus Ohio book that must be torn completely in half. The anvil lift will be 173-185lbs and loaded from the floor one handed by the horn onto a low box More info to follow. Questions welcomed. RS

Ah the Millstone - is this yours Richard? The one you had when I did GGC at Sorinex? If so it's one sweet stone!

The Medley sounds absolutely unreal!!!!

Edited by climber511

That millstone has been tried by many and still sits there undefeated. I think it can be lifted and it might be the one trial that supplies the point that wins the contest! It will be on a light base holding it vertical (it already weighs 150) and turned to the best grip productive zone on the thing (it was hand cut centuries ago). Chad, Andrew, Jedd, Tex, Rich and myself have all tried it. It can be done I think but it won't be easy! RS

Obviously that's with one hand - I did it with two when I was there. One hand will be an incredible feat!

Thanks for the update Richard! Medley sounds gnarly.

We thought about it quite a bit and wanted a combo of grip history, stage presence and testing the grip in many ways.RS

We thought about it quite a bit and wanted a combo of grip history, stage presence and testing the grip in many ways.RS

Richard - is the wrist roller event part of the medley or a separate, 4th event? Will there be anything in the rule for rolling back towards the body (extension) vs. rolling forward away from the body (flexion)?

I think it sounds awesome. Good selection. Good question from Wade.

The roller event was considered as to where it would fit best. It does tax the forearms so much we decided to put it last so every bit of a sustained semi endurance test could be last. If in the medley or on the first days it would I think lower each man's chance of recovery. It will be as a final 4th event. I do want the competitors to be safe and the rules fair so we will try to keep things simple, and limit the extra body English so a fair standard is plainly stated and adhered to. I first and foremost want to test true grip strength and power combined by "the spirit and will" of the man. Skill and forethought is recommended but we will be watching for attempts of "bending the rules in an unfair way".Part of the consideration for people invited was their character as a sportsman. Some things are hard to call(if they are new or novel tasks) and most of these men are quite large so if there are questions before or during the competition please ASK THEM! Everyone was notified at the same time today as to the scope of the contestants and events. If anything changes all will be notified and just have your hands "ready for anything" should the show, venue or our group encounter unexpected problems. RS

Tearing a single phone book in half, unless it is really thick (like Chicago or NYC thick), seems below the strength levels of these guys. I cannot pinch 2 35s or lift a 40lb blob, but I can get through a good sized phone book by popping it. Will you put some sort of twist on it to make it hard on the competitors?

Events sound cool though!