Arnolds Sorinex Mighty Mitts It's On!

1stCoC

Talk about a pump!!!!! We finished the apparatus for the last event at the mighty mitts. It is a tractor pull like resistance wrist roller. one direction ,no back pressure or back lash ratchet driven. As the roller is turned an" ever heavier" load is added to the total weight. My son Bert and I tested it today.... really turned out well, forearms are just blown up! I think it will be a great finisher showing a blend of hand and forearm strength/endurance. the roller is supported and at a comfortable height for 6- 6'6" men. Visually it did well too... I think it will be a popular event. I can almost hear the grunts , huffing, puffing, and crowd cheering now! The roller is about 2" diameter. Hope this info helps!

Hello Gent I suppose I better introduce myself then ( Its been a bit rude of me), Im a bit of a forum reader and not a writter. My name is Jeremy Hogg from New Zealand but living Australia now like most New Zealanders, Im 6.3 and around 145kg (319lb) at the moment that link about me on the other message is 6 years ago and all those lifts were made up by someone my current best deadlift is 800lb+. Ive been competing in strongman for 5- 6 years and have done a many internationals also competed in Highland Games and national level shot put before that. I have started messing around with grip in the last couple of years mainly thickbar stuff Rolling Thunder etc and now some of the others events. I have not competed in many grip only comps due to not many being held here in Western Australia its hard enough to find strongman comps in Australia but based on some of the grip records I have seen I have a good standard but to some of you guys standards we will see soon. I am very excited to get the invite and looking forward to meeting some of you guys in a couple of months and test my grip with the best.

Awesome man! Gonna be great meeting you.

Talk about a pump!!!!! We finished the apparatus for the last event at the mighty mitts. It is a tractor pull like resistance wrist roller. one direction ,no back pressure or back lash ratchet driven. As the roller is turned an" ever heavier" load is added to the total weight. My son Bert and I tested it today.... really turned out well, forearms are just blown up! I think it will be a great finisher showing a blend of hand and forearm strength/endurance. the roller is supported and at a comfortable height for 6- 6'6" men. Visually it did well too... I think it will be a popular event. I can almost hear the grunts , huffing, puffing, and crowd cheering now! The roller is about 2" diameter. Hope this info helps!

Sounds awesome. What distance will we be wrist rolling for?

From basic measurement on the travel on the support rack the roller will be mounted is about 5 1/2 feet resistance will be encountered. Because the roller and ratchet multiplies force the weight or resistance will not be a direct 1 to 1 ratio. There will be well over 200lbs of weight but the mechanical smoothness and force multiplying will help lift the load. My suggestion on a supported 2" roller placed at 58 1/2 to the top of the roller(standing) train rolling with an alternate hand method rolling AWAY from your body "all" the weight you can work up to. if the roller lead strap or cable goes to a point higher then down through a pulley you can add more distance and perhaps resistance along the rolling up procedure. IE: if the strap around the roller goes to a pulley at ceiling height and drags perhaps hooked to a heavy chain up until no more chain can be elevated will give a real time feeling of the event. RS

Richard - how about a picture - the thing sounds awesome!

From basic measurement on the travel on the support rack the roller will be mounted is about 5 1/2 feet resistance will be encountered. Because the roller and ratchet multiplies force the weight or resistance will not be a direct 1 to 1 ratio. There will be well over 200lbs of weight but the mechanical smoothness and force multiplying will help lift the load. My suggestion on a supported 2" roller placed at 58 1/2 to the top of the roller(standing) train rolling with an alternate hand method rolling AWAY from your body "all" the weight you can work up to. if the roller lead strap or cable goes to a point higher then down through a pulley you can add more distance and perhaps resistance along the rolling up procedure. IE: if the strap around the roller goes to a pulley at ceiling height and drags perhaps hooked to a heavy chain up until no more chain can be elevated will give a real time feeling of the event. RS

Richard - so this event will test only wrist flexion, not wrist extension...correct?

We tested the unit both ways, it is smoother, safer and has it's best potential for succes and least amount of extra body involvment if the hands roll knuckle forward and away from body.RS

We tested the unit both ways, it is smoother, safer and has it's best potential for succes and least amount of extra body involvment if the hands roll knuckle forward and away from body.RS

Good to know. Thank you.

A few bits and pieces, We are trying to get the the hand plate loaded gripper situated so that an actual squeeze will be done not a shrug with thumb roll and lock as used many years ago that had for some time the Guinness recordholder supposed ONE hand record of......310! ( I wondered why I couldnt get within a 100lb of him) We WILL be watching for this. Second random thought, The hub plate to be lifted is an old Deep dish York as in accord with "the spirit" of the great Carl Norburg that in his 60's did near 80lbs! The York 45lB plate will be used and loaded onto a soft platform. The hub has four spokes radiating from the hub. It(the hub) is TAPERED on its sides so you really have to dig in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Finger positioning is VERY important! This seemed easy for me to do in my day but for some reason now even for giants it does take work to get the plate (45) alone. I want these thoughts and info available to ALL contestants on a reguar basis. I will keep you posted as to any new developments or changes. TRAIN HARD!!!!!RS

We have the light Circus Bell at 160 for starters (it might have to be "tuned" a bit heavier 168-170). "Rosie" the warmup bell we built for the Arnolds Strongman contest was about 168 for the Arnolds event several years ago. It was given a mighty pull by Brian Shaw in an effort to clean it and came up mid chest high on each trial. We are trying due to its bulk to make the pull and placement a smooth, safe, and fair setup. I would be prepared to set a 3" handle bell( with a 12" diameter) on a 24" padded platform. For most involved it will be a deadlift with a shrug at the end. Hope this helps. RS

• 3 weeks later...

Saw training today on Ironmind Apollon Axle by Mr. Williams. First set, 470 X8 with 2 miss, second set460x8 wth 2 miss, third set 470X7 with 2 miss, two more good singles at 470 X1, and three 501lb. misses pulled to to the knees. Thats 28 reps with 460-501 pounds with 9 miss due to shoulders not locking (for the most part). A total of 18 sucessful lifts. Quite an afternoon. Being the "start" of his workout I dont know what else he will do.

• Like 1

Finishing gathering all event items and prizes lined up. The available prize money total is at 8000,(everyone gets prize money if they finish) the overall winner sponsorship another 1500 value, along with another 3000+ allocated for those that were in need for travel, per deium expences, and rooms provided at competing athletes hotel.All funds will be dispersed at the venue so WE are 100% ready. This has been no small task and huge thanks be given to my son who has shouldered the bulk of the work along with a brand new child(son) just being born, the athletes participating, and Dr. Terry Todd for his mentoring and getting me interested in grip 46 years ago with his Mighty Mitts articles.

I feel in the end it is not about the prize or money, but, the grand ride into battle with others of might doing something we all truly love to do. Richard Sorin

Finishing gathering all event items and prizes lined up. The available prize money total is at 8000,(everyone gets prize money if they finish) the overall winner sponsorship another 1500 value, along with another 3000+ allocated for those that were in need for travel, per deium expences, and rooms provided at competing athletes hotel.All funds will be dispersed at the venue so WE are 100% ready. This has been no small task and huge thanks be given to my son who has shouldered the bulk of the work along with a brand new child(son) just being born, the athletes participating, and Dr. Terry Todd for his mentoring and getting me interested in grip 46 years ago with his Mighty Mitts articles.

I feel in the end it is not about the prize or money, but, the grand ride into battle with others of might doing something we all truly love to do. Richard Sorin

Thanks for all the work on this Richard and Bert. It sounds like the event will be better than ever.

Richard - sounds awesome. Thanks for all the work you and Bert are doing!

Congrats to Bert on the birth of the son - even more awesome!

If any grip board members are visiting the Arnold's please drop by our booth stageside to say hello. I know there is much talent out there and some great folks i would like to meet and attach faces with names. I also might have some limited opportunities to help with the counting, timing and perhaps judging during the two days of contest. if any interest to become part and involved let us know. I am really looking forward to see if and how the "dark horse" competitor turns out.....it could be YOU bring your gear AND your grip! R Sorin

Just keeping up with notes and things. I did discuss with a happy Dr. Todd today about the events and the only thing he cautioned was that in the crowd there are some very savy individuals that know strength. He as I said before on the issue of the phonebook tear any "trickery" will probably go "unappreciated" this is a crowd pleaser so do the feat in a workman like way. I still don't know what "popping" is but if isn't legit grip I would hate to hear some jeers.R Sorin

Just keeping up with notes and things. I did discuss with a happy Dr. Todd today about the events and the only thing he cautioned was that in the crowd there are some very savy individuals that know strength. He as I said before on the issue of the phonebook tear any "trickery" will probably go "unappreciated" this is a crowd pleaser so do the feat in a workman like way. I still don't know what "popping" is but if isn't legit grip I would hate to hear some jeers.R Sorin

Popping is actually how Rich tore the phone book at your birthday party last year.

I got the phone books Lined up for you guys. Adriane got ahold of me about it. I have 20 books she will be picking up from my house.