Finger walks

- to 9.5kg x near miss

- 8.2kg x 1

- 7.1kg x 1

Plate curls superset axle reverse curls

- 10kg each hand / 20kg x 10/10

Bodyweight = 127.0kg / 20 stone / 280lb

Two hands pinch

- to 86kg (bad skin tears, will have get some new gloves)

Stub lift

- to 18.9kg each hand

- 20.2kg PB

- 18.0kg 3 x 6 second hold each hand PB

One hand meat hook deadlift

- 112.5kg x 20 each hand PB

Two finger plate pinch superset rear sledge levers

- three sets reps each hand with two 15kg / 14lb sledge

Finger walks

- 9.5kg each hand

Plate wrist curls pause at bottom superset reverse axle wrist curls

- 10kg x 10, 10 / 20

Listing a weights workout just to show what am upto with that

Bodyweight = 128.3kg / 20 stone 3lb / 283lb

Push ups on 3" thickbar (mostly paused)

- 3 x 12-15

Single arm side lateral

- x 25 / 25

Front raise palms facing

Romanian deadlift

- 120kg x 20

Yates row

- 120kg x 12

Chin ups

Bodyweight = 127.9kg

Two hand pinch in gloves

- to 76kg

- 61kg x 8, 5

- 61kg x 20 (no gloves)

Stub lift

- to 18.9kg

- 117.5kg x 9 PB / 8

Rear sledge levers

- 3 x reps each hand

Finger walks

- 10.2kg x 3/4 length each hand

Plate wrist curl paused superset axle reverse wrist curls

- x 12,12 / 12

Review of training so far

Ok so the training so far has been good on two events, which is meat hook and stub, but bad on the other two, two hand pinch and rear pick axe lift. I decided to wait on getting the specific setups sorted for pinch and pick axe just because i feel at this point all i need is general two hands pinch training and pain in my thumb joints is preventing me from doing much of anything but lever reps.

Definately pinch is going the worse out of everything, one because i (keep in mind i have basically not done pinch with bar through for 5+ years) one, i don't seem to get anything out of the bar being through, two don't seem to get any extra two hands over one hand total, three keep tearing my skin, and four, it's just not progressing. Plan right now is to keep in gloves for a bit an do lot of volume and holds. The sledge i will keep doing levers till i don't get pain as no chance i can go really heavy without getting bad injury at mo. Meat hook will keep upping the weight an doing reps for now. Stub will start doing more volume with gloves.

Also plan to increase my bodyweight to 300lb over next month or so. Might not help numbers massively but if it does at all it's worthwhile. Not bothered about strength to bodyweight ratios right now.

Took intensity up a bit on weights, did 20 rep romanian deadlift at 140kg an 100kg yates row x 25 both beltless, 15 reps one leg box squats and 18 rep push ups on the bar. Will push weights up next few weeks to try get to 300lb. Been busy in work this week so been finding it hard to eat enough.

Did weights again yesterday, back sore today.

Bodyweight = 130.4kg / 20 stone 7lb / 287lb

- to 137.5kg x 3 PB

Stub lift

- to 18kg x 4 PB

Grippers

- coc #3.5 x 2 wider than ccs (still pain though)

Finger walks

- 12.2kg x 3/4 length

Bodyweight = 130.7kg / 20 stone 8lb / 288lb

Two hands pinch (69mm)

- to 91kg x 1

- 76kg x 15 second hold

- 66kg x 10 second hold in gloves

One hand pinch alternate hand each lift

- 36kg x reps

71kg inch dumbbell alternate hand each lift

- x reps

Weights later

• 3 weeks later...

I unfortunately and possibly also fortunately with the injuries i had, had to stop training for the wsh comp as i couldnt get the day off work. I was last in line to book my holidays this year and there was a new rule that i was unaware of in the you couldnt have two staff members on holiday in the same day. Was obviously none too happy about this, especially when my pinch was starting to move but it is what it is.

Had some time off from grip training to heal injuries, yesterday first session back did ghp 8 for some ccs singles, 71kg inch hold for 23 seconds and two 15kg plate pinch hold for 37 seconds.

Still getting some pain from grippers (more after the close) but definately less. Plan is to start doing heavy overhand grip deadlifts and rows / shrugs etc with axle for a while then get back to the grind on the #4. I want to try qualify for uk strongest man next year so will be training a full year now to improve overall strength and increase bodyweight.

Got massage for hand so gave grippers another go yesterday. Still got some pain so will be giving them a break now but managed coc #3.5 for 3 no set singles.

• 1 month later...

Have just been doing purely gym training trying to add mass for uk strongest man qualifiers next year, got upto 140kg now (308lb / 22 stone). Today tried grippers for first time since i last posted and did #3 for 15 right / 10 left, all wide almost full motion. Also did overhand axle but only upto 180kg (easy but didnt want to go heavier today).

Thanks.

Did 100kg squat x 50 reps yesterday, felt really light. Finally getting to the point where i am starting to feel gym strong. Am sure if i get up to 150kg+ bodyweight later in the year the #4 will go down. I think the problem i've had, other than injuries, is that i just have not had any proper muscle to go with my tendon strength. In the past when i have gained weight i have got too fat and got podgy hands and it's not helped. More muscular hands and forearms should get it done.

• Like 3

Hmm. And the volume??

Not been doing any volume on anything lately, not in terms of single exercises anyway, just one heavy set then on to the next exercise. My last shoulder workout was simply warm ups then 40kg dumbbell presses for as many as i could, which was 22, and cable side laterals for as many as i could, which was 25. Last leg workout was just 1 warm up then 100kg squat for 50 reps. Same thing with grip at mo, 1 all out set each exercise. It depends on what i feel will see results at the time, some workouts i have done really high volume.

I'm thinking in terms of the way the damage might have occurred.

Yes, and too frequent but only in the way of pinching too wide. I have always found wide plate pinching to carry over well to ccs grippers and have always wanted to do six 5kg bodypower plates laine did. I could add 5kg to five of them and damn near run around the block, but six has never went more than half a foot up. I realise this is because my hands just arnt big enough but am too stubborn to quit and that led to the injury.

So a high volume approach in the session but less frequent sessions. I pinch once a week and did 3 x 1 with 112.7kg. The most I did was 2x a week. Grippers once a week too

So a high volume approach in the session but less frequent sessions. I pinch once a week and did 3 x 1 with 112.7kg. The most I did was 2x a week. Grippers once a week too

The volume for me just depends on the minimum i will see results with as that's what i will do. I dont train frequently due to working my job 6 days a week. If it didnt require as much grip strength i would train more often. Grippers i think is something you can easily do too often though.

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 4