Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Yeah, that's the plan, same with clean

Half penny upto 15.8kg then 3 drop rep sets starting 12.7kg

Sunday

Vulcan v2 20mm block set to lvl23 x 2 plus couple drops

Today

15 dips (wobly setup so much harder) plus 15 push ups off bar - no time as interupted

Grace (30 reps for time) with one leg box squats alternating in 1 minute 26

Bodyweight = 121.75 clothed (no shoes) sunday night. Pretty flabby. Need some more muscle work but been struggling to find the energy as works been super tough in the heat wave.

Level 23 on the Vulcan is crazy stuff man, especially the set is sick. Always hard to find time to train besides everydays life.

Just been doing bare minimum on grippers, dont want to bruise my palms again and the other events need more focus. Hopefully lvl 26 20mm set in a few months.

Level 23 on the Vulcan is crazy stuff man, especially the set is sick. Always hard to find time to train besides everydays life.

No doubt but he could do a lot more I think. I have done level 21 on the vulcan 20mm set and it didn't feel much harder then average 3.5 gripper so level 23 probably bit higher though. He is good for 200+ on the TSG so he could probably do level 27 I think. That would be really cool to see and don't see anyone else doing that.. Only person who has a stronger crush them him right now is nathan holle.

You hold your weight really well man I had no idea you weighed that much. What is your height again? Are you doing more crossfit type workouts right now also? Trying to drop some weight maybe or just to try something new?

No doubt but he could do a lot more I think. I have done level 21 on the vulcan 20mm set and it didn't feel much harder then average 3.5 gripper so level 23 probably bit higher though. He is good for 200+ on the TSG so he could probably do level 27 I think. That would be really cool to see and don't see anyone else doing that.. Only person who has a stronger crush them him right now is nathan holle.

You hold your weight really well man I had no idea you weighed that much. What is your height again? Are you doing more crossfit type workouts right now also? Trying to drop some weight maybe or just to try something new?

I don't think 27, at least not on the gripper i have. On a couple of the original vulcans i tried i could do that but not on most of them. On the one i have lvl24 is 4+ i would guess. I think 27 or 28 possible without the block this year but 26 would be good block insert. Yes Nathan with deep set has done a bbpro according to chris james training log. This would generally be around 4.7-4.8 from ratings i have seen and my best like this is currently a hard 4 of around 4.4. I'm thinking he should be somewhere in the ball park of 0.3-0.4 stronger on coc scale.

I'm roughly 6 foot 3. Right now is as heavy as i have been for a while (heaviest ever is 127kg). Trying something new really, have been watching the games and i think it's good especially for when you are stuck for time. I will be keeping crossfit style workouts in the mix and try work my weightlifting more also.

Grip felt fairly fresh so wanted to get another sesh in (one more after this then rest before comp), only one i felt i was badly recovered for was the thickbar (forearms tight etc)

adjustable thickbar to 119.5kg then reps at lighter weight (didn't scale)

levertop underhand to 43.4kg

half penny to 16.1kg then reps at 12.7kg

50kg plate row x 15

Edited by Paul Savage

Am sore in forearms and tendons hurting in hands so decided that's enough, i'll leave it now. Would rather be over rested than under, plus i am working up until this sunday so will only rest after this truthfully.

Overall it's been a pretty successful prep, far too short but did what i could so i'm happy with it.

Yesterday i did a couple sets of one arm push ups and some double clap push ups ( not stopping general training yet, just the grip stuff). Sore in core from this today.

I have started riding bike to work and back, going to do this from now on. Means 2 hours cardio each week. Should keep my heart healthy. As said, bit flabby right now.

Going on bike ride later too and will do grace with 50kg plate row.

Cycled home, had a drink of water then did 50kg plate row grace in 1:44.4

Morning bodyweight was 19 stone 1/2lb or 120.8kg - before breakfast, lightish clothing

Bar push ups grace in 1:39.7

Also should note i probably done an hour of boxing practice in the last 3-4 days (new salesman in work did boxing for 12 years, he teaching me). I learn very quickly but my shoulders are tight.

Finished at worlds strongest hands competition. Some interesting things happened today, in and outside of competition. Full write up after results. For now - food!

• Like 1

Worlds Strongest Hands 2013 - write up

Got about 3 hours sleep the night before due to heat (the bedroom in our house is very hot room for some reason) so wasn't exactly feeling lively coming in. Weighed in 121.9kg.

Event 1 - vulcan gripper v2 20mm block set

Messed my warm ups up a little with a bit too big a jump to lvl 18 but when i realized this i knew i had 20 no problems and felt pretty sure i could get the 23 i was after but 24 today i felt like it wasn't there (my best training result). Unfortunately i was unaware of a ruling in that your arm couldn't touch your body during the set. Reason being in that the last time i competed, David was judging and ruled that it was ok as long as the block is inserted and you close it. I don't think i have ever tried to deep set a vulcan without bracing it against my leg and wasn't aware of this rule until doing my first attempt so had no practice with it. Level 20 was set out of position but closed pretty easy, level 21 i just couldn't get set right and ended up missing it by a hair. Ending up with level you have done for 9 reps in training is not the best start!

1st place (joint)

Event 2 - adjustable thickbar

Had a play around with the handles in warm ups, the smaller handle (only tried it for one lift previously) felt a lot better in the hand but felt like i probably was stronger at 60mm, still not sure. Warmed up to 100kg, felt heavy, 108kg warm up, felt light, then worked my way up to 120kg with more there. My thoughts here were that a number of people could jump in at 125kg then miss 130kg so i decided to go 126kg instead of 125kg. Missed it by a cm or less! In hind-side, this was a big mistake.

11th place

Event 3 - half penny

This felt good in the warm ups but as it got heavier my technique felt off, not sure what i was doing differently but couldn't match what id done in training, even on a more seasoned apparatus. My best lift was just under 15kg on the day, expected 17kg seeing how this setup gave better grip than my brand new one. Poor.

8th place

Event 4 - levertop underhand

I felt like i was having a bad day, think the heat (suffering with some nasty sun burn now) and lack of sleep was getting to me but i felt like this one would be okay, id done a comfortable, 4-5 second hold at the top of the lift with 42kg in training and i knew with David not competing, that would be enough for top spot. Warm ups felt okay but not great and then i opened with a weight that id done no problems, every session - fail. Ball fell off and something about my positioning was wrong. Tried it again, ball fell off second attempt. Third time, again, felt terrible but just about managed with really just strength alone. This took a lot out of my wrist, was very sore following this and 34kg was a no go, had nothing left. I don't know what was different, id have to mess around with it in training, maybe i was using an unconventional starting position. Another poor result to end a terrible performance.

8th place

Overall - 4th place

The outcome is a pleasant surprise and if anything would have gone right for me on the day i would have got 3rd as i was only 3 points a drift and 2nd if i couple things would have gone right but that's life. The result is far better than expected with only 3 weeks specific training and pretty much a nightmare on the day but i knew with me only doing these events a few times the results could end up anywhere. Obviously i wish i would have took 125kg on the thickbar and made the podium!

Now to what went well. After the comp i had a play with a bunch of davids stuff, started with a bunch of ccs triples for speed on a 3, then i did some pinch of 6 10lb plates, managing 6 reps with a hold. Lifted the inch, blob and two 20kg plate pinch each hand. Hub pinched upto 25kg in weight on a 20k plate hub each hand. I then went to the zenith 4, did 5 reps each hand mms, then decided to see if i could ccs a 3.5 after everything id done (a lot more than stated!), david didn't have one but pointed to an elite in that ball park, got it to a hair off and probably could have had it but was hurting my arm trying to close it. I then tried the zenith 4 with ccs, which i think i got very briefly left before it came 1/2mm open, then right with a near miss (this would be no problem at all fresh). After this i did a high pull on whatever weight steve failed on the hub pinch and tried a hard 20k plate david brought out to only very slight movement (tough one). Very happy with my overall grip strength in this after comp lifts and especially the hub pinching as it turns out I'm better than i thought at it. Hub is something i don't do a whole lot of in work compared to other kind of grips, although i have been trying to use it more this year (i hub grip the vinyl/carpet tube ends to pull them off the delivery van etc).

Hopefully get a couple videos up later, though didn't get many.

Not letting me copy and paste the link but video on channel.

Edited by Paul Savage

August 5th 2013

Bit of forearm massage and some stretching an felt like i could do a little bit before I'm off on hols..

One legged box squats 3 sets of 6 reps each leg

half penny to 14.0kg x 2 plus 12-15 singles (right hand just singles and struggled)

paused push ups off plate 3 sets of 10 reps

15kg bp wide hub deadlift x many each hand

15kg bp wide hub high pulls x 5 each hand PB

50kg plate romanian deadlift/shrug 2 sets of 6 reps (stretching hamstrings at the bottom)

Nothing major obviously but happy with the graft. My hub has improved hugely since 2009, never high pulled one of those 15's for more than a dodgy single in the past (will start listing PB's as i need to follow them more closely).

Going to try my very best to get at least one video up a week after holiday though I'm away again as soon as i get back (work related).

Time to start thinking of end of year goals. Couple i would like to get are

- ccs of 2005 gr8 spring #4

- 140kg adjustable thickbar

- 18.5kg half penny

Will set more as training goes on. Simple aim for next year is to cert the 4 and win worlds strongest hands contest. Ivan did very well this time, now 2 time champion, David also when hes competing, fantastically consistent so this requires being world class or the best in every test. This is what i have to work for.

August 6th 2013

got one more session in before holiday tomorrow..

Grippers tns to double coc3 (not challenging)

Hornetop to 76.2kg then 4-5 inch up with 83.3kg

Stub lift to 16.75kg

Shallow hub to 20kg high pull and deadlift with 15kg bodypower plate plus 5kg added

August 7th 2013

This is definitely the last as I'm in Portugal later tonight (motivation is VERY high to train after the comp)

adjustable thickbar w/ 60mm handle
- 53kg x 5/5
- 73kg x 5/5
- 90kg x 3/3
- 95kg x 3/3
- 100kg x 3/3
- 105kg x 2/2
- 95kg x 5/5
- 75kg x 12/12

paused push up off plate with 20kg plate on back x 8

Just got back..

grippers credit card set to RB330 right / RB300 left
hornetop to 82.5kg each hand
half penny to 15.5kg
stub lift to 16.6kg with a hold
hub lifting 15kg bodypower plate plus 5kg each hand then reps at 15kg
two 15kg plate pinch x reps each hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFg-eHpmlA

Push ups off 3" thickbar x 20

Bottom up one legged squats 3 x 1 each leg

Struggling with pain in left wrist whilst working. Is from levertop.

bodyweight = 124.7kg pre workout (shoes/light clothes)

One hand barbell deadlift to 120kg x 4 (1 rep PB i think)
Two hands pinch 60kg x 10
half penny 10.5kg x holds for time

bloody tripod randomly fell down and smashed me camera on warm ups :mad: webcam till new one arrives

My 27th birthday - getting old!

Bodyweight = 124.0kg before heading to work (no shoes)

Underhand grip pull ups on 3" thickbar x 10

Overhand grip rows on 3" thickbar x 10

Front/rear levers x 15

Extensors x 15