Road To 1200

KRC

Bench: up to 1x5 @ 190

TSG RH Negs: 1x1 @ GHP 7, 1x1 @ MM1

TSG RH OC's: 1x1 @ BBM

Last day before the comp. Started my entire pinch workout with the Euro device which was a mistake. Going to keep the pinch block, do all my warm ups on that, and only use the Euro for true max effort attempts. Failed miserably at the weight I lifted pretty easily Wednesday. No worries though. Pinch strength feels really good going into Friday.

Also hit a new FBBC hub PR at 57.6 (I still think 60 on the new IM hub in the comp is doable) and 170 on the adjustable fat bar at 60mm for another PR.

• Like 1

8.14.12 C3W2

Squat: up to 1x5 @ 250

OHP: up to 1x6 @ 130

DB Row: 3x10 w/75s

Little pain in the groin/adductor so cut it at 5.

Bay Area Grip Challenge

Training was good going into this and taking hte week prior off + contrast baths went well and my hands felt really good.

Grippers: closed my GHP6 rated at 138 on my 3rd (of 4) attempts. The next gripper up was a BBGM at 150 which apparently was very close to being closed, i.e. well inside 1/4". Really surprised at that and very pleased. Highlight of the comp.

Pinch Medley: this did not go well at all. Can't even really remember all the events, but the blobs did not go well. I was lifting the 40lb 1st gen and getting the 45lb to 6" at will right hand going in and the 40 was more or less stapled to the floor yesterday. Lost points I should have had.

Axle: also not very good here. Was shooting for between 250 and 260 and hit 243, losing 253 at about 6" twice.

General Medley: lost five points here that I should have easily gotten. The 1-hand barbell lift, 3" axle, both fat handled dumbbells and the 60d (60d!) bend stopped me whereas I was expecting to get them all rather easily.

The take aways from this comp:

My gripper training is solid. I only did two-days a week leading up to this, one volume day with the V2 and one ME effort doing only negatives and OC's. Setting has always been a real problem for me, but even the 150 GM was cake this time after getting some good time in with the Vulcan. The programming was solid and the taper was perfect.

My pinch and axle training need more volume. I recover well from both events, and at about 3 weeks out (when I transitioned to singles) I think I peaked and strength went down slightly into the comp. Will either stay with triples and doubles for this for entire training cycles, or limit singles to one or two weeks max.

The main thing holding my axle DL back is my regular deadlift. My axle to o-bar ratio is basically normal for most guys (axle is at about 70% of o-bar), but if I can only deadlift 350, there's no chance of going beyond 250 axle which is bad. I'm going to keep hammering away on the fat bar training for my hands (because that could always be stronger, of course), but really focus on getting my deadlift up. My body is absolutely horribly designed for deadlifts, but at this point it doesn't matter. Just need to get stronger in the lift or my axle deadlift will keep me from placing in comps indefinitely.

The main factor that hurt me overall is conditioning. I am in bad shape, and after the pinch medley I was close to spent which is not good, at all. Two guys who look to be in good shape absolutely dominated the final medley, whereas I was totally gassed by that point (hence the 5 missed points). I think if I get my deadlift moving and get in better shape, these comps will go a lot differently.

All in all it was a fun comp, with a lot of new faces. Big thanks to Daniel and the sponsors! I was more involved behind the scenes on this one, and I'm starting to realize that promoting comps is hard work!

Oh and lots of people were levering the 12lb hammer in the medley, so I tried to showboat by leaving it on my forehead for a 3 count and then pop it back up--but it didn't pop back up, lol. I got it but it was wobbly and slow haha.

Excellent job man. That gripper gap was about the thickness of a paperclip. That close bro. Medleys are tough just for that reason, endurance. It's the best display of dominance for a grip. I think you're right, for pinch and thickbar maybe for doubles and singles and max less often. I've thought the same and that's what my new plan is starting next week. That sledge was funny. It came up, then fell down. You caught it and forced it back up.

Huge thanks for being such a big help for planning, equipment, scoring, judging, everything bro! It makes a world of a difference to have another grip nut to help make these events happen.

9/29 is the Intl. Pinch/Pull event. A few weeks of good training and PRs are bound to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been beyond insane lately and also I'm trying to stay off the internet in general a little more lately, so updates will be about once a week leading to Adam's comp.

First week of training done, today. I'm doing almost the exact same programming I did for the 2HP leading up to last weeks comp, but condensed into five weeks (15 training sessions). I think I may have started a little high @ 140 taking 2.5lb jumps every session, as I tore my thumb webbing pretty bad today at 145 near the end of the session, which never happens on my device (curved, soft wood).

I say I think I started high because with all the fat bar volume that I'm doing, my forearms are more sore than they've ever been, something I'm not really used to. I just finished taking a contrast bath up to the elbows and apparently I'll have to keep doing that because they're really very sore. That soreness kind of threw me off during todays pinch workout.

I hit this weight for six fairly easy doubles last time, and struggled today with seven triples. If I started five pounds lighter (which I should have), I don't think this would have been a problem for five triples after getting some good volume in with the lighter weights leading up to it.

I'll see how things progress with the soreness (I suspect I will adapt quickly), and keep an eye on the web tear. I may have to do a lot of hubbing and blob isos to make up for the inability to use the pinch device as really squeezing on that with a tear is unpleasant to say the least.

Things are good so far with the ATB, but again the soreness was not something I saw coming. Each week I'm doing two days of ATB, adding 5 lbs each session, and a third day of speed deadlift against bands, with fat grips, so I don't foresee a problem in progressing here, but if I have to I'll drop down in weight. Better to get a small PR and stay healthy than go for broke, get no PR's and be unable to train as frequently as one should.

• Like 1

I hope the thumb is healing up nicely. Normally takes me a week to recover from those tears. Doing 2HP only once a week sucks. Hopefully it's just this week for you. I had to design my plan to reduce probably for tears and so far is working. I get abrasions but it will callus up in a couple weeks. So far I'm liking my routine and I hope yours is going well too. We both could use some PRs come 9/29.

I hope the thumb is healing up nicely. Normally takes me a week to recover from those tears. Doing 2HP only once a week sucks. Hopefully it's just this week for you. I had to design my plan to reduce probably for tears and so far is working. I get abrasions but it will callus up in a couple weeks. So far I'm liking my routine and I hope yours is going well too. We both could use some PRs come 9/29.

Thanks, man. During Blob KTA, I tore both webbings at the same time and treated each differently (and did the same before, with different treatments), to see what was most effective. A lot of people say "give it oxygen" but that delayed the healing, in my experience, and actually made the build up and longer-term callusing worse. Now, when I get web tears, I immediately (like 30 seconds after it happens) wash it, put a good amount of neosporin on it, and cover it with a band aid. The only time I take t the band aid off is to shower and put a new one on, so it's literally only exposed for like 5 minutes a day. This has it usable within 2-3 days and fully healed within 5-7 depending on how bad the tear was.

I managed to not miss any training sessions as prescribed (2-hand pinching 3x a week) by lifting with a band aid placed to allowe the most area on my thumb as possible. It's a difference in hand positioning of only millimeters. Right now its fully healed and training is in full swing and going really well.

I hit my previous half-penny PR for four extremely easy triples yesterday, and the same with my 2HP PR prior to beginning the last cycle (150). This week, I will hit my adjustable thick bar PR for seven triples, and my all time 2HP PR for six doubles. Training is going very well and I'm expecting PR's on all events: goal for the Penny is between 30 and 35, 2HP 170-175, and axle 250-260.

Lifting is going good too. Took some time off of 5/3/1 to work on form and volume--I don't want to abandon it all together, but only doing each lift once per week has lead to breakdowns in form and I started regressing on a few lifts. New deadlift form is coming along and that will again be the main limiting factor on my axle pulls. Still, if I hit 260 on the axle at the comp, that's a 30lb PR over seven months without my regular deadlift improving much at all. As time goes on and my 1" pulls increase, I think I can get to a minimally respectable level of around 300 on the axle within six months which would be huge.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that the diet is going really well, too . Have stayed totally strict (minus one post-deadlift giant-burrito-necessitating emergency), and weight is down to 239 most mornings. 231.5 is possible by the comp and it would be nice to have some official numbers in that class for the comp.

• Like 1

Week three of the pinch/pull contest prep done. Everything still feels good. Adjustable thick bar work is going extremely well--pulled my all time PR for 5 very easy triples on Wednesday. Doubles start this week, followed by singles for the last week. Goal at the start of the program was 190, but I think 200 is doable.

Pinch is good too, though the intensity is definitely picking up. Pulled my all time device PR for 6 doubles, some of which were easier than others. The first rep is always fast and clean, but the second was a bit tough on some of the sets. Two more days of doubles, then into singles for next Saturday. Goal going in was 175 and that still seems about right. Last time I tested true maxes on both pinch devices, I hit 5lbs more on the true Euro, so if I can pull 180 in competition on a Euro I will be very pleased.

Squat feels the best it ever has. Pressing is going good. Deadlifting is not as good, but still solid progress. Thinking about doing a meet in late October in San Luis Obispo despite the distance, just to get one done. My #'s wont' be PR's but I have to get one under my belt. Training for comps has ignited my grip training, and I'm thinking doing the same for PL will have the same effect.

• Like 1

Glad to see you have a good program that you're responding well too. We're gonna grab some damn PRs this time around bro!

Things still progressing. Hit a 10# adj. thick bar PR for sets of 2, a 12.5# device PR on the 2HP (weights were actually 15# higher) with a good bit of room to spare, and an 8# half-penny PR. The real work is done. Time for singles to see where I am in terms of planning my attempts.

Right now I'm thinking 170 for a third attempt on the 2HP, and going for 175+ on the fourth depending on how the third goes. Penny third attempt should be 30, maybe 32.5, and will probably shoot for 35 on the last. Axle is still a wild card, but my deadlift has been feeling ok, so maybe 255-260 third if the first two feel ok, and then see what happens for the fourth.

260 Axle and 175 2HP would give me my goal weights for those two events, but will be just shy of the total.

Either way, things are feeling good, especially with the 2HP. The plan is to start a grippers and hub cycle after this, but I may do RT and 2HP just to keep things moving up on the 2HP. 3 months ago my PR was 150. 6 weeks later it was 157.5, and yesterday I pulled 165 for a pretty easy single on a device that I usually pull 5#'s less than I do on a real Euro. I'll play it by ear, but if I can get another 10-20lbs over three months on the Euro (i.e. up around 190+) I might just let it ride, plus the RT work would do me good, I think. The ATB is great, but it doesn't really work the thumb at all which is a huge part of the real DO Axle DL. Grippers are way stronger than my other two event lifts comparatively, and hub is just for fun to see how much I can lift so who knows.

• Like 1

2HP continues to go up. Five singles with 160 plus one rep at 167.5 which flew up. I mistyped the poundage increase on my PR's last post--160 is a 2.5# working set PR and 167.5 is a 10# all time device PR (12.5# in actual weight). Penny is near topping out--did five singles with 29lbs but a single with 34+ was stapled to the floor, and I got 32.5 about 3" off the floor three times. Maybe 32.5 will be the ultimate goal for that lift rather than a third attempt.

Still thinking about doing RT and 2HP next cycle. Things are getting a tad boring but the thought of putting on a good bit more weight for the 2HP is pretty enticing.

• Like 2

Keep kicking butt dude. I need to improve my 2HP also.

• Like 1

Gotta love being able to keep stacking on the weights! All that blob work must of layed alot of pinch foundation down. Steeves seems to like the RT program from Laine Snook. That sounds like a good routine to cycle through. Considering that myself if my axle program is a flop.

• Like 1

Cheers guys!

Off day today. Just never "woke up." Hit all four prescribed singles at 165, and lifted 172.5 to competition height (but shy of full lockout) for a single. Things weren't feeling that great and my left thumb felt a little tweaky, but I loaded up the real Euro to the same weight and it didn't move. Took off 10lbs and barely got it.

Missed all four attempts at my prescribed weight on the penny (31lbs) after that.

Only two more pinch sessions until the week off before the comp, so if I feel good I'll keep adding weight, if not, I'll just take some token lifts until then.

Took a deload on the deadlift and went for ME barbell press today. Deadlifts felt fine, but I need a break. ME didn't go too well--failed four times at 155. The press is a tough lift to find a true 1RM with, given that youre starting at the end of the eccentric. You really have to have very strong abs, back and triceps to get the bar moving from a position as disadvantageous as that one. I know I could ahve pressed this weight if the starting position was different, etc. etc. Picking it off the rack it felt like a feather, but I couldn't get it past my head. Just need to get stronger!

Pulled 185 on the ATB pretty easily, good for 5 to 10 more pounds. I'll go for that Friday. Gonna lay off pinching tomorrow as my left thumb doesn't feel good at all. Not sure what happened, but I'm playing it safe for now. May have one more scheduled heavy singles day on Saturday if it feels better by then, otherwise yesterday was it for pinching before the comp.

No training today. Was definitely not gonna pinch due to my left thumb, but planned on doing some singles on the penny, but got home from work and just passed out. There's gonna be layoffs in the spring/summer and I'm getting the axe when the time comes. In one way it sucks real bad, but in many others, it's really a good thing. In any case, they made the cuts official today and was just a shit day all around.

Passed out watching the Devon Larratt AW tutorial which led to some very bizarre, arm-wrestling-training-inspired dreams, lol.

ME ATB tomorrow and then a final pinch work out Saturday.

Alright, so training is done obviously; comp in 2 days. Training didn't end very well due to my left thumb. Cut my last two sessions altogether. It was off for two days then felt fine for a day or so. Then it felt real bad for another couple days and now its fine. Not sure how it'll do on Saturday, but I still think at least one PR is a lock, probably two.

Gonna pinch at a wider width on the Euro than I have before. I think my home training and the last comp were both 54 mm, so I'm gonna go for 59 (maybe 57 if we can work that out). My woodblock is 59 but the edges are fairly significantly rounded so a little less should replicate the width I train on.

Planned attempts (unless I feel very bad or very good warming up on a particular event):

Axle (comp PR 243): 213 - 233 - 253 - ??

Pinch (comp PR 146): 145 - 155 - 165 - ??

Penny: 25 - 27.5 - 30 - ??

Hitting the third attempts on all of those will be PR's in all events. Based on my training, the axle could be higher if I'm feeling good, and the pinch should definitely be higher provided I can get the "feel" right. I train on the wood block to save my thumb webbing, but I sacrifice feel which can ruin a PR attempt if it isn't dialed in.

5/3/1 resumes on Monday but until then, looking forward to a fun comp!

My device does 58mm bro, a standard width. That's what I pinch on. Looking forward to the event! Let's grip!

Comp Write Up:

Pinch: Hit 160 and change @ 54mm on my second attempt and failed at 166 twice. 145 was insanely easy as my opener and I chose to go to 160 next instead of sticking with 155. In hindsight I shouldn't have skiped 155, and should have pulled at 58mm. My thumb didn't feel too good at that width warming up so I went with 54 but once the weights got up there it felt too narrow. 160 is a 14lb competition PR but a good deal shy of an all-time PR.

Axle: Hit 238 (?) for my second and failed at 258 twice. Again, I didn't stick to my planned attempts and jumped 20 pounds for my third at 5lbs more than my goal for the comp. I think I genuinely miscalculated the weight and people started taking warmups/attempts before I realized it. 238 isn't a PR and not very pleased here. Need to get stronger in my 1" pull. Sounding like a broken record here. That plus adjusting my grip. Not once have my hands ever felt good on a 2" bar; I don't know why but I just can't get a good feel for it.

Penny: Hit 25 (?) for my first and failed at 28+ three times. I was checked out mentally by this point and didn't get a good feel on this device, either.

Pretty crappy results overall. Training fell off the rails for my last scheduled week, so I haven't really done much training at all for 10-12 days, in part related to my left thumb, which is in pretty bad shape right now; turning the doorknob when I got home was rough. Anyway, it was a fun time and it was good to see the grip comp guys again. 139lb, 16 YO Connor DL'd 293 on the axle in what he insists was only his second time deadlifting anything, ever, lol. Smashed all existing records for his weight class, the one above that, and the one above that. Good stuff.

Hub and Grippers start on Monday and I think it will be good to be off the pinch and fat bar for a little bit.

Thanks to Daniel for putting on another comp!

Thanks for helping out and competing bro! Don't get too hard on yourself. When you dial in experience on the devices you'll do very well. Let that thumb heal. Maybe avoid using it for a few more weeks. I'm taking a week off grip and gonna revamp my training focuses a little. I like 1 week vacations post comp. The arms love it too. We got to set up a training day next month or something.

Thanks dude. Great time yesterday. Jake and Brett came down to 1 point!!

It's fine, just frustrating that my axle constantly blows, lol. I think it's safe to say that the FG's are having minimal carry over if any at all for me. Not ready to ditch them completely as I can't train on a real IM axle yet, but getting real time in on a real axle would probably be good.

BTW nice work on three hours sleep yesterday, lol. PR on the axle, device PR on the 2HP and big penny lift.