Arnolds Sorinex Mighty Mitts It's On!

1stCoC

Congrats to ALL!!!

Thanks to Jedd for posting the videos and Thanks to Bill for posting the pics!!!

Great job!!! :mosher

Wraps can be used to brace the wrists. Bracing the wrist adds stability that can help a gripper close or leverage event. Not sure about pinch. Jedd was there though and knows his stuff. I trust him if he says the wraps were not being used like that.

The videos are excellent.

ok, i could buy wraps helping in leveraging. could you explain how they would help on grippers?

I do not know why wraps can help, but they can. Ironmind even states in their cert rules that you are not allowed to brace the wrist with the off hand.

http://www.ironmind....les_for_Closing

the ironmind rules say nothing about wraps. if they would help close a gripper you would think they would outlaw them.

The only place I have found that wrist wraps seem to be a real advantage is with levering (at least to me). Sledges - Weaver Stick etc.

Some amazing stuff!!! I'm truly amazed at how fast people were able to motor through the medley in 2 min. That's not just grip strength, but grip power and endurance to do all that.

Let's get this thread back on track with another video. Watch as Mark elix motors through the course in like 30 seconds, strategically getting the points he needs as fast as he can.

Here, Dave Whitley, Mike Bruce and Dennis Rogers entertain the Mighty Mitts audience between events.

What Hub was that, that almost nobody could get?

What are the dimensions of the mill stone that most didn't even care to try seriously?

Some amazing stuff!!! I'm truly amazed at how fast people were able to motor through the medley in 2 min. That's not just grip strength, but grip power and endurance to do all that.

Medleys are the best bro. Entertaining, fun to do, a better test of endurance and ability to use both hands equally. Someone can be good at a couple events but with the variability of a medley the true mastery will be tested.

What's up with that hub?

I was also surprised about the blobs. Was it the platform height and/or were they mean blobs for some reason?

the hub was an old deep dish york. I think. I seem to recall that richard said that's what they were using.

Brent's right - the hub was an old deep dish York.

Also the Blobs were on the slick side. The platform was a bit higher than a deadlift, so it incorporated a rowing motion into it, which made it tougher.

Thanks Jedd. I didn't know the deep yorks were that tough. The Ivankos at my gym have a short and tapered hub and was told they were like the deep yorks.

if they're like the ivanko's at the gym I go to they're kind of the same idea but, different. the ivankos are flared but, not all the way to the top. the yorks are basically flared the whole way. also, the ribs on the york limit hand placement. I don't think I've even tried to hub an ivanko. I'll try to remember to do that thurs and report back.

Thanks Jedd. I didn't know the deep yorks were that tough. The Ivankos at my gym have a short and tapered hub and was told they were like the deep yorks.

if they're like the ivanko's at the gym I go to they're kind of the same idea but, different. the ivankos are flared but, not all the way to the top. the yorks are basically flared the whole way. also, the ribs on the york limit hand placement. I don't think I've even tried to hub an ivanko. I'll try to remember to do that thurs and report back.

This one was pretty tough. I can get mine usually after a few times trying to a full deadlift with the standard grip. We were allowed the dial grip at MM so I went for that. I figured I would get i easy with the dial grip, but my fingertips weren't able to hold on like I needed them to.

Hey guys, Part 1 of my write-up is up at the site: http://www.dieselcrew.com/mighty-mitts-2012-contest-write-up

Still have tons of videos to upload, but I figured I had better get somethin up for all you crazy grip-opaths.

Ok, thanks Brett. Let me know how they compare.

Ok, thanks Brett. Let me know how they compare.

Everybody did a good job at the Mighty Mitt. I got to see the event live my first time.Maybe in the future I compete in the lightweight division.

I was surprised the blobs and hub stopped so many of the competitors. I thought for sure those were going to be "gimme" lifts. From the number of attempts the competitors took, I think they were surprised too!

I've got to think after all the other events, the medley is as much an endurance event as anything else.

I've got to think after all the other events, the medley is as much an endurance event as anything else.

The medley is always like that. After grippers, 2HP and axle it really tests endurance and ability to use both hands. And with the MM events like inch farmers walk and wrist roller (not sure on event order) which are also endurance related, it really tests endurance. It was a small medley though so maybe not?

More Video

Jedd on the Wrist Roller

Jedd on Monster Bell

Malcolm on Double Inches

Malcolm - Wrist Roller

More Video

Jedd on the Wrist Roller

Jedd on Monster Bell

Great write up's I'm seeing your doing and nice on the wrist roller...that looked intense :rock

That Wrist Roller makes my forearms burn just watching it. I think I need to start doing something like that in my training.

There are the full results for the Mighty Mitts?

So far I only found this:

Total Results and scored points:

1. Williams - 33

2. Henderson -32

3. Felix-31

4. Durniat-28

5. Gillingham -24.5

6. Woodall -20

7. Johnson - 18.5

8. Haugen - 15.5

9. Hogg - 11

10. Malcolm - 6.5

Event 1:

INCH DB CARRY -

1. Felix - distance - ? - 10 points

2. Williams - distance - ? - 9 points

3. Henderson - distance - ? - 8 points

4. Durniat - distance - ? - 7 points

5. Woodall - distance - ? - 6 points

6. Gillingham - distance - ? - 5 points

7. Haugen - distance - ? - 4 points

8. Hogg - distance - ? - 4 points

9/10. Johnson - distance - ? - 1.5 points

9/10. Malcolm - distance - ? - 1.5 points

Event 2:

SORIN'S MONSTER DEADLIFT FOR Reps

1. Williams - 6 reps+red last rep

2. Felix - 6 reps+ black last rep

3. Woodall - 0 rep +3 red

4. Henderson - 0 rep + 2 red

5. Durniat - 0 rep + bottom red

6. Hogg - 0 rep + 3 black

7/8. Haugen - 0 rep + 2 black

7/8. Gillingham - 0 rep +2 black

9. Johnson - 0 rep + green

10.Malcolm - 0 rep

Event 3:

GRIP MEDLEY – ?

Evevnt 4:

WRIST ROLLER - ?

It is still very much a thickbar contest. Hopefully we will see pinch lifting featured as an event in its own right (eg farmers walk with 45's).

Thickbar c. 55%

Wrist c. 25-30%

Pinch c. 11-12%

Crush c. 3%

Vertical c. 3%

It is still very much a thickbar contest. Hopefully we will see pinch lifting featured as an event in its own right (eg farmers walk with 45's).

Thickbar c. 55%

Wrist c. 25-30%

Pinch c. 11-12%

Crush c. 3%

Vertical c. 3%

And it is logical that so many thick bars. In the Golden Age of Strong's most competitions were with thick bars, and bending, there was little pinch. This competition is consistent with the spirit of the era. David Horn is actively developing its grip pinch, and competition based on it, and quite a lot in a year - and these events provide thick bar, and they occur once a year, so everything is harmonious.