Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

I've got a grip noob question for you!!!

I've recently been doing pullups with the Manus grip. They rotate pretty good on the thin pullup bar, so I can only do about 3-6 reps before my grip gives up. I'm doing these pullups because it's easier and more time effective than to do deads with them. Now on to the noob question. Do you think that the fat grip pullups are good enough to develop a stronger grip, or would it be better if I just took the extra time to do deadlifts with them? What would you do?

Haha, good question David. My thoughts are this: Use of thickbar is number one. If you can get more effective training in doing the pullups then I'd roll with that. As you've probably experienced, if a lift is too much a pain too do or takes to long, we end up doing it less and less until it's forgotten. More along the lines of your question, I'd ask what is your weak link on thickbar, fingers (open hand) or thumb (support)? Many claim their thumbs are too weak so I would suggest doing deadlifts. For me and some others you may feel the fingers are weak in that open position so pullups would be the way to go. I feel pullups put more stress on the fingers. What I have been doing is making absolutely everything thickbar. Axle squats, bench, deads, all dumbells, wrist levers, everything. Some thickbars are 2.5" and some 1.5", most 2". On rare occasion I'll just use a normal bar for deadlifts but will do DO grip. I'm seeing steady, slow gains. Finally my RT is coming up and I'll test the axle maybe next month for a max. The idea is I'm taking a page from strongman. Those guys don't try and max out on thickbar like we do yet when asked to max out they always kick most gripsters butts. They train with thickbar stuff everyday for years and slowly they build up that grip. If I can do the same, use thickbar on everything yet not try and max out on it much, then I can keep doing it everyday for years for gains.

My pullup bar is 1.5" btw.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

Thanks for the answer Daniel. Now that you mention it I have noticed myself that my thumbs usually give out during the thick bar deadlift, and the fingers give out during the pullups, never really given it any thought before.

I think I'll keep on doing the thick bar pull ups and add a few sets thick bar deadlifts while I'm warming up for my regular deadlifts, and go DO with my regular deadlifts. And add the thick bars on any rowing or pulling exercise I do to build up strength over time.

I tried what mobsterone suggested, 2 all out sets on 85-90% of 1rm and im done.

Getting stronger every workout since i started.

Cool setup with the band, ill try it man

Is that for deadlifts? That's a good idea. What is your 1rm up to now?

I'm liking the bands for deads. It allows to overload. For most of us, myself included, getting the bar to the knees is the hard part (conv and sumo). Sometimes I mix in some rack pulls post deadlift workout just so I can hit heavy lockouts to keep that growing as well. With bands I can dial in the weight off the floor and the weight at lockout to work both aspects of the lift. And of course an overload sure helps weight feel lighter and naturally easier. I'm still playing with which bands to use depending on the goal for the day. My hams and lower back are still sore from last weeks deads with bands so I went lighter weight and stronger bands this week. Good stuff.

Thanks for the answer Daniel. Now that you mention it I have noticed myself that my thumbs usually give out during the thick bar deadlift, and the fingers give out during the pullups, never really given it any thought before.

I think I'll keep on doing the thick bar pull ups and add a few sets thick bar deadlifts while I'm warming up for my regular deadlifts, and go DO with my regular deadlifts. And add the thick bars on any rowing or pulling exercise I do to build up strength over time.

Right on bro. Yeah, I am starting to lean towards the more the merrier, and alot less of jsut trying to push the max up. Thickbar seems to like daily use IMO.

• Like 1

Woke up at 4:30am for a 12 hour shift, and found out I had gotten sick. Came from out of nowhere. Well since this is a light weekand a bench RT day, I decided to just do a quick cardio workout. I want to start doing 30 min on my fridays. Being is I added 50# in less that 2 years I will probably need it alot.

100 jumping jacks and 25 pushups, 4 sets in 14 minutes. Was a medium pace. Didn't want to shock the heart and make it explode. Lol. Pushups felt good. Good change from bench.

• Like 2

Day 2 of sickness. Alot better. Day3 of 12 hour shifts. Lots of stairs today. Supposed to be squat day but imessed the rib up last Wednesday on squats so I did lighter, cardio based work today again. Man, I suck at cardio.

3 rounds or sets in 19 minutes. Medium pace but I still got whooped.

Squats, 135# 20 reps, pushups 30 reps, pullups 10 reps.

Weighted 212 last night. Once I get to 220 I'm going to do a cut. This has been the plan for a while but I haven't been as active on the diet as I'd like. Lately I've gone full throttle to gain and am ready mentally for the cut.

Weighted 212 last night. Once I get to 220 I'm going to do a cut. This has been the plan for a while but I haven't been as active on the diet as I'd like. Lately I've gone full throttle to gain and am ready mentally for the cut.

I'm 229 lbs at a height of 1.96 meter. According to BMI I am much to heavy, but if you look at the mirror it's a weight that I can easily have. Otherwise I'd look pretty skinny. I think it's more important how you feel. If you control your intake and the lovehandles aren't that clearly visible, I'm ok. a little bit of cutting in the summer and presto, the body looks better than most 35 year old fathers I see at the beach around here :)

• Like 3

I'm 229 lbs at a height of 1.96 meter. According to BMI I am much to heavy, but if you look at the mirror it's a weight that I can easily have. Otherwise I'd look pretty skinny. I think it's more important how you feel. If you control your intake and the lovehandles aren't that clearly visible, I'm ok. a little bit of cutting in the summer and presto, the body looks better than most 35 year old fathers I see at the beach around here :)

Charts are moronic. According to some charts, I'm either overweight or obese depending on the time of day...others...I'm always obese. This is what is considered the cusp of obese (far left).

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=10677

A couple of years ago I deliberately dropped into "normal range" by a single pound...I looked emaciated (people were politely asking if I was ill/dying).

• Like 1

Oh yeah, charts are garbage. This is all based on how I feel, look, and perform. It's been almost 2 years of bulking so there is some extra fat that I don't want. I was 165# and now almost 220. Maybe I'm just being picky. LOL.

Ha I'm in the same boat dude, but when I started lifting a couple years ago, I was 145, and I'm 6,5" tall! Now im about 218 I think... And I don't mind a little extra weight. Maybe I've got a little extra fat, but I don't mind, I'm not a bodybuilder. I'm not overweight, for sure. For my size, this is about right. Even my dad, who is about 280/285 is only marginally overweight, in my opinion.

interesting point that different thick bar exercises hit the hand in different ways. for myself I find it can be hard to get a balance using thickbar for some exercise. ie, i can't get enough pull ups for my back if I use thick handles. it's a give and take.

I've got a grip noob question for you!!!

I've recently been doing pullups with the Manus grip. They rotate pretty good on the thin pullup bar, so I can only do about 3-6 reps before my grip gives up. I'm doing these pullups because it's easier and more time effective than to do deads with them. Now on to the noob question. Do you think that the fat grip pullups are good enough to develop a stronger grip, or would it be better if I just took the extra time to do deadlifts with them? What would you do?

Haha, good question David. My thoughts are this: Use of thickbar is number one. If you can get more effective training in doing the pullups then I'd roll with that. As you've probably experienced, if a lift is too much a pain too do or takes to long, we end up doing it less and less until it's forgotten. More along the lines of your question, I'd ask what is your weak link on thickbar, fingers (open hand) or thumb (support)? Many claim their thumbs are too weak so I would suggest doing deadlifts. For me and some others you may feel the fingers are weak in that open position so pullups would be the way to go. I feel pullups put more stress on the fingers. What I have been doing is making absolutely everything thickbar. Axle squats, bench, deads, all dumbells, wrist levers, everything. Some thickbars are 2.5" and some 1.5", most 2". On rare occasion I'll just use a normal bar for deadlifts but will do DO grip. I'm seeing steady, slow gains. Finally my RT is coming up and I'll test the axle maybe next month for a max. The idea is I'm taking a page from strongman. Those guys don't try and max out on thickbar like we do yet when asked to max out they always kick most gripsters butts. They train with thickbar stuff everyday for years and slowly they build up that grip. If I can do the same, use thickbar on everything yet not try and max out on it much, then I can keep doing it everyday for years for gains.

My pullup bar is 1.5" btw.

• Like 1

Good Lawd. Do you do anything small? :D

That's an impressive gain considering we competed together in the 85kg class not too incredibly long ago.

Ha I'm in the same boat dude, but when I started lifting a couple years ago, I was 145, and I'm 6,5" tall! Now im about 218 I think... And I don't mind a little extra weight. Maybe I've got a little extra fat, but I don't mind, I'm not a bodybuilder. I'm not overweight, for sure. For my size, this is about right. Even my dad, who is about 280/285 is only marginally overweight, in my opinion.

Right on man. Sounds like the same boat but yours is just a little bigger. LOL. Yeah, I don't mind a little extra fat but I have gotten more than I want now. May just be the picky side of me since I've always been lean.

• Like 1

Good Lawd. Do you do anything small? :D

That's an impressive gain considering we competed together in the 85kg class not too incredibly long ago.

Haha, thanks Matt. Alot of people are noticing these last few pounds, friends, coworkers, etc. I was stuck at 205 for months because I was 50/50 on a diet and gaining. I've decided I can't do both well so I will just gain like a mofo until 220 and then drop some fat. Prob will be a 10# drop, then can get back to 220. I'd Iike to hold at 220 and still be fairly lean. Not for the BB reason, just because I've always opposed fat and it is just dead weight holding me back from a stronger true 220.

bench, axle

110 2x10

130 2x6

150 2x2

160 5x1

RT

55 2x5

100 2x1

125 2x1

135 1

140 1

145 1

150 3x1

Light day today so I made everything explosive as possible, especially the RT. Last grip day until the expo. Will do light weights and alot of BW cardio stuff until then. Felt really good today. Alot of energy. Looking forward to next week.

22 minute BW session. Still a light week.

3 sets

100 jumping jacks

10 pullups

30 pushups

15 situps

Thanks guys. Had a blast last time.

Geez I didn't even realize you had a log on here! Good luck next week, I'm sure you'll kill it.

Yup. Resurrected the log a couple weeks back. Not much the past week or so. Will get back to full steam after the expo.

Deadlifts, no belt, conv, okie bar, DO grip, all speed work.

135 2x6

225 2x6

315 10x1

Some light axle wrist curls, behind back and reverse. Just for some fresh blood.

Just pushups. 150 done in 6x25. Pretty easy. Last workout tomorrow then headed for a drive.

Before I forget....kick ass at the expo!!!!!!!!

I think John quite eloquently summed it up. :rock

• Like 1