Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

i'm wondering why you're working 2" v-bar. do you feel that carries over to other things or, do you just like it?

I've discovered it to have sparked some grip PRs. Originally I started to train it mainly because in my first training session with it I pulled 320. The WR is 341 so I thought it would be fun to build up to that. The second reason to try it was as a thickbar variation. Something that was 2" but didn't feel like a thickbar lift.

i'm wondering why you're working 2" v-bar. do you feel that carries over to other things or, do you just like it?

I've discovered it to have sparked some grip PRs. Originally I started to train it mainly because in my first training ses20sion with it I pulled 320. The WR is 341 so I thought it would be fun to build up to that. The second reason to try it was as a thickbar variation. Something that was 2" but didn't feel like a thickbar lift.

320 :mosher

plus its an awesome lift.

I've discovered it to have sparked some grip PRs. Originally I started to train it mainly because in my first training session with it I pulled 320. The WR is 341 so I thought it would be fun to build up to that. The second reason to try it was as a thickbar variation. Something that was 2" but didn't feel like a thickbar lift.

I feel the same way about anvil horn lifting... Unfortunately, at the moment, it's not in my regular schedule and I'm struggling to find a good place to put it. Haha

What kind of V-bar are u using? FBBC has some, they look nice.

Sat's bench, RT and some bending. All grip done between bench sets.

Bench, axle

110 2x10

130 1x7, 1x6

140 1x6

150 1x6

160 1x6

170 1

180 1

200 5x3 felt good. could of done a few more sets. unracking is a bitch though on my setup. takes too much out of me and puts the shoulders out of position.

RT, new handle. both hands, lower weight and more working sets.

100 2x3

124 1x3

150 1

160 1

170 1

175 1

160 5x3 regrip reps. just one second to regrip then pull. practicing on technique for a max single.

160 RH 1x10 regrip reps and held 3 seconds on last rep. LH 1x8 and no hold on last rep.

RT was strong. With each working set the grip got stronger and stronger. So I decided to max out on reps. Limiter may have been loss of chalk. Also getting good wrist flexion too which is helping. Def a good RT workout.

Bends, DO, new IMPs, no bands, 7"

9x32" O1 warmup

hexabastard 2 hits 4 degrees. Prob a 500 bar. Too much for me right now.

485# shiny bastard took to 108 degrees and was stopped. The sweep to crush transition is a sticking point sometimes. Man this bar ramps up. I'll work to finish it then try another one fresh.

I'm going to back off on bends until after a Red cert. Will just put in Reds once a week for now. Need to focus on the #3 and 200# RT if I want a chance at a multi cert in Jan.

• Like 2

i really want to see you nail this triple threat cert,,,,,It will be a great achievement to be proud of for sure!

Daniel, are you using a squat cage to bench from? I ask because I do, and I have the same problems of unracking and getting the shoulders in the proper position, so I just started benching off the pins from the bottom. Fixed the problem, but it is quite a bit harder.

i really want to see you nail this triple threat cert,,,,,It will be a great achievement to be proud of for sure!

Thanks Walter. It's going to be real tough. Building confidence in all three is quite harder than just pullling them off one at a time.

160 for 10 reps equals 213 lbs. in the one rep max calculator. I think you'll make it.

Thanks man. It'll be a close call. Calcs don't work well for grip but 200 is right there.

Daniel, are you using a squat cage to bench from? I ask because I do, and I have the same problems of unracking and getting the shoulders in the proper position, so I just started benching off the pins from the bottom. Fixed the problem, but it is quite a bit harder.

Yes, I use a cage. It's all new stuff so I'm getting used to it all. The bench is a little narrow and I think that's part of the issue. I also want to try putting an additional mat in the cage to raise things 3/4". Might help unrack the bar with better shoulder stability maintained.

Ah. Yeah for some reason, unracking from the cage is always awkward for me. But doing it from the bottom, I can always start in the best spot... It takes like 40lbs off what you can do, because it is just dead drive from the bottom, but you're stronger for it in the long run. When I do it off the top, it feels soooooo much easier. You might give it a try.

Last night did deads and 2" vbar.

Deads, sumo, okie bar

135 2x6

225 2x6

315 2x3

365 2x1

414 1

465 1

484 x Felt wrong

414 5x3 DO, loose belt

Man, technique felt way off, and has been for a little while. I think tonight I felt it was the stance width. With this bar I don't have the same reference point. It's too hip involved for my style. On the last 3 414 sets I brought the feet and grip in and it felt way better. The 484 miss just felt way off. It had nothing to do with back strength. Going to go back to axle deadlifts for a month to build my technique back and then transfer that to the okie bar.

2" vbar

69 1

115 1

160 1

205 1

252 1

298 RH 2x miss, LH got 1, miss 1

252 3x2 pulls to lockout

#3 (145#) CCS RH somewhere along the vbar workout.

Crap workout. Deadlifts technique is off. Also grip was smoked. Doing DO grip in the smooth part of the bar actually was a challenge at 3 rep sets. I knew the vbar would be off too but I just wanted to get some working sets in. At least I can still CCS the easy #3 without a gripper warmup.

I'll eat good today and do some squats tomorrow. Today is bench and RT but I'll just skip it.

Yesterday's squats. Was a weird day. Had a not so fun work day of 12 hours up and down stairs in a chemical suit with tools, totalling over 100 stories. Was also the 7th 12 hour shift in a row. Was definitely tired before I ever started squatting. I also mis-calced weight on the bar so I thought I had a big PR but really just tied a PR. At some point some 10s on the bar came off and never went back on. Well that's why I keep notes and video PR attempts.

squats, axle, knee sleeves

110 2x6

200 2x6

250 2x2

295 1 added belt

315 1

345 1

355 1

370 1

375 1

385 1 tied PR. Great depth past parallel. Haven't gone over 355 in months but now that I own a rack consistancy in training will start to show. Will try a real PR next week, hopefully with fresh legs this time!

315 2x3 extra dead squats, no belt or sleeves.

IM is currently "lining up a judge" for the Red and #3. I've asked to just do it at the LA Fitexpo next month since i'll already be there and Randall will be there with a booth. It's the only chance i'll have at the triple cert due to the CTD Challenge. I feel solid on the Red, the #3 is still a max effort but i've also done it both hands so that is good, and I haven't maxed yet on the RT since the super focused RT work I started doing. Hoping to close the 8# gap needed to lift it to lockout. 3 weeks to go...

• Like 4

IM is currently "lining up a judge" for the Red and #3. I've asked to just do it at the LA Fitexpo next month since i'll already be there and Randall will be there with a booth. It's the only chance i'll have at the triple cert due to the CTD Challenge. I feel solid on the Red, the #3 is still a max effort but i've also done it both hands so that is good, and I haven't maxed yet on the RT since the super focused RT work I started doing. Hoping to close the 8# gap needed to lift it to lockout. 3 weeks to go...

Good thing for you that "Chez Support" has recently been calibrated.

The "Chez" yelling at you is worth 5# on the IMHub, 7# on Grippers, 15# on the Axle and 10# on the RT...best you hedge a little and book him a ticket. :D

• Like 2

Good thing for you that "Chez Support" has recently been calibrated.

The "Chez" yelling at you is worth 5# on the IMHub, 7# on Grippers, 15# on the Axle and 10# on the RT...best you hedge a little and book him a ticket. :D

LMAO! GF will be there. She's uncalibrated but extremely supportive of my grip ventures. Even has competed and helped run a comp.

• Like 1

Got a full set of bands for Christmas. Minis and standard. Looking forward to adding those to the mix. :D

Bench and RT

bench, axle

110 2x6

130 2x6

150 2x6

160 1x3

170 1

180 1

190 1

200 1

210 1

222 1

232 x technique off. can't get it right in the new rack.

202 3x2

RT + bands

100 + red 1x3

100 + orange 1x3

125 + org 1x3

150 org 1

155 " 1

160 " 1

165 " 1

170 " 1

175 " RH 1 miss and 1 hop, LH 1 full lift

180 " LH 1

185.5 " LH 1 full, 1 hop, 1 miss

175 " LH 2x1 full, 1 hop, 1 miss. RH 1 hop.

Liking the bands on the RT. Depending on how many plates are on the pin and how wide I stand, the load with the orange band was anywhere from 5-15# at the top. It felt good to max with a band. When I hit a wall I could still hold the RT and just pull against the band right before it was too much to hold onto. That way I didn't drop it and it was a couple seconds right at the limit. Normally if you hit a limit on the RT the handle just flies out of the hand. Not really very effective to get a workout while maxing out. I'll mix in normal ME work and band ME on the RT. Not sure it will be very effective on sub ME working sets though.

185# + orange band

photobucket-27505-1356833524213.jpg

Little bit of awesomeness right there.

• Like 1

Was nice to do 96% effort lifts that ramped up past 100% near lockout. Then I could do a couple singles like this. I have two ways I can try and use the bands. I can try to fight the lift against the band for a little ME time under tension (which I did this day) or I can try and use speed to blast deeper into the band tension, which may make me drop it but at least there would be a moment of 100+% effort. I'll play with different ways to use the bands.

Deadlifts and grippers. This is the last heavy week, then a light week then a week off leading up to LA fitexpo.

deadlifts, okie bar, conv stance, touch+go reps

monster band = ~160# at lockout, orange = ~210#. Tested both and decided on monster black bands. good choice for this workout

135+orange short bands 1x6

135+monster mini short 1x6

225+monster 2x3

275 " 2x3

315 " 2x1

365 " 1

414 " 1. ~574# at lockout

434 " x miss about knees at lockout. ~ 594#

370 " 3x3. ~530#

Grippers

CCS

T 1x3

1 1

1.5 1

2 1

2.5 1

3 (153) misses each hand

3 (145) misses each hand

TNS

2 speed 3x3

2 hold 20 sec

Deadlifts felt great. I liked the bands conv stance. The monster mini short black bands were a good choice today. Not sure how I'll be able to use them sumo stance??

Grippers felt way off strength wise. Hands are feeling fried. Will be doing an early ramp down of grip leading up to LA. Last RT workout was a rough one.

just found out the monster bands are measured per pair so it's +80lbs at lockout, not 160#. the elitefts chart had tiny ass fine print that I couldn't see from my phone. I honestly can't tell what the weight feels like at lockout. feels different than plates.

so the heavy singles and reps were...

414+monster band = ~494

434+band (miss)= ~514

370+band = ~450

Still pleased with those numbers for conv stance. I don't think I've ever lifted over 455 conv stance for a ME single.

Edited by daniel reinard

Daniel...with the RT, I found I made HUGE leaps in strength following Laine's routine. 2-3 times a week, I was adding 5-10 lbs each session.

However, my forearms and grip are now shot. There were days that I couldnt MMS a #1 the day AFTER.

I know its like three weeks away. Try wearing oven mitts on your DO deads and RT training. Drop the weight a bit and take it to failure the first week, pull decent singles the second, then do the comp...

Here is one of the working sets after the max single. 370+bands