Gripping And Other Adventures

Six Barrel Shotgun

Pretty obvious that a skier would outperform an old boxer.

Meanwhile I'm still pluggin away with the plate pinching. I've gotten to the point now where I can lift the four 5kg plates with the index and middlefinger only with each hand.

Yep obviously.

Thanks for keeping me updated. That's good! I think you should get another 5kg plate.. :upsidedwn

TTK

Holds:

RH: 8 kg for 1 minute (PR). Increase weight next time. (8 kg = 17,6 pounds).

LH: 7 kg for 30 sec. Same weight next time. (7 kg = 15,4 pounds).

RH: 6 kg for 31 sec.

LH: 5 kg for 51 sec.

RH: 5 kg for 1 minute.

LH: 4 kg for 1 minute.

RH: 5 kg for 38 sec.

LH: 4 kg for 40 sec.

RH: 4 kg for 1 minute.

LH: 3,5 kg for 51 sec.

--

Before the workout I thought about how I could intensify my TTK workouts. I decided to do one movement each time, and do drop sets. This time it was holds, the two other workouts is negatives and crushes. I will aim to do this three movements on three workouts, in 1 week time. This week it will only be 2 probably though, since I started late.

Been a long time since i've done TTK, and especially holds. Hope to change that now!

Bending

DO:

17 cm 6 mm stainless steel. Time: A little less then 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

About 4 minutes rest.

17 cm 6 mm stainless steel. Time: About 3 minutes and 40 seconds.

About 3 minutes rest.

2 15 cm long 5.1 millimeter spikes. Time: First under 30 sec. Second in about 8-9 seconds.

On the second bend the first long bit took 40 seconds. It was the finishing part that took the longer time.

EDIT: I count a bend as OK when the insides of the steel/spike is under 2 inches.

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Bending

DO:

17 cm 6 mm stainless steel. Time: A little less then 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

About 4 minutes rest.

17 cm 6 mm stainless steel. Time: About 3 minutes and 40 seconds.

About 3 minutes rest.

2 15 cm long 5.1 millimeter spikes. Time: First under 30 sec. Second in about 8-9 seconds.

On the second bend the first long bit took 40 seconds. It was the finishing part that took the longer time.

EDIT: I count a bend as OK when the insides of the steel/spike is under 2 inches.

Forgot to mention that bending of two 17 cm, 6 mm stainless steel, under the same workout, is PR.

Roll Ups

Total weight: 2,35 kg:

LH: 1 succesfull roll up.

RH: 1 succesfull roll up.

Total weight: 2,7 kg:

RH: 0 succesfull roll ups.

LH: 1 succesfull roll up (PR).

Then the towel broke..

EDIT: Got a new towel and did Total Weight: 2,6 kg with LH.

2,6 kg also with RH (PR).

Roll Ups

Total weight: 2,7 kg:

RH: 0 succesfull roll ups.

LH: 1 succesfull roll up (PR).

EDIT: Got a new towel and did Total Weight: 2,6 kg with LH.

2,6 kg also with RH (PR).

When I think back of the 2,6 kg Roll Up, I think it was too sloppy. So I take it back and don't count that one as PR.

So new PR is 2,7 kg (5,95 pounds) with left hand. Still 2,35 kg (5,18 pounds) as PR for right hand.

New PR with RH in Roll Ups:

Total Weight: 2,5 kg (5,51 pounds).

Roll Ups

Total Weight: 2,5 kg

RH: 1 roll up.

LH: 1 unstrict roll up.

RH: Just bucket as weight x 2

LH: Just bucket as weight x 2

Roll Ups

Total weight: 2,5 kg, with both hands.

Grippers

LH: Two succesfull 5 sec crushes with CoC #2.

RH: One succesfull close on CoC #3, no succesfull 5 sec crush.

Roll Ups

Total weight: 2,5 kg, with both hands.

Grippers

LH: Two succesfull 5 sec crushes with CoC #2.

RH: One succesfull close on CoC #3, no succesfull 5 sec crush.

Cycle 2:

Roll Ups

RH: Total Weight: 2,6 kg x 1 (PR) (2,6 kg = 5,7 pounds)

LH: Total Weight: 2,6 kg x 0 (fail)

Grippers

RH: CoC #2.5 - 3 succesfull 5 sec crushes. Last set a bit sloppy.

LH: CoC #1.5 - 2 succesfull 5 sec crushes. Two set minireps, not sure of how many reps done on the first set, but 8 minireps on the second set.

About 1 minute of rest between the gripper sets.

Stopped because of slight pain in my left bicep. It comes from time to time, when I work with grippers.

What no posting for 2 days? You're getting soft! :laugh

I got a pretty cool idea from David Horne about the pinching. I put a leather wrap over the plates and pinch lift them. You can do it with a thin towel or a pair of gloves. Makes it a bit harder and saves your skin so you can work harder. It's a really cool idea

I got a pretty cool idea from David Horne about the pinching. I put a leather wrap over the plates and pinch lift them. You can do it with a thin towel or a pair of gloves. Makes it a bit harder and saves your skin so you can work harder. It's a really cool idea

Hehe. I did a crappy bending workout yesterday. Not so fun to report when it's not good news.. ;)

Tried to bend IM blue nail, failed miserably. Then I failed on IM yellow nail, just managed a kink. What I did bend was a 18 centimeter long 6 mm Stainless Steel (rostfri rundstång), after many attempts. Perhaps it's too much with 2 bending days in the week, or I just had a off day. What do you think David?

Cool idea! Perhaps that's a good way to advance to five 5 kg plates.

David Horne seems to have a lot of cool ideas. I have taken the exercise Stone Dummie from a person on another training board (swedish). He learned the exercise from David Horne.

Hehe. I did a crappy bending workout yesterday. Not so fun to report when it's not good news.. ;)

Tried to bend IM blue nail, failed miserably. Then I failed on IM yellow nail, just managed a kink. What I did bend was a 18 centimeter long 6 mm Stainless Steel (rostfri rundstång), after many attempts. Perhaps it's too much with 2 bending days in the week, or I just had a off day. What do you think David?

Had a SWEET revenge today. I know it's most probably not wise to do bending 2 days in a row. But oh how I wanted revenge on the steel.

Cut a piece of 6 mm Stainless Steel, to about 17 cm (16.9 cm to be exact), and bended it in the time 2 minutes and 55 seconds. That's actually new PR time.

YES!

Congrats on the PR!

I bend fairly often, about 3-4 times a week. And considering that you're doing other gripwork at the time, I would advice keeping it down to 1-2 times a week. It takes times for the hands to adapt to the stress of bending. I remember in the beginning that my hands where completely wrecked from bending 2-3 times a week.

Bending

DO:

IM yellow nail bended on 23 seconds. It was a slight kink on it since earlier, so I don't count it as PR.

IM blue nail bended under 2 inches (5 centimeter) from the insides. Time: 6 minutes, 32 seconds. So it was over 5 minutes, but I still count it as PR as toughest nail i've bended.

Ended then, don't wanna stress my left bicep that's been hurting after some workouts earlier in the week.

Congrats to your new PR! The thing I like about bending is that there are so many ways you can improve. If you improve your strength in any part of the grip, wrists, forearms, triceps, chest, shoulders, traps and lats, if you improve your strength in any of these body parts, your bending will improve. And then we haven't even touched the subject of technique, bending is such a technique based exercise so any improvements in technique will directly land you a new PR. And then there is conditioning, your hands become tougher and becomes a stronger base to push from.

And then with the variety of things you can do with bending. You can still make huge progress in almost every workout even after 4 years of bending, like I have. Sure you might stagnate in a specific style, I've done that many times, but there is always a new style to train and get stronger at.

It's really IMO the most exciting and rewarding strength activity you can indulge yourself in.

Congrats to your new PR! The thing I like about bending is that there are so many ways you can improve. If you improve your strength in any part of the grip, wrists, forearms, triceps, chest, shoulders, traps and lats, if you improve your strength in any of these body parts, your bending will improve. And then we haven't even touched the subject of technique, bending is such a technique based exercise so any improvements in technique will directly land you a new PR. And then there is conditioning, your hands become tougher and becomes a stronger base to push from.

And then with the variety of things you can do with bending. You can still make huge progress in almost every workout even after 4 years of bending, like I have. Sure you might stagnate in a specific style, I've done that many times, but there is always a new style to train and get stronger at.

It's really IMO the most exciting and rewarding strength activity you can indulge yourself in.

Thanks for your words. Very inspiring speech!

--

Just bended IM blue nail under 5 minutes!! Bendew below 5 centimeters from the insides. Time: 4 minutes, 58 seconds (PR). Did it by a hair! But i'm very happy to now have bended a IM blue nail to under 5 centimters from the insides, under 5 minutes! :D

Roll Ups

Total weight: 2,63 kg (5,79 pounds):

RH:

1 (PR)

LH:

Total weight: 2,33 kg:

RH:

LH:

Total weight: 2 kg:

RH:

0 (fail)

LH:

Total weight: 1,6 kg:

RH:

LH:

0 (fail)

Total weight: 1,1 kg:

RH:

LH:

Total weight: 0,35 kg (just bucket, carabiner and towel):

RH:

LH:

3 reps

--

Drop sets.. happy to hit new PR. :P

EDIT: Lenght of workout - about 16-17 minutes.

Bending

DO:

IM blue nail bended under 2 inches from the insides. Time: 4 minutes, 19 seconds (PR).

Then I tried to bend a IM yellow nail. But it hurted too much from wounds in my hands, so I stopped.

Roll ups

Total weight: 2,71 kg (5,97 pounds):

RH:

1 (PR)

LH:

2 attempts, one succesful:

1 (PR)

Total weight: 0,35 kg (just bucket, carabiner and towel):

RH:

5 reps

LH:

2 reps

--

Long row of PR:s in each workout now. :)

Bending

DO:

IM blue nail bended below 2 inches from the insides. Time: 55 seconds (PR).

About 2 minutes of rest.

Failed on IM yellow nail with a slight kink on since earlier. Just made the kink a bit bigger. Was out of power after the blue nail.

Great with another PR. Closing in on my goal!!

Bending

DO:

Failed on IM yellow nail with a slight kink on since earlier. Just made the kink a bit bigger. Was out of power after the blue nail.

With some longer rest I managed to finish the bend. Bended it down to below 1,57 inches (4 centimeters).

TTK

Negatives

LH: 13,5 kg x 1 (PR) (29,7 pounds)

RH: 15 kg x 0 (tired my right thumb out, after the LH negative)

Bar Twirling

Was a while since I done this.

Vbar + 3 kg = 4 kg (8,8 pounds):

RH: 6 reps, 5 reps.

LH: 5 reps, 5 reps.

Same as last time with LH. 1 rep less in the first set, on RH. My goal here is to first be able to twirl my 6 kg (13,2 pounds) barbell, then heavier and heavier barbells.

155 cm long bar

RH: 1 minute, 20 seconds, then I dropped it (worse time then last time).

LH: 1 minute, then I dropped it (worse time then last time).

Just Vbar

RH: 2 minutes, 20 seconds (PR).

LH: 1 minute, 20 seconds (PR).

I could obviously most probably improve these times if I did them first in the routine.