Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Forgot to say, it wasnt lvl24 i did on the vulvan v2 in training, it was 21 as i originally thought. Mines a bit harder than the one used in contest level for level but reason i thought it was level 24 was because it says chrome spring is supplied with v2 gripper on the spring info. I'm guessing the springs have been changed an that hasn't been updated.

Congrats dude. Wish I was as strong as you are when I was 27 haha (not wanting to sound old).

Cheers bud. Hope to be a lot stronger when I'm 28!

Morning bodyweight before work (shoes on) = 125.6kg

Cycled to work and back

Grippers credit card set to HARD COC#3.5 x 1 right, to 1/8 of an inch left
Hornetop to 85.4kg x half way up
Adjustable thickbar to 112.0kg x 6 reps
Ironmind pinch block to 31.5kg x 2

Need some rest for grip now, nagging injuries and tendons need a break so that be it till next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKhssWn3Zng

Been really ill, still not well but felt like i had to try do something today as I'm probably not going to get a a chance to do much else all week.

Grippers to COC #3.5 credit card set x 1
Hornetop to 75.5kg x 3
Adjustable thickbar to 116kg x 2
1" spinning handle 125.5kg x 1 (just testing it out)
Ironmind pinch block to 30.1kg x 5
COC#3 x 5/5 20mm block set
Push ups x 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik-cIufxTgE

Feel a million miles better than yesterday..

Single arm lateral raise x 12/12

Single arm bent over lateral raise x 12/12

Single arm front raises x 12/12

Rows on 3" thickbar x 12

Paused push ups on 3" thickbar x 12

One legged low box squat x 5/5

Hyperextensions x 12

Load of stretching

Just something to keep me ticking over, going away for 2 day shop build thursday so can't do too much (building a carpet shop is tough stuff). Right arms still painful.

Cycled to work and back again, gonna try keep that up.

Decided to do this strongman comp - http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/Salt-Ayre-Classic-2013-18...

Not gonna be doing worlds strongest hands comp till late next year and heavy grippers is hurting my right arm so can't push for the 4 at mo either, plus it be good to bring up my all around strength for couple month. Still gonna add in some extra grip stuff.

Expected result is 390 yoke for 10-12 metre, 64kg dumbbell for couple reps, 250kg deadlift for couple reps, and either 130kg or 160kg farmers. Depends if i can pick the 160's up, have done a slow 25m with that weight before but ain't done any heavy lifting other than grip for good while so really gonna struggle picking 700lbs up in 2 months. Will see how it goes, got some farmers waiting at royal mail.

Was watching ironman (actually never seen it before, awesome film) at like 11 thinking about how i got a strongman comp coming up an i was thinking i wish i could be doing some dumbbell press right now, then i was like oh yeah i got my own gym i can do whatever i want..

Bodyweight before training = 121.0kg (shoes/shorts+tshirt) - down roughly half a stone from sickness, was eating 1k cals a day tops so not surprising.

Single arm strict dumbbell press with fat gripz
- 16kg x 25/25
- 26kg x 15/15
- 31.3kg x 10/12
Plate standing strict press 50kg x 10

Was pretty happy with this considering i have not done anything overhead in probably 3 months.

Cycled to work an back again. Had to sprint this morning as my somewhat challenged phone said it was 9:07, then i watched lalas's 6 minute arnold prep vid from last year, checked the time again and it was 9:27! Needless to say i sprinted it..

Bodyweight = 121.2kg in the morning before work

Deadlift to 230kg with rehband belt
Shrugs on trap bar with 2" grip +90kg x 15

Didn't want to do much with the shop build tomorrow (me and one other guy have to wind on 72 rolls of carpet in 2 days, with each of them anywhere from 180-320kg). I guestimate i can pull a clean 242.5kg now being a bit fresher and normal belt. For me that's not a terrible starting point, have not pulled in a good while and it's always been a bad event for me.

Just got back from Penrith. We put on 50 rolls yesterday then finished the other 20 off and helped sort everything else out to have the shop ready today. This was the hardest physical thing i can remember doing, it was insanely tough. I had almost nothing left all day today, was just trying to stay on my feet a lot of the time. About 30 rolls in was when we hit the first big wall, i started the cramp in my left forearm, then Dave the same and in his hand, then by the time we had done 40 i was cramping really badly in both biceps and my left forearm. At 45+ i could barely move my arms and we were having to do intervals to get each roll on. Today was 6th, 7th and 8th winds to get it finished, and i couldn't have done anything more.

SOOOOOO sore

Trained with me bro today, he's doing the comp too

Used fat gripz on everything..

Strict single arm dumbbell press to 36kg x 9/9 PB,7/5,4/3
Incline dumbbell press 36kg's x 11, 7
Smith bench with slingshot to +120kg x 5,4

Really happy with this considering how f'd i was, bench was a bit crap, usually a lightish weight but have not done them in ages an pretty much hit tricep death on the dumbbell.

Just pop'd on scales before nipping shop - 124.6kg (going back on nicely)

Had to train today as me bro is fishing tomorrow. Was still a bit (bad word filter)ed and tight from the store build, struggled to get in any kind of good position but got 240 up easier than 230 last time.

Deadlifts
- 60kg 2 x 5
- 120kg x 3
- 160kg x 1
add rehband
- 200kg x 1
add belt
- 240kg x 1
beltless
- 200kg x 4
- 160kg x 7

Farmers shrugs with fat gripz
- 38kg x 12
- 50.5kg x 12

One hand plate pinch two 15kg x 10 reps each hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztRdYzJ0As

Morning bodyweight before work = 124.0kg

Still biking it to work and back, not every day but 4 days a week. Gonna stretch a lot rest of this week, felt like crap pulling yesterday. I think 260's there soon though. Front squats and lunges in a couple days.

• 1 month later...

Not updated for a while as not been doing much grip related. Needed the rest to give injuries chance to heal. I have been convinced to try boxing so this past week been getting up every morning and shadow boxing plus skipping and goung a club next wednesday. Obviously boxing doesnt require you to deadlift 300kg so my weights training is going to be more reserved but still be doing strength training and certainly grip training as 1, i still have the same goals for next year in certing the 4 and winning wsh, and 2 i think it helps in punching power and to prevent injuries to your hands and wrists.

Yesterday i did my widest coc3 for 8 no set reps no chalk. Just gonna keep upping the reps using that for a bit and slowly work my way up. No pain in arm now.

• Like 1

Closed #4 and HG500 yesterday at end of boxing session. Just to see if i could really.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Messed my left wrist up at wsh, did it warming up on last event, that's why I lifted so much less than training (felt something happen but didn't think much of it at the time). Also tendon pain in right arm. Both okish now. Still not done anything major, just up to 12 tns no chalk on 3, will be going heavier soon.

• 1 month later...

Update - Now training at a gym for strength and conditioning that has loads of good stuff for grip training, including a full rack of 2" thickhandle dumbbells upto 80kg and thickhandle kettlebells to 64kg. Will also be taking some of my kit down there so everything is set for training. I'm also at a high starting point with grippers, got 4 down to 1/8th with very slight set no chalk yesterday. Not been training them. Will start doing so between squats.

• Like 3

Oh absolutely. Unless I keep getting injuries I can't see it not happening this year and I'm going to try stay as smart as possible with training and make sure I don't do too much too soon. I know I can do it I just have to be patient.

• Like 1

Oh absolutely. Unless I keep getting injuries I can't see it not happening this year and I'm going to try stay as smart as possible with training and make sure I don't do too much too soon. I know I can do it I just have to be patient.

you are pretty much on of the best contenders man. Good to see you back training and go get that cert. You should have gotten your attempt last year but let's not go over there again. Just meaning to say you have the strength, and certing a #4 is very much in my opinion still a peaking strength feat which cannot be held tight for a very long period. I thought I saw Michael Burke also attempting a #4 with a CCS in a video, can find it back but I am sure if he got it he would also be granted the cert so why not you. I don't remember him doing several CCS-es before that, with all due respect to the man's strength of course.

Although it's very hard I feel it's possible to be able to ccs a number 4 year round. Progress is slow now but I am getting just a little bit stronger each year, a few years back I needed to peak to get the 4 with deeper set, then it got to the point where I could close it deep set year round, then I got to the point where I could consistently get it to 1/8th, then last year I got it to the point where I could consistently get it to 1/16th so hopefully this year I can get it done but if not I'm still young and have time.

One thing I'll be doing differently this year is getting bigger and stronger all around. I have played around with being lighter and heavier but this year the aim is to get to 300lbs bodyweight and get stronger in the gym.

Nice, I imagine that at that level of crushing grip strength, gains are very, very gradual. Well good luck man, if you do it you will be the king of grip. :bow

Paul would it make any sense to get the hardest 4 you can find and CCS it at some point this year, that way no matter what is thrown at you during the certificate you will be able to handle it?

Would be great to do do but not possible as hardest 4 is like a bbwc.

Would be great to do do but not possible as hardest 4 is like a bbwc.

WC? Like 260+ rating? I've never even heard of a 4 that hard. I've never even seen a #4 that was harder than a Pro.