IMG_20120722_114651.jpg

Nice phone book :D

7.23.12 C2W3D4

Deadlift: up to 1x8 @ 285

FG BB DL: 5x1 @ 190

Speed Band DL: 8x1 @ 135

Walking Lunges: 3x12 bw

Grappler Abs: 3x10 @ 15

Deadlift waas one of the most explosive, aggressive and just "together" sets I can remember ever having done. I'd like to think it's because of the speed pulls I rotated in 3 weeks ago, but most likely it's more due to the biggest a-hole in the gym walking up to me DURING MY SET and asking if anyone was using the squat rack attached to the platform I was pulling on. I don't know why but I was absolutely enraged when he said this. Hopefully he'll do it again during next weeks set, lol.

FG DL's were easy money due to the new hand position. Might go up 10lbs next week vs. 5.

2HP: 5x2 @ 147.5

Blobs: 2xF 45lb 1st Gen RH/4xF 35lb 1st Gen LH

Blob Isos: 2x1 @ 5s fatman RH/4x1 @ 5s 45lb 1st Gen LH

Not sure what happened LH, just wasn't there. Got the 45lb first gen to 6 inches both times RH. Something's not quite right here. I can break it quite easily every time but it just stops at 6" :shrug: Maybe I'll add in some banded pulls with lighter blobs to work the mid-range and lockout.

The 2HP was awesome on the other hand. All fast and easy, again. THat weight was my PR prior to running Blob KTA, and that PR came after several failed attempts at 147.5. Just pulled it for 5 comparatively easy doubles. It's also 2.5lbs shy of my all time PR. Feeling strong there.

great 2HP work man.

For the blobs two things come to mind, wrist activation and a blob rest. Sometimes a week off is needed then blobs feel great after a full wide pinch recovery. The other one, wrist activation, normally about that 6" mark the blob twists or leans. Either the wrist isn't being used to help curl the blob up or maybe even the grip you have on it is not centered in a way that when the blob leans towards it's neutral position you are no longer in a maximal grip position. I grab the blob off center on purpose so that way when it leans it leans right into a solid grip position. This was key to me lifting blobzilla, finding where to grab AND wrist activation.

great 2HP work man.

For the blobs two things come to mind, wrist activation and a blob rest. Sometimes a week off is needed then blobs feel great after a full wide pinch recovery. The other one, wrist activation, normally about that 6" mark the blob twists or leans. Either the wrist isn't being used to help curl the blob up or maybe even the grip you have on it is not centered in a way that when the blob leans towards it's neutral position you are no longer in a maximal grip position. I grab the blob off center on purpose so that way when it leans it leans right into a solid grip position. This was key to me lifting blobzilla, finding where to grab AND wrist activation.

This is great dude, thank you. I had no clue about either phenomenon, lol. Regarding wrist activation, do you recommend angling the wrist slightly one way or another to activate it? I remember seeing in this years Mighty Mitts for example, Mark Felix "tilted" all the blobs when he lifted t hem. Is that what you mean?

Regarding grip, I think overall this is my main problem for a variety of reasons, including the one you mention. My last three fingers can get on pretty much no problem, but the pointer finger barely has the last joint plus change from the second one down from the end and I've never felt comfortable or "locked in" on the bigger blobs. It seems like you're pointing out another issue which is where I hold my hand relative to the midline (i.e. the direction the handle used to be pointing) of the blob, but the awkwardness of getting my first finger on probably doesn't help. When you say off center, do you mean slightly off of this midline, i.e. closer to the ground as it were? If so I'll definitely give that a shot.

I've been going for a lot of days in a row trying to make up for missed time in the beginning of the month so maybe a day off next time is due, as well. Thanks a lot for the comments.

Vulcan: 8x2 @ L10

All solid. Setting is getting easier. Gave L13 a shot (CROM spring) and I set it to parallel surprisingly well but didn't get a close. The vulcan is really a tricky piece of equipment. I'm finding you ahve to spend a lot of time dealing with the set, and once you make progress with that you have to deal with the handle moving around in the hand due to no knurling + a good deal of force applied across a longer stroke.

Really valuable tool.

For the wrist, you'll notice as blobs get bigger they will have a more awkward mass. So to control this the wrist is actually involved with the lift too. Now, the level of wrist involvement changes based on personal strengths and weaknesses. Felix's pinch is under his wrist strength so he caters to getting a big lean to take weight off of the thumb side. I can't lean a blob like that but then again I don't have to. There are two mental cues that I discovered to getting a much more secure grip with the wrist. The first is to try and scoop the blob up like a wrist curl. You won't be able to curl the blob but you'll get that tilt onto your fingers. The second cue is related and that is to drive the fingertips through the blob as if trying to shove the blob. The two together is like a big scoop motion to a varying visible degree. The key is wrist flexion and fingertip drive through the blob in a kinda scoop motion. This helps particularly well when the fingers feel less secure than the thumb, but also helps take weight off the thumb via tilt.

For the hand positioning I place the thumb first and let the fingers get comfy on the other side. I prefer them spread out but many like them all together. For the thumb on a normal blob I'll place it at 1'oclock with the thumb still pointed towards the center of the face like the hand on a clock. That way when I pick the blob up it will rotate to where the thumb is now at 12'oclock but it feels more secure than if I just started at 12'oclock and tried to hold it like that. With blobzilla I found I was trying to grab it at 12'oclock and it wasn't working. Once I moved the thumb to right in between 12 and 1, on liftoff when the blob moved to neutral it then felt great. I lifted blobzilla for the first time to lockout the second I tried this when I kept dropped at the shin for a month. I have seen smaller handed guys just hang the index finger on the top of the blob and rotate the other 3 fingers in its place for an on purpose 3 finger blob lift. Sometimes just saying F you index finger, move over for the other fingers because they can get a better grip, just feels way better. I know it feels better for me to ditch the index finger than the pinky for a 3 finger lift.

Hope this makes sense and helps bro. Let me know if you want me to make a little vid to explain it. Something like this is almost better shown than described.

Woah epic response thanks a lot. I think I get the gist of what you're saying and I will definitely make the appropriate tweaks. A video like this could turn in to a really good resource for others as well if you have some downtime and feel like making another great tutorial, lol.

Thanks again.

I have seen smaller handed guys just hang the index finger on the top of the blob and rotate the other 3 fingers in its place for an on purpose 3 finger blob lift. Sometimes just saying F you index finger, move over for the other fingers because they can get a better grip, just feels way better. I know it feels better for me to ditch the index finger than the pinky for a 3 finger lift.

Oh, and I will absolutely try this. The first time I got my hands on a blob I just naturally went to the three finger position and lifted the 35lb 1st gen a few times. If I can get a good pointer finger position I'm stronger, but I will try the 3-finger lift in lieu of a comfortable, easy pointer finger position.

Right on bro. Let me know if those tips help or not.

I'll prob make a video soon. Someone else also asked for a pinch vid. And I just got a request for a beer review vid too. Weird rush of video requests as of lately. Lol.

• Like 1

2HP: 4x2 @ 150

Shallow Hub: up to 1x1 @ 43.0lbs

2HP: 4x2 @ 150

Shallow Hub: up to 1x1 @ 43.0lbs

I now have baselines #'s for the hub, stub, penny and ATB. I wanted these numbers to decide on which of the lift of the other three GripTopz in addition to the ATB I wanted to focus on after the comp. Gonna be the thick bar and hub.

I have a 10 week linear progression layed out and will use the ATB and shallow hub exclusively in order to set PR's on DO DL on a 2" axle (will be using 2 3/8" thick bar) and an FBBC/IM hub. The thinking is to train on similar lifts to the ones I want to PR on, but which are "disadvantageous" in one way or another relative to the goal lift (i.e. finger block on the ATB and shallowness of the hub). Really looking forward to it. Gonna shoot for goals of around 55 on the shallow hub and 175 on the ATB, with the hope that that will translate into about 70 on an IM hub and somewhere between 280 and 300 on a 2" axle.

Also, 4 doubles with my all time pinch PR, lol. Good training today.

That's actually a pretty solid base for a shallow hub lift. Most people cannot do that, especially on first try. Nice man. And appears the 2HP is coming along good too.

TSG RH Negs: 4x1 @ BBGM (150)

TSG RH OCs: 4x1 @ BBM (102)

ATB LH: various pulls

ATB RH: 4x1 @ 140

ATB LH: 4x1 @ 130

2HP: 3x1, 2x2 @ 152.5

Did the last double touch and go. After about three singles my hands were really warmed up and the doubles were almost easy. Shame this isn't an event in the comp, lol. Good to get it moving regardless.

Also did stub and penny lifts at their medley weights and got each no problem right with hovers left. Gave blobs a shot after that but crazy humidity + shot hands = no go. Hoping to not lose much blob strength going into the comp and pick up some fairly easy points there.

Deload ends today and going into third 5/3/1 cycle tomorrow. Gotta handle the deloads better going forward... i.e. actually doing them :(

Going for a body composition analysis at a local university on Friday. 20 bucks! Never had any kind of accurate reading on these numbers and it will be good to keep me motivated as I go back on the Anabolic Diet next week. Also doing full blood work at the doc's as per the book. Good things ahead.

• Like 1

Lol I posted that from my cell phone after a few beers last night (including one of Daniels home brews which was delicious); Level 13 close, not level 15. Still a PR haha.

HAHAHA! That explains the L15. I saw that and was like damn, that's practically a #3, kick butt stuff. Turns out you were tipsy, lol! Glad you like the brew.

2HP: 4x1 @ 155 w/hold at the top last rep.

FBBC Hub: up to 1x1 @ 56

The hub is SLICK. Far more slippery than a new IM Hub that I tried a few weeks back. Chalk doesn't stick at all, but to be fair, the loop for the caribiner on the FBBC hub is about 1.5-2" longer than IM's so I'm pulling from a higher position. Regardless I think I was good for more but made too big a jump after the 56 and was shot by the time I got to a reasonable next weight. I think hubbing 60 is worth a point in the medley on the IM hub--it will be close.

Here's a shot of all my gear minus grippers and a few other things in my 5x5 training area, lol.

IMG_20120805_130235.jpg?t=1344197410

Back to the gym tomm.

OHP: up to 1x5 @ 125

TSG RH Negs: 2x1 @ GHP 7

TSG RH OCs: 2x1 @ BBM

Gonna stick with the jack s**t template for the next couple weeks. Work is beyond bananas for the month of August plus a bunch of other stuff at home. Better to get minimum reps than no reps.

Very close to closing my 138lb GHP6. Gotta plan my attempts carefully next week--the GHP 6 is 138 but the BBGM is 140. I think I'm literally exactly the same distance from closing each so it'll come down to sacrificing weight (i.e. the 2lbs) to stay fresh or going right for 140 to take advantage of the narrow spread. One more ME grippers session later this week, then a week deload into the comp.

Squat: up to 1x5 @ 240

FG DL: up to 1x1 @ 215 - easy

1xF @ 225 - lost it mid-shin

1xF @ 220 - lost at the knees

1xF @ 220 - lost it mid-shin

Will shoot directly for 220 on Friday. I remember my first month training with FG's and I set the bar about an inch shy of lockout and couldn't even budge 225 so even though I still have a way to go on fat bar, I'll count this as a victory.

Really anxious to see where this puts me on an IM axle. Original goal, before I set up my training cycle, for comp next week was 265-275. I'll definitely be happy with 265.

• Like 1

Squat: up to 1x5 @ 240

FG DL: up to 1x1 @ 215 - easy

1xF @ 220 - lost it mid-shin

Will shoot directly for 220 on Friday. I remember my first month training with FG's and I set the bar about an inch shy of lockout and couldn't even budge 225 so even though I still have a way to go on fat bar, I'll count this as a victory.

Really anxious to see where this puts me on an IM axle. Original goal, before I set up my training cycle, for comp next week was 265-275. I'll definitely be happy with 265.

I love using Fat Gripz on DO deads or on other back exercises. I really think using Fat gripz so often has made my Rolling Thunder Numbers jump up recently. Good luck at the comp.

I love using Fat Gripz on DO deads or on other back exercises. I really think using Fat gripz so often has made my Rolling Thunder Numbers jump up recently. Good luck at the comp.

Thanks man. Never really trained fat bar consistently so I'm looking forward to see what carryover there will be to the IM axle which I lifted for the first time with no FB training before in February, and which I've been training for exclusively with Fat Gripz.

2HP: 3x1 @ 157.5 on wood block (59mm)

1x1 @ 162.5 on Euro (54mm) <-- 16.7lb device PR

^watching it on video, it went up way faster than I thought.

Stub: single @ 25

Penny: single @ 20, just making sure I can still hit these lefty for the medley.

Great training today.

That went up fast. Maybe another 10# in there. That pinch medley is calling your name.