Road To 1200

KRC

Felt like crap and I was tripping over idiots everywhere in the gym.

Haha, not a good combo.

Seriously. I had some serious rage-a-hol today. Been going to this gym for 2.5 years and when I first went, I would regularly squat alone in one of the three bootleg, old-ass squat racks. Then the gym splurged for three brand new racks with all the bells and whistles, and every tom dick and harry shows up now and make people wait while they do god knows what.

My membership runs out in April and I think I might try to find somewhere else for the remaining 10 weeks I'll be here at that point--it's getting unbearable.

After securing employment, priority #1 once I get to NY is finding a house/apt. that will allow me to set something up in a garage/basement.

• Like 1

Grip Comp prep training starts tonite.

TTK: 8x5 @ 15lbs.

Hammer DL: up to 1x1 @ 9" from the bottom of an 8lb hammer.

Lots of holds and all reps dynamic on the TTK. That thing is designed weird. The handles are only like 1.5" wide so you can't get all your thumb or even like half your fingers on. And I ended up doing all the reps "behind my back" as doing it straight on was pretty painful on the wrists. Still a decent thumb workout.

Hammer DL test to see where I am if we do the event at the comp (though there could be an epic event in the making :) ). I've only trained this lift a handful of times ever so I suppose this is alright. Total hammer weight was 9.4lbs.

After watching a few video's of hammer DL's it looks like people are measuring from the bottom of the head to the pinky rather than the pinky to the end of the handle. Head to pinky for this lift = 25" (34" total handle length).

After watching a few video's of hammer DL's it looks like people are measuring from the bottom of the head to the pinky rather than the pinky to the end of the handle. Head to pinky for this lift = 25" (34" total handle length).

Still a lot better than the 20" I got an an 8# sledge. Like 25% better. Strong lifting dude.

• Like 1

Squat: 2x5 @ 225

OHP: 3x5 @ 105

DBR: 3x12 w/65

BE: 2x10 w/15

TSG RH: 6x1 @ 85 (IM1) Explosive close with hold

RT BH: 5x1 @ 91.25 Explosive singles

Squat is feeling a little funky. Work going to be extra shitty for the next two weeks so I'll have to pay extra attention to food, rest and mobility.

Blobs: 10x1 w/35 (fatman)

RH all easy lifts. LH was a combination of pinky-assisted lifts through full range, just for the concentric and full, unassisted lifts (none of which were locked out). Feels good to be blobbin' again.

I don't remember the exact details of my Blob KTA programming, but I think 10 easy singles with the 35 RH are pretty much a PR, and with no pinching for almost a year besides a short run at with the hub.

EDIT: just read my old BKTA log--definitely not a PR, lol. But good nonetheless.

Anyone reading have any ideas about how to file the 2HP plates to take some of the bite off? Or where, rather? I could just blast away with my hand held file but I assume taking it to some kind of machinist is a better option but I literally have no idea where to even look for that.

I took just a bit of the thumb edge to a bench grinder. Then I cleaned it up with a bastard file. I just gave it a 50% radius. Basically enough to keep from total thumb shredding. Lol. I've seen other plates that are more worn and have an even rounder edge.

Squat: 1x3 @ 340

Bench: 1x3 @ 235

Deadlift: 3x1 @ 340

Squat still feels pretty good, deadlift is getting a lot better but bench seems to be declining. I guess this is par for the course when your weight drops.

2HP: up to 1x1 @ 152.5

Cut it here due to being hungover..

• Like 1

Blobs: 8x1 @ 35 w/2s hold at top. Pinky assist for LH.

Hammer DL work.

Feeling like crap for the last few weeks. Lower back is hammered from work and just beat up all around.

Squat: 1x3 @ 345

Bench: 1x2 @ 235

Deadlift: 3x1 @ 345

TSG: up to 1x1 @ 125 (BBM 5/8") w/20mm block

RT: up to 1x1 @ 105 w/hold LH and RH. Was supposed to be 4 singles, only did 1 by mistake.

Trying a new gripper technique that feels good so far but I'm weary about how it will affect true 1RM attempts. I'm holding my hand differently so that the palm handle is much more stable and my thumb pad has a much greater role in the close, but the trade off is making my already weak set harder by increasing the ROM due to my already stubby fingers being slightly further back. We'll see how this pans out.

Back cooperated enough for the squats, but started acting up during deadlifts so only did 3 singles. Bench is regressing. I think it has a lot to do with basically zero OHP volume so I think i'll alternate 3x5 w/moderate weight press and bench from now to the meet in 5 weeks. I lost about 6 pounds since last month but that can't make up for me losing 10 to 15 pounds on the bench in that same time.

On the bright side though, 345 is the second heaviest weight i've ever squatted or deadlifted for any rep range, let alone a triple.

One more difficult week at work and the rest should be smooth sailing until the meet.

2HP: up to 1xF @ 155+ due to LH thumb webbing tear.

Hammer DL's

Managed to get in a quick workout late tonite. Gonna knock the 2HP ME days down about 5lbs and just go for a small, 5lb PR that is well within reach by the end rather than pushing this super hard along with everything else.

Did prescribed hammer work and went for a PR with the contest hammer and hit it rather easily. Really looking forward to this event.

Impromptu Mock Meet (all lifts with commands)

Squat: 3 - 135

2 - 185

1 - 235

1 - 285

First: 325 (missed "rack" command)

Second: 355

Third: 385 (20lb PR)

Bench: 5 - 95

3 - 135

2 - 175

1 - 205

First: 220

Second: 235

Third: 250 (5lb Paused PR - Missed "rack" command)

Deadlift: 2 - 135

2 - 185

1 - 235

1 - 285

First: 325

Second: 345

Third: 365 (5lb PR)

Fourth: 385 (25lb PR)

VERY pleased with how this all went. Diet, recovery and stress have all been suboptimal lately, and today I was planning on just coming in and doing a few light sets of five on the squat and bench, but after my first set of 135 on the squat, I felt fantastic so I decided to just see where I'm at as the meet is exactly one month away.

This gym lift total is a 65lb PR. Squats felt pretty good, minus the one missed rack command, gotta watch out for that. 385 is a 20lb PR in ~10 weeks of training so very pleased. it was definitely a grinder and as true a ME lift as I've attempted.

Bench was abnormally good. I've been struggling lately so I just went for a 5lb paused PR which is shy of my all time PR to go for a 1000lb gym total. 250 was EASY and I was good for at least 10 more pounds, maybe 15 or 20 even. Was so surprised that I forgot to wait for the rack command at the end.

Deadlift was the big surprise. 365 was an all time PR and it came up fast on my third attempt, totaling 1000. I put 385 on and went for broke for a fourth and that came up well surprisingly, but I couldn't get my hips through above the knees and it was a definite grind and also a true ME lift. My new stance is treating me very well and the fact that 385 came up off the floor (where I've traditionally been very weak) as fast as it did is a HUGE victory.

Things at work are going to drop off significantlly as of Monday, so time to hone in and get a solid 3+ weeks of training before the meet. Won't be expecting numbers too much higher than what happened today, but my goals before tonite were 396/265/396, all of which seem doable with calibrated plates and comp adrenaline. If things go well and I can shoot for 400/275/400 I would be extremely pleased.

Great job Kevin. Congrats on all those PRs.

• Like 2

Thanks dude, yes indeed! Seems like your schedule is pretty packed from now till the comp but any thoughts on entering the meet?

Blob (RH Only): 6x1 @ 35 w/4s hold

Hammer DL's

2HP: up to 1xF @ 152.5

Hammer DL: Regular work sets plus 1x1 @ 18.5" w/12lb Hammer

Tried playing around with very narrow width (48mm)... it did not work, lol. Gonna try to find some rubber because my pinch only goes to 54mm and I think 57 or 58 could be a good width for me.

GPP: Carrying a 65lb sedated dog home from the vet 4+ blocks + hills. This was brutally hard, lol. If I ever decide to focus on conditioning more, sandbag front carries will be #1 on my list.

Things are slowed down now so I anticipate a solid 3 weeks of training leading up to the meet. BW at 250.4 this morning so I'll play things by ear regarding getting below 242. I know they say not to cut weight for your first meet, but I'm down 10lbs over about 6 weeks and if I'm within 3 or 4 pounds of 242 by the time the meet comes I don't see why manipulating my water intake the day before the weigh in (which is 24 hours before the meet) would be a bad idea.

Nice work in here good luck with your meet also. What do you hope to total? I'm thinking of doing a powerlifting meet next year. I just started working out a bit seriously this last year so want to get on a serious routine before I try. I could do a meet with you next year if you plan on doing another one. What federation do you compete with though?

Also with the sledge deadlift how far are you getting on a 10 so I can compare to the 12? 18.5 seem like a huge lift on the 12 nice job.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Hey Stephen. Looking to total in the mid 1000's. The "gym total" from last week was 1020 and my squat and deadlifts were very close to true maxes. I think a best case scenario for me would be to take advantage of comp adrenaline and hit between 396-402 squat and deadlift and 265-276 bench would would be 1080. Any total for my first meet would be a victory but 1050-1080 would be ideal. This is a USPA meet. I know several people who've competed in it who have only good things to say. I really wanted to do a meet in CA before I move to NY this summer and it was either SPF or USPA (unfortunately I couldn't find any feds that do raw comps in both CA and NY regularly).

Don't have a 10lb hammer and I've only maxed out on this lift a handful of times ever. First try was 25" on the 8 (~200lbs) and then last night (~222lbs). I think choosing this lift to be a stand-alone event is a great idea and I also think it will be very closely contested between several people. I imagine Clay Edgin and/or this guy Taylor who's competed before (if he competes) probably have it in the bag but it will be very close for 2nd/3rd. How are you doing on the hammer?

That be a solid first total at your weight class man you are really balanced between your lifts also. I actually wanted to compete with USPA also they have some meets here in the central valley as well.

I have had a few hover at around 25 inches on the 10 and hit consistently around 22-23 with both hands. I've only done two workouts with it one with daniel and one recently at my place, my right hand is not a 100% but still feels alright with this lift little off on thickbar/grippers. Yeah if clay competes he will probably win everything if he is even close to his strength level. Would be very fun to see him compete though since he has been a top tier strongman and grip athlete for years.

Edited by Stephen Ruby