Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Bumping the Wednesday deadlifts to tomorrow. Thursday is an off day but I slide my workouts around to fit my schedules.

Deadlifts with the okie bar to get used to it. Wore volleyball shoes too so was like a 3/4" deficit day. LOL. I have a torn arch tendon so am trying to wear shoes to let it heal. I guess I've had it for 6 or so months. All reps were touch and go. I needed time under tension today. Lately it has been reset reps to help my setup but now I'll be back to touch and go for a while.

135 3x6 conv/sumo/sumo testing stances to choose what to work today

225 2x6 conv/sumo

315 2x6 sumo/conv

365 1x3 conv it is today. sumo felt off.

414 1x3 conv, added belt

424 1x3 conv mixed grip

434 X form on setup didn't feel right so backed off

414 4x1 first one mixed grip then went to all DO grip. Some of them the bar was in the fingers not palm to hit grip a little more.

414/315/225/135 dropset finisher. I needed this. got 1/6/10/10 with reps being speed reps all DO grip.

Might do Saturdays bench and RT on Friday simply because I'll have more time tomorrow and will be less tired from work.

• Like 2

Hey Daniel, found this article recently. It's a lot of basics but also some little details on how to lift better.

Maybe you've read it already. but I found it very nice and informative to read.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/deadlift/

Keep it up! I'm off for a weekend, nice and lovely, but no training until next tuesday... :sick::grin: Oh well.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Thanks Geralt. I'll give that a read tonight.

So, daniel, do you only do like 1 or 2 lifts per session?

Yes. I wish I had time for more but that's it, just about 60-90 minutes. Being a single dad, the dating life, and most particularly the 13hour rotating shift work...well my training time is always limited. I had to cut alot of stuff out and can only really do the main lifts. Often I superset grip in for obvious reasons. It's the best I can do and i'm still only getting 5-7 hours of sleep.

• Like 1

Yes. I wish I had time for more but that's it, just about 60-90 minutes. Being a single dad, the dating life, and most particularly the 13hour rotating shift work...well my training time is always limited. I had to cut alot of stuff out and can only really do the main lifts. Often I superset grip in for obvious reasons. It's the best I can do and i'm still only getting 5-7 hours of sleep.

Dude, I feel for you :S I have 3 kids 1, 3 and 5 yrs old, and my wife works alot. Its (bad word filter)ing hard to find time to train :) Watch out, so that you dont burn out man :S

• Like 1

Haha I did google it (took me three looks to decipher the acronym) I just thought maybe it was like a buffalo bar or a different shape or flex.

Ah, no I understand. When I was working on this farm all summer, thats all I had time for really, a couple lifts per session. Only about 45-60 minutes to do it. Not to mention the energy requirement. Haha

And actually I really like doing it that way, but right now I'm tryin to add on some more pounds and mass, so I'm doing a lot of lifts. Like 5-6 per session.

Yeah, that's life. I lift around the kiddo's school or naps. The gf is cool with working around what i'm doing so that's great. It's work that really kills things. Before the new schedule with 12 hour shifts it was easy to lift alot and make fast gains. It took me close to 3 months to figure out a way to work out and not kill myself in the process. Gains are slower of course. I built a home gym to help save time going to the gym. That has helped alot. Now I can find my groove again.

• Like 1

Did tomorrows bench and RT work today. Felt good despite one less rest day.

Bench, axle

110 2x6

130 2x3

140 2x3

150 1x3

160 1x3

170 1x3

185 5x6 added 5# and did 2 more sets than I did on Tuesday. Gonna keep pushing this up. Not gonna max for a while.

RT, new stance

53 2x3

100 3

124 2

150 1

160 1

175 1

184.81 got RH, 2 misses LH. Weird. The LH is normally stronger.

189.81 miss RH

174.81 4x3 sec holds

150 1x3 touch go reps

Tried to tear a tennis ball. I have no clue where to even start...

Edited by daniel reinard

So I normally have the dogs in the garage with me while I lift. They like to hang out. But I have one dog that is like that annoying gym goer who sneaks up on your equipment at the gym in between your sets. She likes to plop down right where I was lifting and she doesn't like to move. Dropping weights just don't scare them. Overconfident bitches.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

Maybe they just like you warming up the spot for them?

Maybe they just like you warming up the spot for them?

Quite likely. When I looked back at Bree after recording she was exactly back to that spot next to the RT. Exactly. Funny dog.

• Like 1

I just noticed you started logging your workouts here again. Pretty cool. Look forward to following it buddy.

• Like 2

I just noticed you started logging your workouts here again. Pretty cool. Look forward to following it buddy.

Thanks man. hopefully it won't be a bad read. lol

For those that don't know, here is my training plan. Might be nice to map it out what it is I'm doing, and logging.

95% of all work is on thickbar, except specific deadlifts day for maxing out. Also every exercise is rotated from heavy and lights days. eg, so whatever the last gripper or bench day was it will be the latter.

Monday: squats weekly. rotate every other week 2" vbar and grippers.

Tues: bench, sometimes bending DO in IMPs, and RT or Inch (not cycling RT or inch but just doing one of the two based on feel that day)

Wed: deadlifts. sumo and conv is a 50/50 split with alot of work going to conv with maxing done on sumo.

Thurs: off

Fri: off or a prehab day of curls, wrists or whatever I feel I need for prehab. lately I have just been using the day as an off day.

Sat: Bench, bend or RT/inch again.

Sunday: off

I try to keep the order the same but can slide days around to fit life. eg, deadlift Thursday and take Wed off instead. Or like this week doing Tues and Wed together on Tues to free up Wed for personal time. I am not hardcore stick to workouts. I'll feel things out and fiddle from time to time, maybe skip certain workouts, take impromptu deload weeks, etc. To me biofeedback is the way. You'll notice some stuff is every other week, some weekly and some 2x a week. Depending on how the body likes each lift I set those training schedules accordingly for each lift.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 2

Monday Squats and first gripper day in a few weeks. Supersetting the workout.

Squats on axle

110 3x7

160 2x6

200 1x6, 1x3

250 1x3

270 1x3

290 1x3

315 5x3 Added belt. Did heavy doubles last week so went lighter with triple work this week. Getting my legs back from not being able to squat over 300 (due to equipment access) for last couple of months.

Grippers, all CCS except last TNS set

T 1x3 both hands

1 1x2

2 1x2

2.5 1

3 (145#) Got RH, 2x miss LH by 1mm

3 (153#) 2x miss RH by a mm or two.

2.5 1x3 LH

2.5 TNS and hold to failure both hands as a quick finisher. Ran out of time.

T Ring/pinky inverted 1x10 sec hold. Wanted to do working set holds with a 1 but ran out of time before work.

Felt off today on everything. Squats was harder than it should be also missing the 153 #3 was a bummer. I'm always weaker while working graves so I will chalk it up to that. Also bending has increased and that normally hurts grippers. I'll be backing down on bending now that I feel the Red locked in solid.

Oh, I got some Q and R drill rod in today. That's .332" and .339", the next two sizes up from 21/64". Just like grippers this stuff varies alot more as you go bigger. The Battlebar is now on my radar for maybe next year so this is what I need to hit in prep. The BB is a 7" R bar rated at 520#. Sometimes R can rate as high as 630+ so who knows what I got until I bend some. Sometimes 21/64" is 500+ so overall I'll just have to work the 520 kink and R type massive crush. This crush is stupid hard compared to the 520 kink. Also have some 485 shinies and 500ish hexabastards coming. Those will be great practice.

Yeah buddy. After the golden bastard crush, these shinies should be going down. Looked like Tommy had a harder time with the SS Hex than the battlebar.

Yeah buddy. After the golden bastard crush, these shinies should be going down. Looked like Tommy had a harder time with the SS Hex than the battlebar.

I thought the same. He mentioned the hex hurts a helluva lot more. Overall the bend just looked tougher. I don't know what a SS hex rates but I'm guessing 540ish considering a CRS hex is 505ish. If the BB is 500-520 a SS hex would seal the deal.

I'll try a CRS hexabastard on Saturday I think. Either that or a 485 rated shiny. Someone has mailed them kindly. I'm excited to try big boy stuff.

• Like 2

Overall the bend just looked tougher.

And by tougher, we mean it took 25 seconds instead of 20 :dry

Overall the bend just looked tougher.

And by tougher, we mean it took 25 seconds instead of 20 :dry

LOL. A 5 second difference or a 20% reduction in time...could go either way. LOL

Tuesday's bench and RT and added Wednesday's deadlifts. I think starting next week squats and deads will be flip flopped in the week. Need a change.

Everything felt heavier than normal today so weights were a little lighter than normal. Just finished the grave week so I think that is part of it.

Deadlifts - okie bar, conv stance, touch and go reps, DO grip, beltless

135 3x6

225 3x6

315 1x6

370 7x1 speed singles. moved slow as hell today due to yesterdays squats. wanted 415 speed singles.

Bench, axle

110 2x6

140 2x6

160 6x6 nothing hard. weight felt heavy today and I plan to go heavy Sat anyways.

RT, both hands

100 2x3

125 1

150 1

160 1

170 1

180 2x1

170 4 sets of singles w/ 3 sec hold at top

170/160/150 dropset finish L-R hands respectively, got 3-2 / 4-0 / 6-6. Weird the left hand suddenly felt strong when the right was the strong one in the working sets. Last set stopped at 6 reps cuz it flet pointless to keep tapping reps.

#3 145# Right hand CCS close. Did it somewhere along in the workout on a whim. Just grabbed it and CCS'd it even though yesterday was the gripper workout. Just a test I guess.

i'm wondering why you're working 2" v-bar. do you feel that carries over to other things or, do you just like it?