Road To 1200

KRC

Squat: 3/3/7 @ 225/255/285

BE: 3x10 @ 15

Leg Press: 3x18 @ 275 (w/1x30 calf raises at the end, lol)

Abs

RT: 3x10 @ 66.25 LH, 76.25 RH

Rep PR on the squats. Most I ever squatted with this weight was 4 grinding reps about a year ago. These 7 were very slow and maybe a tad high--I was taking it easy due to that old back twinge making itself known. Felt like I could have gone for 10+ in any case.

Face Levers: 3x1 @ 8" w/16lb Hammer

Face + Weight: 5x2 @ 6" w/8lb Hammer + 10lbs

Lockout Hold: 1x20s w/20lb Hammer

Neck Harness: 5x45 @ 20

Deadlift: 3/3/6 @ 235/265/300

Speed, Deficit DL: 8x1 @ 200

Step Ups: 3x12 @ BW

RT: 3x10 @ 68.75 LH, 77.5 RH

Exp. Ulnar Dev: 5x1 @ 29" w/16lb Hammer

UD: 3x20 @ 26.5 w/12lb Hammer, superset with

RD: 3x20 @ 12.5

RD Static: 10 on 5 off for 30sec w/22.5lbs

Squat: 5/2 @ 135/185

Reverse Hyper: 3x30 @ 50

RT: 3x10 @ 70 LH, 78.75 RH

Tweaked my back in the same spot as the last few times, so called it before even finishing the warmup. Gonna do a lot of mobility/prehab stuff for the next two weeks.

Face Lever: 2x1 @ 6" w/16lb Hammer

Face + Weight: 5x2 @ 6" w/8lb Hammer + 11.25lbs

Lockout Hold: 1x24s w/20lb Hammer

Neck Harness: 3x30 @ 25

Almost lost the hammer on the lockout hold; had to grab it before it destroyed pretty much my entire back room, haha.

Added tape to teh bottom of the 16lb hammer for the first time after reading other guys claim it helped. So far it does for all parts of the lift minus the point where you reverse it off your head. Feels more solid in the hand all the rest of teh time though.

Taking a few days off lifting via the back. Thinking about changing things up a bit too, maybe giving the texas method a try.

Full, strict lever (board under wrist) with the 16lb hammer next week!

Squat: 5x5 @ 255

Bench: 5x5 @ 195

Power Clean: 5x3 @ 125

RT: 3x10 @ 72.5 LH, 80 RH

Goin' with the Texas Method for a while. I jsut feel better doing this kind of training plus I think having a total ~1000 is better suited to this kind of training (i.e. weekly progress) versus 5/3/1.

Also I chose power cleans versus speed deadlifts or barbell rows for the third volume lift because they're the ones I hate/suck at most, plus I could always use more PC work, specifically upper back and hamstrings, two areas that progress nicely every time I work cleans into training.

Looking forward to seeing where this takes me.

Absolutely. Explosiveness can only be a good thing.

Exp. Ulnar Dev: 5x1 @ 28" w/16lb Hammer

UD: 3x20 @ 26.5 w/12lb Hammer, superset with

RD: 3x20 @ 13.75

RD Static: 10 on 5 off for 35sec w/23.75lbs

Neck Harness: 4x35 @ 25

Took a measurement post-uber-pump: 8" wrist and 13" forearm. No clue what "big" is here.

Squat: 2x5 @ 205

Press: 3x5 @ 95

Barbell Row: 3x8 @ 115

Back Extensions: 3x10

Rising DB: 3x8 w/10, 15, 20s iso at the end.

RT: 3x10 @ 73.75 LH

Sup/Pro: 5x10 @ 30.5" w/16lb Hammer

Dyn Pinch: 5x14

Squat: 1x3 @ 315

Bench: 1x3 @ 235

Deadlift: 1x3 @ 315

RT: 3x10 @ 75 LH, 81.25 RH

It's only been a week, but I have a feeling I am going to really enjoy the Texas Method. I enjoy volume as well as going heavy for sub-5 reps and that exactly what this program is based around, rather than 5/3/1's focus on one balls out top set (which was usually a minimum of 8 reps).

The 315 squat was good, lost the second rep a little bit forward but I was still good for probably 2 more reps. It was also a rep PR as my next heaviest squat set for reps is 8 at 285 from a few weeks ago. Prior to that it was 4 at 280. Had another in me with 235 on bench, but the deadlift was tough. I recently started doing a particular mobility exercise and it's paying huge dividends with pain management as well as being better able to get in a proper start position in the DL. That said, my form still sucks and is inconsistent.

Part of the benefit of being this fat (255-260)--probably the only benefit--are the massively improved leverages for bench and squat. The flip side is that my deadlift technique went down the toilet. The squat set was better than the deadlift set @ the same weight. I know I'm not built to DL and that eventually my squat would overtake my pull, but wasn't expecting it this early. Regardless, I'm still going to put in a lot of work refining technique, and expect things to be a bit more balanced as/if I lose some BF.

For anyone reading who's considreing doing the TM, I bought these two books, available here and here, which are amazingly informative.

Face Lever: 3xF full lever w/16lb Hammer

Face + Weight: 5x2 @ 6" w/8lb Hammer + 12.5lbs

Lockout Hold: 1x31s w/20lb Hammer

Three terrible failures at a full, strict face lever. I could list a whole bunch of things that went wrong but regardless, it didn't happen today. Got three funny YT clips to edit in to the vid of my successful attempts later on.

Also got my TTK in the mail today. That thing is way bigger than I thought it would be. Once the 3 rated #3's arrive from CPW I'll be all set to attack the MM0 after this hammer cycle ends.

Nice man. People say they like the TTK.

Looking forward to that sledge vid. Lol. The sledge work should really help the grippers. Get that MM0!

The sledge work should really help the grippers.

I hope so. Been doing a lot more volume so once I get the skin used to knurling again after about a week, I have high hopes.

Squat: 1x3 @ 325

Bench: 1x3 @ 240

Deadlift: 5x1 @ 325

Squat still feels very strong, was good for at least 5 here today so I'll jump up another 10 to 335 next week. Bench is nearing PR territory, too. All time is 255 and paused PR is 245. This was a fairly tough set, but I'm still good for a few more 5lb jumps. DL is still crap. Took a lot of time to work on set up with a 550+ puller today and we agreed that I'm basically just (bad word filter)ed, lol. Although I'll never set any DL records, I want to work technique as much as I can to at minimum keep my DL on par with my squat. I know a lot of guys with similar builds to mine whose squats are far beyond their pulls, so I want to try and avoid that at all costs.

Also going to take a week off from hammers. I did something wrong the other day and have a good deal of pain on a certain part of my wrist/forearm that really made itself known after benching. The YT vids I have are mainly me hunched over squealing in pain after almost clocking myself in the head with the 16lb-er.

Squat: 4x5 @ 275

Bench: 4x5 @ 205

PC: 5x3 @ 140

Felt lousy and was grumpy all day. None of the volume day sets are really "hard" yet, just "tiring." Plan was to take 10lb jumps to here but may keep going with 285 sq and 215 bench next week. Really looking forward to Friday and liking the way this program works so far.

• Like 1

Squat: 2x5 @ 210

OHP: 3x5 @ 100

BBR: 3x8 @ 125

BE: 2x10 w/10

RT LH: up to 1x120 (lost at lockout)

RT RH: up to 1x125

~5lb PR's for each hand after 6 weeks on the program laine snook outlined. This made me realize that open hand PR's will come very slowly for me. For that reason (combined with how unobtrusive this kind of programming is), I see no reason why I can't do RT work everytime i'm in the gym. If I can get 5lbs every 6-8 weeks on an ongoing basis, I'll take it and be very pleased.

Squat: 1x3 @ 335

Bench: 1x1+F @ 245

Deadlift: 5x1 @ 335

Very, very pleased with how my squat is coming along. Was good for 2+ more. This is the 3rd heaviest weight I've ever squatted for any amount of reps and it was very strong and controlled.

Not sure what happened with Bench, failed on the second rep. Gonna consider my programming options over the weekend. May stay with 5x5 on volume day and switch to a 5RM on intensity day rather than a 3RM. I may even go back to linear progression alternating bench and press. For my pressing leverages, my bench and press should each be higher than they are.

DL's were ok. Last two reps were kind of slow. First rep was done DOH.

I also did some random bending for no reason before lifting. Did a 60D DO, a 7.5" bar of 0-1 drill rod at 17/64", and a failed attempt at 60D in IMPs. I went for a 7" bar of the 0-1 at the same diameter and it didn't move at all. Considering a short run at bending after the comp.

There are two meets in CA from now until the time I leave for NY, one on April 7 in the USPA, and one on June 22 in the APF. While the one in June is literally perfect timing (leaving a week later), I don't know if I can assume that everything will be in order for the move, and spend ~2 days in SoCal that close to our scheduled departure date.

Daniel's putting together a comp that sounds like it will be on the 20th of April, and although my peaking for the PL meet would overlap with the start of my peaking for the grip comp, it is probably the best option. That way I get a PL and grip comp under my belt with plenty of time to just ride things out until I move. I don't think it will be too much to train for both.

If I do the one in April I'll be shooting for between 1050 and 1100, if I do June I'll be looking for 1100-1150. Grip comp goals are 145/175/253.

In any case, I start a small 8 week peaking block for grippers, pinch and axle on Monday. Gonna put the 20lb hammer on the back burner for now (though it is still my goal for the year), especially given how residual my wrist/forearm pain has been the past 10 days. After that I'll have 9 weeks to either cert MM0 (if I don't do so at the comp), go for the 20lb Hammer, or do something else.

~5lb PR's for each hand after 6 weeks on the program laine snook outlined. This made me realize that open hand PR's will come very slowly for me. For that reason (combined with how unobtrusive this kind of programming is), I see no reason why I can't do RT work everytime i'm in the gym. If I can get 5lbs every 6-8 weeks on an ongoing basis, I'll take it and be very pleased.

exactly bro. Thickbar just takes consistant time. All the best thickbar guys have been doing some form of it for years. I've come to that realization recently as well, just keep working up the weight over time. I've been seeing 10# increases consistantly every 5 months or so, so that's about how fast you're seeing RT results. The good thing is it's tough to burn out on it if keeping it sub max most of the time. Volume seems to be the best way to get results, particularly thru high frequency. I also like to flip back and forth between 2" and 2.4" cycles. Keep at it bro. The gains will keep on coming.

• Like 1

Yeah man, definitely. People that don't start out closing 3's or bending reds have to get used to conceptualizing training in the long term. I kind of like that actually. Committing to the sport long term and making slow and steady but continuous gains rather than killing it for a year and then losing interest like lots of other guys have.

Squat: 4x5 @ 280

Bench: 5x5 @ 210

BBR: 3x5 @ 135

V2: 5x8 @ Level 8

RT: 3x8 @ 87.5 (too heavy for left)

Felt like crap and I was tripping over idiots everywhere in the gym.

• Like 1