Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Meant to say the 7 on #3 and 16 #2.5 was off hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Did grippers last night. Tried out a different method for a change, more of a bodybuilding style workout where i rested only 30 seconds between sets, doing as many wide / no set reps as i could for every set. I started on #1, then #2, #2.5, #3, and finally the #3.5. I missed the 3.5 during the workout but then rested a couple minutes and did it easy. Video of that is on channel.

Did grippers last night. Tried out a different method for a change, more of a bodybuilding style workout where i rested only 30 seconds between sets, doing as many wide / no set reps as i could for every set. I started on #1, then #2, #2.5, #3, and finally the #3.5. I missed the 3.5 during the workout but then rested a couple minutes and did it easy. Video of that is on channel.

Easy #3.5 close, glad to see you back at it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, read your training log few evenings. For me, as new to the grip stuff here is so much good information! And its very interesting to see your road to the #4. Your grip strenght isawesome, keep it up! Looking for your next logs!

Thanks

Yesterdays grippers..

All chalkless

Right

- BBSE choked clickers x 5

- COC #3 no set x 10

- COC no set #2.5 x 20

Left

- COC #3 no set x 5

- COC #2.5 no set x 10

- COC #2.5 no set x 10

Did 4 sets 25 reps extensors each hand after

• 4 months later...

Been a while since i updated..

Recently did 227kg DO axle at 105kg bodyweight and an now back hitting grippers up regular in another run at the 4 - hopefully this is the one.

• Like 4

Thanks. Last night did 15 wide/no set reps on #2.5 right and #2 left with no chalk/electrical tape on the handles. To keep position very tough like this but #2 left bit light still. The 71kg inch had arrived so after that i shouldered it around to the garage and did a couple deadlifts each hand. Definately a good bit thicker handle than an exact replica so clean and press on 78k one of these going to be tough.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to update as yet just upto high pulls / 5 reps deadlift each hand with 71kg and closed #4 deep set again other day. Grip fried from being so busy in work at mo so hard to train.

Started proper routine now though still struggling for time. Wide one hand plate pinch, thick handle grippers, thickbar hangs and extensors. Decided leave the inch for a while and just build base to work from for now. Did HG400 x 11 ccs no chalk first go. Not really getting caught up in numbers though am making every rep tough, no quick card inserts and hold shut every rep.

Will film when i can. Will be trying to get six 5kg pinch and three 15kg one hand pinch to get the thumb strength i need and only very gradual increase in gripper resistence.

Paul,

I enjoy reading your journal and I believe that you do what you say you do (well, you have videos to prove it). Really pulling for you to cert the #4 and basically be king. Stay consistent brother!

• Like 3

Paul,

I enjoy reading your journal and I believe that you do what you say you do (well, you have videos to prove it). Really pulling for you to cert the #4 and basically be king. Stay consistent brother!

Thanks. Yes consistent is what's needed, last run at #4 i was very near but sometimes when you are so obsessed with something you don't back off no matter what happens and ignore pain and a niggle turns into much more and you can't train. I will do everything i can to avoid that happening this time and not jump the gun.
  • Like 2

Paul, I have half your strength but have followed you and your videos for years and I also think you're the real deal. If I may, I have a suggestion.

Over at the IM Forum, Joe Kinney has written some extensive posts detailing his training methods. From what I've read, he has mentioned numerous times that once he was at a high level, the palm does get very beat-up from the gripper handle. It appears that the spot that gets the most "sore" is where the end of the handle "digs in" the palm. The reason I say this, is because for the past couple of years I have seen in some of your Log entries that you train "thick handled grippers" for this very same reason, ie: the "thin-handled" grippers take a toll on your palm! Soooo.... why not give Kinney's advise a go? By that, I mean coming up with a gripper that is very hard but has an "extended" handle, so that the end of the handle does NOT dig into your palm. This may enable you to train with regular-thickness grippers more frequently and not have sore spots on the palm.

This, of course, is just theory from someone who never went past a #2, so I'm just trying to be helpful. If what I wrote above is garbage feel free to tell me so :-)

Paul, I have half your strength but have followed you and your videos for years and I also think you're the real deal. If I may, I have a suggestion.

Over at the IM Forum, Joe Kinney has written some extensive posts detailing his training methods. From what I've read, he has mentioned numerous times that once he was at a high level, the palm does get very beat-up from the gripper handle. It appears that the spot that gets the most "sore" is where the end of the handle "digs in" the palm. The reason I say this, is because for the past couple of years I have seen in some of your Log entries that you train "thick handled grippers" for this very same reason, ie: the "thin-handled" grippers take a toll on your palm! Soooo.... why not give Kinney's advise a go? By that, I mean coming up with a gripper that is very hard but has an "extended" handle, so that the end of the handle does NOT dig into your palm. This may enable you to train with regular-thickness grippers more frequently and not have sore spots on the palm.

This, of course, is just theory from someone who never went past a #2, so I'm just trying to be helpful. If what I wrote above is garbage feel free to tell me so :-)

No of course is ok you make suggestion. Someone who thinks they know it all is a person who can not learn and i always listen to what people say.

This is something i have thought of before and actually done some kinney training methods, which didnt work for me at all. However i feel thick handle grippers are better to train on even if you are aiming for thin handle strength and also it's not just bruisinh, it's the stress on the tendons. I would be able to use very heavy resistence using extended handle and i feel this is too much of a risk for injury. My plan is to use only up to HG500 that i have ccs braced. If i can ccs this no brace for multiple singles, the #4 cert is more or less done.

By the way i don't think kinney really closed #4 or anything either. I tried #3 gripper close like kinney did #4 after getting new #4 ccs to 2mm from closed and it was not easy to do. He would have had to be able to do #4 tns for 10+ reps so why wait years after you first close it to certify when all you needed to do was close it? Makes no sense. Also his poudages dont add up from when i tried his training / his training methods just dont work.

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 1

I feel the only way he closed #4 in the video is if the particular gripper had a very tough sweep but very soft close / he was actually struggling with sweep and not doing it slow on purpose, but then the finish was very easy. Meaning a gripper that has same pressure almost all the way through the rom / very wide spread and very high mount.

Edited by Paul Savage

I understand what you say. Just to be perfectly clear: I wasn't suggesting using "Kinney's methods" per se (whatever they me be as for volume, squats, secret weapons or whatever else)... but just the extended-handle part, as I noticed that you easily hurt your palm because of using very tough grippers. That bit of advise makes sense, as the handle would go past the bottom of your palm, so it wouldn't "dig" into that same spot in your palm every time you train. At least it makes sense in my head, as I've never tried it. :-) But thanks for listening. Your insight as to how much strength was needed to do what he did is also appreciated, coming from a guy with your strength-level, so thanks for sharing.

By the way i don't think kinney really closed #4 or anything either. I tried #3 gripper close like kinney did #4 after getting new #4 ccs to 2mm from closed and it was not easy to do. He would have had to be able to do #4 tns for 10+ reps so why wait years after you first close it to certify when all you needed to do was close it? Makes no sense. Also his poudages dont add up from when i tried his training / his training methods just dont work.

"This is how grip should not be, you should not question proven athletes and have them have to post everything up showing spring size abd perfect videos / call them a fraud. Juha does all his pinch feats with easy plates he's gone out of his way to buy, did i once say anything about this? No i said congradulations juha, great pinch etc show nothing but respect for him, yet he shows nothing but disrespect to me. Classless act, grip should be about supporting each other and having fun doing the sport you love."

So it only applies to you, huh?

Edited by slazbob

Was he proven though? I never usually question anybody as it's far too negative a thing for me, think he is only one i ever have but as far as i know he never competed and like i said nothing makes any sense about it.

• Like 1

I understand what you say. Just to be perfectly clear: I wasn't suggesting using "Kinney's methods" per se (whatever they me be as for volume, squats, secret weapons or whatever else)... but just the extended-handle part, as I noticed that you easily hurt your palm because of using very tough grippers. That bit of advise makes sense, as the handle would go past the bottom of your palm, so it wouldn't "dig" into that same spot in your palm every time you train. At least it makes sense in my head, as I've never tried it. :-) But thanks for listening. Your insight as to how much strength was needed to do what he did is also appreciated, coming from a guy with your strength-level, so thanks for sharing.

Yes makes perfect sense. I tried similar machine to one used by him in video and he woukd need to use more weight than what i have read he used. Also i have found wrist roller has nothing to do with gripper strength. Negatives i don't think work very well at all, just none of his training methods done anything for me when tried, strength went backwards and i bruised palms very badly (not just the bottom spot) doing negatives with beef builder world class).

Kinney only has his gripper certs, vs Paul's competition results with other world class athletes like Steve. The assumption from closed threads is that Paul isn't as strong as ppl who've gone thru the cert process of "lower" grippers. It was kind like saying a smart and accomplished person without a college degree isn't as knowledgable as person with one (we all know this is ludicrous, very dumb ppl out there very educated). Paul has plenty of videos not necessarily COC 4 of him legit CCSing heavy grippers at least 3.5. Plus he's also very well rounded with video of a near 500lb axle. I'm amazed at the level of disrespect to a world class grip guy... Disappointing, that locked thread was very disappointing.

• Like 3

Was he proven though? I never usually question anybody as it's far too negative a thing for me, think he is only one i ever have but as far as i know he never competed and like i said nothing makes any sense about it.

In addition to his certification, he had 3 or 4 witness' who's no.4's were closed.

THEIR no.4's....not some "cooked" gripper.

I just found it humorous that you didn't like what they were saying about you...but turn around and attack Joe.

simply because YOU couldn't perform how Joe did, the man is a fake.

Well, anyway...time to get this done, Paul!

• Like 1

In addition to his certification, he had 3 or 4 witness' who's no.4's were closed.

THEIR no.4's....not some "cooked" gripper.

I just found it humorous that you didn't like what they were saying about you...but turn around and attack Joe.

simply because YOU couldn't perform how Joe did, the man is a fake.

Well, anyway...time to get this done, Paul!

It's not that simple. If i'm close to a feat not even guys like mark henry, rich williams, laine snook, brian shaw, mike burke etc have been able to do nowadays (when everybody is a lot stronger than years past) then how could joe, who's literally half or less than all these guys, be able to be so rediculously far ahead of them? As said, he would have to be able to tns a #4 for 10+ reps. Unless thst gripper is nothing like a normal #4, it's not something i'm just going to say ok to when his training methods don't work.

Never heard of joe closing other #4 grippers, who's did he close? Any video's? What witnesses?

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 1