Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

Paul, don't you find it a risky endevour now that you want to focus on CCS #4 a the same time? Apparently not but with your history you just summoned up and the impact of heavy gripper training you seem to be asking for problems to happen. Just a personal opinion though, since you are a contender with a realistic chance on certing with focused training. It's not that you have a deskjob. Your work also costs recovery which you will need very hard if you want to succeed.

Possible positives out weigh possible negatives with both arm wrestling and my job. Both have possible negatives but many positives can come with. I am sure the #4 cert will come in time no matter what sport i do or what work i do, i will find a way.

Well, be safe and good luck!

Thanks
Everybody needs to do things their own way. I didn't mean to be negative or anything btw. I hope it works out well, like I said, you have a realistic chance on certing. Cheers!
No is very valid point, is definately some negatives as far as recovery goes and maybe with arm wrestling it might be too much. I am in a position that i do not have to work my day job if i dont want to but until now i think it has helped overall. Maybe with arm wrestling on top it wont help and in 6 months maybe i stop day job i don't know. I think arm wrestling on it's own will help with #4 cert though is you need to have no weaknesses in your whole arm/wrist/hand to be sucessful so this will enforce a good balance which allows you to push any aspect with minimal risk for injury. Other than just doing too much i think being well rounded is the way to stay injury free.
  • Like 1

Todays grip workout..

Zenith #3 no chalk no set full rom

Right hand

- x 35 PB, 32, 27

Left hand

- x 22, 25 PB, 19

Rear lever hold

- x 1 minute each hand

Extensors

- x 100 each hand PB

Thumb injury seems to have cleared up so should be able to pinch again next week. Will probably work to 50 reps on #3 then start again on #4 trying to get to 10 reps then try regular grippers again or maybe HG500.

• 2 weeks later...

Today did right hand 100 no set reps zenith #3 over 4 sets, left hand 84 no set reps over 4 sets. Injured right hand in work recently to the point where the next day i couldnt lift a cup. Is not 100% yet but is getting there.

Edited by Paul Savage

Training starting for worlds strongest hands

Couple days ago i did bunch of stub and two hand pinch, and rear sledge lifts with my 14lb. My right hand not better yet, cant do everything 100%, some things not at all.

Today..

Stub lift

- to 16.8kg PB

- 14.0kg x 14 seconds

- 15.3kg x 5 seconds

One hand pinch

- to two 15kg + 7.7kg added loose

- Two 15kg x 24 seconds

- Two 15kg x 13 seconds

One hand meat hook deadlift sumulation (using crow bar)

- 5 seconds to 125kg

Ghp grippers with ghp block

- to lvl 8 x 1

- lvl 7 3 sets of 2 reps

71kg inch dumbbell

- 3 x lift and hold

Finger walk with 14lb sledge (7.1kg total weight)

For some reason it seems the stub is harder for me than the half penny, everybody else it's the other way around. I got ghp grippers so i thought id give them a go. Feels really weird, almost the same resistence all the way through, totally different than coc. Definately could do a few reps on #8 fresh and have not done any heavy grippers for months. I can't see lvl 9 being massively far away so maybe i should go for that. Maybe heavy grippers every other week on the ghp.

Yes, another one describing how ghp's feel lol they have a nasty sweep, haven't they. If I can CCS my ghp7 @155 lbs I will laugh at any #3.

Yes, another one describing how ghp's feel lol they have a nasty sweep, haven't they. If I can CCS my ghp7 @155 lbs I will laugh at any #3.

Yes the lvl 7 felt harder than any #3 i have tried an i now think the first lvl 9 i got is maybe not a hard one like i thought as it seems a 1/4" from ccs isn't too bad with how hard the sweep is / not surprised i couldnt set it deep. I would guess that i would get it pretty close with ghp block. They might take some getting used to though. Edited by Paul Savage

Couple days ago i did bunch of stub and two hand pinch, and rear sledge lifts with my 14lb. My right hand not better yet, cant do everything 100%, some things not at all.

Today..

Stub lift

- to 16.8kg PB

- 14.0kg x 14 seconds

- 15.3kg x 5 seconds

One hand pinch

- Two 15kg x 24 seconds

- Two 15kg x 13 seconds

- 5 seconds to 125kg

- to lvl 8 x 1

- lvl 7 3 sets of 2 reps

71kg inch dumbbell

- 3 x lift and hold

For some reason it seems the stub is harder for me than the half penny, everybody else it's the other way around. I got ghp grippers so i thought id give them a go. Feels really weird, almost the same resistence all the way through, totally different than coc. Definately could do a few reps on #8 fresh and have not done any heavy grippers for months. I can't see lvl 9 being massively far away so maybe i should go for that. Maybe heavy grippers every other week on the ghp.

The Cannon Power Works rating suggests other wise. I can rep the 8. I'm loving my new John Brookfield grippers. Brutal negatives!!

• Like 1

Today..

Stub lift

- to 16.8kg PB

- 14.0kg x 14 seconds

- 15.3kg x 5 seconds

One hand pinch

- Two 15kg x 24 seconds

- Two 15kg x 13 seconds

- 5 seconds to 125kg

- to lvl 8 x 1

- lvl 7 3 sets of 2 reps

71kg inch dumbbell

- 3 x lift and hold

The Cannon Power Works rating suggests other wise. I can rep the 8. I'm loving my new John Brookfield grippers. Brutal negatives!!

Oh no i know the 8 and 9 are far apart, i'm meaning from how the sweep feels almost the same as the close so getting the 9 to 1/4 inch with credit card isnt probably that far from doing it with block as the tough sweep would have killed me for the close. I would have thought you would be at least very close on the 9 as your sweep power is very good. From video of vogt it seems 5-7 reps on lvl 8 would put you at somewhere around lvl 9 if your top end strength wasnt bad.

Yes seen you been using them, interested to see the results from doing the negs.

Was toast from last training still but got my bar and wanted to do some two hands pinch as not done any in forever / expected it needs a lot of work.

Two hands pinch 69mm

- to 80kg in plates

- 60kg in plates x 25 seconds

My forearms were hurting an i couldnt use the snap technique so this wasnt my best effort but it what it is. As with the axle, i tend to get a good bit out of snapping on the pinch. Think the setup is around 6-7kg but not weighed. Am waiting on my euro disks.

I wont be doing any arm wrestling training again any time soon, so is just focus on grip till wsh. Reason being we have decided we will be moving to another country at some point in the next few years and i can't see there being much of anybody to arm wrestle where were going, certainly not much prize money.

Edited by Paul Savage

Aim for worlds strongest hands is top 3 as i got 4th last time. Tough events for me as euro pinch is hate event for me, it always tears my skin even with light weights and stub is probably the worst horne top lift for me. Other two events better for me but everybody is too well rounded to have two bad events in a 4 event comp. Will need to put in a lot of work to even break the top 10 i would think but hopefully can bring up weaknesses.

Today..

Stub lift

- to 16.8kg PB

- 14.0kg x 14 seconds

- 15.3kg x 5 seconds

One hand pinch

- Two 15kg x 24 seconds

- Two 15kg x 13 seconds

- 5 seconds to 125kg

- to lvl 8 x 1

- lvl 7 3 sets of 2 reps

71kg inch dumbbell

- 3 x lift and hold

Oh no i know the 8 and 9 are far apart, i'm meaning from how the sweep feels almost the same as the close so getting the 9 to 1/4 inch with credit card isnt probably that far from doing it with block as the tough sweep would have killed me for the close. I would have thought you would be at least very close on the 9 as your sweep power is very good. From video of vogt it seems 5-7 reps on lvl 8 would put you at somewhere around lvl 9 if your top end strength wasnt bad.

Yes seen you been using them, interested to see the results from doing the negs.

If yesterdays Vulcan then JB Negs was anything to go by then it's positive.

Today..

Stub lift

- to 16.8kg PB

- 14.0kg x 14 seconds

- 15.3kg x 5 seconds

One hand pinch

- Two 15kg x 24 seconds

- Two 15kg x 13 seconds

- 5 seconds to 125kg

- to lvl 8 x 1

- lvl 7 3 sets of 2 reps

71kg inch dumbbell

- 3 x lift and hold

That's good enough for me, bought the heavier two. Need stop buying grip stuff now! Must have spent well over a grand in the last month or two.

Got another hand injury, left hand this time. Was warming up with meat hook deadlift at 105kg each hand (just hooked it to handle on loading pin), lifts were easy, loaded another 25kg on then i noticed my index finger was feeling strange and was getting bigger very rapidly, felt like it was filling up with air. Left it for 5-10 minutes then could see it was starting to bruise. Now it is black and blue. Never had injury like this before. The strange thing is there is almost no pain, gripping things no pain, i cant understand what i have done.

The reason i think is because the meat hook is extremely thin, so the pressure is very concentrated. Hopefully it heals soon and i can try again but i am concerned it will happen again with injury on the very first go and with relatively light weight. I tried 130kg right hand but it only came up a few inches, i think i was worried for injury this attempt. Certainly can't lift what i can on v-bar though, i with thinking lifts would be 300-350kg range but is very different with tiny grip.

You seem like you are concentrating on alot of things at the moment, arm wrestling, meat hook, pinch, grippers etc..high risk of injury mate train safe!

You seem like you are concentrating on alot of things at the moment, arm wrestling, meat hook, pinch, grippers etc..high risk of injury mate train safe!

Not arm wrestling anymore as moving. Only wsh events and grippers. Thanks, i try train as safe as possible but sonetimes injuries come regardless. I think it being so cold right now is big part of that. Hopefully this will be the last in a while.
  • Like 1

Today..

Stub lift

- to 16.8kg PB

- 14.0kg x 14 seconds

- 15.3kg x 5 seconds

One hand pinch

- Two 15kg x 24 seconds

- Two 15kg x 13 seconds

- 5 seconds to 125kg

- to lvl 8 x 1

- lvl 7 3 sets of 2 reps

71kg inch dumbbell

- 3 x lift and hold

That's good enough for me, bought the heavier two. Need stop buying grip stuff now! Must have spent well over a grand in the last month or two.

I've the F and the G so snap ha ha

The g should be bloody heavy

Two hands pinch (69mm)

- to +75kg x 5 singles

One hand plate pinch

- Two 15kg x lift and hold each hand

Stub lift

- to 15.7kg x 5 singles each hand

- 13.2kg x lift and hold each hand

Probably do meat hook without index fingers, grippers and rear pick axe tomorrow (day off work)

Unfortunately going to have to leave the grippers for a while as keeps agrivating right hand injury (will review jb grippers when i'm back at them steve). Also didnt end up going to my parents last night so didnt get my hands on his electric drill for making the pick axe, used sledge hammer instead. The meat hook however, felt fine doing as normal despite the black and blue finger (bruising is on the side so does not contact the meat hook).

One hand meat hook deadlifts

- to 120kg each hand

Rear sledge lifts

- to full length of 14lb left plus hold at half way

- 2 x only hold right (bit of pain on this)

Shot roations (first time doing this)

- 6lb shots x 3 sets each hand

Finger walks

- 15.4lb x 3 sets right, 2 left (could barely finish second)

Those shot rotations are bloody dangerous haha got the hang of it pretty well after a couple sets though

Started weight training again today, not been doing any. Not going to be putting too much effort into it just something to suppement the grip training an keep me ticking over. Heaviest thing i did today was 100kg row x 10 pausing at the top each rep.

Edit - bodyweight is 121.4kg / 19 stone 2lb

Edited by Paul Savage

Bodyweight = 125.8kg / 19 stone 11lb (came back on very quick)

One hand meat hook deadlift

- to 125kg each hand PB

Stub lift

- to 18.0kg x 1 PB

- 15.0kg x 10 second hold

Stiff leg axle deadlift overhand

- to 180kg

Will do more training in a bit

Chin ups on 3" bar

- bw x 8

Push ups paused on 3" bar

- bw x 12

Single leg box squats

- bw x 10/10

Front raise

Single arm side lateral

- x 10/10

- to 130kg x 1 each hand PB

- 115kg x 6 PB

Two hands pinch

- to 86kg x 1

- 76kg x reps

- 66kg x reps

Stub lift

- to 18kg x 1

- 15kg x 6 PB

Rear sledge lift

- to 14lb hammer full length

- 3 x holds at half way each hand

Shot roations

- 6lb x failure each hand

Finger walks

- 14lb sledge x 2 each hand

Did some more weights the other day, again nothing heavy.

Two hands pinch

- to 86kg

Stub lift

- to 18kg

- 15kg x reps

One hand plate pinch

- two 15kg x lift and hold x 2 each hand

- two 15kg x 12 around the worlds

- 102.5kg x 10 each hand PB

Rear sledge lift

- 14lb to 3/4 length x 2 holds each hand