Road To 1200

KRC

well done dude! mad props for owning that thing! working on a 20 is a pretty scarce crowd!

• Like 2

Thanks man! Wasn't perfect but I'll take it. I forgot to mention this but after finishing I celebrated by destroying the phone book (visible in the video) that was delivered today. ~1275 pages.

2uzpl05.jpg

• Like 2

well done dude! mad props for owning that thing! working on a 20 is a pretty scarce crowd!

+1

+1

Thanks dude. Ordered the 20 last night. A little early xmas gift to myself :mosher

• Like 1

Deadlift: 135 - 5

185 - 3

235 - 2

275 - 1

315 - 1

345 - 1

365 - Fx2

Training has been going down hill the last 2-3 weeks so did the end of year maxing a week early just to get it out of the way and rest for the start of next year. This is not a PR at all and honestly I was going for 375 when I walked in the gym... I raelly don't like using my belt for deadlifts. It gets in the way and is distracting. As soon as I set down for the 345 attempt, I tasted my jalapeno and olive oil tuna salad that I had for lunch, and it felt lke it was on its way up the whole time. Kind of distracting. Regardless, the strength wasn't there.

So, for deadlift, I plan on making the following changes:

1. Keep speed DL for assisstnace, but replace bands with straight weight from a deficit. My problem is the floor not the top half of the lift. I know 100% that If i can break the floor even 2 inches with a weight, it will be locked out. Doens't matter how fast I pull 115lbs, this doesn't really help the first 2 inches. So, 1-2" deficit with straight weight will be how speed work is done going forward.

2. Add singles. Need to have a heavy weight in my hands more often, even if its for only a couple singles. I have a bad habit of losing the bar far forward, and when the weight doesn't get above 84ish percent, this isn't an issue. But it was clear that a vertical bar path is an issue at 90%+ for me. More singles working on pulling back as well as up.

3. Lower intensity on AMAP sets. I kind of ran myself into the ground lately going balls out for all top sets. Gonna cut things 1 to 2 reps shy of failure. This will allow for more singles work as well as prevent mental burnout. I was eating fine and my "CNS" was fine, but I was just mentally drained going balls to the wall 4x/week. This will apply to all my lifts, not just DL.

Not a terrible lift, but nowhere near where I thought I'd be. More to work for in 2013.

Also, I came home and my newly ordered RT was on the doorstep. Naturally, I had to attempt a PR fresh from the gym. Didn't get very much :) . That thing is a nightmare for someone with my hand shape. Anyway, Sledges and RT for the first 3mos of 2013 :mosher

• Like 1

Bench: 95 - 5

135 - 3

185 - 2

225 - 1

245 - 1

265 - Fx2

Lost 265 at about 4-6" off the chest first try, and an inch off on the second. I think my attempts were good leading up to the 265, except for that set itself: definitely should have gone for 260, would have hit it easily. 245 went up very fast. IT's funny I literlaly just today read, in Brandon Lilly's new ebook that i bought this morning that "a 5lb PR is still a PR" but I went for a 10lb PR anyway, lol. Had I gone for 5, I have no doubt it would have went. Ah well live and learn.

Squat ME on Friday. I know for a fact that my squat will not be near my PR range, so all in all I'm pretty disappointed with how the last 3 months of strength training went. I know it wasn't all perfect, but most of it was, diet too. Gonna think about making the tweaks I mentioned in the above post and continue on 5/3/1 or just move to the Cube Method which looks amazing. Plus its only 10 weeks so I could theoretically do that once, then get back on 5/3/1 if it bombs. More regular ME and DE work for all lifts, plus more volume overall is definitely appealing to me at the moment though.

Hammer arrived today.

20121214_162639.jpg

20121214_162538.jpg

Ordered this specific brand. The finish is just right, they are the shortest of the three i've tried (though all are at least 32" from the insertion point at the head), and most importantly is the shape of the handle. If you look at some of the 16lb progress videos, you can see the hammer wobble around in the 3" before I touch my head--the handle for that hammer, though by far the purtiest of the 4 I own, was warped on three different planes! Plus it was inconsistently shaped.

The handle on this Jackson hammer (same brand as the 12 I have) is perfectly machined: the long sides of the "oval" are perfectly straight, and the are the smallest in diameter (by around 1/8th inch, IIRC). Really pleased with the quality.

It looks enormous out of the box, but when I held it in a variety of positions, although it was heavy, it wasn't as crazy-heavy as I expected it to be. This thing is getting levered SOON.

Squat: 95 - 5

135 - 4

185 - 3

225 - 2

255 - 1

285 - 1

315 - 1

345 - 1 5lb PR

365 - 1 25lb PR

HUGE PR here on the squat. Not sure where this came from but I will absolutely take it! Only trained 3 times in the last 12 days, diet was poor over the weekend, and I'd only eaten 3/4lb of chicken all day today (was shaking with hunger as I took the attempts); was hoping for 315 given how poorly my bench and deadlift ME's went, but 315 came up very fast, as did 345. Had an experienced USAPL lifter checking depth on the last two attempts and his call on the 365 was "perfect" lol.

Super pumped about this, good to be making progress again. Not sure what to do in terms of programming now. Was planning on changing some things up, but in 3 months I went from:

Squat: 8x230 to 12x245, 8x265, 1x365

Bench: 12x185 to 13x190, 1x245 (with more in the tank)

Deadlift: 10x260 to 11x275, 1x345

Granted it's not amazing progress, and bench and DL are still not at lifetime PR territory, it's pretty decent progress for what was really only 10 weeks of consistent training (last two kind of fell apart). My deadlift technique obviously needs work so I think I might add in some singles as I wrote above, but other than that I might just keep everything on auto-pilot.

Last training day of the year. Time to drink and eat absolutely everything in sight (don't really drink at all during the year), and think about anything besides training, so I can start things off fresh when I get back from NY on the 30th. #1 goal for 2013: train consistently and get better!

• Like 1

congrats on the PR homie! And good plan. Enjoy the success and life in general then come back with a new vigor for new goals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last official workout of 2012; unoffically, first workout of the 2013 training year.

Squat: 5/5/5 @ 135/165/195

Back Ext: 2x5 @ BW

Leg Press: 2x8 @ 275

Step Downs: 2x5 @ BW

Standing Cable Abs: 2x10 @ 50

Rolling Thunder: 3x10 @ 57.5 LH, 72.5 RH

Got back from NY yesterday and hit the ground running. Decided to take a deload week to ease back into things; this break was really a free for all: I was drunk for almost the entire 8 days, and I ate like crap the whole time. Plus, there's a meet 13 weeks out, so I'll use this first week to put my training on schedule for that meet.

2012 was pretty good overall, but was definitely not as good as it could have been. Consistency was good at the beginning and end of the year. Need to stay consistent all the time, even if it's an unscheduled back-off week. Got a nice squat PR and got my DL and bench back to near all-time levels.

Really looking forward to 2013 for many reasons. Training wise, I used the last 3 months to experiment with diet and programming and I have a clear picture of what needs to happen going forward. Gonna kill this meet in April and hopefully at least one grip comp before I head back to NY state permanently in July. Looking forward for the things to come.

Face Levers: 5x1 @ 12" w/16lb Hammer

Face + Weight: 5x2 @ 6" w/8lb Hammer + 5lbs

Lockout Holds: 1x1 @ 15s w/20lb Hammer

Neck Harness: 5x20 @ 20lbs

The "face+weight" is a regular face lever with a 5lb weight tied by a martial arts belt dangling from my wrist. As I learned from the last set of just holding the 20lb'er out at arms length for max time, the initial challenge in succesfully levering a hammer like this is just getting used to the weight. Gonna increase weight hung by the belt till total weight is past 20lbs.

All exercises are done with a board running under my arm at the exact height for a true parallel face lever. I have no doubt I'll be able to get a sloppy 20 at some point with training, but getting a legit strict 20 is another story. All reps will be done with this board for the entire 12 weeks.

• Like 1

Ulnar Dev Exp: 5x1 @ 30" w/16lb Hammer

Ulnar Dev Vol: 3x20 @ 28" w/12lb Hammer, superset w/

Radial Dev: 3x20 w/10lbs

The superset was BRUTAL and gave me the craziest forearm pump of my life.

Gotta love high rep muscle pair supersets for that all over pump!

Absolutely, man! Dont' usually do high-rep stuff so this is a nice change.

1.7.13 - C4W1

Squat: 5/5/8 @ 205/235/270

Leg Press: 3x15 @ 275

Back Ext.: 3x8 w/15lbs

Step Downs: 3x8 @ BW

Abs: 3x8 @ 80

RT: 3x10 @ 62.5 LH, 73.75 RH

Face Levers: 5x1 @ 10" w/16lb Hammer

Face + Weight: 5x2 @ 6" w/8lb Hammer + 7.5lbs

Lockout Hold: 1x18s w/20lb Hammer

Neck Harness: 5x30 @ 20

hammering the hammers!

F--- yeah! Lovin' it so far.

Deadlift: 5/5/7 @ 205/245/280

Speed Deficit Deadlifts: 10x1 @ 185

Good Morning: 3x8 @ 95

Step Ups: 3x10 @ BW

Ab Roller: 3x3

RT: 3x10 65 LH, 75 RH

• Like 1

Ulnar Dev (Exp.): 5x1 @ 29.5" w/16lb Hammer

UD: 3x20 @ 27.5 w/12lb Hammer superset w/

RD: 3x20 @ 11.25

RD Static: 35s (10 on/5 off) w/21.25

Neck Harness: 5x35 @ 20

Huge pump after the superset again. That thing is brutal!