Road To 1200

KRC

11.2.12 - C2W1

Deadlift: 5/5/10 @ 270

Speed DL: 10x1 @ 105 + bands

OLP: 3x8 @ 110

Very sluggish today. Ate carbs for the first time in 2 weeks as prescribed and didn't plan on deadlifting but went for it anyway but it was a mistake. Felt bloated and slow the entire time. Won't lift on carb day again.

TSG Negs: 5x1 @ MM1 Replica (160)

TSG OCs: 5x1 @ Filed BBM

Had a good first attempt at the MM1; it was closer than I thought it would be (but still a ways to go before being in 'closeable' range). Also had several good attempts on my BBM 5/8 (125) LH which I've never closed with that hand.

• Like 1

Hub: 8x2 @ 50

Hammer to the Face: 5x2 @ 16" w/16lbs hammer

Hammer DL w/coin: 5x2 @ 16" w/8lb hammer

(Lost the coin on the very last rep of that set :( First time losing the coin on any rep)

Rad Dev: 3x(4x20) @ 11.25/8.75/6.25/3.75

RD Hold: 35s (10 on, 5 off)

Squat: 3/3/10 @ 250

Stopped the workout here as after the tenth rep I got a very sudden and sharp pain all throughout the back of my head. Nothing was pulled or strained or anything like that, it was more "inside" my head if that makes any sense. Walked around, drank a huge bottle of water, even layed down in the stretching area breathing for 5 minutes, but it didn't improve at all and in fact kind of still hurts. Not sure what it was, though this has happened on a smaller scale and in a slightly different area several years ago while shoulder pressing. My guess is a combination of slight dehydration and blood pressure in the brain.

Anyway that's a huge PR regardless. Ninth rep was tough and I just went for the 10th and got it. Rep max calculators are showing me to be within 10-20lbs of my all time PR so this is good progress.

Did a little digging around and a lot of people online have described symptoms exactly like mine as exertion headaches. Wasan't really worried about what this was long term but it's good to know that it's relatively common. Apparently tight neck and upper back can exacerbate the issue so now I have even more reason to focus on relaxing, releasing this area.

Thanks man. Yeah it's just a pain in the ass at this point. Squat is responding very well to the new programming which I didn't expect. Think my goal of 345 by the end of the year is good to go.

• Like 1

11.6.12 - C2W2

Bench: 3/3/10 @ 200, superset with

NG PU: 3/3/3/8

DU BBR: 3x10 @ 125

Tri LO: 3x10 @ 245

DB Press: 3x10 @ 45 (all time db ohp PR, lol)

DB OH Ext: 3x10 @ 60

Vulcan V2: 10x3 @ Level 11 (previous PR was 6x2 reps--these triples today were easy)

Bailed on biceps to watch election stuff.

Let a rep or two on the bench not to push things too hard as I had a noticeable headache all day today, and "exerting" myself (i.e. lifting with held breath) definitely aggravated it. Same with the pull ups; actually the pull ups were the worst on my head, so I did all of them without holding my breath which was kind of weird.

Feel good.

Also, I forgot to mention that I got my IM hub tonite. Totally different texture, weight and dimensions than the FBBC hub. It's a quarter inch bigger in diameter, quarter inch shorter, and significantly lighter. Also much more textured. High hopes for my goal of 67.5.

Forgot to mention too that I had a dream I was smashing GHP7's and my hard BBGM for super fast parallel reps last night :whistel

• Like 1

Hub: 7x2 @ 51.25

Pro/Sup: 5x8 @ 29.5" w/12lb Hammer

IM Hub is giong to take some getting used to; the different dimensions especially (including a shorter pick height of 3 inches)make it less of a smooth transition from the FBBC hub than I thought. Will use for warm ups and extra singles after the main work sets until the end of this cycle in 5 weeks. I'd like to set PR's on the IM hub, but clearly it will take time for this thing to get worn in.

Preseason that thing with chalk. Makes a big difference. Good pulls bro. 60 will come soon.

• Like 1

Yeah man my hands feel really good on the FB hub, especially after having tried and failed (at about 3") with 52.5 on the IM hub. Felt like I easily could have pulled 60+ tonite on the FB.

Didn't you ahve a rather extensive seasoning process for your hub? My little grip area is extremely humid--my horne topz were extremely seasoned within a week of being back there--so I have that going for me, but what else did you do?

Got some down time at work, and can't help myself but go on a small rant about the forum for a certain company (sounds like- "bye-urn-find"): in short, it is the biggest joke of a forum in the online strength community. It's such a shame that one of the elite strength equipment companies propagates such asinine, infantile non-sense. If I wasn't already committed to grip training I'd avoid them like the plague (I already do to the largest extent possible).

It really boggles the mind that the owner of a company like this (and a PhD from one of the worlds elite universities, no less) carries himself the way he does in public. I'm sure that revenue for this category isn't world-beating as it is, but it really seems like they are purposely trying to go prevent as many sales as possible.

At the very least it's paradoxical that the company in many respects primarily responsible for the growth of grip training is simultaneously it's biggest black mark.

No real reason for this, I just sometimes happen over to that forum and literally every time I do I regret doing so and come away a little bit dumber. I don't ever plan on fanning the flames by joining there and making a thread about it, so there you have it.

Rub block chalk into the hub then spritz lightly with water. Let if fully dry and repeat a few times. It doesn't season the hub in the way of an implement rusting or pitting since it's painted but it just lays a bunch of chalk down quickly instead of putting in a bunch of workouts to do so.

11.9.12 - C2W2

Deadlift: 3/3/8 @ 225/255/285

Bailed here and didn't do assistance work. After the 7th rep I felt the headache coming on, asked myself if the 8th rep (which would tie a rep PR) was worth it, went for it, got it and got the headache again. It wasn't nearly as intense today as it was Monday, but still enough to be a substantial distraction. Happy with the PR tho.

Also, took my stance out a little further than it already is--thought about trying this after seeing Dan Green deadlift in the ST meet last week. I was skeptical but it felt great. Like, really great. Honestly it was the most solid feeling pulling I've done in a while.

Nice man. Technical tweaks can change so much sometimes. I work to refine technique everyday, even trying new stuff on the regular. Hopefully the headaches stop and you can push the new stance for PRs. And i'll have the Okie bar waiting if you want a big PR. Rated plates and all of course.

I might take you up on that in December when I max on all lifts man, thanks.

Press: 3/3/15 @ 85/100/110, superset with

WG PU: 3/3/3/10

JM Press: 3x8 @ 95

DB Bench: 3x8 w/60s

DB OH Ext: 3x8 w/65

DB Row: 3x8 w/80

Rocking Hammer Curls: 3x8 @ 30

EZ Reverse Curls: 2x20 @ 20, 6x3 @ 40 (only top half ROM)

TSG Negs: 5x1 @ MM1 (160)

TSG OCs: 5x1 @ Filed BBM (102)

Huge bicep & forearm pump, press rep PR and an 8-egg omelet PWO meal. Feelin' good.

• Like 1

Hub: 6x2 @ 52.5

Bailed on hammer work. Back room was 40 something degrees and never got into it, plus I started to feel the same pain in my right hand that I'm just getting over in my left toward the end of the hub work. Did a contrast bath tonite and will work on doing some massage on the thumb pad area. Do not want my RH to be out of the game.

11.13.12 - C2W3

Squat: 5/3/8 @ 210/240/265

OL LP: 3x12 @ 110

BE: 3x12 w/10lbs

Lost the 5th rep way forward on the squat, otherwise 9 or 10 reps would have been good to go. No headache whatosever today. Technique is getting dialed in and things are progressing very well.

Bench: 5/3/8 @ 210, superset with

NG PU: 4/4/4/9

Tri LO: 3x12 @ 245

BBR: 2x12 @ 125

Vulcan V2: 6x2, 1x8 @ Level 12

Poor sleep + the fish I ate for lunch not agreeing with me = cutting out the arm work. Bench top set was pretty bad; almost failed on the first rep... didn't recover until the 5th rep and only got 3 more. Was going for 9 or 10. Looking to crush 215 for 10 next time.

If all goes as planned, I should easily hit multiple singles at Level 13 next week which is a "chance 2" nationals qualifier, so that's pretty awesome. A 150lb gripper close for good measure would be nice tho :)

• Like 1

Hub: 5x2 @ 53.75

Face Lever: 3x1 @ 11"

Arm could have been more level, but all in all this was easier than I thought. 16lb to the face will happen before years end.

• Like 1

Thanks man. I thought it would take longer than usual (~12 weeks) to get the next lever up, in this case a 16lb'er, but apparently not. Don't want to put the cart before the horse, but I started looking at 20lb'ers online last night--it'll be a damn good day when the 20 is ordered and delivered.