Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Axle vid not embedding

Added 4 video too.

Also managed 5 x 1 ccs on RB300 off hand yesterday.

Ok so i've been thinking about it a bunch and decided that since i pretty much have to be ccsing new 4 with either hand to get a shot at the cert/can't go for this in august, instead i'll go for HG500 cert. If it still comes with the $500 bounty i'll gladly put that towards a holiday (as far as i'm aware this is still the case), however this is the only other cert i've ever really wanted to do. It may not be as hard as the 4 cert knowing what i know now but it's certainly a harder gripper and a very tough cert. It may or may not happen by august but i'll give it my all and we'll see what happens.

For certification, the rules are you can set the gripper no deeper than 2 inch before commencing the close, and you must hold it shut for 2 seconds. You provide video of this and then they can decide to take the gripper for testing if they choose. I will also try to get as high as i can on the axle as well as plate pinching (i feel the 3 have good carry over to each other). After this it's rest time.

• Like 1

For whatever reason my hands, although beat up, felt ok enough to train again (after massage, stretching and contrast baths). Started to work on HG500 cert/ccs close. Did some braced/spring held work. Managed to ccs my easier one (#137) doing this and mms my hard one (#105). Then did HG400 for 20 ccs. Left hand wasn't working well for the grippers today, couldn't get the 500 (#137) shut no matter what i did, bracing didn't make any difference. Manged 30 reps mms on HG400 afterwards. Also managed six 5kg pinch with them tied up using a band.

Videos uploading..

Forgot to say i also put my thor bbp in a choker, that was a heck of a workout in itself! (very, VERY heavy)

Not letting me copy/paste again. Will post links when it does.

Quick update.

I've bruised up both my hands (right from hard hg500, left from bbpro) and hurt my right arm again in the joint / pretty much gave up on the idea of certing the 500 before august as i cant train grippers. Instead i thought id have a go at worlds strongest hands comp. Never trained two of the events an i'm not particularly good at adjustable thickbar (if you have not tried it, it's tough for big hands, i cant get much purchase on it) so i don't expect to do that well. Just doing it as off work an its not that far away.

Dude. This is just ending with an 'anti-climax' this way. Sorry to hear this, because you were very close to having a chance on certing on the #4. Without starting the whole deal again, I think that consistently closing the #4 CCS is asking to much from the body. There are also people that lead normal lives besides training like raising kids, working full days etc. and thus having to keep up that kind of strength and staying on that peak without getting injured early or late is pretty much undoable. Sick stuff overall you have shown. You are very much in place at any WSH comp if you ask me.

It's not ended bro! It's certainly very difficult (at least for guys without crazy genetics), but not undoable, and i WILL get it done. I'm 100% sure.

At the end of the day, if i do well or badly at worlds strongest hands, and if i make any more progress with grippers or not, this year has been a productive year. This year i reached the point where i closed average 4 with wider than mash monster width paused set both hands, as well as HG500 both hands. I have also learnt a lot, which is of course most important.

Sorry no updates. The better half has been in hospital since last week so my mind not really on training right now but did 3 grip sessions last week, the last doing 10 reps sets with 100k in plates on the thickbar. Have ordered other stuff but it's not arrived yet. Did four 20's each side on smith bench last night an three 20's a side for 15 reps. Weak as a kitten compared to some but good for me.

Mrs still in hospital so been going straight to her from work every night an staying as long as they let me. Not even had time to train, never mind the focus. Got back late last night to find my equipment from world of grip been delivered so had give it a try. Did to 10k plus the setup on key pinch, which found tough. Liquid chalk wasnt working well which didnt help (ordered some proper stuff) but not the best. The v2 gripper did to lvl 21 each hand. Bit weird, again, lack of chalk didnt help. Then went to the thickbar upto 109.0kg scaled for 10 reps. Finished with singles upto 30kg plus setup each arm on the wrist event.

• Like 2

Palms still hurting on the gripper by the way, think gonna have leave training at that for that event.

• Like 1

Think i got the vulcan wrong, think i did lvl 24. Was 7 notches each side with a silver spring anyway.

I wish your gf a speed recovery !

Thank you for keeping up this log; you are a big inspiration.

Thanks

Did some more training for wsh last night. Not the best after working a late night an also destroying my fingers delivering a (rather large) mattrass in the morning). Half penny was about 0.75kg stronger (so still v weak). Did manage to do gripper, just kept it light (upto lvl 20 for 9 reps), adjustable thickbar i had no power for 103.4kg for 4 reps), probably due to matrass earlier, and levertop i did 3.75kg more than last time. Liking these events, not brilliant at them.but good to train on. Think getting the key pinch up will help my overall hand strength.

July 15th 2013

vulcan gripper v2 20mm block set to lvl 23 x 3 right, 2 left, then lvl 24/23+band x 1/1

adjustable thickbar to 115.4kg

half penny to 14.1kg

underhand levertop to 40.7kg

half penny holds for time with setup +6.25kg and +5kg

Finished up with a 10 minute circuit of 10 reps x 2 of 50kg plate rows/push ups, alternate one leg box squats/20kg reverse curls, then 20 reps push ups to finish - took me 9 minutes 40 seconds (I'm fat and out of shape!)

Edited by Paul Savage

July 15th 2013

vulcan gripper v2 20mm block set to lvl 23 x 3 right, 2 left, then lvl 24/23+band x 1/1

half penny to 14.1kg

Finished up with a 10 minute circuit of 10 reps x 2 of 50kg plate rows/push ups, alternate one leg box squats/20kg reverse curls, then 20 reps push ups to finish - took me 9 minutes 40 seconds (I'm fat and out of shape!)

Good numbers on the levertop, I'm not too good at it, keeping that ball bearing balanced is annoying!

Nice to see I could beat you on the adj. thickbar though! ;)

July 15th 2013

half penny to 14.1kg

Good numbers on the levertop, I'm not too good at it, keeping that ball bearing balanced is annoying!

Yeah. The thickbar is a really up and down one for me, have done 109kg for 10 reps pretty easy and was planning the same with 115 today but only managed a couple. Not sure why that's happening.

July 15th 2013

half penny to 14.1kg

Yeah. The thickbar is a really up and down one for me, have done 109kg for 10 reps pretty easy and was planning the same with 115 today but only managed a couple. Not sure why that's happening.

Hope it all comes good for you on the day then mate.

I'm not expecting to factor much overall, just win the gripper an hopefully hit pr's in the others. The levertop could end up absolutely anywhere because of the balls. I've failed 15kg less than maximum a couple times so never know with only 4 attempts.

10 alternate one leg box squats, 10 spot jumps x 3 rounds in 1:51

1rm clean in 8 minutes, 1 minute rest, 3 rounds 5 pull ups/5 snatches @ 60kg
- 100kg/3 minutes 48 seconds

Exhausted an left hamstring tight as hell. Calfs destroyed after this. Glutes really sore from the one leg box squatting. The clean i simply don't know how to dip under and catch the weight, the 100k was really easy, i failed 120 4 times, almost hit myself in the chin with the bar but couldn't get under it. Thats the first time i've done proper snatches, which felt awesome and a lot more natural. Actually dip'd under a little bit as i got tired.

Take the time to learn the full squat version of the snatch - its well worth the trouble.