Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Right now just building up a big base to work from

You think you can beat David Horne?

You think you can beat David Horne?

Its obviously very hard to do, he's the best ever by a mile but yes i do. Last year was an oppertunity missed as i do think i could have got him if i could have competed simply because there would have been an 11.5 point difference between us after the first event. Very rare for david that though, hes usually always top 5 every event, if not 1st. Shows its possible though an ive always been a very positive person, i dont ever set limits on myself. If you do that you will simply stop at the limit you set.
  • Like 1

Wish you good luck. Why you don't cert on the 3 and the 3.5 while you're at the comp?

Wish you good luck. Why you don't cert on the 3 and the 3.5 while you're at the comp?

Thanks. I wouldnt want do that at wsh as would effect my results in the contest but i may do the #3 and #3.5 at some point if the #4 is still not happening. This would be mostly to get my left handed goal of #3.5 done which at peak strength i can do now. Left is slowly getting closer to right hand as the extra resistence causes injury to right arm but left is ok.

Bodyweight now back up to 300lb according to scales at my parents. Not bothered about lb for lb or any of that now, just trying to get as strong as possible.

Did shoulders, chest and triceps today but didnt really take not of weights and reps. Did everything very slowly with light resistence trying to avoid the pain in getting in right shoulder. Will stick to that for a while.

Fat gripz on everything, no chalk

Dumbbell yates row
- 12kg's x 15
- 28kg's x 6
- 38kg's x 6
- 50kg's x 13
- 50kg's x 10

V-grip seated row
- 70lb x 10
- 100lb x 10
- 130lb x 10
- 175lb x 10

Dumbbell shrugs
- 22kg's x 10
- 40kg's x 22
- 40kg's x 15

Diverging lat pulldown
- 70lb x 10
- 100lb x 15
- 100lb x 10

Dual handle seated row
- 100lb x many
- 100lb x ? in slow motion

Back extension machine (not belted in/harder)
- 145lb x 10
- 220lb x 10
- 300lb x 9
- 250lb x 12

Alternate dumbbell hammer curls
- 12kg's x 10/10
- 22kg's x 10/10
- 38kg's x 10/10

Rope curls
- 20lb x 10
- 30lb x 10

I wasnt fully recovered grip wise and having a bunch of issues with right upper back but plan was to test a bit today so seen how many i could get fresh on the yates rows. I dont know exactly what went wrong but i got a particularly poor grip on them that set so i do think i could have got more but i said if i get 15 or more then will switch to the extreme gripz and got less so not yet. Probably next 2 workouts more volume then will try again.

Pressing again yesterday, right shoulder and especially right upper back in pain so again couldnt do anything heavy. Have decided to cert #3.5 both hands earlyish next year. This is mainly for off hand goal but basically whats been happening is due to the extra resistence my right side has seen bunch of issues and my left has slowly been catching up. Last time i trained grippers i got upto being able to do #3.5 with left actually wider than credit card but still couldnt get #4 right handed. Also probably going to see if i can do us grip worlds as well as davids worlds (not wsh next year) also.

That is great news, that you have decided to cert on the #3.5 both hands. I don't know if you believe in good vibes and whatnot, but know I am rooting for you from across the ocean :D Only a handful have certed on the #3.5 with the CC-rule, and I think noone did it both hands, so you'd be the first.

I know I have accused you in the past (in a nice way, though!) of changing goals too often, and I still fear maybe in a month of you you post that now you want to win Britain's fastests full 42km marathon and now need to lose 150 pounds of weight.... :D haha. But seeing that your new goal is to cert the #3.5 both hands I think it is very positive as it would certainly help pave the way to a future #4 cert, and it would also shut up some doubters.... not that I ever doubted your feats, I just think you're unique in some ways and don't care much for getting much attention, but I think all your feats are legit. So go for it !!! Want to see you on the IronMind news already!!

That is great news, that you have decided to cert on the #3.5 both hands. I don't know if you believe in good vibes and whatnot, but know I am rooting for you from across the ocean :D Only a handful have certed on the #3.5 with the CC-rule, and I think noone did it both hands, so you'd be the first.

I know I have accused you in the past (in a nice way, though!) of changing goals too often, and I still fear maybe in a month of you you post that now you want to win Britain's fastests full 42km marathon and now need to lose 150 pounds of weight.... :D haha. But seeing that your new goal is to cert the #3.5 both hands I think it is very positive as it would certainly help pave the way to a future #4 cert, and it would also shut up some doubters.... not that I ever doubted your feats, I just think you're unique in some ways and don't care much for getting much attention, but I think all your feats are legit. So go for it !!! Want to see you on the IronMind news already!!

I care for other peoples opinions, especially in regards to training methods and support (thank you) but if people want to say ive not done something i have or whatever im not generally going to care about it as obviously i know i have an somebody like that is too negative for me personally. If anything i would just take it as motivation if it bothered me at all. I dont care to certify to get attention or to prove anything to anybody, its purely for a personal goal.

Yes my goals change but also situations change often causing this. I think its good to have some different little goals / projects as keeps things ticking over but overall my main goals have basically been the same for many years. Specifically to cert the #4 being #1 an in last few years win world grip title been as important.

If the #3.5 went very easy right hand when certing i would have a go at #4 after maybe but right now with injuries to right shoulder/upper back my right hand is weakened and actually not as strong as my left on fat gripz.

In regards to bodyweight, i have mixed feelings on it as i could lose 100lb an be the same grip strength, so my lb for lb potentially is much better than just overall grip strength potential, however what i have found is if im bigger and stronger overall, i can do less specific grip training an still be strong as it builds a better base of overall strength. With that being the case when i do start training more specific i dont have to push my grip training to the extremes on whatever im trying to do so theres less risk of injury and more chance of a higher peak.

Bodyweight squats (slow negative)

Single leg box squats (slow negative)

- x 12 / 12

Bodyweight calf raises (slow negative)

Dips

- bw x 15

- bw x 15

- bw x 15

Bar push ups

- bw x 10

- bw x 10

Front raises superset side laterals

- x 10/10

Very busy day / week

Everything with fat gripz, no chalk

Dumbbell shrugs

- 20kg's x 20

- 50kg's x 15

Dumbbell yates row

- 20kg's x 20

- 34kg's x 15 (slow)

Seated row vgrip

- 70lb x lots

Diverging pulldown

- 100lb x 20

Back extension machine

- 145lb x 10

- 300lb x 10

Got 15 on the 50's but not going to use extremes just yet an actually might stick to regular fat gripz as will soon have upto 70kg dumbbells in home gym (all solid for inch dumbbell simulation)

Dips

Savage press

- x failure

Single side laterals

- x failure/failure

Everything with fat gripz, no chalk

Diverging lat pulldown

- 50lb x 10

- 85lb x 10

- 130lb x 10

- 175lb x 10

One arm dumbbell row

- 24kg x 10/10

- 50kg x 15/15 (had to regrip)

One arm cable row

- ? x 10/10

- ? x 10/10

- ? x 10/10

V-grip seated row

- 70lb x 10

- 115lb x 10

- 160lb x 10

- 205lb x 10

Diverging seated row

- 80lb x 12

- 80lb x 12

- 80lb x 12

- 80lb x 12

Dumbbell shrugs

- 38kg x 12

- 38kg x 12

- 38kg x 12

- 12kg's x ?/?

- 24kg's x ?/?

- 38kg's x 8/8 drop 24kg drop 12kg x reps

Two arm dumbbell curl

- 24kg's x ? Drop 12kg x ?

Reverse dumbbell curls

- 5kg's x many

Back extension machine

- 160lb x 10

- 300lb x 12

Dips with fat gripz

- bw x 20

- bw x 20

- bw x 20

Single side lateral / front raise superset

- x 8,8 / 8,8

- x 8,8 / 8,8

- x 8,8 / 8,8

Dips

Savage press

- x failure

Single side laterals

- x failure/failureEverything with fat gripz, no chalk

Diverging lat pulldown

- 50lb x 10

- 85lb x 10

- 130lb x 10

- 175lb x 10

One arm dumbbell row

- 24kg x 10/10

- 50kg x 15/15 (had to regrip)

One arm cable row

- ? x 10/10

- ? x 10/10

- ? x 10/10

V-grip seated row

- 70lb x 10

- 115lb x 10

- 160lb x 10

- 205lb x 10

Diverging seated row

- 80lb x 12

- 80lb x 12

- 80lb x 12

- 80lb x 12

Dumbbell shrugs

- 38kg x 12

- 38kg x 12

- 38kg x 12

- 12kg's x ?/?

- 24kg's x ?/?

- 38kg's x 8/8 drop 24kg drop 12kg x reps

Two arm dumbbell curl

- 24kg's x ? Drop 12kg x ?

Reverse dumbbell curls

- 5kg's x many

Back extension machine

- 160lb x 10

- 300lb x 12

I'd be dead.

Yeah ive been trying to do more volume

Got my dumbbells yesterday, they pretty much filled an entire 7.5 ton wagons floor space, is a lot of them. Some are pretty beat up but a lot of them are perfect for what i want, the heavier ones upto 70kg are solid with handles welded on so complete inch dumbbells when putting fat gripz on. Was a hell of a workout farmers walking them all an loading / unloading them, sore all over, had walk a bunch of them down a stairs too plus 200 mile there and 200 back but money well spent i feel.

Plan now is to get my big gazebo i bought setup outside next week, get heater an lights etc an train in there from now on.

• Like 2

Dips with fat gripz

- bw x 10

- bw x 55 PB

Bodyweight is 132kg at mo

Dips with fat gripz

- bw x 66

Got gazebo setup for gym now, just need get a light for it an sort through my dumbbells now then can train in it

Yeah ive been trying to do more volume

Got my dumbbells yesterday, they pretty much filled an entire 7.5 ton wagons floor space, is a lot of them. Some are pretty beat up but a lot of them are perfect for what i want, the heavier ones upto 70kg are solid with handles welded on so complete inch dumbbells when putting fat gripz on. Was a hell of a workout farmers walking them all an loading / unloading them, sore all over, had walk a bunch of them down a stairs too plus 200 mile there and 200 back but money well spent i feel.

Plan now is to get my big gazebo i bought setup outside next week, get heater an lights etc an train in there from now on.

Photo??

Ill be getting video after christmas of setup an bunch of training vids (getting new camera)

• Like 1

Dips with fat gripz

- bw x 50

- bw x 50

Single arm side laterals

- X 15/15

Single arm bent over laterals

- X 10/10

Unfortunately the strong winds and massive rain fall were gwtting in north west england have destroyed my gazebo. Ill be getting another and making sure it wont happen again as i do know what went wrong but for now i still cant train with the dumbbells.