Road To 1200

KRC

Grip comp yesterday. Went in basically untrained over the last 4 weeks so was just looking to have fun and meet new people. Great time as usual with some great performances .

TSG

114 - Good

128.5 - Good

145 - No Good

140 - No Good

Was looking to close that 145 #3 about 9 weeks ago when I layed out my training but my entire arm basically has been in pretty bad pain from gripper work. No idea why. Probably due to the technique change I made, but who knows. Mainly in the elbow and wrist, but after the gripper attempts yeterday my entire arm was aching up to the shoulder.

2HP

142 - Good

152 - Good

163 - Good

Pass 4th

60mm felt amazing. I think I'm definitely more suited for wide 2HP work. I did bascially no pinch at all leading up to this and hit a 3lb PR which I attribute to finding a proper width. I think actually 58 would be a little better, 60 might be just a hair too wide, but in any case, no more 54mm pinching.

RT

Don't remember the attempts. Hit 127ish I think and passed 4th? Not really sure. Need major improvement here.

Hammer

13 - Good

15 - Not Good

14 - Good (easier than 13)

16 - Not Good

Gave 15 and 16 a ride, but lost it a few inches from the top of the platform. Glad that my wrist never really buckled, but I just couldn't get high enough. In any case, lots of room to improve here I think. If I kept up with training leading to this I think I could have gotten that 16 at least. Gonna shoot for a full 8-10lb deadlift later in the year I think.

Great comp and a fun time as usual.

Monday gonna think about what to focus on until I leave CA. Plan was to go full steam at MM0, but I'll have to do a lot of rehab type stuff to keep up with gripper work given how painful its' been lately.

Woke up with a tweaked back this morning (?). Spent most of the day walking the dog and back felt better but deadlifting tomorrow might not be possible.

Thanks for coming out and helping put on the event. It's a real pleasure to do comps and lift with you. I'm glad the wider width felt better. 2HP is a tricky little thing. After 2 years I'm still not at rest with my width and techique, athough that 60mm felt good.

4.22.13 CUBE W2 DL Speed

1" Deficit DL: 12x1 @ 235 (pulled every 30 seconds)

4" Block Snatch Grip DL: 3x15 @ 185

Lat Pulldowns: 4x15 @ 100

Abs

Had to crawl out of bed and was hobbling around all day as the back didn't improve since yesterday. I didn't want to miss a day so I did all my work today standing up and made a point to walk around, and I also spent about 20 minutes loosening up my hips and back before touching a weight. If it felt good I would keep going. The pain was sort of present the whole time but didn't prevent me from doing at least part of the workout. Performance was probably @ ~85% but got some good work in.

This kind of injury comes around every now and then and working through it after 36 hours is a first. The snatch grip DL's were bar none the most brutal, intense set I've ever done of anything, lol. My back was pretty fried by then and I didn't want to push my luck so I dropped the SSB squats, shrugs and back raises. Better something than nothing I guess. We'll see how things feel for Friday. I anticipate extremely sore hams/ass again just like last week.

Thanks for coming out and helping put on the event. It's a real pleasure to do comps and lift with you. I'm glad the wider width felt better. 2HP is a tricky little thing. After 2 years I'm still not at rest with my width and techique, athough that 60mm felt good.

Pleasure is all mine dude. Like I said at the comp, you've been a huge help and training/competing out there has been a blast.

Yeah I'm really stoked about that little PR. If a width change can net a PR after no training, I think a big PR would be due with focused work.

Yeah I'm really stoked about that little PR. If a width change can net a PR after no training, I think a big PR would be due with focused work.

Same here. I can't wait to try and train 60mm. I felt I could stretch the skin over the discs better and make it a whole hand pinch. It just allows for a better technique and tighter grip.

V2: 5x8 @ Level 8

TSG: 1x1 Neg @ BBGM (140), 1x1 OC @ FBBM (102)

Missed closing the BBGM by a hair but the set was pretty deep. Officially starting my focus on MM0 now. Hoping to hit it about 8 weeks from now.

4.24.13 - CUBE W2 BP Reps

Paused Bench (w/pause for two-count 1" off chest): 2x5 @ 170, 1x6 @ 180

Bench: 5x5 @ 190, all bench sets superset with:

Reverse Hyper: 12x20 @ 50

Incline DB Press: 2x20 w/45s

Close Grip: 3x12 @ 95/115/115

Machine Flies: 3x15 @ 60 (subbed for band flies, didn't really feel anything here except internal rotator pain)

DB OH Ext: 100 reps - started with 30, went to failure, picked up 27.5, went to failure, etc. Took 3:15 and ended on 15lbs.

Brutal bench workout. The pauses an inch off the chest are amazing; they destroyed my lats and pecs. Failed at 20 on the second set of incline DB presses, those destroyed my triceps which is why the close grip was so low, though I never really train that either.

Gonna do the 100 tricep reps differently next time. Should start heavier and take maybe 10 seconds rest doing sets of 10 or something. Doing all 100 in a row is a neat challenge but by the end I'm not really getting any quality work in.

Back felt pretty bad today, hence the 240 "reps" on the RH; I got on and just let my legs swing. Started off with about a 12" range of motion that gradually got bigger to about 24". Just getting blood to the area and taking advantage of the amazing stretch that RH's offer. If I can squat as prescribed on Friday it will be a big victory. I plan on staying in the gym for 5 hours if I have to to be ready to do so.

V2: 7x7 @ Level 9

TSG Neg: 2x1 @ GHP7 (150)

TSG OC: 2x1 @ FBBM (102)

Back was f'd all day yesterday, worst day yet. Did evening stretching and morning stretching today, moved around as much as possible, and it feels OK tonite. Gonna push back squats till tomorrow. I think i'll be good to go. This injury has derailed me enough times.

4.27.13 - CUBE W2 SQ Max

Squat: 5x2 @ 295

GM: 3x8 w/bar

Leg Press: 4x20 @ 275

Lunges: 3x12 w/15s

DB Shrugs: 3x15 w/90s

V2: 6x6 @ Level 10

TSG Neg: 1x1 @ GHP7 (150)

TSG OC: 3x1 @ FBBM (102)

Spent 20 minutes getting warmed up and things went well. Every point of the squat ROM was completely painless, except for unracking it and standing with the bar at lockout which was pretty bad actually. Getting into and out of the hole felt better than usual.

Just went through the motions for the GM's as my back wasn't feeling great after squats. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

4.28.13 - CUBE W2 BB

A1. Overhead Press: 5x5 @ 110

A2. Pull Ups: 5x5 w/blue band

B1. Klokov Press: 4x8 @ 65

B2. Kelso Shrugs: 4x8 @ 90 w/3s hold

C1. Close Grip Bench: 3x12 @ 120/130/140

C2. Cat Back Rows: 3x12 @ 45/55/65

All lettered exercises superset with 60s rest.

Standing Cable Ext. Rotations: 3x15 @ 10

Reverse Flies: 3x15 w/10s

Hammer Curls: 3x10 @ 20/25/30

Hammer Curls: 4x5 @ 35/30/25/20 (all done non stop, left didn't make it very far)

Static Bicep Curl: 1 set w/25 lbs, 32s Left, 37s Right

I must be doing klokov presses wrong because these brutalized my rotator cuffs with even just 65 lbs. And I have almost hyper-mobile shoulders, too. I'll give them another shot next week.

Fun day today, looking to add a lot of size/strength to my shoulders and upper back on this 4th day each week.

4.30.13 - CUBE W3 DL Max

4" Block Pulls: 5x2 @ 295, 1x1 @ 330

4" Snatch Grip DL: 2x8 @ 235

T-Bar Row (sub for Barbell Row): 3x10 @ 70

DB Shrugs: 2x20 w/90s

Abs

Pulls got less painful as the sets went on, first reps with 135 were rough. Last double came up very fast. Snatch grips are mind-boggling hard, gonna keep them around as long as I can; I have a feeling they are going to have huge carry over to my main lifts.

Snatch grip is nasty. Also try it with an axle for another humbling experience. Hits the ring and pinky hard.

5.2.13 - CUBE W2 BP Speed

Bench (w/pause 1" from chest): 8x3 @ 155 started w/60s rest and gradually got it down to 30s by the last set

Floor Press: 1x12 @ 185 (written to failure)

Incline DB: 3x15 w/50s (failed right at 15 last set)

T Bar Rows: 3x10 @ 75

Cable Pushdowns: 20/20/20/15/15/10 @ 50lbs <-- OMG

Standing DB Military: 3x10 @ 30/35/40

Band Flies: 3x10

Planks: 4x30s (written as 4x60s but this is the first planking ive done in years)

Gorgeous night tonite--got home and spent the rest of the sunlight in the park with the girl and the dog. Back feels good too, great night.

• Like 1

Snatch grip is nasty. Also try it with an axle for another humbling experience. Hits the ring and pinky hard.

Yeah man, great variation. I can't imagine doing it with an axle. Once I get set up in NY and have space for one I'll definitely try it.

Never realized how much volume the cube is. Really great work I struggle big time with high volume workouts but they always help produce the best gains I feel. Glad your back is feeling better also the high volume workouts might have actually helped you heal up a bit. I sometimes get back aches and feel just moving around doing a workout I tend to feel a lot better then 'resting' -assuming not severe pain-

V2: 7x6 @ Level 10

TSG Neg: 2x1 @ MM1 (160)

TSG OC: 2x1 @ GHP5 (114)

Tough going; had a really rough night the night before...

Squat: 2x10 @ 45

1x10 @ 135

1x8 @ 165

1x6 @ 195

1x4 @ 225

1x8 @ 255

Wide Stance GM: 3x8 @ 85/105/125 <-- getting better at these

Lunges: 3x15 w/20s

Squat to failure w/50%: 1x21 @ 185

Things to work on for these kinds of sets:

Better bar placement. For most of the set, keeping it in a good rack position was the hardest part, back was on fire. Moving around and jumping the bar to on top of my traps isn't a good idea, it was just a distraction.

Better depth. Sure I'm getting back from a minor injury but I think every rep was either right at parallel or a bit high. Might bring the stance in a touch.

14wglk2.jpg

Better timed breaks. I arbitrarily picked 30 for a goal for this, and wanted to do 6, 5, 4 reps etc. until I got to 1 and then just singles from ther eon out, but the first 6 were very easy and I should have kept going.

In any case, the most reps I've ever done was 12 with 245 so I'll take 21 and look to hit ~25 next time (in 3 weeks). Maybe 30 is doable, but definitely not after all the other work of the day.

Never realized how much volume the cube is. Really great work I struggle big time with high volume workouts but they always help produce the best gains I feel. Glad your back is feeling better also the high volume workouts might have actually helped you heal up a bit. I sometimes get back aches and feel just moving around doing a workout I tend to feel a lot better then 'resting' -assuming not severe pain-

Yeah man it definitely is. Especially on bench days. I'm hoping for PR's all around, but I think with the work I'm doing for benching, pressing and back stuff, there should be a big PR in store.

Yeah when I first had this back tweak I rested completely and it took about 3 weeks to heal. As they happened more and more, I would be more and more active to the point, with this one, that I just trained right through it with extra mobility work and ibuprofen. It's kind of counter-intuitive but you're right, moving around is the best solution.

5.6.13 - CUBE W3 BB

A1. OHP: 5x5 @ 115, superset with

A2. Pull Ups: 5x6 w/Blue Band w/60s rest

B1. OHP: 5x10 @ 75, superset with

B2. DB Rows: 5x10 @ 75 w/75s rest

C1. CGBP: 4x8 @ 155, superset with

C2. Cat Back T-Bar Rows: 4x8 @ 90 w/90s rest

^all that was pretty tiring

Cable Ext. Rot.: 3x10 @ 10

Reverse Flies: 3x20 @ 10

Hammer Curls: 3x10 @ 30

Reverse EZ Curls: 3x10 @ 45 (top half of ROM only)

Static Bicep Curl: 1 set w/27.5 lbs, 37s Left, 35s Right

Decided to get a bit of volume in.

RH:

TSG: 2x20 @ IMS (42)

1x10 @ IM1 (84)

V2: 4x6 @ Level 6-9

1x5 @ Level 10

6x5 @ Level 11

TSG: 2xF @ BBGM (140 - misses by 3-5mm)

TSG Neg: 1x1 @ BBE (167)

TSG OC: 3x1 @ GHP5 (114)

TSG: 3x15 @ IMS (42)

LH:

TSG: 4x20 @ IMS (42)

4x10 @ IM1 (84)

5x3+ @ FBBM (102)

1x3, 1x20, 1x30 @ FBBM, IM1, IMS <-- all reps done non-stop

TSG: 1x20 @ IMS (42)

1x10 @ IM1 (84)

1x5 @ FBBM (102)

1x3 @ GHP5 (114)

1x1 @ BBSM (122)

1xF @ BBGM (140)

1xF @ BBGM (140)

1x1 @ BBGM (140)?

Can't really tell if I closed it, but it felt like it may have been for a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvN-O7OnZf8

TSG Neg: 3x1 @ MM1 (160)

TSG OC: 1x1 @ BBSM (122)

V2: 8x6 @ Level 9

• Like 1

Two screenshots:

2a0b7up.png

2zoyqtj.png

I dunno. Looks super close but maybe not closed, not for more than a fraction of a second anyway. I'll err on the side of caution and keep working at it.

That definitely looked closed to me

The mm0 cert should go down in no time for you that was a strong attempt, nice job.

Thanks a lot man. MM0 has been on the radar for too long! I missed this BBGM by a lot at the comp, so this is good progress after two weeks of getting back on grippers. Got 3 more weeks on this cycle and then another 5 week cycle before I leave when I'll go for the 3.

TSG: 2x20 @ IMS (42)

2x10 @ IM1 (84)

1x5 @ FBBM (102)

1x3 @ GHP5 (114)

1x1 @ BBSM (122)

1xF @ GHP7 (150)

1xF @ BBGM (150)

TSG Neg: 2x1 @ BBE (167)

V2: 7x5 @ Level 11

TSG OC: 2x5s @ BBSM (122)

Some stills from the two 150 attempts:

316258k.png

b7ck11.jpg

Warm ups were unexpecdetly good so I went for some 150 attempts to see where I'm at. Getting there.