Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Daniel...with the RT, I found I made HUGE leaps in strength following Laine's routine. 2-3 times a week, I was adding 5-10 lbs each session.

However, my forearms and grip are now shot. There were days that I couldnt MMS a #1 the day AFTER.

I know its like three weeks away. Try wearing oven mitts on your DO deads and RT training. Drop the weight a bit and take it to failure the first week, pull decent singles the second, then do the comp...

I really wanted to do the Laine program this thickbar cycle but it didn't jive with the #3 and Red cert work. My forearms are super smoked right now so I will just do light stuff with a big break before the expo cert attempts. It's too close and with already smoked arms to try and do more hard work for growth. I feel my RT is better than when I started the cycle. I can tell the base strength is higher and the max is slightly higher.

After that expo and cert attempts I'll go back to a full 2HP and something else cycle. Right now since I use thickbar almost daily, 2x week RT, and once a week 2" vbar or grippers...well those grips are fried. I can tell my recovery rate is really low. Bending didn't help that either. It's time I do pinch again and somehow ramp up to the March Cactus comp. Not sure how I'll fit grippers in there. I might just do gripper only a month out from the comp.

Whats your max? Around 450? I go there and talk shit to you about how far you traveled to lose, you hit the ammonia cap and pull 500. Deal?

Whats your max? Around 450? I go there and talk shit to you about how far you traveled to lose, you hit the ammonia cap and pull 500. Deal?

haha max what? DL or axle? I'm not competing this year. Just looking to cert, check the scenes and mingle more. Last time I was there I didn't get a chance to do those things the way I wanted.

Ahhh ok...i thought you were competing.

Squats and Blobs.

Squats, axle, knee sleeves

110 2x6

200 2x6

250 1x3

270 1x2

295 1. added belt

315 1

344 1

364 3x1 94% 1rm. Wanted 5 singles but on 3rd single I felt a pop in my bottom left rib. Things then wanted to tighten up. Not sure how I popped the bottom rib. Feels ~4" from spine center line. Lower back was a little tight from monday's deads but I did some light stretching to try and loosen it up. I got a tad pitched forward but no where near any good morning danger zone.

York Blobs

40#

50#

52# (fatman)

Blobzilla Easy RH, 1/2 lift LH.

Fatman Facelift easy LH, hop RH.

A couple 50+52 double facelifts. Kept missing RH, hops.

Fatman reverse hops LH.

Fatman facelifts RH working single attempts, was real close to full lockouts.

Fatman normal lifts LH for working singles. Did enough lifts and holds to start dropping it.

Haven't touched blobs in many months yet they all felt great. Facelifts LH are easy still. Can still pick blobzilla. RH is still really close to a fatman facelift. It feels like I am around 98% strength with them from my blob peaks. This is a sign it's time for a pinch cycle again. I already knew that and planned for it after the LA expo.

Thinking the rib "pop" in squats today was an intercostal muscle strain, grade 1 or 2. In time it will heal. Probably means no heavy squats or deads for a couple weeks. Was planning on deload and rest weeks anyways

Thinking the rib "pop" in squats today was an intercostal muscle strain, grade 1 or 2. In time it will heal. Probably means no heavy squats or deads for a couple weeks. Was planning on deload and rest weeks anyways

Maybe it was just your body ensuring that you would follow through with you deload plan. It doesn't want you mind getting in the way of your ETC (EpicTripleCert).

I think most gripsters have a tendency to overdo, rather than under.

• Like 1

Hope its nothing serious and you get back to lifting heavy soon dude.

Maybe it was just your body ensuring that you would follow through with you deload plan. It doesn't want you mind getting in the way of your ETC (EpicTripleCert).

I think most gripsters have a tendency to overdo, rather than under.

Aye, but I'd like to think I've been around enough to stick to plans. I sure hope it doesn't affect the certs.

Thanks guys. Ice and rest is all I can do for it.

Bench and RT

bench, axle

110 2x6

130 2

150 2x6

160 1x3

170 1

180 1

190 1

200 1

210 1

222 1

232 x technique off. can't get it right in the new rack.

202 3x2

RT + bands

100 + red 1x3

100 + orange 1x3

125 + org 1x3

150 org 1

155 " 1

160 " 1

165 " 1

170 " 1

175 " RH 1 miss and 1 hop, LH 1 full lift

180 " LH 1

185.5 " LH 1 full, 1 hop, 1 miss

175 " LH 2x1 full, 1 hop, 1 miss. RH 1 hop.

Liking the bands on the RT. Depending on how many plates are on the pin and how wide I stand, the load with the orange band was anywhere from 5-15# at the top. It felt good to max with a band. When I hit a wall I could still hold the RT and just pull against the band right before it was too much to hold onto. That way I didn't drop it and it was a couple seconds right at the limit. Normally if you hit a limit on the RT the handle just flies out of the hand. Not really very effective to get a workout while maxing out. I'll mix in normal ME work and band ME on the RT. Not sure it will be very effective on sub ME working sets though.

I would keep my stance the same. It would probally mess u up to change it

Hit a bodyweight PR of 210#. I'd like to add 10# more then can do a cut. I hit a plateau around 205 and have been trying to break that for months now. With that being said i've had to resort to putting on a little fat with the good stuff. So I know I'll want to shed the fat when I get to 220. Beefcake!

• Like 1

Dude, if you're looking to gain, Ive been doing a buttload of squats and have gone up around 8 pounds in maybe 6 weeks, sitting solid at 218 now, the heaviest I've ever been.

Dude, if you're looking to gain, Ive been doing a buttload of squats and have gone up around 8 pounds in maybe 6 weeks, sitting solid at 218 now, the heaviest I've ever been.

I squat once a week and during my last training cycle it was 2x/9 days. I'm more concerned with functional strength as it pertains to grip and bending. I could add fat too but it won't help those things. I also don't do well with extreme high frequency squatting. I do a butt load of stairs at work which kills my recovery. What ends up happening is deadlifts suffer and when that happens I lose the best excercise for grip and overall training. Been doing alot of benching since it's a weakness and has been helping my grip and bending alot. Deadlifts are of course always there and always helping.

Bench, blobs and bending. One could say that's the B complex vitamins of grip.

Bench, axle

110 2x10

130 2x6

150 1x6

160 10x1 speed singles. The torn rib started to get pissed at 160 so I stopped there and kept things simple.

Blobs

40#

50#

52# fatman facelift work both hands. getting closer to lockout with the RH. LH is still easy as hell to facelift and walk around the garage.

Bending, IMPs no bands, all 7"

340# O1

Red, solid look. I believe these to be of a limited batch that came out Jan of last year that are 440ish.

304SS 47 seconds. This is a full bend PR. I'd guess this is ~475# but it was hard to tell. When the technique is off it's hard to judge difficulty sometimes.

Did you feel any pain in your rib during blobs or bending? I know rib injuries can suck.

Did you feel any pain in your rib during blobs or bending? I know rib injuries can suck.

I felt it on benching when the weight started to get decent. I could feel it a little on bending on the kink. It made it hard to get in position. The back was stiffed up. I didn't really feel it on blobs. This injury is a mild one that still allows lighter movements and no pain when coughing. Sleeping is still a bear though. That's the hardest part so far. At the least it's healing fast. It will be probably 2 more weeks before it's almost gone. Not bad.

Yeah, I've been squatting twice a week for a couple months, just to get my squat numbers back up since I started doing deep squats... Soon though I'm going to cut I back to once a week, the twice a week volume is difficult to recover from, but the volume in one workout makes for good gains, for me at least. And it's "functional", not just for mass. John Davis did 60-80 squats in a given workout, and his strength was definitely functional. Haha

Hope your ribs get better soon man!

Yeah, I've been squatting twice a week for a couple months, just to get my squat numbers back up since I started doing deep squats... Soon though I'm going to cut I back to once a week, the twice a week volume is difficult to recover from, but the volume in one workout makes for good gains, for me at least. And it's "functional", not just for mass. John Davis did 60-80 squats in a given workout, and his strength was definitely functional. Haha

well, as it pertains to grip and bending no.

yeah it can be hard to recover from at times depending on my workload. That one extra squat day seems to screw the whole week over so I ditched it. It brought my base strength up but not so much the max. I got better 1rm gains from once a week anyways.

Well, I dont know about it in relation to grip or bending, but for me, the big attraction of it is increasing the power of my leg drive in the clean, and in the leg kick for the push press, as well as stability in the lower body when pressing overhead... Not so concerned about the 1RM haha. But agreed, twice a week is getting to be too much. Thinking about trading out the second day with cleans, treated as a primary lift.

yesterday deadlifts. felt good despite the rib. didn't go nuts so it can heal.

deads, conv, okie bar

135 3x6 DO

225 2x6 DO

315 3x1 DO speed

365 1x1 DO speed

390 1x1 DO belt

414 3x1 DO belt

230+orange bands (~105#)1x1

250+orange 1x1

280+orange 5x1 so about 385 at the top.

Felt good. Really felt like going heavier on the normal sets and using a bigger band on banded sets but I minded the rib. It's been less than a week. Even though it feels alot better it is not healed and I want to avoid further injury.

pullups

5x5 putting these back into my routine slowly. elbows are a little buggered at the moment or I'd be doing max rep sets.

I've got a grip noob question for you!!!

I've recently been doing pullups with the Manus grip. They rotate pretty good on the thin pullup bar, so I can only do about 3-6 reps before my grip gives up. I'm doing these pullups because it's easier and more time effective than to do deads with them. Now on to the noob question. Do you think that the fat grip pullups are good enough to develop a stronger grip, or would it be better if I just took the extra time to do deadlifts with them? What would you do?

I tried what mobsterone suggested, 2 all out sets on 85-90% of 1rm and im done.

Getting stronger every workout since i started.

Cool setup with the band, ill try it man