Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Even more beat up for this than i was for the last one so knew i would be far from the best, just is what it is. I think fresh and oiling the gripper (needs it) a PB is there though, won't take long before i have done 20.

So a high volume approach in the session but less frequent sessions. I pinch once a week and did 3 x 1 with 112.7kg. The most I did was 2x a week. Grippers once a week too

The volume for me just depends on the minimum i will see results with as that's what i will do. I dont train frequently due to working my job 6 days a week. If it didnt require as much grip strength i would train more often. Grippers i think is something you can easily do too often though.

Ever considered a job change? Serious question. I'm about toi switch from walking round the damned car park to a far better paying sales related job opposite the gym.

So a high volume approach in the session but less frequent sessions. I pinch once a week and did 3 x 1 with 112.7kg. The most I did was 2x a week. Grippers once a week too

The volume for me just depends on the minimum i will see results with as that's what i will do. I dont train frequently due to working my job 6 days a week. If it didnt require as much grip strength i would train more often. Grippers i think is something you can easily do too often though.

Ever considered a job change? Serious question. I'm about toi switch from walking round the damned car park to a far better paying sales related job opposite the gym.
I won't stay at this job too much longer but it has definately helped me a lot overall. Hindered my gym strength as just don't have enough energy left to train them properly but as far as strongman events (other than press, deadlift etc) it's helped hugely and grip even more so. I do pretty heavy 3" thickbar one hand lifts to move the rolls all the time, winding the rolls on has great carry over to grippers, i do wrist rolling and a lot of other wrist work, bunch of different pinching. Basically i would never do as much grip work if i didnt have the job, i mean you would literally have to do 50+ hours at the gym. It's nice to be paid to essentially train too. Not something to do forever but it's been worthwhile (mentally also).
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

You mean grip training June 17th 2015 (video title says 2014). Again, as what I said in your topic, very very well done. Time to get cert this year.

You would think i would be able to get the year right (very beat up from training right now). The plan is to be able to no set this gripper (is my original #4 gripper) then i'll go for it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. Had a lot going on lately, broke it off with long term g/f and now have new g/f (which has been going very well). Had a lot to do with moving out from being with ex and unfortunately have had to put all my training equipment in storage, now just have grippers and fat gripz basically until that gets sorted (could be next year). Back in good training now though and strongest i have been over whole body. Did 100kg seated shoulder press x 10 the other day, yesterday below knee rack pulls 242kg x 15 and bodyweight going up, 300lb+ even in morning now and rising. G/f is cooking for me when i staying at hers which is good as really struggling on my own at bigger bodyweight plus bike riding back an forth to work now also. I get very hungry, bad hunger pains, i need meals all day long, is hard work. She also giving massage which is helping a lot as lot of bound up tissue, made big difference already. Did some #4 overcrushes and #3 reps no sets / wide yesterday, will stick to repping next few workouts.

• Like 1

Invented a savage close, which is a slight set then close with 5 clicks, so 4 extra clicks on top of normal close, then open up slow and thats a rep. Today 2 sets of six reps on #3 and then 5 reps of double clicks on #2.5 (so 10 clicks each rep). Left hand was strongest its ever been, did 4 reps #3 then 3 reps, an then tried hard #3.5 as felt like i could maybe do it but was 2mm off (and a bruised palm). Afterwards did #2.5 double clicks for 4 reps. Could definately have certed #3.5 left today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did grippers again last night, did pretty easy fat gripz DO pull of 180kg chalkless in deadlift warm ups, then deadlifts, then did grippers after but was still strongest ever. Left did hard #3.5 ccs width with 3 second pause an right did savage close with it plus 8 on #3. Videos ok but not the best, will wait for better to post.

Did grippers again last night, did pretty easy fat gripz DO pull of 180kg chalkless in deadlift warm ups, then deadlifts, then did grippers after but was still strongest ever. Left did hard #3.5 ccs width with 3 second pause an right did savage close with it plus 8 on #3. Videos ok but not the best, will wait for better to post.

Paul I am rooting for you and I've stated it in the past, because I remember you from the days of posting videos under the "viper" account and whatnot. Many have doubted you (even though you used to live with Mobster!?) and it is a strange thing. I know you have stated that you ONLY care about a #4 cert... but if you don't mind, I have a thought or two for you.

You seem to be at your best ever on grippers right NOW.

Only a handful of men have certed on the #3.5, and I don't think a single one did it both hands. You could, in theory, be the first ever to do that. The guys who have certed on the #3.5 with the CCS rule are incredibly strong dudes, it is a prestigious list to be on, at least for "grip guys".

From your reading your log, your goals vary more than women's mood :) ... don't take this offensive, but a couple of months back you stated your goal was to cert on the #4, a few posts later you wanted to try and become an armwrestler because of the money (wtf? I follow AW and to make any significant money you have to be TOP DOG which is really really hard), and a few posts later you changed once more to wanting to win Britains Strongest Man. Kind of crazy to jump from a goal to the next like that, but hey, who are we to judge, right? If tomorrow your goal is get leaner and climb mount Everest you'll have our best wishes too! :-)

That said.... point is, you're strong right now and I fear you either get injured, lose motivation, change goals, have something unexpected like changing jobs, or house, or partner, or whatever... something that takes you off track and it would be a shame if your current, monstruous strength, doesn't get officially documented. Why don't you go for that #3.5 cert and even try it both hands and get praise from everyone on this board, and establish yourself as one of the guys with the most awesome gripper-crushing power to ever grace earth? I'd love to see it.

I am sorry if any of these sounded bad in any way, I am trying to motivate you and hope the tone in some parts did not seem out-of-line! (sometimes a bit of that is needed to motivate!!). :) Best of luck and hopefully you keep progressing!

• Like 4

'Your moods vary' lol. When he lived with me (I let a room out to tenants and Paul was one for some months - 9 I think??) one 'crime' I accused him off (he seems better at it now) was adding every training technique known to mankind to his routine. If he read about it on a forum it got added. Hence training ended up on a couple of occasions training for 4 hours. My workouts, especially the grip ones, by comparison were a hour max. Even now they only take moire cos I rest loads and chat to members ha ha.

I pointed out that I did EXACTLY what needed to be done and no more. The bare minimum. What Paul did brings to the table, more than anything else, was his wanting to beat me. That drives you. I also did a little gripper machine work at that time and some so-called bounce force reps (deep setting a gripper and doing very small reps, plus negatives).

One major issue with Paul is, as it is for many would be competitive athletes, is his job. Back when I did a full on physical job I did 2-3 sessions a week and very little grip at that time (it came later). Of course he could... CHANGE THE DAMN JOB!!

All in all I'd agree. IF he stuck with training consistently for 12 months as a novice / intermediate strongman he MIGHT start placing in competitions. The last time I saw him compete at such an event he was strong enough to make some events but neither fast enough or capable enough of the reps to keep him in the running. One thing, for both myself and Paul, that Gloucester gave us was training around seriously competitive guys. Few normal gyms have this. And yes, BOTH hands are good on Paul for grippers. I usually had an edge right handed and on occasion he was my equal but his left was also right up there.

My advice: pick one sport. And go train with those a level above you.

• Like 3

Another "reason" to cert the #3.5 (both hands would be epic!) is this: When you're officially ready to attempt the #4 cert, since you would be certified on the #3.5 already, Randall would most likely be more amenable to sending out the #4 without making you "prove" you're ready for the attempt.

• Like 3

All valid points for sure. Yes could certify the #3.5 both hands now as one used is 3.7+ an yes is something i have thought about but at this point am so close to getting a ccs close on my medium #4 that nothing else is being considered. I am strongest i have ever been all around right now and have finally got to full on strongman size (am 22 stone at mo) an am growing. Did bench press of 100kg x 40 constant tension reps other day, below knee rack pulls 271kg x 12 etc an not peaked. Aim is to get to uk strongest man next year (not britains) an obviously cert the #4. Have got new woman now and engaged an everythings looking good so just gonna keep doing what am doing for now.

• Like 4

All valid points for sure. Yes could certify the #3.5 both hands now as one used is 3.7+ an yes is something i have thought about but at this point am so close to getting a ccs close on my medium #4 that nothing else is being considered. I am strongest i have ever been all around right now and have finally got to full on strongman size (am 22 stone at mo) an am growing. Did bench press of 100kg x 40 constant tension reps other day, below knee rack pulls 271kg x 12 etc an not peaked. Aim is to get to uk strongest man next year (not britains) an obviously cert the #4. Have got new woman now and engaged an everythings looking good so just gonna keep doing what am doing for now.

Well it isn't like you can't cert the 4 right after the 3.5 when you get to that point. Hell be the first guy to cert all 3 grippers. I'd just hate to see it all go to waste with an unforseen, debilitating injury.

I definitely think you could certify on the MM7 tomorrow if you wished; I certainly believe you are strong enough to cert on 98% of the #3.5's under official conditions.

But beyond that....you need to show some substantial proof either through a witness who can attest your strength, or a recognised certification process. And in regards to your goal of pinch lifting 3 x 20KG plates.....show us a convincing 2 hand pinch of 100KG first.

Not trying to knock you, but you seem to claim higher strength levels than your videos show.

Well it isn't like you can't cert the 4 right after the 3.5 when you get to that point. Hell be the first guy to cert all 3 grippers. I'd just hate to see it all go to waste with an unforseen, debilitating injury.
Anything can happen when your putting that kind of resistence on anything, is always a risk for injury, just the way it is. Honestly, if i did #3.5 cert both hands for reps would still not be happy. Plan is to cert all 3 grippers same day yes and who knows, could get all 3 each hand. Depends on the gripper with it being random.
  • Like 1

Paul, there is a big chance your cert 4 will be 218+ and yes thats average now.

I definitely think you could certify on the MM7 tomorrow if you wished; I certainly believe you are strong enough to cert on 98% of the #3.5's under official conditions.

But beyond that....you need to show some substantial proof either through a witness who can attest your strength, or a recognised certification process. And in regards to your goal of pinch lifting 3 x 20KG plates.....show us a convincing 2 hand pinch of 100KG first.

Not trying to knock you, but you seem to claim higher strength levels than your videos show.

Timmy, I am happy to read this from you as it seems you've changed

Have done replica of that with either hand, was fairly hard with left at the time but wouldnt be now. To have a goal doesnt mean you are anywhere near it now, theres people that can only do a #2 and have long term goal of #4. The best i have currently done is one finger and thumb assisted lift on three 20kg. Solid two hands pinch doesnt really compare to free one hand plate pinching and for me personally i dont get anything out of a solid setup vs free plates. I have never claimed to have done something i have not done.

Assuming this is going off cannons ratings? the old average was 209lb so to go up 9lb would be pretty rediculous.
  • Like 1

Hey Paul, I'm rooting for you, but not wanting to cert the 3.5 ahead of time seems a little hardheaded. I'll leave you with one line, in regards to your current plan:

What can go wrong, will go wrong.

Hey Paul, I'm rooting for you, but not wanting to cert the 3.5 ahead of time seems a little hardheaded. I'll leave you with one line, in regards to your current plan:

What can go wrong, will go wrong.

Thanks

Well of course, originally it was mms on any #4, now its ccs on new gripper thats apparently a good bit harder on average so thats certainly gone wrong. Have had load of injury and tendon pain as well so lots gone wrong already but also have gone from only being able get the trainer both hands to doing a hard #3.5 ccs both hands. From this id say more has gone right. What you and some others dont seem to understand is really dont care about certing the #3.5, if i get injured perminantly going for the #4 so be it, i wont have any regrets.

Edited by Paul Savage

Assuming this is going off cannons ratings? the old average was 209lb so to go up 9lb would be pretty rediculous.
Yes it's Cannon. I recently ordered 3 #4's and if I remember correctly one was 218, other was 225, last was 228. Others got same. 220+/- is what you might get. A average #3.5 might be 185 which is really hard too.

Yes it's Cannon. I recently ordered 3 #4's and if I remember correctly one was 218, other was 225, last was 228. Others got same. 220+/- is what you might get. A average #3.5 might be 185 which is really hard too.
He told me the average from his was 215 so still 6lb over old average but could just be varience. Id be wanting to no set my medium #4 for multiple singles before looking to cert.

Id be wanting to no set my medium #4 for multiple singles before looking to cert.
We all would! haha
  • Like 1