Arnolds Sorinex Mighty Mitts It's On!

1stCoC

Anytime I've ever seen a phonebook in a grip contest it's grip and rip only, no popping since that defeats the purpose of the grip feat. I'm sure Richard wouldn't allow popping.

Tearing a single phone book in half, unless it is really thick (like Chicago or NYC thick), seems below the strength levels of these guys. I cannot pinch 2 35s or lift a 40lb blob, but I can get through a good sized phone book by popping it. Will you put some sort of twist on it to make it hard on the competitors?

Events sound cool though!

Most importantly, this will play to the crowd. On this type of stage, we are as much entertainers as we are athletes competing. The more the crowd loves the show, the better. The Blob is a better test of strength, but few in the crowd 'know' what a Blob is or can relate to it. Phone books, baseball bats and frying pans get people excited.

The question remains - will popping be allowed? If so, I am going to practice popping to save time. If not, then what techniques will be permitted? Thanks.

The events will be tough and some parts border on the upper end of human ability for even being possible so, something that every one of the competitors can probably do will raise crowd interest and show a bit of flair. If everything is so heavy and hard and the contest is a slow grind only embraced by the few really knowing what they are seeing I think support and interest will wain. Remember, grip will grow by others than grip men being "interested and excited" to see men pit their hands against seemingly unyielding iron. If just some of the crowd says "I liked that" or, "I bet with work I can do that", or "did you see that grip guy lift that anvil" the interest created WILL accomplish our goal. I think if each of us really decided what grip or the "sport of grip means to us things would get even better! RS

To re address "popping" whatever that is. If it entails grabbing a phonebook in two hands held away from the body and the thing is then torn in half thats it. The crowd can decide for themselves the merit of the tear being a sham or something explosively cool to see. If done swiftly with resolve and bravado I am SURE some cheers will be heard!RS

• Like 1

Sounds good.

Question on the Inches - How much tilting is going to be permitted.

Also at one point you mentioned with the Axle you were going to contest that differently this year. Have you explained the details on that yet?

Thanks for the clarifications.

Jedd

In regard to the Inches it was a general agreement to go back to two. The difficulty with big guys that to having the bell come in contact with the body will happen. Unless real heaving and actual carrying with the legs is done, brushing or contact is expected, the bells will be at arms length at the sides. Tilting slight natural few degrees is fine but we all know an obvious droop does change the event and you will be called back for one restart or eventual disqualification if the tilt is deemed" planned in excess". I can't be there with a level but I do have a good eye.

In regards to the axle the Monster bell will be pulled up in conventional deadlift style double overhand but, at the top at the moment it has reached at the top (as is done in training reps we all do) a quick "down" signal will be given.Leaning back will not be required just a fully erect, shoulder set, bar "under control" moment. No resting ,sitting back, leaning bar on body, or purposeful dragging of the bar up as the body supports the bar will be passed. There will be a later decision if a partial lift counts toward any points. Hope this helps a bit . More questions no problem we will try to do the best we can to help everyone do their best.

A question for those that have lifted the Monster Bell,

How does it compare to an Apollon's axle lift? It looks to feel easier pound for pound? Rich repped the Monster but the record is 502 on the axle.

A question for those that have lifted the Monster Bell,

How does it compare to an Apollon's axle lift? It looks to feel easier pound for pound? Rich repped the Monster but the record is 502 on the axle.

Large diameter bells rotate slower but with more torque. The monster bell comes up easier at first than 500 on an axle with conventional plates but once it gets it rotational momentum going it rips you open. Go back to the video of Mark Felix 2 years ago pulling it right to the top but not being able to hold it. I've only seen one man do a legitimate IPF style deadlift with the axle and that is big Rich. If there isn't going to be ramping or hitching I hope the lifter is held at the top to demonstrate full control. The quick downsignal with a simultaneous loss of grip doesn't look good in my opinion.

Could not agree more on this. Most axle lifts passed are sloppy at best. I do however remember seeing Janne Virtanen pulling well over 200k in competition with perfect control of the axle in full lookout position where he held it for some time.

The quick downsignal with a simultaneous loss of grip doesn't look good in my opinion.

Here's a nice example of the popping technique for tearing a phone book. Unless the book is so thick it's hard to V, it is more a test of skill than of strength.

I do not believe the men that are chosen for MM will be spending their time trying to figure out ways to cheat the system per the events. This is a very STRONG group of men and with the addition of the medley and wrist roller event...it should make things very interesting.

Chad Woodall

Good points the "down signal" will be immediate as soon as the bar is finished and in control at the top is established the down will be called because following(3") more reps are to be attempted. If it was a for singles event there would be a longer hold time . I do agree on Wades observation on the Monster Bell and how it reacts it is different than a pipe with weights or axle. Since the Monster resides where no one can train on it and it is unique it allows everyone to train on similar bars prior to the contest. Rich did get the 502 a couple of years ago on an IM brand new axle in a contest and it was as I remember by sight and video a very clean strict lift. I think he was trying about 540 on that IM axle a few weeks ago at the start of his training preparation along with a lot of even thicker(3") bar work.RS

Sorry that 3" typed in the first line was an error.

Good points the "down signal" will be immediate as soon as the bar is finished and in control at the top is established the down will be called because following(3") more reps are to be attempted. If it was a for singles event there would be a longer hold time . I do agree on Wades observation on the Monster Bell and how it reacts it is different than a pipe with weights or axle. Since the Monster resides where no one can train on it and it is unique it allows everyone to train on similar bars prior to the contest. Rich did get the 502 a couple of years ago on an IM brand new axle in a contest and it was as I remember by sight and video a very clean strict lift. I think he was trying about 540 on that IM axle a few weeks ago at the start of his training preparation along with a lot of even thicker(3") bar work.RS

Sorry that 3" typed in the first line was an error.

540 - crazy!

I will try to add bits and pieces as soon as we address each issue. The Lever lift will be a reverse type Weaver stick lift on a metal crafted war hammer. The plate lift will probably be a York powerlifting plate 100lb er perhaps a bit of weight added but most likely just one of the 2" thick hundreds of past years that have a gentle raised sloped raised lip on each side of the plate. Many gyms have them.( it will be just pinch lifted and placed on a box OR there might be a bit of "a twist" added by lifting with one hand passing over to other hand and THEN lowering onto box (devilish) It should be a treat as compared to the mill stone or Original Blobs.

Looks great Richard, I appreciate the details being a "grip nerd".

I believe liquid chalk is IPF legal- Either way, that is a good standard I use when I think about making rules.

Bob, Thanks for the info . This might make the decision easier. Anything used/allowed will be made available to all competitors. As as in years before hands will be checked. Might you be planning to attend the Arnold's show?

Do I know this Jeremy Hogg? He is the only guy on the list right now I do not recognize. Maybe I only know him by first name, not last?

He(Jeremy) is from new Zealand quite strong, impressive physically, and very well versed in thick bar, pinch, and carry. He sent an impressive video to Dr. Todd and as importantly is dead game and with an attitude 100% on grip. 25hours in a plane and a week off of work speaks of "want to" and dedication. I urged everyone from every camp to step forward... and he did with great resolve. We are hopeful for a good showing. The competitors this year have moved mentally to the highest excitment level I have seen yet and some moving grip mountains already. This will be something to see!We are having some reservations on some medley events but we will keep everyone updated as to any changes for the better. RS

Hello Gent I suppose I better introduce myself then ( Its been a bit rude of me), Im a bit of a forum reader and not a writter. My name is Jeremy Hogg from New Zealand but living Australia now like most New Zealanders, Im 6.3 and around 145kg (319lb) at the moment that link about me on the other message is 6 years ago and all those lifts were made up by someone my current best deadlift is 800lb+. Ive been competing in strongman for 5- 6 years and have done a many internationals also competed in Highland Games and national level shot put before that. I have started messing around with grip in the last couple of years mainly thickbar stuff Rolling Thunder etc and now some of the others events. I have not competed in many grip only comps due to not many being held here in Western Australia its hard enough to find strongman comps in Australia but based on some of the grip records I have seen I have a good standard but to some of you guys standards we will see soon. I am very excited to get the invite and looking forward to meeting some of you guys in a couple of months and test my grip with the best.

Hello Gent I suppose I better introduce myself then ( Its been a bit rude of me), Im a bit of a forum reader and not a writter. My name is Jeremy Hogg from New Zealand but living Australia now like most New Zealanders, Im 6.3 and around 145kg (319lb) at the moment that link about me on the other message is 6 years ago and all those lifts were made up by someone my current best deadlift is 800lb+. Ive been competing in strongman for 5- 6 years and have done a many internationals also competed in Highland Games and national level shot put before that. I have started messing around with grip in the last couple of years mainly thickbar stuff Rolling Thunder etc and now some of the others events. I have not competed in many grip only comps due to not many being held here in Western Australia its hard enough to find strongman comps in Australia but based on some of the grip records I have seen I have a good standard but to some of you guys standards we will see soon. I am very excited to get the invite and looking forward to meeting some of you guys in a couple of months and test my grip with the best.

Welcome aboard. See you soon.

He(Jeremy) is from new Zealand quite strong, impressive physically, and very well versed in thick bar, pinch, and carry. He sent an impressive video to Dr. Todd and as importantly is dead game and with an attitude 100% on grip. 25hours in a plane and a week off of work speaks of "want to" and dedication. I urged everyone from every camp to step forward... and he did with great resolve.

I like that Jeremy had no connections to anyone, contacted TT, and got accepted on his own merits. Nice background story.